#21 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

micro pore works good.. as 3m and tr says its not the best, but i have been using it for lc breather holes for 2 1/2 years and never had a contaminated lc.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#22 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

2 or 3 layers of micropore is probably better than one.

with cakes, it shouldn't matter much as long as you have

a verm barrier.

#23 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

Thanks warfrat and kc - I appreciate the info.  I shall add a few more layers rather than turn the containers upside down... although I may turn a few upside down just to see what happens...

#24 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Well, things continue to progress very nicely with most jars 1/3 to 1/2 completely colonized.  There are a couple of stragglers that probably got the end of the syringe, and one that is no showing any growth at all.  Using this one as a "control" to watch for contaminants.  So far it looks the same as the day it was put into the incubator.

#25 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Removed the single jar without any signs of growth.  No contaminants ever started but I wanted to check the consistency and moisture level so I examined it and was very happy to find that it was completely containment free and was at the prime moisture content desired.  The substrate did not smell bad - in fact it was like I had just put it in place - nothing to indicated that it was 3 weeks old.

The other containers are filling out nicely and I hope to have full colonization and perhaps first pins in a couple of weeks.  I will keep you all posted.

• kcmoxtractor and TurkeyRanch like this

#26 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

pictures!

cheezburger_cat.jpg

Hows that?

Real pics soon when I get a chance - but trying to keep contam opprotunities to a minimum.

#27 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

How much Water? H2O2? Just squeezing out the excess isn't part of a recipe. Other than that, it was good ingredient list and could be repeated a number of different ways to validate the process. Do mushrooms, or their spawn use O2 and release CO2, or is it the other way around? Do they not need CO2 because they don't photosythesize? (*sp).

• CatsAndBats and SteampunkScientist like this

#28 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

How much Water? H2O2? Just squeezing out the excess isn't part of a recipe. Other than that, it was good ingredient list and could be repeated a number of different ways to validate the process. Do mushrooms, or their spawn use O2 and release CO2, or is it the other way around? Do they not need CO2 because they don't photosythesize? (*sp).

I only used the H2O2 as the initial "liquid" before PC.  The heat of the PC breaks down the H2O2 into water and oxygen during the sterilization process.  The idea is, kill as much contams  as possible before PC even starts, and then the PC kills off the weakened survivors.

So by the time the spore mix goes in, there is no H2O2 left in the substrate.

Other more informed members can tell you more detail about the CO2 cycle of mycelium.

• mjroom likes this

#29 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Found this Google search:

"Hydrogen peroxide available at drug stores is three percent solution. In such small concentrations, it is less stable, and decomposes faster. It is usually stabilized with acetanilide, a substance which has toxic side effects in significant amounts."

Look like the H2O2 to 2H2O + O2 works if the right amount of heat for the right amount of time.

#30 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Did that not go through?

Hydrogen peroxide available at drug stores is three percent solution. In such small concentrations, it is less stable, and decomposes faster. It is usually stabilized with acetanilide, a substance which has toxic side effects in significant amounts."

#31 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hydrogen peroxide available at drug stores is three percent solution. In such small concentrations, it is less stable, and decomposes faster. It is usually stabilized with acetanilide, a substance which has toxic side effects in significant amounts.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 08 December 2014 - 09:01 PM.
Fixed text

#32 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

Tha'ts not really that funny. One more time, "3% H2O2 sold in drug stores has a toxic additive added to keep it from decomposing. Looked up "what do you get if you boil H2O2"

#33 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

Wow. I didn't know that you cannot copy/paste. If you click on the link and hit edit, the full text comes in, but even adding a bit and changing the format doesn't make it visible.

#34 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Here is a promised pic.  Sorry so dark.

1206141858a.jpg

Interesting about the acetanilide - probably not that much seeing as you can use H2O2 in contact lenses and as mouth wash - and of course, to clean wounds.  So far the Mycelium don't seem to mind.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 08 December 2014 - 08:07 PM.

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#35 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Wow. I didn't know that you cannot copy/paste. If you click on the link and hit edit, the full text comes in, but even adding a bit and changing the format doesn't make it visible.

You can, but you sometimes must edit out the font and color code if you copy paste from offsite. I fixed that color issue for you.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 08 December 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#36 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Apparently not. I read in another post that it can be swabbed on white fuzz to remove it. What with Lysol, clorox and alcohol added to the mix, you would think it would be more resistant to mold. Found out that shrooms respire, or take in O2 and release CO2 like we do, not so much when it is colonizing, and in the dark, but when it fruits. I may try this, and using h2o2 on some blocks that are growing white, and not fruiting. Next batch I might try your recipe. Your picture is pretty dark, I see a skull, was that in there?

#37 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

Oh, and thanks Turkey Ranch for doing whatever it is you did. 

#38 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

If you are seeing skulls well... :biggrin:

The white is the colonization, the dark are the areas still to be colonized.  These cups in front are my least colonized and I Want to keep an eye on them so I put the almost fully colonized in the back.  I most likely will end up puttin those that start pinning into the fruiting chamber, while these slow-pokes keep colonizing.  It's cold in here so.... its taking a little longer.

#39 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

Okay, this is weird, I am starting to see some pins on cakes that are still not fully colonized.  Anyone ever have to deal with that?

#40 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

Sure. I would leave it until it stalls out, or fully colonizes. If you take it out you risk losing the pins. They will grow big in the jar, and when it's fully colonized it is much more resistant to contamination.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!