#62 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

I agree and that's what we are doing. I have been thinking about how humidity works, and between that and barometric pressure, it's what causes the weather.

Inside this grow chamber there are two struggles going on, one to remove the moisture from the plastic bag with the water inside, and one trying to suck the moisture from the chamber and move it to the outside room. There is almost exactly 20 units difference in each one. Does that indicate my grow chamber is almost equal in containment as a sealed garbage bag? Hmmmmm.

#63 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Alright, I couldn't resist. I had to have a sniff and a look. There is very slight smell of Clorox still, smells very clean, and every single piece you can see from the sides is growing out. What's that been, 2 days? This is amazing.

lazloday2.jpg

#64 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yeah I saw rhizo in mine, I peeked when you posted..

#65 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

Well, Well.....what have we here!!! We have whales here, captain.

Just set up a fruiting chamber with salt/perlite, and had to move this project. It seems very wet. No water in bottom thought when tilted. 

lazloday4.jpg

On the right we have an eruption, bustin' out all above ground and such!!!

I think maybe it's time to consider what is next. Is there a next? Should I prepare another perlite bottom chamber for this? 

BTW this is the morning of the fifth day after starting this. 

Edited by happy4nic8r, 23 December 2014 - 03:16 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#66 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

i would wipe the water off of the walls in that tub h4n.

next, i would get a duplicate of that tub and put it over the top, dubtub style.

• CatsAndBats and happy4nic8r like this

#67 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hey Catattack:

I started another comparison paper grow, with paper from the shredder this time. I used some stalled out jars from October, not fully colonized, but no visible contams. The first one continues to expand it's growth to the surface and beyond. Do you have pictures? What is the next step? 

lazloshred1.jpg

lazloshred2.jpg

I processed the shredded paper the same, hot water and bleach 4 hour, although it soaked in immediately. I used the same bucket that I taped some screen on for perlite to drain paper. Works good. 

#68 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Did you discard the uncolonized sub in the stalled jars? Did you spawn to the paper yet?  I would think it is EXTREMELY vulnerable to contamination once it's exposed to open air.  

If you haven't opened them...

I would open them, smell them, if the ONLY smell you smell is yummy mushroom smell, then I would rinse off the non-colonized sub, dunk for 24hrs in the fridge and then spawn to the paper.

That's what I would do.

Edited by catattack, 24 December 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#69 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

So far: the original newspaper project has lots of growth. It is inside a dome dub-tub inside a lidded glass aquarium. It was sweating a lot inside the plastic bag. Still smells fresh, so sign of any contams. 

lazlo11.jpg

The shredded paper is still in the plastic bag, and yes I did a lot of surgery removing old verm, uncolonized, etc before cutting up and distributing. I think I'll keep it at arms length since the flat paper is doing so well. 

Paper medium in either case is pretty contam-resistant so far. Real faint clorox odor, doesn't seem to bother the colonists.

#70 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Agreed. My paperback grow has been dunked after colonization and had bleach treatment (not diluted for visible contams), plus the original bleach pasteurization. 

check out today's photo:

https://mycotopia.ne...ack-grow/page-3

Edited by catattack, 25 December 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#71 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

Nice thread!

#72 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

lazlo12dec26.jpg

I am coming for your weeeemen's!!!!

And the root of the rhizo:

lazlo13dec26.jpg

So far very contam resistant. Myc seems to respect the barriers/layer of wet paper. No hint of anything I can see around the edges.

Started this on the 8th so this is progress at 8 days.

Edited by happy4nic8r, 26 December 2014 - 04:41 PM.

• kcmoxtractor, Needles, Microbe and 1 other like this

#73 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

You need to try to capture that rope on some agar and try to isolate it IMO. It will give you something to do while your pushing your mushrooms along in its lifecycle. Again nice job!
  • Needles and happy4nic8r like this

#74 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

lazloshred3.jpg

Four days in on the lazlo shred project and it smells like clorox and wet paper. It is starting to grow out though, and I love the dark spots in the paper really hiding the possible contams. Even though these were not happy spawn, they seem to prefer the paper to the jar. No problem with moisture, it does not collect on the plastic so far.

I have no idea what the next step with this is. I have a few more days until my agar plates get delivered, and still wonder where I coulda woulda shoulda gone with this and the other paper grow. 

If mushrooms start popping up, I suppose I could flip it onto a drying rack on top of perlite in a fruiting chamber, and give it plenty of FAE and misting. 

Any suggestions, most of the postings on this tech stop around this point?

#75 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

That's exactly what I do, cookie cooling rack in my saltwater/perlite/ FC.. Nice dense shorter fruits (one that I'm still trying to isolate). 

• happy4nic8r likes this

#76 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

This is a better picture, the flash covered the growth in the last one. 

lazloshred4.jpg

Is there a point where it is best to transplant from plastic container to fresh air over perlite? Something to look for?

I am going to try some rhizo growing on agar plates, and depending on how colonized this becomes, I may blend up some into slurry for some cracked corn jars.

How many flushes might this be good for?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#77 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

in theory 3 I only took one and then tossed by accident

#78 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

It's out of the plastic now, and really easy to do that since it was slightly smaller than the shoe box. I had to add some legs to the cookie rack, perlite was too deep.

lazlo14dec27.jpg

This project looks ready to explode. What a great way to expand the area of your jars.

#79 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

good luck brother, mine needs to colonize more.   :weedpoke:

#80 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

Here's an update on the shredded paper project. It has been 5 days since putting 4 stalled out brf/ verm pf cakes that were 50% useful, from last October. Minor contams were cut well away.

This mycelium that was doing nothing is really taking over the paper substrate.  

lazlo15dec28.jpg

Still smells clean and only sweating the plastic a little. Might drill some air holes today, I've been just fanning it. I was really hoping to find something to do with semi-colonized cakes other than throw them away.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!