• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

I harvested some of my fatalii peppers and sliced them open with a razor so they could dry out easier. Bent over to take a closer look and the capsaicin fumes wafting up were intense enough to scorch my nose hairs. A couple of inhales were all that were necessary to make my eyes water and my lower eyelids bead up with sweat.

They're not even the hottest chili pepper i've got out in my test garden.  :ohmy:

• bugs, PsyBearknot, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#2 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

How do they compare to ghost or scorpions? My buddy gifted me a few of each. I've tried chilli that had some of each in it. Everyone who ate it was sweating but it was tolerable. I didn't sweat but shit was hot from your stomach not your mouth so much

#3 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

3 red are ghost the small orange is a scorpion1415412984508.jpg
  • TastyBeverage likes this

#4 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

Fatalli 2 mill sco.

Scorpion 1.2 mill sco.

Impressive

Edited by Luckyloser, 07 November 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#5 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

Fatalii are currently ranked as the 7th hottest according to Guiness. They range between 125K scoville units to 400K units, typically testing above 250K. A lot of things will affect how your peppers turn out, including how hot it is, how much direct sunlight, etc. They have a bright, citrus fruit taste and while searingly hot, the heat does not build or linger the way that it does when eating a habanero.

Ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) and scorpion peppers are hotter, in that order. The scorpions will have lingering heat like a habanero.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#6 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

We grew a few pounds of Fatalii this year and I could not be more pleased with the flavor and level of heat. 

I made a few different fermented hot sauces as well as some vinegar based sauces and still have a half gallon jar of dried fatalii for the winter.

I will definitely be growing this pepper again!

• bugs, TastyBeverage, kcmoxtractor and 2 others like this

#7 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

Maybe I shouldn't trust the first thing I read lol. That's interesting. The lunch truck that comes around makes a habenero sauce for the tacos. Very tasty.

#8 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

I'm very pleased with mine as well! They did great in large containers in my test garden-- very robust, healthy plants.

I think i may overwinter them in the greenhouse.

• bugs and kcmoxtractor like this

#9 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

Oh man I wish I had a spot or the weather to over winter lucky girl.

I grew mine in a lasagne garden over mostly sandy very poor "soil" (I hesitate to even call it soil) and they thrived.  I only had to water them a few times all summer and they grew into beautiful 3 foot by 3 foot bushes.  They didn't produce as well as my habeneros but their flavor more than makes up for it.

• TastyBeverage likes this

#10 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

Oo, that's good to know about the soil conditions, thanks! I am putting a note about that in my farming notebook.

I have an orange habanero and the red sevina habanero in the test garden as well, but they still have green fruits on them for the most part. I don't think i'll be able to hrvest seed from them unless i put them in the green house at this point. Too bad the greenhouse is at the new farm, several hours away.  :deadhorse:

#11 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hey, Bev. What exactly do you use your super hot hot hot peppers for? I always wondered how people use things that are so danged hot in their home cooking and stuff. The hottest we do here are habanero and those mainly go into chili or spicy seafood dishes. The smallest amount goes a long way, so I can't begin to imagine what you use those hotter peppers for. Do you make your own sauces? I bet if you sell them you make a bunch on those. There are so many hothead super spicy pepper and sauce obsessed people online who are willing to pay lots of money for home-made sauces that use those on-fire peppers.

#12 Mushnoob1976

Mushnoob1976

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

I have seen entire stores devoted to nothing but hot pepper sauces.I like to use sriracha but that's extent of my use of hot peppers.I've seen people make fermented sauces on their own with the hottest peppers possible.Not for me but I do love watching people try the hot ones.Jalapenos are a staple in almost all of my cooking(except breakfast).

#13 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

The hottest I generally go is jalapeno, and I only sometimes use habaneros in certain dishes. I've never tried the actual Sriracha brand hot sauce, but I like to use a creamy sandwich spread that is Sriracha-flavored. I put that stuff on lots of different foods. Very tasty and not too spicy so I can still enjoy it.

#14 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:11 AM

My peppers are for making money! I grew this year in order to harvest seed so that i could greatly expand my grow op next year. All the seed from next year will be sold at a premium to other chili heads. Chah ching!  :cool:

The fruit i am drying to grind into pepper powder that can be used like cayenne powder or whatnot. 

• bugs, Juthro and tobh like this

#15 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,592 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

Another way to deal with a surplus of pepper fruit is to smoke them as you dry them, before you grind them into powder. I make my own smoked paprika and chipotle powder this way. It's not hard to do at all, I've seen it done with cardboard boxes and some old racks out of a fridge, though I would advise a little nicer set up than that for ease of sanitation.

The easiest setup with the least investment IMO would use a BBQ grill that you already own, and a pellet burner ($20 to $40 bucks new) that you load the hard wood pellets (like a Traeger grill burns, also cheap) of your preference in. They just smolder and smoke, no real heat created. The one I have can smoke for about 8 hours on a tray of pellets. That's a LOT of smoke.

That and chili and paprika powders, especially when smoked, have a very good retail value. That and the bonus of long shelf life without refrigeration and not taking up much space.

Admittedly I am kind of a smoking addict, lol. But if you want more info, PM me and I'll send you to some good web sites for equipment and ideas.
  • TastyBeverage, coorsmikey, PsyBearknot and 2 others like this

#16 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

Last year I overwintered two Giant Thai plants. I didn't really expect much, they were in an east-facing window and I keep the apartment pretty cool. They did fine, not too big but bushy as hell and they looked like they'd be extremely productive once they were in the sunny garden. 

Unfortunately I got stupid (nothing unusual there) and without thinking set one of those plug-in fragrant oil warmers in the tray as I was walking by, and forgot about it. It tipped over and killed the plants in very short order, no amount of flushing helped.

So.... you might want to give it a try in any old window, just pick the best one you have. Worth a try. Really nothing to lose.

Unrelated> I can't figure out why the text background's white. I can't seem to change it.

Edited by bugs, 10 November 2014 - 12:23 PM.

• TastyBeverage and Juthro like this

#17 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

That is good to know bugs, I will have to save that tid bit for nest year.  We have already had our first snow and all I have are north facing windows,  I can't wait to move to a better growing climate.

#18 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys! With the move i don't think i will be able to save much, but we'll see. I will definitely try smoking the fruit next year, but too much going on right now.

• Juthro likes this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,592 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Last year I overwintered two Giant Thai plants. I didn't really expect much, they were in an east-facing window and I keep the apartment pretty cool. They did fine, not too big but bushy as hell and they looked like they'd be extremely productive once they were in the sunny garden. 

Unfortunately I got stupid (nothing unusual there) and without thinking set one of those plug-in fragrant oil warmers in the tray as I was walking by, and forgot about it. It tipped over and killed the plants in very short order, no amount of flushing helped.

So.... you might want to give it a try in any old window, just pick the best one you have. Worth a try. Really nothing to lose.

Unrelated> I can't figure out why the text background's white. I can't seem to change it.

Have had good luck overwintering here as well. Granted we use a southern facing window, but days are short in the wintertime here. About 5 and a half hour at solstice.

The plants also produce way more peppers their second year IME.

#20 Luckyloser

Luckyloser

fiction poster

• Expired Member
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

My buddy that gifted me those peppers was telling me there is a Fatali cross that is hottter. I guess it's not stable yet though. It's a 4th gen cross from the original it's called "Fatali spv f4" ( fatali× (doughlah×orange naga))

Edited by Luckyloser, 10 November 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!