67 replies to this topic

#21 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

If we are determined, we can take some of them and overwinter them, it will just be a pain in the ass, but most likely way worth the trouble.

I love making hot sauces. A commercial kitchen is possibly in the works for next year, a few of my friends and Bev and I are maybe building one for the group to use. If that happens, I will bottle hot sauces and see if they sell. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Cyclenaut- got any good fermented hot sauce recipes? I have never made a fermented sauce (on purpose at least).

Left to right:
Scotch bonnet
Bhuts
Fatilli
image.jpg
  • kcmoxtractor and Juthro like this

#22 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

As you have mentioned, there are different profiles to hot and it is fun to mix and match, to play around with initial impact and building crescendo's.  Particularly pertinent when making  the Chinese palette cleansing dish known as Sesame Noodles.  You might consider making some different Hot Oil's, since they are a good way to quickly add spice to many dishes, salads and of course stir fry.

• bugs, TastyBeverage, kcmoxtractor and 2 others like this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,428 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

I enjoy the flavor of chili peppers, but I must confess, the hot ones aggravate an old ulcer issue that I have. I must be careful to enjoy them in moderation, but I do love the flavor.

I also love the heat in Chinese food. A little hot oil, and some chili paste can always be found in my version of stir fry (one of my favorite dishes).
  • bugs, TastyBeverage, TurkeyRanch and 1 other like this

#24 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

My buddy that gifted me those peppers was telling me there is a Fatali cross that is hottter. I guess it's not stable yet though. It's a 4th gen cross from the original it's called "Fatali spv f4" ( fatali× (doughlah×orange naga))

The last several record holders for hottest pepper have all been hybrid crosses of the top few naturally occurring ass burners. Hybrid vigor is a force to be reckoned with. :thumbs_up: Current record holder is called the Carolina Reaper and you'd better believe i have seed for that in my hot little hands.

• kcmoxtractor and TurkeyRanch like this

#25 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

As you have mentioned, there are different profiles to hot and it is fun to mix and match, to play around with initial impact and building crescendo's.  Particularly pertinent when making  the Chinese palette cleansing dish known as Sesame Noodles.  You might consider making some different Hot Oil's, since they are a good way to quickly add spice to many dishes, salads and of course stir fry.

I would really like to grow some sichuan flower peppers, as that is the pepper that is traditionally used in sesame noodles. I ate way too much of that when i was in Beijing... considering that i am supposed to be gluten free. Oh well, i was in china, whattayagonnado? I'm having a hard time finding seed for them though, as common names don't match here in the US. Anybody got any leads? It would be much appreciated!

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#26 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

I am interested in smoking some too, and making hot pepper oil sounds fun and slightly hazardous. I bet I could pull it off with equipment I already own.

Lab grade diethyl ether and a vacuum oven should work really well. Bev looked at me funny when I spent way too much money on ether with no apparent goal in mind, so I have to find a good use for it. ;-)

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 10 November 2014 - 02:22 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#27 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

A man walks into a house with lab grade diethyl ether and a vacuum oven and all he gets is a funny look and a 'Put the ether outside before you kill us both"

That woman is a saint.  :meditate:

• kcmoxtractor, TurkeyRanch, Juthro and 1 other like this

#28 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Some stolen info on Sichuan peppers, their plants seem a little pricey but not sure where to get viable seeds.

"The edible portion of the fruit is the pericarp, or the husk surrounding the seed. Contained within its papery segments is hydroxy alpha sanshool, the chemical that delivers the famous tingling/numbing sensation prevalent in so many Szechuan dishes. This component is layered in a lemon base alongside a peppery heat. The two sensations, tingling and heat, are known as ma and la. Ma predominates and this is why Szechuan peppers are frequently used in tandem with hot chili peppers."

http://bayflora.com/szpetr1.html

• TastyBeverage and Juthro like this

#29 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

'Hydroxy alpha sanshool' is going on my research list. I had not considered that there were other compounds besides casaicin working in chilies, although that seems retarded come to think of it, with what i know about the rainbow of different alkaloids in cactus and cannabinoids in weed. Thanks for helping me to flex my common sense muscle. 

#30 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

a single 250 HPS lamp goes a LONG way with peppers. i was doing a fairly good

sized space with just 250w, and was harvesting peppers inside before they went

out for the summer. here are some pics from that project-

jala2.JPG
jala.JPG

i would imagine a t5 bank having the same effect. really thinking about using my
COB to start some veggies inside for some winter fun.

• bugs, TastyBeverage, TurkeyRanch and 2 others like this

#31 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

Another win for the web, seeds.  Horray!

https://sheffields.c...oxylum/simulans

And some stuff I don't understand...

"The scientists say that frequency of the Szechuan’s numbing sensation fell within the range of vibration typically conveyed by a highly-sensitive type of tactile receptor called Meissner receptors, which cover around 10-80 hertz. Previous work has shown that in human nerve cells cultured in petri dishes, the sanshool molecule caused fibers associated with Meissner receptors to fire, passing along a burst of electricity."

http://www.smithsoni...5668606/?no-ist

Edited by Spooner, 10 November 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• TastyBeverage and TurkeyRanch like this

#32 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Damn, i didn't realize it was a full on tree. I'd better buy some property pretty quick so i don't have to move my damn pepper trees...

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#33 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Cyclenaut- got any good fermented hot sauce recipes? I have never made a fermented sauce (on purpose at least).

1 head of garlic pealed and rough chopped

1 red onion rough chopped

3"x1" piece of ginger rough chopped

enough hot peppers sliced in half the long way (leave the seeds in!) to fill the remainder of a half gallon jar

sea salt

water

optional:  wood chips suitable for smoking

-I chopped the peppers and put them in a large bowl and tossed them with sea salt till well coated.

-Then loaded everything into the half gallon jar

-Cover with water all the way to the top shoving the peppers down using the shoulder of the jar to keep them from floating.  Or you could use a narrow mouth half pint or quarter pint to keep them submerged.

-Add the wood chips wrapped in a cheese cloth bag if you want that aged in barrel flavor

-Keep the lid on loose to leave room for biological activity and store in an out of the way place on a plate or in a flat bottomed pot or bowl again for biological activity.

-Let it ferment!  It's up to you how long you want it to ferment.  I've done them 3 days all the way to a month, I tend to like them best around 15 days.  Check on it every few days to ensure all your ingredients are submerged.  sometimes a white scuzz will form on the surface of the brine just try and spoon it off and add back water to fill to the top.  WARNING it may smell of vomit or similar at some point during the fermenting process.  Do not fret this is normal and as the next wave of microbes take over it will start to smell like lovely hot sauce again.

-Once done fermenting strain out all the solids and retain some of the liquid. 

-Toss solids into a food processor (minus the wood chips of course) and blend till smooth adding back liquid if needed.

-Makes a little over a quart

-Smother food

-Burn mouth enjoy

-Burn ass enjoy

I did this a few times this summer with red habeneros, mustard habeneros, and fatlii and I cannot decide which I like better.

Don't be afraid to freeze some if you don't think you can get through it in a timely manner, it comes out of the freezer just as good as it went in.

• TastyBeverage, kcmoxtractor, PsyBearknot and 2 others like this

#34 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,428 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

I am interested in smoking some too, and making hot pepper oil sounds fun and slightly hazardous. I bet I could pull it off with equipment I already own.

If you want a good way to smoke your peppers easily, I would recommend a smoke generator (I use their AMNPS unit) by A-maze-n Products. http://www.amazenpro...com/Default.asp. I think there are even some you tube vids of it if you search for amazen smoker. Also a grill mat (I got 2 on Amazon for $7) makes it easier to handle your peppers so they don’t fall through the grill or rack. A-maze-n sells some, they call theirs Q-Mats.

With this unit you can use an existing BBQ as the smoker frame. Or I have seen where people have converted an old stand up freezer and used the racks inside, a little more work but you can smoke a lot more product. However you set it up, the smoke generator just slowly smolders through either its saw dust or wood pellets depending on which unit you use. You just have to provide a couple of vents, one high and one low to allow natural convection of the smoke, and to supply enough fresh air for combustion. Most BBQ’s already have vents in them as well as a grill rack is why they make an easy choice. You don’t have to modify it at all, and you can still use it as a BBQ when you’re not cold smoking.

They don’t generate a lot of heat so you can apply smoke for a long time to a lot of product without cooking or burning it. For example, I use mine to smoke cheese quite regularly and it never gets hot enough to melt it. (as long as your outside temp is not hot enough to melt cheese)

My experience with peppers is 6 to 8 hours of smoke is plenty, and then I put them on dehydrating racks to finish drying, once there I run them through a coffee grinder. The chili powder retains the smoke flavor quite well.

Peace from the North.
  • bugs, TastyBeverage, kcmoxtractor and 2 others like this

#35 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Awesome info people, thanks! Bev and I will probably experiment with all the above. Fermented foods are a big interest of mine, and I love smoking stuff. Our new house has 400 feet of riverfront on a steelhead and salmon river, so a nice cold smoker setup will be a necessity for fish, peppers and other goodies.
  • Juthro likes this

#36 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

I was processing some fatalii and bhut jolokias yesterday and TR took a tiny sliver of the membrane from a bhut and touched it to the tip of his tongue. Didn't even leave it in his mouth, just *touched* his tongue. He spent the next 5 minutes talking funny and spitting into the trash can.

I laughed forever!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• kcmoxtractor and Juthro like this

#37 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

Ok, what I did was pick up a tiny sliver of pepper, and immediately put it back on the table. I then rubbed the tip of my tongue with the tips of the fingers I had used to pick up the pepper sliver.

The tip of my tongue went numb, and a very sharp burn was felt, but only locally where I touched the tip of the tongue. It was super intense. The burn lasted for about 5 min, then quickly ramped down to normal heat levels, and within 10 min I was normal baseline. I have a heat tolerance like you wouldn't believe, and that knocked my socks off, I can't imagine actually putting some of the pepper flesh in your mouth!
  • kcmoxtractor, Juthro and niemandgeist like this

#38 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Ok, what I did was pick up a tiny sliver of pepper, and immediately put it back on the table. I then rubbed the tip of my tongue with the tips of the fingers I had used to pick up the pepper sliver.

The tip of my tongue went numb, and a very sharp burn was felt, but only locally where I touched the tip of the tongue. It was super intense. The burn lasted for about 5 min, then quickly ramped down to normal heat levels, and within 10 min I was normal baseline. I have a heat tolerance like you wouldn't believe, and that knocked my socks off, I can't imagine actually putting some of the pepper flesh in your mouth!

If only I could be there. We would have two giant jugs of springwater and two big old jugs of milk. Then we would bravely eat a whole pepper each, of equal weight, and then just... See what happens?

I'm down for it! Too bad it may never happen. Honestly, the bravest I get is shoveling a bunch of jalepeno slices into my mouth to see what happens, now and again. If I were in good company with a potential place to vomit and lots of bread and water and milk I think I could risk something stronger, though!

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#39 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I don't know man. . . Lol. I don't think any amount of water, milk, or bread would touch that fire. You can eat one if you let me watch what happens and laugh a bit.

I eat raw peppers, and this is a whole new thing. When I am in Belize, a common breakfast or lunch for me is 2-3 raw red habaneros, an avocado or two, and some tortilla with ceviche. I am in awe of how potent these bhuts are!

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 12 November 2014 - 02:04 PM.

• niemandgeist likes this

#40 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

In the words of every other woman on earth-- "I told you not to put that in your mouth."

You're a junky, man. You need a 12 step.

• TurkeyRanch, Juthro and niemandgeist like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!