• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

I am ready to do my first bulk grow. But, I need to figure out what spawn to use and where to get it. Where can I get the right kind of grain or popcorn and which is preferred? Trying to buy and soak tomorrow so please let me know!

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,688 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

It more about preference, you will most likely get mixed opinions. But my opinion is I prefer to use wheat,rye or oat berries. I like them because I don't have to soak or prep them and I have very consistent results. 2/3 cup h20 - 1 1/2 cups grain in a quart jar and pc at 15psi for 90 mins. Shake em once cool enough to open the pc. I have been using this for years though, maybe I like just because it's hard for me to screw up and it works everytime. I also add a pinch of antibiotics before I pc but that is not necessary.
  • Dr.Psilo. likes this

#3 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,842 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

I prefer a grain, some grain, this grain, that grain.  Any grain actually.

It really  does not matter which grain you use they all work quite well.

They all differ slightly in their prep, but in my opinion none is so hard that it is not worth it.

I do try and find cheap grain, so that eliminates popcorn.  You might think you are doing better by our fungal friends by spending more money but you are not.  They are decomposers/recyclers so they don't care how much money you spent on them.

• TurkeyRanch, Microbe, Heirloom and 3 others like this

#4 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

Ok so any cheap berry eh. I found a local farm selling rye for $1.50/lb. Is that decent? How many jars per pound roughly?

#5 Viridis420

Viridis420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:59 PM

I've used many grains,grass and bird seed and am currently using a mixture of oat and wheat bran. It's found in large bins and costs here 29 cents per pound. Works great and is extremely inexpensive. Quart jar- 1 cup verm-1/2 cup oat/wheat bran-1/3 cup water..Mix in bowl dump in jar to PC.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#6 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

hmmm idk where to find that around here. My seller adjusted the rye to $1.20/pound so thats not too bad i think...

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

how about wild bird seed? It comes in 40lb bags for a lot less..

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

Wbs is the cheapest, I suggest finding it without cracked corn, and you will need to strain the sunflower seeds, which is easy they float
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#9 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,842 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

I suggest finding it without cracked corn, and you will need to strain the sunflower seeds, which is easy they float

Cracked corn is a great additive to WBS it has a lot of nutrients and causes no problems if you either rinse it good, or if you prefer no prep WBS you find a WBS mix that does not have a ton of it in there. 

I usually try to find WBS without sunflower seeds but, I have also never had problems when I left them in, as long as there is not a ton of them.

#10 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Some ones have a ton of cracked corn that's gets gooey from my experience, the only reason I try and avoid it

#11 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

Just got done simmering, PCing, and jarring my WBS. But, it looks too wet and mooshy. Not too stoked on how it turned out… I added a spoon of verm before the PC because i thought there was too much moisture then too. Should I innoc them or try again tomorrow without wasting spores/time… Heres a sample jar just out of the PC

#12 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:31 AM

Just got done simmering, PCing, and jarring my WBS. But, it looks too wet and mooshy. Not too stoked on how it turned out… I added a spoon of verm before the PC because i thought there was too much moisture then too. Should I innoc them or try again tomorrow without wasting spores/time… Heres a sample jar just out of the PC

Attached Thumbnails

• image copy 2.jpeg
  • image copy.jpeg

• TRVPSHYT likes this

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

Which wbs tek did you use? I personally never simmer wbs, just soak 12+ hours and drain well then PC. There is a quick soak method that uses freshly boiled water poured over wbs which is then "steeped" (sits in a pot , no heat , lid on) ...but that's not simmering, which is usually for other grains like popcorn , rye etc getting a light boil going and then heating it on low to keep tiny bubbles going and being just shy of a boil. It's easy to over-cook wbs grains.

Which kind of simmer were you referring to?

Edited by hyphaenation, 20 November 2014 - 12:43 AM.

• Vikings333 likes this

#14 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

I brought to a boil with seed in pot and then turned to low and "simmered" for 20min. Kind of combined what i had read...

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

How long did you soak for ?

With wbs I always do the 12 soak , skim off the floaters (bunk seeds , sticks sunflower seeds) and rinse in a colander and drain well , then load the jars , shake the grain , PC and shake again as i take them from the PC (they can turn to cement if you don't shake after PC'ing).

Maybe next time give it a try as above with no simmer. What you did may be fine. Simmering does bust up a lot of grain kernels though. 

#16 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

Ya not sure since this is my first time using WBS. I found this on EatyuAlives reference guide…the simmer tek for WBS. But i think I cooked a bit too long.

#17 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

Also whats the problem with busted grain kernels?

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

Over-hydrated grains swell with excess water, kernels bust open. Busted kernels that are to wet can lead to contams molds and bacteria and the extra water doesn't help. If it was an Eats tek then you should be good. If you deviated then we'll have to see.

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

Everything hyph said is golden but I have had success with busted up seed/corn/grain. IMO you should try again though. Spores are expensive.

On a side note, every time I get a new spore syringe, I use some to make a LC so that I have myc ready to go at all times.

• -=Zeus=- and TRVPSHYT like this

#20 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

Everything hyph said is golden but I have had success with busted up seed/corn/grain. IMO you should try again though. Spores are expensive.

On a side note, every time I get a new spore syringe, I use some to make a LC so that I have myc ready to go at all times.

Ya good advice on both accounts… seed is cheap enough to make sure  have it right before investing more in this round. 

Also where can I find a tek for LC..this will be my first time trying as well. Any advice?

• TRVPSHYT likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!