• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#101 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Good to know. Ok heres the jars now. I NEED to start planning for the spawn.. I have 2 quarts of B+ and 4 ecuador, so I think I will do a small tub, 7.5qt or something. Whats the difference between dub/mono? Also I am way overwhelmed with the different teks. I was thinking something simple with worm casings, verm, and coir? Maybe straw net too? Please give me suggestions as I have been reading too many teks all with different ratios…I want to be prepared when these jars finish

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Heirloom likes this

#102 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

IME rez effect (reservoir) is the easiest to remember ratio wise (it's 1:1 equal parts, grain spawn : field capacity vermiculite) I use it because once I mix my spawn with pasteurized verm, I put a lid on it (tupperware or to go containers), let it colonize, consolidate and I remove the lid and throw into my fruiting chamber. 

I use it because there are little nutrients in the verm, low chance of contamination, and a wide range of colonization temps in my small space.

Dub (double) tubs are typically 2 shoebox size tubs attached to one another which serve as it's own micro-environment/fruiting chamber (they could in theory be any size, I think eatyu's tek is larger):

https://mycotopia.ne...ovice-hobbyist/

https://mycotopia.ne...nd-single-tubs/

I saw your question regarding fruiting chambers on another thread and here's my newest one that works gangbusters for me and my situation. You should definitely wait for other more experienced members to chime in but I thought I'd at least start to answer your questions as I have little to no life.   :tinfoil:

https://mycotopia.ne...e-a-love-story/

Edited by catattack, 05 December 2014 - 05:32 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#103 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Ha no worries. So here's where I'm at…like a said most of the jars look good, thy have a lot of growth on top although that might not be a problem. Maybe because the syringe didn't reach into the grains.. The other jar is what I'm worried about. It doesn't smell but doesn't look right. Should I toss it. And the last picture is of some LC. Looks good to me, thick despots on the bottom. Hasn't grown much in the past few day, so is it finished?

The last jar is toast IMO. The first has some nice growth at the bottom. When you say are they done because they are not growing, are you asking if ready to spawn or done as in trashed, toast, time to toss them?

As much as i dislike sugar lC's, yours is looking good from what i can tell. You probably already know that the only way to tell if its clean is to test it on some grain or agar. What really helps me when inoculating with liquid inoculate is to put a 1/4 cup of verm in the bottom of my jar.

#104 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Good to know. Ok heres the jars now. I NEED to start planning for the spawn.. I have 2 quarts of B+ and 4 ecuador, so I think I will do a small tub, 7.5qt or something. Whats the difference between dub/mono? Also I am way overwhelmed with the different teks. I was thinking something simple with worm casings, verm, and coir? Maybe straw net too? Please give me suggestions as I have been reading too many teks all with different ratios…I want to be prepared when these jars finish

I would shake the living hell out of this jar right now. And i speculate that in 3 -4 days its complelty colonized.

#105 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

1st pic is the dub and the second is a mono. Diffrence other then design? Im not sure im not a tub grower. I would recommend a simple straw coir substrate of equal parts your first time. You could try the rezeffect also which seems to be contamination resistant if you foresee that being an issue.

Not my pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1417822469374.jpeg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417822516909.jpg

Edited by Microbe77, 05 December 2014 - 06:38 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#106 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Wow. Lots of info thanks guys. Just shook the jars :) by finished I meant done growing. Maybe the mycilium in the lc ate all the sugars?

The Rez tek looks nice n easy but I would rather not have a fruiting chamber.. I did t like using perlite and fanning with my cakes.. Maybe I was doing it wrong and not using salt water.

Is just a coir/straw mix enough nutrients? No need for poo? What about casing? If your saying 4 days I need to hurry as I have no materials

#107 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

Wow. Lots of info thanks guys. Just shook the jars :) by finished I meant done growing. Maybe the mycilium in the lc ate all the sugars?

The Rez tek looks nice n easy but I would rather not have a fruiting chamber.. I did t like using perlite and fanning with my cakes.. Maybe I was doing it wrong and not using salt water.

Is just a coir/straw mix enough nutrients? No need for poo? What about casing? If your saying 4 days I need to hurry as I have no materials

#108 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

cubes do not need casing and do not need poo (I've grown many times without either but there may be/are benefits to both)

once your jars are fully colonized (as mic suggested in 3-4 days) you still have a week IME and could slow them down further with lower temps.. no need to be too hasty, you have time. 

Edited by catattack, 05 December 2014 - 07:44 PM.

• Cue and Vikings333 like this

#109 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

OK, thanks Cat. So.. I've looked through the links and I could set up a similar FC. I just don't know if thats efficient use of materials as well as time and space..Im open to other ideas too I just need to get a plan together. Thanks for da help  :hug:

• CatsAndBats likes this

#110 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

you know about the site specific google search for topia right? 

Attached Thumbnails

• fc.JPG

• TRVPSHYT likes this

#111 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

WOW. no I didn't.. I just use to search the forums and nothing would come up. MIND=BLOWN :ohmy:

• CatsAndBats likes this

#112 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, TR and hyphae taught me that.. Props to them.

#113 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

Is straw and coir enough nutrients? You tell me....

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1417829913549.jpeg

• Vikings333, Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#114 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

You know sorry for that post ^ that seems a little arrogant and it was not my intent. You can use straw by itself and get 3-4 and even more flushes from it. Straw and coir is just to dang easy IMO. I have added manure and didnt see any noticeable diffrence in yields or flushes, honestly i think they did underperformed my coir/straw tubs now that i think about it. My point is you will be impressed with what straw by itself can do even. Its cheap and easy to prep.
  • Heirloom likes this

#115 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

So for your FC Cat I need a 64qt tub with perlite coated in salt water and some 1'' holes covered with perlite and a drying rack? Then just fan and mist walls 3xday and I'm set?

#116 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

I just showed you what I do, your environment is different than mine. 

I live in Pennsylvania, we have mold problems here but I only fruit 100% colonized sub in my FC (I elevate my FC's and leave the holes open, which is not recommended). I have tons of extra myc around though, so as soon as something goes to shit I can toss it. I have equal amounts of LC jars as I have colonized grain. I can replace ANY strain that I am working on with brand new LC myc... Does this make sense? 

#117 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

makes sense, you've got a mycelium bank!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#118 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

If your using bulk sub then the perlite is not necessary. A properly hydrated sub will maintain its own RH in i fruiting chamber that is proportional to the the volume of the sub. No rack or perlite needed. If you want to manually fan then just drop a few shoebox containers into your larger tub.

Edited by Microbe77, 05 December 2014 - 09:56 PM.

• Vikings333 likes this

#119 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

OK. Im thinking 50/50 coir and worm castings..Whats a good ratio of that sub to the spawn?

#120 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

awesome 77, got a bale of staw.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!