#141 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:38 PM

So Pasta what do you recommend then? I don't have many other materials besides coir, ewe, and verm..Also how many qts will a small brick of coir hydrate to?

EWC isn't fluffy like animal dung.

But its so rich in nutrients that it doesn't take much anyway.

The first time I tried EWC I used 50% and when I got it over hydrated it turned into soup.

• roscoe likes this

#142 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

So Pasta what do you recommend then? I don't have many other materials besides coir, ewe, and verm..Also how many qts will a small brick of coir hydrate to?

a brick of coir will yield 7-8 quarts of sub, you will want 4 quarts of spawn is optimum, you can go less but i would not use any less then 3. I don't use worm castings, i use coir coffee and a lil verm. for 1 brick of coir you will want 1 cup of used coffee grounds, and approximately 1 pint of vermiculite, course or med.. sterilized, don't pasteurize. pickling lime is a good help also, helps reduce the acidity, but with the used grounds it shouldn't be much of an issue. 

Edited by wharfrat, 10 December 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#143 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

ok, so I am basically doing a 2:1 sub to spawn ratio. If the coir plus a cup of coffee and 2 cups of verm is 8 qts and then I use 4 of spawn..

a brick of coir will yield 7-8 quarts of sub, you will want 4 quarts of spawn is optimum, you can go less but i would not use any less then 3. I don't use worm castings, i use coir coffee and a lil verm. for 1 brick of coir you will want 1 cup of used coffee grounds, and approximately 1 pint of vermiculite, course or med.. sterilized, don't pasteurize. pickling lime is a good help also, helps reduce the acidity, but with the used grounds it shouldn't be much of an issue. 

• wharfrat likes this

#144 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

What do you mean don't pasteurize? Is that just for the verm???

#145 zakna

zakna

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

I used Verm out of the bag, boom moldy jar. From now on I will be pasturizing or sterilizing my verm.

#146 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

I've done all three, but IME pasteurization would be optimal..

• zakna likes this

#147 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

OK, so i am mixing and PASTEURIZING my sub tonight and spawning tomorrow. how much water is needed to hydrate a small brick of coir? planning to add 2 cups of spent coffee and 2 cups of ewc as well. let me know now or forever hold your truth

#148 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

oh and how much verm?!?

#149 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

OK, so i am mixing and PASTEURIZING my sub tonight and spawning tomorrow. how much water is needed to hydrate a small brick of coir? planning to add 2 cups of spent coffee and 2 cups of ewc as well. let me know now or forever hold your truth

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Vikings333, on 10 Dec 2014 - 4:27 PM, said:snapback.png

"a brick of coir will yield 7-8 quarts of sub, you will want 4 quarts of spawn is optimum, you can go less but i would not use any less then 3. I don't use worm castings, i use coir coffee and a lil verm. for 1 brick of coir you will want 1 cup of used coffee grounds, and approximately 1 pint of vermiculite, course or med.. sterilized, don't pasteurize. pickling lime is a good help also, helps reduce the acidity, but with the used grounds it shouldn't be much of an issue. "

if you wanna deviate from that, then you are on your own.. you are listening to too many people... this is a tried and true TEK, not just my opinion

• CatsAndBats likes this

#150 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

Wharf & Viking, I meant pasteurization would be optimal compared with out of the bag verm. Wharf, how is sterilising the bulk better than pasteurization? Wouldn't killing all of the microbes make the sub more vulnerable to myc competitors?

I didn't intend to contradict you wharfrat.. 

Edited by catattack, 11 December 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#151 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

Wharf & Viking, I meant pasteurization would be optimal compared with out of the bag verm. Wharf, how is sterilising the bulk better than pasteurization? Wouldn't killing all of the microbes make the sub more vulnerable to myc competitors?

I didn't intend to contradict you wharfrat.. 

for one thing, coir comes compressed and sterile (for the most part) verm has no nutrients or bacteria. the only thing you are leaving behind if you pasteurize it is any crap that didn't get killed off.. the only thing nutritious is the coffee and coffee can harbor all kinds of nasties, that's why sterilizing is best. If your using hpoo or cmc, it would be beneficial to pasteurize because it contains both good and bad.

Edit: sorry i don't mean to sound like an ass.. just been a bad day :dry:

Edited by wharfrat, 11 December 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#152 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

understood.

#153 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

I'm still a bit confused.. Should I PC the coffee and bake the ewc?

#154 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'm still a bit confused.. Should I PC the coffee and bake the ewc?

https://mycotopia.ne...-4-part-series/

#155 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

Pasteurization IMO provides a little more time before a bacteria contamination can develop and if using a low spawn ratio pasteurization is the best option IMO but steralization works very well it just requires more flawless execution. Mold will thrive in either substrate rather in be pasteurized or steralized.

#156 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

the only thing nutritious is the coffee and coffee can harbor all kinds of nasties, that's why sterilizing is best. If your using hpoo or cmc, it would be beneficial to pasteurize because it contains both good and bad.

Why can't the coffee have both good and bad micro-organisms?

• Cue likes this

#157 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

the only thing nutritious is the coffee and coffee can harbor all kinds of nasties, that's why sterilizing is best. If your using hpoo or cmc, it would be beneficial to pasteurize because it contains both good and bad.

Why can't the coffee have both good and bad micro-organisms?

it probably does, but leave your used wet grounds out for a couple days and tell me how quick that stuff contaminates.. besides it being roasted, processed then run through the coffee maker, i don't see how many good microbes are left.. either way i was trying to make a point..

#158 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info, sub is in the over. So 2 of my jars have been %100 for a day or two now and the third is still not finished should I be worried about contams? I was just gonna spawn it at whatever stage it is in 24 hrs..

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#159 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info, sub is in the over. So 2 of my jars have been %100 for a day or two now and the third is still not finished should I be worried about contams? I was just gonna spawn it at whatever stage it is in 24 hrs..

i wouldn't worry, probably no tams, it's just not 100%.. you can still spawn it, you shouldn't have an issue, it looks very healthy.

• Vikings333 likes this

#160 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

Good to know. What's the trash bag liner do and how min extra do I leave? Do I fold it over the sub when I incubate?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!