Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Vote - Wild Bird Seed (WBS) - Sunflower Seeds, Keep 'Em Or Leave 'Em?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Wild Bird Seed (WBS) - Sunflower Seeds, Keep 'Em Or Leave 'Em?

When preparing WBS, should/do you:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Just put it in the jar with water in it and pc it for 2 hours, easy peasy

#22 417outsiders

417outsiders

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:17 AM

I ground up the WBS into flour, straight out of the bag

#23 Grizz420

Grizz420

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

I didn't vote, because my option isn't up there. I say leave them in if your lazy, or take them out if you feel like it, both work.

The seeds can hold water inside them, which can ( but not always) throw off the water content in the jars. This is why some people say to remove them. I have done all the above, removed them all, removed most of them, and not bothered to remove any at all. It all worked for me.

If you leave them in, drain it really well, and maybe toss a tablespoon or two of dry vermiculite in the bottom of each jar before you load the jars to soak up any xtra water and it should be good to go!

The verm in the bottom is fuckn genius,,,why didn't I think of this back in 2003?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#24 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

Years ago, I took the time to remove them... Some years ago, I forgot to take them out and had no issues... Since that point, I have never had an issue with leaving them in...

I thought the reason to take them out was due to their not fully colonizing and increased contamination risks but I guess the water retention angle makes as much, if not mores sense...

Edited by PJammer24, 31 January 2020 - 12:51 PM.

#25 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,730 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

I'm not going to vote because I have never used WBS. Although I will say, I use wheat and rye grain and sometimes I can only get the lower grade which has other grains or seeds in it. The stuff I am using right now has some corn, black eyed peas lol (no shit), and a few sunflower seeds. Not sure whats up with that. As I boil the grain I will scoop off small debris but I leave the corn, peas, and sunflower seeds. Has not been an issue so far.  

#26 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

this belongs in polls, moved it to the appropriate forum.

i use a brand of WBS that doesn't have sunflower seeds.

What brand?

I skim off anything that floats and avoid cracked corn mixes. Pennington works well

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!