• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 XXLI

XXLI

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

They was both verm/brf. I didn't check the RH. But I did make sure I had plenty of water in there. I just put this togather because I always have extra stuff laying around. It was PES Hawaiian.

#82 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,641 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Nice thread cat! I hope transferred some of that roping myc to so agar.

Edited by Microbe77, 12 March 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#83 jasonstem

jasonstem

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

You can save paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls- put together- soak- squeeze- ready to go...into pc for 70 min.
Then spawn.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#84 blackdustt

blackdustt

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

I have a few cardboard projects going. I really do not like how I inoculated mine because of how slow colonization is. I'm thinking liquid inoculates will work better. Liquids always seem to do the trick. 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#85 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

My last paper grow contamed the FUCK out. I've had inconsistent results on all of my paper grows, some colonize at the speed of light, some don't. Some are contam resistant, some not. Some fruited... you get the idea.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#86 blackdustt

blackdustt

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Did any of them contaminate to bacteria? 

I was also thinking that if I shred the cardboard or newspaper then maybe the mycelium will have an easier time taking over the medium. Also, giving the cardboard a heat treatment may help to in the same way the heat treatments help coir subs. 

• CatsAndBats and happy4nic8r like this

#87 Gloid

Gloid

glows in the dark

• Expired Member
  • 110 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Any final words of wisdom from this very interesting grow attempt?   Lessons learned?  Plans for next attempt? 

#88 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

I personally had bad luck with shredded paper, but it might have been the difference in the paper material, linen, ink, bonding agents, etc.  that came out of the shredder. I would have thought the myc would prefer the extra surface and air, but it just contaminated right away.

Now shredding cardboard was another story.

Edited by happy4nic8r, 17 April 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#89 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

I have used shredded paper with great results for oysters. It works fine, and is a commonly accepted method.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#90 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

Agreed TR, however with cubes I suggest isolates (isolated for speed and/or a fast colonizing strain). I double the bleach in Lazlo's tek. IMO DON'T use an old paperback from a basement (I lost shirley mCclaine to mold).

If I were to start a paper grow tomorrow, I would use the free newspaper flyers/info books found at hotels for tourist stuff or newspapers.

Also, keep in mind I always created extra cultures whenever I got a new strain and these paper grows were separate from my real grows. My real grows were popcorn jars spawned to supplemented coir "zombie" tubs (shoebox sized dub tubs) borrowing from @wharfrat @eats and under the tutelage of hyph, TR, psyclnaut, and mikey and  4nic8er, microbe etc...

or spawned to straw..

Edited by catattack, 17 April 2015 - 01:10 PM.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#91 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,052 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

I have used shredded paper with great results for oysters. It works fine, and is a commonly accepted method.

Yep yep yep. Oysters loooove the paper.

Check it: https://mycotopia.ne...-textbook-grow/

The oysters above are brought to you by TB. Thanks for the culture, you made Thanksgiving that year something special. There's nothing like risotto with homegrown mushies!

Check it again: https://mycotopia.ne...s-on-newspaper/

Oysters love the paper.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#92 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

Well here we groooooooooooooow!

here is the hydrated book, the "Large Fruit" popcorn spawn, rubberbands, and a grocery bag. I stepped on the wet book to squeeze out extra moisture, I opened book and put about 1/3 of my jar in multiple places in the book. Tied it up and put in loosely tied bag ON TOP of incubation chamber.
:weedpoke:
Stay tuned kids.

I just had a conversation last night with my good friend about taking a grow break. I’ve been goin strong for a while, and a break sounds nice, until I found this thread. I’m absolutely taken by this and I’m going to find the right book to try this tek on. Badass thread , I’m in. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#93 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

Well here we groooooooooooooow!

here is the hydrated book, the "Large Fruit" popcorn spawn, rubberbands, and a grocery bag. I stepped on the wet book to squeeze out extra moisture, I opened book and put about 1/3 of my jar in multiple places in the book. Tied it up and put in loosely tied bag ON TOP of incubation chamber.
:weedpoke:
Stay tuned kids.

I just had a conversation last night with my good friend about taking a grow break. I’ve been goin strong for a while, and a break sounds nice, until I found this thread. I’m absolutely taken by this and I’m going to find the right book to try this tek on. Badass thread , I’m in. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAAHAHAHHAHAAH! I'm sure that I can give you some better tips now, that was the year that I became a member.

If I were to do this again, I would pick a book that wasn't older than I am that wasn't stored in a dirty basement. I'm not sure that the 10% bleach tek (lazlo's newspaper) works on books, as I believe this one molded out eventually.

Honestly, I strongly suggest that you get your feet wet and try doing lazlo's newspaper tek (LNT), as written. I have fruited oysters and cubes off of a LNT.

https://mycotopia.ne...s-on-newspaper/

https://mycotopia.ne...e/#entry1199551

Then try a book. :biggrin: Make sure to start a thread, it should be fun!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 04 July 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#94 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

I remember this one, back in the days. For old times sake I reread the original version that was found by clicking, "full version". Who'd've thunk. I was just going through old photos and still had a bunch of this particular project that have brought me back around to doing some more experiments now that the weather permits. Thanks Cats, for the link, the wake up, and the memories. Im going to hunt down the laminated spores and see if 5 years is too long to store in plastic. Film at 11!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!