#1 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Maitake Grow Log

It's on now.............the retirement plan is to NOT RETIRE!

BUT TO GROW

Slowly but surely I'm getting quite a few people hooked on the Maitake mushroom. Wonder if I can go pro? Only one way to find out..........

hwbrf_agar_001.JPG    hwbrf_agar_002.JPG   hwbrf_agar_003.JPG

Pulling the tea     Using a filter flask    Hardwood sawdust

500ml of hardwood tea made from 750ml of distilled water and hardwood sawdust boiled until 500ml

I've gotten into the habit of germinating spores on a BRF agar made with a tea of the targeted fruiting substrate. In this case it is hardwood mostly oak. The stuff used for making the tea will be saved and sterilized for a little later down the road.  

hwbrf_agar_004.JPG   hwbrf_agar_006.JPG

Melting the agar powder, 9.5 grams, in the HW tea at about 50C

hwbrf_agar_005.JPG   hwbrf_agar_007.JPG

Stirring in powdered BRF, 40 grams, and then bringing to a quick boil, shut off and allow to cool back to about 55C

Then pouring into flat culture jars (I love these ball flat decorative jelly jars for agar)

hwbrf_agar_008.JPG

These have been inoculated with spores and soon the search for a fruiting strain will be on.

So this is the first goal of this exercise. To isolate an aggressive growing and also good fruiting 

Hen-of-the-Woods

This is how I do it...............

Very simple BRFA (brown rice flower agar) I use it for everything actually

500 ml distilled water (usually a tea of some sort)

9.5 grams powdered agar

40 grams powdered brown rice flower

Make tea, reduce to 500 ml and then strain, heat to about 50c to 60c and then melt agar slowly in steps while stirring, turn heat up and add brown rice flour incrementally stirring, like making gravy, as soon as it boils turn off heat and let cool to about the 50c to 60c range and then pour into jars and loosely cover with filter lids, foil, and ring. Let cool and then load into PC with RINGS LOOSE, PC for 15 minutes at 15psi and then turn off and allow PC to return to atmospheric pressure. I take the jars out of the PC and tighten rings then allow to cool/store flat in the old fridge until used. 

So now we wait and see what happens........................woodlovers teach the next level in patience. 

• kcmoxtractor, riseabovethought, TurkeyRanch and 6 others like this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Got what looks like mycelium on the agar already................perhaps???............we shall certainly see............ :biggrin: Fresh clean Maitake is almost sexual......................... :excl:  Will get some pic's asap..............

Edited by Arathu, 24 December 2014 - 02:17 PM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#3 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

keep at it man! I can't wait to see some maitake photos and

see a good method.

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 24 December 2014 - 03:17 PM.

• Arathu and TurkeyRanch like this

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,196 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

brought here my a force I cannot define a spirit of the fungi?

I am here to learn to grow Maitake.

I plan on going from beginning student to grower.

thank you Arathu for sharing your knowledge with us.

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

I might have to wake this thread up.....................as crazy as that sounds.............. :biggrin:

#6 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

I'll be interested to see what's up next.
  • Arathu likes this

#7 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

I have ONE plate...actually it's a jelly jar with agar and a mycelium from wild spores......and it has an interesting growth in it.......we'll see what comes of it........... :meditate: 

• Needles likes this

#8 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Last year I knock some plugs to oak logs so hopefully this fall it will be on. Just put some G. frondosa on some agar too so we shall see.

Wild spores, that's awesome that you found a hen to start with... Watching your next move......
  • Arathu likes this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Did you see my hen thread Needles.......... :cool:  I definitely want to have this in logs before I can't go get them.............

Edited by Arathu, 03 February 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#10 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Did you see my hen thread Needles.......... :cool:

Not yet, you have mor information posted somewhere?
  • Arathu likes this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...e-harvest-2016/

• Needles likes this

#12 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

That's a awesome hen you found....... Studies and reports have concluded that G. frondosa is one of the healthiest mushrooms to consume for anti tumor and immunity building properties. Plus tasty too.
I know one thing, I made a double extraction tincture and it was hard to take. I will stick to cooking them from now on......
  • riseabovethought likes this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I love maitake.................... 

#14 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

i had some success cultivating maitake indoors and outside in a greenhouse.

hwfp/bran bags, cased with pasteurized peat, hydrated lime, and oyster shell. 

like an idiot, i didn't get any shots of the cultivated fruits, but here's a really nice

brain and what i harvested from a few bags. 

20161104_123516.jpg

2016-11-20 09.51.00.jpg

2016-11-20 09.52.03.jpg

outdoor mound, we placed a dozen or so bags on top of the roots of a dead oak

tree, and used spent potting soil as the casing layer. we recently planted some

lettuce in the mound, it's doing pretty well even in the winter. i think the greenhouse

plus warmth from the mushroom metabolism is going a long way towards helping

out the roots. it will probably fruit like mad next fall, bummer i'm not going to be living

here.

image5.JPG

image1.JPG

image8.JPG

• Arathu, riseabovethought, GLP and 1 other like this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

That's freaking beautiful! Pristine hens..........my mouth is watering......and you have to leave them?

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

These are large file size macro shots of one surviving jar of grifola frondosa from the mycelium started at the beginning of this thread.

The culture is just over two years old and is the "one" (I'm going on intuition here because I've never had a successful maitake grow to date)

Regardless as I watched this culture grow in the jar on (oak) HWBRFA I took the clumping as good sign.....for better or worse this is what I have right now from wild spores.

GEDC0032.JPG  

Two year old g. frondosa on HWBRFA running from a dormant state now to oak plugs

GEDC0035.JPG

The intention is to go from agar, to plugs, to a lot of plugs, to logs and enriched sawdust blocks

(Not to mention whatever else I can find that it will grow on and fruit from)

By far this is my absolute favorite fungi of all time, yes that includes the actives. Of all the species this one holds my heart and stomach...

I will have them growing from various subs in and around my yard before I die...........

Note I now have several other cultures that were very generously gifted to me that will be showing up in this thread too......

Hahahaha...you guys/gals are going to have to put up with me in the edibles/medicinal block of Mycotopia now........ :tongue:

A

• kcmoxtractor and Needles like this

#17 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

At first cube grows got me fired up, this here is what its all about imo. Chicken of the woods is on my list, i look forward to viewing your updates.
  • kcmoxtractor and Arathu like this

#18 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

@Further, just to be clear chicken of the woods, laetiporus sulphureus is a different species from Hen of the Woods, grifola frondosa......

I will be growing out the grifola frondosa and several others edibles and medicinal as well................glad to see you interested too.............. :biggrin:  

This is my nagging passion now............... The incredible edible SHROOM...............this thread in particular is for the Sheephead, aka Hen of the Woods, aka Maitake, aka grifola frondosa. 

I've been hunting, picking, and eating this particular mushroom for well over forty years now..............it's safe to say :wub:

The growth in the jar shown above is starting to accelerate, grabbing up the oak plugs.............yummy!

A

Edited by Arathu, 20 March 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#19 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

That's freaking beautiful! Pristine hens..........my mouth is watering......and you have to leave them?

yeah, but leaving them for a place that the farm has a much higher demand.

it's depressingly low around here, struggle to sell even 100 lbs a week. honestly, 

they're not difficult to grow indoors, just a bit more picky about substrate specifics,

and they don't like temperature fluctuation until just before fruiting. if you get the

AZ strain that aloha sells, they will automatically start to brain at ~4 months after 

inoculation. 

• Arathu likes this

#20 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

small_GEDC0326.jpg

As is usual for me this will get out of control pretty quick......

The area in behind my temporary work station will be framed in and turned into lab space......

And I'm sure various fruiting buildings and greenhouses are going to start popping up outside....

Zoning is pretty cool here and if my buildings aren't for occupation/living in then inspections of my pole barns aren't required...

Like I said in my organic gardening thread I will reduce the mowing area of my ground to a small front yard....with plenty of flower beds out there too...... :biggrin:

Maitake (and others) agar work coming up........

A

• Needles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!