Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Reishi Ganoderma for the health of it...

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:21 AM

Found you!! Interesting stuff. I look forward to seeing your process.  Agar looks like fun, I ordered some tonight from Amazon, and saw that rye that was mentioned. You got a smoking deal.

• Needles likes this

#22 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

Found you!! Interesting stuff. I look forward to seeing your process.  Agar looks like fun, I ordered some tonight from Amazon, and saw that rye that was mentioned. You got a smoking deal.

Agar is my favorite part of this hobby. There is so much you can do to control your mushroom mycelium with it. You will have fun experimenting with your plates making your own isolates.

#23 LoveOverWar

LoveOverWar

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

Just wanted to share some pictures of the wild reishi i found a few years back.

Its pretty dry and fragile, I keep it for decoration. It seemed maybe like something was living inside during the time it was drying, i shook it out a few times before cause there were holes appearing on the pore surface, never seen any bugs tho, could of happened naturally.

I had some younger specimens also i ended up powdering, I used it a few times, The powder i bought tho tasted better.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1.JPG
  • photo 2.JPG

• Needles and Microbe like this

#24 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Roomis: Are these the mushrooms they have special jars for and keep alive in water and continue the growing while extracting? It's almost a daily routine, changing the water, adding nutrients etc. Or am I thinking about something else.

Either way, I will contact this old friend who used to have these and see what his deal was. I have looked up the Reishi and found only the tea or powder, not the long term growing and storage. It seems to be a real powerful medicine, almost too many good aspects to be true!! 

Like psilocybe it is a basidiospore, which means the cultivation would follow similar stages. I look forward to your post on this, and may have to try this one myself.

Edited by happy4nic8r, 04 January 2015 - 12:54 PM.

• Needles likes this

#25 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

Just wanted to share some pictures of the wild reishi i found a few years back.
Its pretty dry and fragile, I keep it for decoration. It seemed maybe like something was living inside during the time it was drying, i shook it out a few times before cause there were holes appearing on the pore surface, never seen any bugs tho, could of happened naturally.
I had some younger specimens also i ended up powdering, I used it a few times, The powder i bought tho tasted better.

That is a giant wild Reishi, do they grow wild where you live? That mushroom would've lasted me for two months in a tincture lol. I have never seen a wild Reishi so I can't say anything about the pores having those holes like they do. I can't imagine any Reishimushroom tasting good. They are so bitter, yep I chewed on one ONCE lol. although I do find a tincture quite pleasing mixed in with tea and juice. I will try to drink it a few times a day.

#26 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Roomis: Are these the mushrooms they have special jars for and keep alive in water and continue the growing while extracting? It's almost a daily routine, changing the water, adding nutrients etc. Or am I thinking about something else.
Either way, I will contact this old friend who used to have these and see what his deal was. I have looked up the Reishi and found only the tea or powder, not the long term growing and storage. It seems to be a real powerful medicine, almost too many good aspects to be true!! 

Like psilocybe it is a basidiospore, which means the cultivation would follow similar stages. I look forward to your post on this, and may have to try this one myself.

I tried growing these out of jars with no luck. I just mixup a substrate, sawdust and wood chips with some nutrients. From there they are sterilized and inoculated with mycelium. It won't be long and it will be time to mix up a fresh batch of sub. I will show you how I do that real soon. I found that these loafs need a high rate of fresh air exchange and very high humidity while fruiting. No real special attention is needed they just have to stay hydrated with plenty of air. Please let me "us" know if you have any extra information to ad....

#27 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

Day 5 with the clones, three of them looking very very nice. This one looked the best to me.

image.jpg
Cropped in for a closer look
image.jpg

I had to take down all my lab stuff and store it away for two weeks as it is back to work for awhile. I won't be able to make any isolates until then but I will try to add photos when I get time and Internet.
  • Heirloom and raymycoto like this

#28 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

An update for everyone following along on my Reishi grow thread. I am still away from home but I brought my clones, I'm sure I would have a hard time not having them to keep an eye on lol. I still have eight more days of work before heading home. So I will have to wait to make transfers. It looks to me that I have gotten one plate as a monoculture from the start and the other two seen to have sectors.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am sure that these clones will overtake the dish before I can transfer any mycelium. Do you think that that will make a difference in the integrity of the culture when I do get a chance to get back to the lab? I love my job but it sure gets in the way of growing sometimes lol......
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#29 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

I am sure that these clones will overtake the dish before I can transfer any mycelium. Do you think that that will make a difference in the integrity of the culture when I do get a chance to get back to the lab? I love my job but it sure gets in the way of growing sometimes lol......

The culture will be fine if it fills up the plate. 

If you want you can slow it down by putting it in the fridge.

• Needles likes this

#30 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

I would love to see a cops face when he found your plates searching your vehicle!!

You could tell him anything, and he would probably just want the fuck away from there.

Great stuff Roomis. Impressive you can take that stuff on the road with you.

You say you have done oysters as well as the Reishi?

How about Chanterelles?

• Needles likes this

#31 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

The culture will be fine if it fills up the plate. 

If you want you can slow it down by putting it in the fridge.
No trouble finding a cool place as we are camping in the north east it has been in the teens here. I was thinking about finding a spot that will stay around 40f. Bear with me, I plan on using one of the cultures to make a LC and two sawdust blocks right away when we get home. Hopefully it won't be as boring as these clones have been lol........

#32 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

I would love to see a cops face when he found your plates searching your vehicle!!

You could tell him anything, and he would probably just want the fuck away from there.

Great stuff Roomis. Impressive you can take that stuff on the road with you.

You say you have done oysters as well as the Reishi?

How about Chanterelles?

I never thought about what a statey would say if they found my plates plus the jars of half colonized grain I have with me. I bet they would have a couple guys with a tyvek suits there asap lol.....
It's great to have this stuff with me, just can't do anything but look at it.
Oysters are fun because they grow fast and come in all sorts of colors. Pink oyster imo are the best tasting. I did have a chance to cook with chanterelles but never tried to cultivate them. They are very tasty though......
  • Sicshroom likes this

#33 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

"Oysters are fun because they grow fast and come in all sorts of colors. Pink oyster imo are the best tasting. I did have a chance to cook with chanterelles but never tried to cultivate them. They are very tasty though......"

.......copied and pasted quote incorrectly........

They certainly are, and a real bitch to grow. They apparently need a threesome to myceliate, I'm not sure about on agar plates, but in the wild. We have all three conditions outside, but so far nobody has done it in a lab.

Sounds like a challenge, not much different than what I'm trying to do now.

I have been reading a bunch on them, because through lack of knowledge I thought they might be an easy trial.

#34 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

Clones have totally overgrown the Petri dishes and are waiting to be transferred into some substrate. Still have a few more days away and I'm so ready to go home. I've got a good Internet connection and a little time tonight and thought I would share a little sidebar. If you like working with straw this is definitely a mushroom growers dream.

image.jpg
  • Microbe and happy4nic8r like this

#35 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

You should spread a little wealth, along the edges of the walkway below the gutters where they don't walk or rake, and they get some moisture.

Maybe get them an infestation of fungi they'll never forgit.

I am working on my glove box. 

getting ready for AGAR almightly!!

glovebox.JPG                                           glovebox2.JPG

Edited by happy4nic8r, 20 January 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#36 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

I'm no expert on Reishi at all, but I do live in an area where they grow wild in abundance.  The holes on the pore surfaces are from being infested with bugs. 

• Needles likes this

#37 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

I'm no expert on Reishi at all, but I do live in an area where they grow wild in abundance.  

That would be awesome to just go out and pick them. They can bring a good price at market too.
  • -=Zeus=- likes this

#38 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

Before I get started mixing substrates. I have to say that I didn't wake up one day and say this is how it is. I've read lots of the posts from some very knowledgeable people here and have watched videos and learned by trial and error.

I have found that substrates needed to grow edible and medicinal mushrooms come fairly easy and inexpensive here in the northeast. It's loaded with oak trees and farms with animals. If you can find a wood mill you can get all the sawdust you need for little or nothing. A local feed mill where you can buy animal food and beding is a great place to get grains and straw.

I like to use around five to seven pounds of substrate in each 8" gusseted filter patch bag. Even though these bags are fitted with their own filter, I make a additional filter out of a vegetable can, fiberglass insulation and vermiculite.

Start with 30 cups wood mulch and soak for 24 hours then drain but save the liquid. Take 30 cups of sawdust and mix in 3/4 cup of gypsum. Garden gypsum can be found at the Feedmill the stuff I found came pelletized. A coffee grinder works great to turn it to powder. After the gypsum has been mixed through the dry sawdust I will moisten it just a little with the drained water from the wood chips. I used to soak the sawdust too but found it to easier to get a nice field capacity buy using lightly moistened material. Once the mixture is ready i push and pack it all to one end of the tote, lifting it a slight bit and letting it drain if needed overnight.

Pile of scrap mulch
image.jpg
Coffee grinder for gypsum
image.jpg
Mixed substrate
image.jpg

#39 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

The substrate had a little extra time to drain. There wasn't much that drained but there was enough to get wet areas in the bag. Mycelium has a tough time colonizing wet areas and can leave room for contamination.
image.jpg

Using a small vegetable can is a simple way to make a filter. I selected a can that would accommodate a 100mm dispensing needle the filter is made from fiberglass insulation and vermiculite. Just pack in some fiberglass fill in some vermiculite then more fiberglass
image.jpg

Using 60 cups of substrate works out pretty good to make two 7 pound bags. That is about as much as I can handle with my PCs anyway. Bunch the bag up around the filter about halfway holding tight then wrap with tape leaving a little bit of the can expose at the top. I will PC the substrate for at least two hours at 15 psi.
image.jpg
image.jpg
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#40 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Nice write up, Roomis.

Love the tin can filters, good call.

Ever try activated charcoal layer in filters?

I had some left over from something, and use it to prefilter my HEPA filter.

I suppose if you found a tin can that fit a respirator, you could use those filters as well.

Hmmm. I have a case of those in the garage, brand new.

Why do you go 2 hours? More is better?

• Needles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!