Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

New Home, starting the homesteading venture!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor

~The one and only~

• Expired Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

Hey there everyone,

After taking another long break from the web and topia, I've managed to acquire a new home, with some land and endless projects that me and the wife would love to accomplish with it. So I figured, what better community to show the progress and projects to than topia!

There are a few things on the property already that we will be utilizing, and more things that will be constructed on top of it all, but here is the current list of planned projects to be started once all this "snow" melts away(if you could call it that with this crazy warm winter we've been having!)

Aquaponics Greenhouse

My wife showed me an awesome site, should all check out really. It's at http://www.gardenpool.org so check it out for a little more background info if you'd like.

Basically, we have an in-ground pool on the property already, we were quoted a $5000 repair bill, and that's not happening(sorry kids!). So we got the brilliant idea to build a greenhouse structure over it, and using the geothermal properties of a 20' deep pool we can have an overwintering greenhouse without needing to heat it at all. Using the deep end of the pool to have a tilapia pond and running the water through duckweed filters and then to ebb and flow tables we should be able to produce enough fresh vegetables year round with minimal running costs and a fairly budget friendly startup cost as well. As long as you've got the pool to begin with, or a backhoe to dig your lawn up.

Summer Greenhouse

Basically your regular greenhouse, to grow some nice organic veggies and herbs that either dont do well hydroponically or just as an alternative throughout the summer months. Just won't heat it throughout winter so as to save on heating costs.

Dairy Goats

Need to construct a barn for goats, we have 1 alpine doe right now, who may or may not have been bred by a Saanen buck from a large reputable dairy farm, and are looking to acquire a few more does as well. Will supply the milk and cheese for the family

Chickens

Need to construct a decent sized coop to provide eggs and meat for the family, will also use this and the excess cheese/milk from the goats as a means for making a little bit of extra money.

We're considering a couple cows for meat and a few pigs for meat as well, but figure with those projects in mind already, we need to focus on all of that beforehand.

My goal here is to show some of you how you can provide for your family on a budget, and to also learn from all of the creative geniuses we have here at the topia!

Ill be keeping this thread updated with progress and pictures as I have time. Being a full time professional chef I tend to work 50-60+ hours a week but there will always be time for the topia at some point throughout the week.

-WH

Edited by WarezHaxor, 06 January 2015 - 01:47 PM.

• TastyBeverage, coorsmikey, PsyBearknot and 6 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,428 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

I love DIY projects!! Looking forward to seeing yours and hearing about your progress.

Projects become amazingly rewarding when you actually get to do some for your self.

Wishing you and your wife good luck, and safety.

#3 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor

~The one and only~

• Expired Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thanks juthro, think you caught my post before I could finish editing it all in, but thank you much for the kind words and Im always looking for new projects with my free time. I have trouble being idle for more than 10 mins and my wife HATES it, but she does love all the projects I do get done for the family.

And I could not agree with you more about the reward of doing it all yourself, especially when the outcome could mean providing all the nourishment for family at your own hands. It's such an amazing experience.

Thanks again for your kind wishes and the same to you and yours!

• Juthro likes this

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

Welcome back. Congrats on the new home and land. Look forward to seeing what you got you going on.

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

welcome back.. i'm excited for you! :biggrin:

#6 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor

~The one and only~

• Expired Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the kind regards PSK and wharf! Glad to see your all still here:) Im excited as well, it's going to be a lot of work at first, but in the long run, it'll be producing for years to come. And a great learning experience for the kids as well!

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,072 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for sharing! I am really looking forward to your updates and progress. Definitely very inspirational for me as I would to gear my lifestyle more to this direction.

#8 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,168 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Congrats man! I have been looking into dairy goats for years. As soon as I can get a pen set up I'm going to pick up some nigeruan dwarf goats. They produce milk with 12% butterfat so I will have cream to work with. I can't wait to see your progress, keep us up to date.

#9 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

pulls up a chair!

#10 tobh

tobh

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

can't wait to see some pics! and welcome back, i recently returned to the topia as well after a few year hiatus. love your handle, btw ;)

Edited by tobh, 14 February 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#11 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

you have a 20' deep pool?

Good luck, we have had a real mild winter too, and it's time to get out the list and venture out!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!