The idea is to use an extremely low spawn ratio in order to achieve 3 goals:
1) Colonize the substrate as fast as possible
2) Get good yield as fast as possible
3) Use as little spawn as I can get away without sacrificing too much yield.
Background: My first initial idea was that exposing teh inner uncolonized grain would cause a trich farm before or during fruirting. I tried 2 tubs prior to this one. Both were 1 Quart Grain Slurry Tubs to to 10-12 Quarts Volume of Substrate. This spawn ratio was far too low. The Tubs colonized in 14 days and fruited after a week. The results from both tubs totaled only 38 grams. I tossed these out as the results were not as I wanted. Neither tub contaminated after one flush.
THAI LIPA YAI: WBS 2 QUART GRAIN SLURRY TRIAL #1:UNCASED SUBSTRATE
Substrate Ratio Per Tub:
1:4.5 Ratio Spawn:substrate
- 2 Quarts of WBS grain slurry spawn
- 9 Quarts Volume: 3/4 Brick Coir/ 1 Quarts Verm/ 1 cups gypsum
- 1.5" Sub Depth
FULL PROCEDURE: GRAIN WAS PREPPED USING FOOMAN'S GRAIN TEK IN 2 HOURS
MADE 40 QUARTS WBS GRAIN JARS FROM 1 PF JAR SLURRY (THAI CLONE FOR A TEST RUN BELOW)
MIXED UP 1 SMALL BRICKS COIR, 2 QUARTS VERM, 1 CUP GYPSUM, 5 QUARTS WATER
EXPANDED THE COIR WITH HOT WATER
DUMPED IN THE DRY VERM AND MIXED IT ALL UP WITH THE COIR. THEN POURED THE GYPSUM THAT WAS MIXED IN WITH 4 CUPS OF THE WARM WATER ON TOP OF THE VERM COIR MIX. THEN MIXED IT ALL UP.
PUT IT IN TURKEY TINS IN THE OVEN FOR 2.5 HOURS. INNER CORE TEMP WAS BROUGHT TO 170 THEN SET FOR 2 HOURS AT THAT TEMP.
ONCE COOL, FLIPPED THE TURKEY TIN UPSIDE DOWN IN MY PRE LINED TUB.
I TOOK A WIDE MOUTH QUART JAR THAT I RETROFITTED A BLADE ASSEMBLY TO THE LID. I PRESSURE COOKED 3/4 QUART OF WATER AND THE BLADE ASSEMBLY. ONCE COOL, I USED A SHMUVBOX FOR CLEAN WORK AND TOOK THE LID OFF 1 COLONIZED QUART. I POURED HALF OF THE 3/4TH QUART OF WATER INTO THAT COLONIZED QUART AND QUICKLY PUT THE METAL BLADE ON IT. I THEN USED A DRILL BIT ON THE END OF THE BLENDER TO BLEND UP THE JAR. I THEN DID THE SAME THING ON THE 2ND COLONIZED QUART OF GRAIN. I POURED THE REST OF THE WATER INTO THE 2ND QUART, THEN PUT THE SAME LID ON THE 2ND QUART JAR. THEN BLENDED IT WITH THE DRILL BIT. I POURED IT ALL INTO THE SUBSTRATE AND MIXED IT IN THOROUGHLY WITH THE PASTEURIZED SUBSTRATE WITH GLOVES ON.(I DIDN'T TAKE PICS SO IM SUBSTITUTING SOME I HAVE THAT ILLUSTRATE THIS)
BLEND WASN'T QUITE THIS SOUPY BUT DID LOOK SOMEWHAT LIKE THIS.
THE QUART LID IS LIKE THIS.
Dry yield wasn't anything special just normal. 73 grams. the substrate depth was only about 1.5" thick with no casing. 13 days from spawn to harvest. 23 days from clone to fruit. lighting speed! dunked for a 2nd flush. I plan on attempting this with a 5 tub uncased and 5 tub cased test next to get a wider range of results. The speed goal was met, yield was fair and the grow was extremely easy. I need to do some grow room tweaks to get it dialed in properly. But other than that I plan to try this same 2 Quart slurry with a 3" sub depth and cased tubs. This was an extremely fun experiment. I plan to take it to the next level in the next few months. I'm fairly confident this is repeatable and will get past 3 flushes. I am also confident that the contam ratio won't be any different than any other method I have used. I'd put my money on it. The only obstervation that I believe would cause an issue is if you use larger size grain like Rye berry or Oats. The size of the inner uncolonized grain ends up being too much exposure for contams to set in. The smaller millet or wbs grain doesn't quite get pulverized as much so the grain itself isn't as exposed. In addition, I believe that the drill bit blender wasn't as powerful as my oster is. So it did not break up the grain as much as it would have had I used the oster blender. I think using the hand drill on the oster wide mouth blade attachment is ideal for this method. On my next trial I am going to do a full 3" sub depth with a clone, using 2 Quarts of Grain Slurry while also spawning 1 quart regularly. I will update this thread as things progress.
This is a shout out to TV Casualty who invented this badass method and who gave me inspiration to try all kinds of crazy shit. So my next attempt afrer that will also be to use GS2G Transfer(Grain Slurry To Grain Transfer). This involves using a colonized grain pint jar to slurry more grain jars of wbs as a method to g2g. I am giving it this name for clairty and so I can abbreviate it.
Edited by eatyualive, 18 January 2015 - 10:33 AM.