• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

Who will be brave enough to post an experiment?

WHO, I SAY ????????!?!?!?!??

:weedpoke:

• TurkeyRanch, Microbe, happy4nic8r and 1 other like this

#2 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

Good question, and

Good To See Ya, mydarling! :hug:

• TurkeyRanch, Microbe and slicmc like this

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

You should Darlin'... your skills got most of us here beat, so lets have it. :)

Edited by hyphaenation, 29 January 2015 - 10:15 PM.

• AGAMA, TurkeyRanch, Microbe and 1 other like this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

I have one in the works, but all the documentation is slowing me down.
  • Microbe, CatsAndBats and Amanita Versicula like this

#5 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

I'm trying to figure out if I've started one, or just started filming the disaster.

Documentation to follow.

• Microbe and Amanita Versicula like this

#6 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

You should Darlin'... your skills got most of us here beat, so lets have it. :)

If only I had the time for a recreational experiment :blink:

I have one in the works, but all the documentation is slowing me down.

Yeah, welcome to science ...Patience and meticulousness are required. Scientists often spend years in the lab conducting experiments for a single project, and then months to years more trying to document it all properly so it can be published. It's not easy, I admit, but worth the effort. Looking forward to see your project, coorsmikey!

I'm trying to figure out if I've started one, or just started filming the disaster.

Documentation to follow.

Haha definitely curious to see this!

• MycoDani, coorsmikey and Stoned Angel like this

#7 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,857 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

It would be nice to see some of your handy work Clem.

Glad you're around though!

But I agree where's the beef I'd love to see something.
  • Stoned Angel likes this

#8 blackdustt

blackdustt

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

I have a few in the works. Figure I would test the procedures myself for a few dozen times before releasing. Besides, I need several tubs just to document everything.

I'm working on a beginner friendly method for producing bulk without a PC. Yes, I may just be eliminating the need of a PC for MANY people. Shhhhh  :ph34r:

• Microbe, CatsAndBats, happy4nic8r and 1 other like this

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

Save me from buying a pc, I dare ya!!!

• Microbe likes this

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

I have a few in the works. Figure I would test the procedures myself for a few dozen times before releasing. Besides, I need several tubs just to document everything.
I'm working on a beginner friendly method for producing bulk without a PC. Yes, I may just be eliminating the need of a PC for MANY people. Shhhhh  :ph34r:

Ug sounds like extra work!
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#11 blackdustt

blackdustt

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

about half the work and half the risk by the way things look here  :meditate:

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:34 AM

What is your contam-rate like in comparison Blackdust, when You do all open air, no sterilizin g/pasteurizing and when you use a pc? Curious thanks.

#13 blackdustt

blackdustt

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

I seem to have misled many people when I say open air. I work in a still air room. A small closet. I follow sterile methods buy using lysol, rubbing alcohol, gloves, torch lighter, take a shower before work and brush teeth. I have just now start implementing another way to help curve contams and that is to take a box and place it on the side and then work in the box. I also take advantage of self healing pots in my lids but I did just run a small test a few weeks ago to see the contam ratio of no sterile tek besides steaming some WBS jars for 8 hours. I started out with 5 jars. I did not use ANY sterile method when inoculating and did not work in my still air room. 3 jars were inoculated with MS and 2 jars with a pin clone (whole mushroom, non-sterile). I ended up losing 1 MS jar and 1 clone jar to trich. The other 3 colonized healthy. So, thats a 60% success rate or a 40% contam rate with any sterile method just to see what would happen. 

---

Now, when following my preferred teks for growing bulk my success rate is nearly 100% when working in a still air room. What I do is make several master grain jars then suck up the mycelium out of them for an instant LC/LI (not sure what we consider this). I then start generating more spawn by knocking up grain bags with the liquid mycelium. Following by spawning to a sub of coir/verm. I used to use the bucket tek for pasteurizing my sub but recently switched to oven pasteurizing. Usually spawn close to a 1:1 ratio of spawn to bulk. I figure 1 dry oz of cubes per quart of spawn is a good indication of clean spawn to keep the qualitative comments at by since my definition of clean spawn is quantitative.  

---

My goal is to be able to eliminate the need for people who can secure a clean spore syringe of a PC for bulk. I know that their are several methods already that accomplish this goal but I want to find a way with less work and risk. This will take time as any good experiment would.  I'm still running several preliminary projects to get a feel and idea on what to look more into and what has a good chance of working. If you notice in the mad scientist sub-forum that I have several tubs that are intended to watch how cube mycelium responds to different stimuli. I have been watching my mycelium run. lol I'm still researching for more information on possible ideas and am current reading a few micro-biology books to get a better understanding how the bigger picture. When I can get some constant results of the goal I am after I will share with the community. As of right now though, I dont have much to share.  :wub:

• TurkeyRanch, CatsAndBats and happy4nic8r like this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

The cold fermentation process looks to have lots of promise. I think I first read about it in radical myc or in @seeker2be 's thread..

#15 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

Blackdustt: I agree with your percentages, and that's pretty good for non clean work, I think. 

Non sterile agar work is not anywhere near that, and I'm told, neither is grain.

I just bought a pressure cooker today, and I'm going to try my usual 60% successful batch of pf jars, to test out the new equipment.

Then, watch out agar!!!

Maybe even you, grain!!!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

Blackdustt: I agree with your percentages, and that's pretty good for non clean work, I think. 

Non sterile agar work is not anywhere near that, and I'm told, neither is grain.

I just bought a pressure cooker today, and I'm going to try my usual 60% successful batch of pf jars, to test out the new equipment.

Then, watch out agar!!!

Maybe even you, grain!!!

Just wait until my microwave tek is perfected!

my agar work turned out SO slow..

Edited by catattack, 02 February 2015 - 06:12 PM.

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

I love microwave teks. I like to use the microwave for small projects but I always end up boiling something over and making a mess. Burnt agar in the microwave is a pain in the ass to clean.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

I love microwave teks. I like to use the microwave for small projects but I always end up boiling something over and making a mess. Burnt agar in the microwave is a pain in the ass to clean.

I have a straw/myc "cake" that just keeps kicking out fruits..

#19 blackdustt

blackdustt

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

microwaves work. Dont say that at the Shroomery though. lol Blackout over their has some good experience on it. In theory, couldn't one just lower the PH of an agar dish to discourage bacteria and inoculate with an LI/LC with less sterile methods with good success? I have a very strong theory that is currently being tested (I'm sure it will takes years) that the speed of the inoculate determines the amount a medium would need to be sanitized (sterilized). That faster inoculates (LI/LC) are fine for less sanitized mediums then a inoculate of MS or a agar wedge that would need to be PC'd to create the window of opportunity for the inoculate to be successful.  :ph34r: Shhhhh

---

you guys seem cool so I dont mind sharing my thoughts.  :thumbs_up2:

---

btw, I think cubes may be cannibalistic. I have a tub now that is seeing if new mycelium will takeover and eat some old mycelium. 

Edited by blackdustt, 02 February 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#20 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Timing is everything as we know.

I think some contams grow quicker than myc, and those need the sterile prep. Others that grow slower are taken out by the mix.\

I hear tell there are hundreds agar recipes with all kinds of specific organisms they target.

Same with grains and flours, I heard that there are specific sterilizations for each grain, and each grind. 

Some just start growing when they hit hot water, and a week later become a contam magnet.

I guess pressure cooking takes out some of those.

I wish they'd just give us the schedule so we know who is going to show up when.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!