• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

I thought I would share my method for a small scale grow of oysters mushrooms indoors. These guys are easy to grow, very tasty and MUCH better then purchasing from the local grocery. I have started this post from grain master, as my agar cultures have already been established and stored for sometime now.

Grain master inoculated with a single agar wedge:
image.jpg

3 days and mycelium has grown into grain:
image.jpg

5 days later the grain master is fully colonized and ready to inoculate G2 jars:
image.jpg

G2 jars shaken, colonized and ready for spawning into bulk substrate:
image.jpg

My bulk substrate of choice for oysters is pasteurized straw. It's easy, cheap, and oysters grow well on them. There are several ways to pastureize bulk, but I prefer using the pillow case tek in hot water bath. It has worked for me thus far and I like the consistent results. I place dry prepared straw in to the pillow cases, submerge them in a large pot of water that is kept at 160F for an hour. Then I allow them to drain and cool for several hours:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

After drained and cooled, I inoculate with grain spawn into a laundry basket, one layer of straw, then grain, then more straw, and so on until the basket is full:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Then I cover the basket with plastic, place in a large tote, and cover with a blanket until fully colonized:
image.jpg image.jpg

10 days later and the basket is colonized and ready for fruiting:
image.jpg

Then I place the basket into my green house dialed in at 98-100 percent humidity with very frequent FAE. (Lost the pic of when I first put into the GH). And 2 days later pins develop:

image.jpg image.jpg

First flush ready for harvest:
image.jpg

2nd flush growing in the GH and up close photo of a good cluster:
image.jpg image.jpg
  • GlitchInSpace, roscoe, -=Zeus=- and 10 others like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

Very nice work now I'm hungry!

#3 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

Very nice work now I'm hungry!

Yep, the second I saw the pic of the flush I thought mushroom omelette!

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

Nice work PFrog. I love a good step by step.

I have been working on starting one from transfer to cardboard, and was just starting to finalize research into the proper next step for substrate.

This answers that question.

Thank you very much.

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the replies.

roscoe, that's funny you said that, my wife and I had shrooms and eggs this morning with a lot of homemade hot sauce for me.
They are very tasty freshly picked and fully cooked.

Happy, you will not be disappointed by growing these guys. You will find they are real fast and easy to grow. And very good!

#6 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

i just hope you asked before re-purposing that laundry basket

Think my wife might shoot me if she saw me stuffing the laundry basket full of wet straw

#7 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Na just thought I would throw it back in the laundry room before she realizes it's missing. Haha.

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

same green house what do you do or use to keep up the humidity?

#9 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

I use a coolmist humidifier only. I live in an area where the normal Rh is pretty high so that's all I need to attain 85-100 percent humidity levels. To gain 100 percent levels, I turn the coolmist on high and let it run for an hour then off for 2 hours 24-7. For casings, I dial the coolmist down to low power but run the same schedule. I have a few small holes in the plastic for added FAE. I open and fan 3 times a day, but it is overkill imo. I have left my GH grows unattended for up to 4 days and all was fine. A GH setup is pretty automated once you have it dialed in correctly. With the obvious exception of having to fill the water levels periodically.

I really don't use it that much anymore, but it is a great option for cultivating on a small scale.

#10 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Thought I would add a few more pics to this grow.

Nice cluster fully grown:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A bowl full:
image.jpg
  • Skywatcher, gremlinchode and tobh like this

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,956 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Yummmmmmmmmmm

#12 tobh

tobh

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

awesome! i'm doing research now to get into growing these. need to find a good source for spores or spawn plugs first though. was telling my ole lady about this style of growing them the other day, love seeing those clusters. can't wait to have my own. thanks for the inspiration man!

• peacefrog likes this

#13 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

Tobh,

Pm me. I'd be happy to send a print no cost of course.

#14 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

awesome! i'm doing research now to get into growing these. need to find a good source for spores or spawn plugs first though. was telling my ole lady about this style of growing them the other day, love seeing those clusters. can't wait to have my own. thanks for the inspiration man!

Since it's mid winter, may i suggest either pearl oysters or blue oysters to start with... both prefer lower fruiting temps than golden oysters, especially the blues.

• tobh likes this

#15 tobh

tobh

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

heh it may be mid winter for the rest of the country, in my area (around 35 degrees N latitude) we've been in the mid 60's for two weeks. I definitely appreciate the advice though. I found a source for spawn plugs last night, 100 plugs for $16 USD. Would I be better sourcing a syringe or can these plugs be spawned directly to straw?

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

Archive Material - Yellow Oysters-

Thanks so much. Not enough in the vaults about that particular oyster.

• Skywatcher likes this

#17 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

heh it may be mid winter for the rest of the country, in my area (around 35 degrees N latitude) we've been in the mid 60's for two weeks. I definitely appreciate the advice though. I found a source for spawn plugs last night, 100 plugs for $16 USD. Would I be better sourcing a syringe or can these plugs be spawned directly to straw?

Oyster mycelium is incredibly robust so you can spawn directly to straw if you like. However, a better idea is to use them or at least some of them to make more spawn. Do up some grain jars. That 100 pack of dowels can turn into literally gallons of spawn in pretty short order.

Also, i would like add that i MUCH prefer oysters grown on wood substrate. Wood chips or bleach pasteurized paper scraps make much better tasting mushrooms than straw.

Since this thread is going to the archives, you should start your own with any more questions. Less editing for the mods.

• tobh likes this

#18 tobh

tobh

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

Agreed. I appreciate the information TastyBeverage.

• TastyBeverage likes this

#19 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hyph,
Thank you I am honored my post could be archive material.

And true, wood based substrate provides a better flavor. I have used wood chips/saw dust substrates before, but prefer straw for its ease and cheap prices. One bale runs me ~6 bucks and will grow a TON of mushrooms. And imo the flavor is still awesome using straw. But I would say if had more room, I would love to noc up some wood outdoors with plugs.
  • TastyBeverage and torn2bits like this

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

You can add bran as a supplement to your shredded straw also for better performance... but at the end of the day a nice rack of oysters is a nice rack of oysters. Would it be "better" if was on wood, yah maybe, but still you did a great job.
  • TastyBeverage likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!