Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

I'm in love with these

http://treecollards.blogspot.com/?m=1

[Direct Link]

I got a cutting off the internet.

image.jpg

Took a cutting from it and successfully rooted it image.jpg

It was growing nicely indoor till I had a pest issue in my garden. Had to get rid of all my plants and let everything g dry out. I figured the tree collard had hit the dust. But it out grew my space some how in this time. But lost a ton of leaves due to the dry out.

I was able to get 5 cuttings out of it to clean it up so I decided to try and root those as well
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This last one is pretty small compared to the cutting guidelines but we will see how they go.

Hopefully will root and be established for some outdoor season this year. They will outgrow my indoor space pretty easily from what I have read.

image.jpg
  • TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and tobh like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Tree collards turn purple after a cold snap. Put these out side when the temps were in the '40s. A couple nights got down close to freezing.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#3 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

Man, it looks awesome even after it's brush with death! Have you been munching on it yet?

I have never tried them, pretty tasty? I really like the idea of it being an annual.

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

I have not yet. I had been growing it and taking cuttings. They have a Very strong collard smell just being by them. One reason I took them outside they were stinking up my spare room and otherbear was not too happy with that. I have read that they are sweetest after a cold snap.

They will not be perrineal in my area if left outside. So I plan on taking one of them inside and after harvesting the others

When the lower stems start to grow leaves back out on the main plant I'll start to harvest and eat them. I'll let the others get that tall befor I do anything to them as well.

Moving to a more "urban" location to live here shortly and they will be great additions to the small yard and larg deck I have.
Started some moringa oleifera as well. I like the idea of a few bio-intensive superfood type plants that I can use for food AND visual value.

Most of it will be in large pots on the deck and back patio/parking area that I'm going to make a setting area out of.

Just need to find some other interesting plants to include.
  • TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

Well had a hell of a storm just now and one of the three branches broke off. I'm bummed. I had 3 perfectly even tops going that I trained out to make a tree like canopy. Lucky it broke clean at the base and the other two are just fine.

I'm gonna try to re root it, but the stem is 1/2-3/4 inch thick and woody. not sure how well that will work. Will try to change out the water every couple of days.

May drive round tonight and see if I can find a willlow tree that I can discretry grab some young branches off and make some rooting water to see if that will help.
These things are supposed to get 6-8 feet tall in a season but not at this rate!

image.jpg

Edited by PsyBearknot, 21 May 2015 - 01:27 PM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

Well had a hell of a storm just now and one of the three branches broke off. I'm bummed. I had 3 perfectly even tops going that I trained out to make a tree like canopy. Lucky it broke clean at the base and the other two are just fine.
I'm gonna try to re root it, but the stem is 1/2-3/4 inch thick and woody. not sure how well that will work. Will try to change out the water every couple of days.
May drive round tonight and see if I can find a willlow tree that I can discretry grab some young branches off and make some rooting water to see if that will help.
These things are supposed to get 6-8 feet tall in a season but not at this rate!
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

After looking at the branch tat broke off I noticed it had 2 nice stems that would make really good cuttings. The main one is still pretty thick. So will need to pay more attention to the rooting process.

image.jpg

I love the color of these plants. I'm assuming they are going to loose their purple color when it heats up during the summer.
image.jpg image.jpg

I'd be courious to know if there is a difference in the nutritional make up between a purple leaf and a green leaf.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 23 May 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Man, it looks awesome even after it's brush with death! Have you been munching on it yet?
I have never tried them, pretty tasty? I really like the idea of it being an annual.

Just munched on one.

Was good raw. Sweet, light kale/generic green's flavor turning pretty bitter In The end but manageable. Little rubbery in the texture raw but a very hearty leaf. I ran up to the market that I get juice and smoothies and asked them to run it through the juicer. Gave a decent a out of juice with a more intens flavor but less bitter. Would be good to use in place of a high sugar fruit in a juice or smoothie for sweetness.

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Current tree collard off spring

image.jpg

Next candidate for cutting

image.jpg

Re-potted up

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The branch from the storm has been dunked into water. Saw video of some one doing cuttings as such with no leaves and getting roots and leaves. Much thinner of a cut then this but thought what the heck.
image.jpg

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

The broken branch I am attempting g to root is still supporting leaf growth.
I have been trying to change the water ever 2-3 daysimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The branch is pretty thick. I noticed there are some barnacle looking bumps forming. I'm hoping root growth
image.jpg image.jpg

5/31
Needed some extra room where the cuttings were. I found 2 new cuttings I wanted to take. So I potted the last 2 up even though they had yet to break root. This should be ok. The other method of tooting these is to stick them in dirt and water.
I also need a garden warming gift for a recent home owner and wanted to take one to them.

image.jpg

The 2 new cuttings

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gener rule seems to be cut at 6 leaf sets and trim back bottom 3. Roots are supposed to break from these leaf nodes. But seems to me that they break firs from the cut end.

They are loving this cool rainy weather. The purple seems to come out more.

image.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!