#1 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

I thought it would be fun to start a thread that people could share their bushcraft and camp knowledge in.

The gentleman in this video is from the same geographical part of Alaska that I am in, and he has quite a few really good videos on these subjects.

Here is one on how to make your own high quality water filtration system for a fraction of the price of a commercially built one. I am impressed with it, it is an easy DIY build, and a very effective system.

[Direct Link]

Please feel free to post any bushcraft tricks or tips you would like to share here. I look forward to seeing them.
  • PsyBearknot, riseabovethought, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:38 AM

Great idea :)

Nice water filter :) Our water around here looks like that too lol

Edited by wildedibles, 26 February 2015 - 02:13 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

:) Here is a little bushcraft craft

[Direct Link]

10 min bush chair wow nice ...

[Direct Link]

...Looks like it keep the pressure of the sciatic nerve too nice for sore backs and butts :)

Edited by wildedibles, 26 February 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

They found his video camera next to his frozen body?

• wildedibles likes this

#6 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

[Direct Link]

Edited by the_chosen_one, 26 February 2015 - 04:24 PM.
because every back packer should have scissors in the pack lol

• TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

They found his video camera next to his frozen body?

LMAO I think you are right ....I have been staying out of the woods cause it has been sooo cold but walking in town is way colder then walking in the woods but I do not have the energy to do both and since I have to get errands done the woods is waiting till it is a little warmer in there ;) 40 below latley with the wind chill too cold skin will freze in less than 10mins no kidding so dress warm I have wool when I go out walking in this cold in town or in the woods lots of layers ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 26 February 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

WOW easy fire do not show the kiddies this one lmao they chew the gum around here ;) and have all the batteries for that matter....??

I lived in the north all my life and in school we had classes to survive in the woods we had to learn how to keep a fire going all class about 2 hours I think we were able to have one match and we had to learn how to make shelters for summer and winter ....if we failed the class he said we died not failed ;) so it was incentive to keep surviving

I did good with the fire and the shelters (making too many forts as a kid :)) but learning how to use a compass I sucked at

When I do go out into the woods I always bring someone with me hubby or my oldest boys they seem to have a compass in their heads :) I can get lost in the woods turn me around and I have no idea where i came from usually wen I am careful this wont happen but when I get foraging I go way off the trail to find good stuff and thats when I have no sense of direction

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 26 February 2015 - 05:06 PM.

• the_chosen_one, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

I understand about getting lost while foraging.  I got really lost in 25 year old fir plantation in the Oregon Coast Range while finding squirrel-cut fir cones for a timber company.  I was not in familiar country, as I had traveled for that job. 

It was usually a fun job, but easy to get lost, and once I almost got caught in a forest fire.  Had to drive through blinding smoke and close to the flames.  It was a scary moment. 

• TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Its your turn to do the dishes.

[Direct Link]

• wildedibles likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

I like how she got him to do the dishes :)

Alderlogs I am glad you found your way out of the bush :)

There is 2 more parts to the last 2 I posted for some reason I cannot watch youtube on youtube but I can watch them here so bear with me ;)

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 26 February 2015 - 07:43 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#12 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

very nice info, looking forward  to watching all the vids.

this may be common knowledge for most of you . wool will keep you warm even if it is wet, unlike cotton which will drain your body heat. good idea to have wool socks , long wool under garment and a wool blanket.

I know from experience, saved me from hypothermia or worse. I was forbidden to make a fire, I was in the us army at the time. it was maybe 40 F in the daytime  worse at night.

• Juthro likes this

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

very nice info, looking forward to watching all the vids.

this may be common knowledge for most of you . wool will keep you warm even if it is wet, unlike cotton which will drain your body heat. good idea to have wool socks , long wool under garment and a wool blanket.

I know from experience, saved me from hypothermia or worse. I was forbidden to make a fire, I was in the us army at the time. it was maybe 40 F in the daytime worse at night.

Good info HS, and thanks for sharing it. Some of us might have known it, but if someone did not its here for them now. And all good info is welcome here. I like a nice wool blend to keep me from feeling itchy like straight wool can.
  • Heirloom likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

So I was board, and intoxicated the other night (I KNOW!!! big surprise right?), and this was the outcome. An improvised alcohol stove made from a couple of soda cans.

It works better than I expected, and so easy to make that even a half of bottle of rum didn't make it's manufacture to difficult.

I was running the stove on 99% Isopropyl alcohol, but it will burn much cleaner (clear blue flame, no soot) on methanol (those yellow bottles of HEAT brand gas dryer), I just didn't have any handy. It will also burn very well on ethanol, but I seem to find other uses for that around here, and Everclear is much more expensive.

1aa.jpg 1ab.jpg 1b.jpg 1bb.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 13 July 2015 - 02:05 PM.

• Alder Logs and sillyrabbitcubiesR4us like this

#15 stoffel

stoffel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

a bushcraft topic! this is so very nice ^^

i am a bushcrafter/camper myself, and i love to be in nature.

I allways wondered in the back of my mind, why camping and psychedelics arent maried.

Tripping only made my interest and love to be in nature grow. (using knifes and saws is never a good idea while drinking or tripping :p ) 

• Juthro likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

I allways wondered in the back of my mind, why camping and psychedelics arent maried.

They prefer to remain "friends with benefits."

Hiking.jpg

[Direct Link]

And that is how mimes make fire! (frankly it was refreshing to watch a video not made by someone who likes to hear themselves talk!)

I use #0000 steel wool (very fine grade) and a 9v battery as a fire starter/party trick. Touch a little ball of steel wool (NOT the whole pad!!) to the terminals and you got a fire starter (or neat spark effect if you wave it around).

For a no-tool primitive fire starter, it'd be hard to beat bamboo for simplicity (if you can find some). Split a section of dry bamboo that's about a foot long lengthwise into two pieces. Carve a V-notch in the middle of one piece so there's a small hole at the bottom of the notch (can use a rock for this).

Place some tinder on dry ground (or a piece of bark) next to your fire pit (that's ready to go). Place the piece of bamboo with the notch in it so that the notch covers the tinder and the hole is directly above it. The semi-circle shape of the bamboo prevents the tinder from being crushed/smothered.

Hold the bamboo down over the tinder by stepping on it with your foot while resting your other knee on the ground (I'm right handed so I hold it down with my left foot while kneeling on my right knee). Grasp the other piece of bamboo with both hands and place the long edge into the notch, then start sawing away.

You want to "saw" the bamboo back-and-forth as fast as you can, using strokes that are as short as is practical (~1-2") while pressing down with as much force as you can while still allowing you to make the sawing motion (and without breaking either piece, of course).

Once a good head of smoke starts rising from the notch, you can remove the bamboo off the tinder and gently blow the ember into flame and transfer it to your fire pit (putting the tinder on a piece of bark before igniting it makes moving it easier).

Edited by TVCasualty, 15 September 2015 - 11:51 AM.

• Mycomaniac2007, stoffel and Juthro like this

#17 stoffel

stoffel

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

@tv lol :p  

but serriously, tripping can give you such a beautifull connection with nature! we are nature, nature "is" 

you know certainly what i mean :p

actualy it goes further then bushcraft. you become wild, back a part of the large machine. 'bushcraft' is just a human invention. but nice to do because it enlargens the possibility to actualy survive in nature again. so it can bring back that feeling in normal life, of connection and beeng part of it.

cool thing about the fire starters. i'm learning flint and steel and magnesium stick

:wink:

Edited by stoffel, 15 September 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

I am 800 feet from my closest neighbors in the southern quadrants, and the last living being in hundreds of square miles in the northern.  I have to drive most of an hour in any direction to come to a stop light.  I wait here for the Cascadia subduction quake to take out the roads and bridges.  The bush is a destination location for most folks.

• Mycomaniac2007 and Juthro like this

#19 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,753 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Here's a link to a book tread I stated which I'll add up links to random topics... I've posted a few survival/bushcraft books and will post more..

https://mycotopia.ne...a'ed-up-Library

Skunkbudda4o3

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:30 AM

I have been watching this guys videos Im addicted lol they really are done well

(If I can find out how to post a vid I will) .........

[Direct Link]

.....:) I think I did it ;) How to make cord from nettles :) ............I love the wild food videos :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!