11 replies to this topic

#1 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

Just came across this screen shot. I guess the word is out...

school-sucks-1024x696.jpg

Edited by August West, 06 March 2015 - 01:25 AM.

• Sidestreet, -=Zeus=-, riseabovethought and 5 others like this

#2 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:54 PM

I can definitely identify with a few of those.

• Juthro likes this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:11 AM

damn, i'm 45 years old and looking at that i feel like i'm 13 :(   i remember very well.

• Juthro likes this

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

I went back to school when I was 50 and it was awesome.

It made me poor though, very expensive, but then aren't all good times?

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

It is definitely easier the second time around, at lease for me anyway. I am currently taking some classes at the community collage to try and better myself, and to help me to advance in my job. It has been a difficult transition for me but for the most part I am enjoying myself. The hardest part for me was getting over all of the bad memories of what public school was to me as a kid. It was difficult not to restart with a chip on my shoulder, but I think that I am getting there.

But the public school system in this country is crap, and it does a horrible job at installing anything other then the notion that you don't matter and you have no voice.

#6 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Man I went back to school in my late twenties, and it was really painful. I can't imagine doing it again, especially since I have become so adept at educating myself online.

Something is really wrong with the education system in the USA, and western culture in general. Most of my school memories are associated with anxiety, not a good sign. I always got good grades, but I was constantly in trouble for reading novels during class, or being chronically late with projects or assignments. I thought I sucked at such things, only to find as an adult, if I care and it applies to my actual life, these things are easy.

We need to pay teachers more, first thing. If I ever have offspring, guess who will be educating them? Me. And possibly some of my very intelligent and loving friends, not some "public school".
  • -=Zeus=-, Coopdog, shiitakegrower and 2 others like this

#7 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

I thought I would home school my little girl for sure, but she wants to be around kids and so I try to give her that, but I see that dark side of humanity exposing itself to my innocent little angel through all those submission rituals they make the kids undergo; look alike, dont speak unless spoken to, be a good girl, your worth is judged by us, you are bad, get in line, color inside the lines, stand in line single file, dont talk out of turn, dont stand out, blend in, dont be yourself, be more like everyone else, dont go that way, go this way, and count money, be very good at math so you can count money accurately, do what you're told, work hard (not smart) and pay the consequences if you dont obey.  Whats most important is getting approval from others and being a winner!   

• Sidestreet, -=Zeus=-, TurkeyRanch and 2 others like this

#8 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

I thought I would home school my little girl for sure, but she wants to be around kids and so I try to give her that, but I see that dark side of humanity exposing itself to my innocent little angel through all those submission rituals they make the kids undergo; look alike, dont speak unless spoken to, be a good girl, your worth is judged by us, you are bad, get in line, color inside the lines, stand in line single file, dont talk out of turn, dont stand out, blend in, dont be yourself, be more like everyone else, dont go that way, go this way, and count money, be very good at math so you can count money accurately, do what you're told, work hard (not smart) and pay the consequences if you dont obey.  Whats most important is getting approval from others and being a winner!   

Depending on where you live there are a lot of opportunities to link up with un/home-schoolers. Support groups, co-ops, etc. The myth of socialization (as if schooling generally offers the kind of socialization we should promote) may have been tough to get around in the past, is no longer so in the 21st century. Plenty of opportunity to be around other children.

Either way, you can at least support her individuality as the collective blob attempts to devour her. Talk frankly, support her questioning, foster her self-responsibility, self-reliance, tell her Lincoln and Wilson and FDR weren't really heros (regardless of the fairy tales). But...you knew all that already ;)

For when she gets a little older...a few worthwhile skills she may not receive from government/corporate schooling.

• Sidestreet and TurkeyRanch like this

#9 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

If you have children, it might be a good idea to send them to Camp Winnarainbow.

http://campwinnarainbow.org

It's a camp where they will help erase some of that brainwashing. It is run by Wavy Gravy, one of my favorite clown/bodhavistas.

Winnarainbow is all about being individual, expressive, unique, yourself, and lots of good stuff.
  • -=Zeus=- and AGAMA like this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,830 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

[Direct Link]

• -=Zeus=- likes this

#11 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

That hits the nail on the head!  My biggest gripe about school, was that even though I excelled at most subjects, there would be a requirement or two that just did not do anything for me other than keeping me from grabbing the big payoff.

#12 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

I ended up dropping out of high school toward the end, but that was because most of my last year I was sick with bipolar stuff and in and out of lots of hospitals. When I was out of the hospitals I went to one of those "schools for trouble youths" and it was SO EASY I got bored and dropped out, went back to the local high school, missed out on so much and didn't want to deal with it... Just went for my diploma equivalent.

Then in my early 20's I went to community college. Loved it. Majored in the arts. Don't regret it.

Don't see myself going back to college, though... Would be another 3 or 4 years part time and at least 2 or 3 years full time to get a BA and what will a BA get me? Nothing.

I'd be lost in the swarm of all of the other people with a BA and no practical employable experience to tell of and I'd be in so much debt...

Now I'm just relearning programming and web design/development. These days jobs only care about what you can do and technically I have 10+ years of experience learning from books and doing things on my own. Just have to get with the times as so much has changed before I can apply to those kinds of jobs. Fortunately have friends from long ago who will vouch for me for references and what I have done to help when I'm ready.

We're in the information age. If you can learn from reading and you apply yourself you can do a lot.

I'd like to go to trade school when I can find work and save up the money. WAY cheaper than college and more practical, basically guaranteed a job and I'm not afraid of getting dirty. Heck, been helping the old man with that for ages. Just don't know enough to start up on my own.

I know I ain't no dummy. My community college mostly had professors who also taught in good state universities and I graduated with honors. Got into a national honors society, too. So I know I'll find a way some way.

You figure in the USA college should be more accessible to people who aren't super rich.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!