Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Any interest in a "how to" guide to getting fitter, stronger for little or no $?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

I'm just posting this to see if there's any interest here in the community about learning how to get stronger, build muscle, and just getting fitter in general without the need for much money or a gym.

If there's some interest I'll go ahead and start a thread dedicated to this. I'll share everything I've learned since 2010 by reading books, doing internet research, and through my own personal trial and error.

I used to lift weights and, for a long time, I thought that was the only way men or women could get legitimately stronger, fitter, build strength and put on some muscle. Then I started to learn about calisthenics/bodyweight exercises where you use your own bodyweight with decreasing leverage to build strength and muscle.

I like calisthenics better because you don't need a gym membership (don't need to get caught up in shady contracts), don't need much equipment (the stuff you need is cheap or you can build it yourself), you can do it anywhere any time (home or parks outdoors) and you're always doing something new, different, and fun. With weights, all you do is the same old thing, all the time, just trying to add more weight. I don't know about YOU, but for ME that stuff sure got old at around 2 years into my training and I just couldn't be half-assed or bothered to do it anymore.

Not only that, but if you look at the most bad-ass military people (USA) like the Marines or the Navy SEALs, even THEY depend highly on calisthenics/bodyweight exercises. If it's good enough for those guys it sure as hell is probably good enough for me, too!

This is for people who want to put on some muscle, gain strength, and be healthy and happy. It is NOT for people who want to look like body builders or be the strongest dudes in a gym. This is about real-life practical strength, looking and feeling better, being healthy, being strong, and just being happier.

I was sort of planning on doing this on my own as a mini pet project anyway. I bet I'll do it soon either way, but if people have an interest I'd love to know so I know how much work I plan to put into it.

Basically I'll be linking to book recommendations (even posting the actual books for download to Topia), Youtube recommendations, and sharing links I feel are invaluable that I've bookmarked over the years. I'd also love to see this become a collaborative effort where all Topians can chime in to learn from and teach one another where all ideas are welcome.

Topians seem to like the idea of going against "the man" or "the system". I can easily see the fitness industry as "the man" or "the system" in a big way with selling expensive (usually bunk) fitness equipment, diets, supplements (usually bunk), and over-charging for gym memberships and locking you into nearly impossible-to-get-out-of contracts. I bet that Topians are also keen to the idea of self-reliance when it comes to keeping their own bodies healthy.

So please chime in and let me know what you think and what YOU would like to see out of a dedicated thread to fitness for free/practically no $.

Edited by niemandgeist, 08 April 2015 - 11:12 AM.

• mycowarrier likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

I am not one that would be an active poster in such thread, however I definiteley would be reading it and may even try out some of the stuff. I am all for having the info here for reference.
  • mycowarrier and niemandgeist like this

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

I really love hitting the heavy bag and once I cant move my arms, I love to swim and stretch it out, holding my breath underwater as long as I can (to improve lung volume - one measure of aging).  I love pull ups and push ups alternating sets of each, and going to exhaustion... But mostly I really love to vape nugs and chill...figure out mankinds' questions, ponder my own, delve deep into my own thoughts and twist what is toward what should be.  I like your style Niem.  You're a push it through, not -gonna -take no - kinda guy.  Persistence is perhaps the most unstoppable force we possess, if we possess it, that is.  Thanks for never giving up.    

• mycowarrier likes this

#4 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,500 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

I would love some pointers on getting into this... I really like the idea of this type of workout. Got any easy beginner stuff? I'm currently not in great shape lol
  • niemandgeist likes this

#5 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,028 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

Consume protein and do work. Makes for a pretty short "guide" don't ya think? ;)  I keed. I keed. But seriously, it's really that simple. 

• Phineas_Carmichael and niemandgeist like this

#6 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

Zen_ --- You're right.

Main thing is that, if you aren't going to do dumbbells or barbells most people aren't going to know much about using little else to get stronger.

I'll start a new thread about it in the near future. Probably the "Bodyweight Fitness Thread" or something similar. I've bookmarked a lot of good links over the years, have some good Youtube channels to share, and also have good book recommendations... and because this is Mycotopia and I can post those books in PDF format here I will post them to make sharing and learning easier.

Everybody knows about push ups, lunges, body weight squats, pull ups, but most people don't know how to make them harder to gain more strength and muscle. If you can do 20 pull ups, 20 push ups, 20 lunges, 20 squats that's great... But you won't build more strength or muscle unless you know a bit more.

Everybody knows "Work at this weight with dumbbells/barbells... Once you can do X or Y add more weight."

Not as easy without the dumbbells/barbells. BUT you don't need a gym membership contract or much money! Hell, if you have a park/playground near you you COULD do it for free.

It's not difficult. I promise. It's basically free or nearly free. It's fun. I like it much better than weight lifting. You can still add extra weight though. Lots of ways to add weight without spending money or much money. Sand bag training is good. Improvisation is big with this way of getting fitter. I'll post and teach what I know and always link to people who know more than I do.

Edited by niemandgeist, 17 April 2015 - 03:57 PM.

• mycowarrier, Phineas_Carmichael and happy4nic8r like this

#7 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,028 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

Main thing is that, if you aren't going to do dumbbells or barbells most people aren't going to know much about using little else to get stronger.

How so? Do WORK. Learn proper forms so you don't hurt yourself, be reasonable, but do WORK. If you eat enough protein and do enough work, you WILL get stronger.

I don't want to get into the politics of the Crossfit movement, but it's essentially based upon those two things: 1) Proper form, 2) Functional work.

If you can do things that you have fun doing and call it "work" then all is well and good. Mountain bike, road bike, rock climb, hike, swim, lift heavy things (like logs), throw heavy things (like logs); you don't have to go crazy, but the stronger you get the crazier things you'll be lifting - onlookers be like wha??!

If you don't have natural shit then go get a medicine ball, bricks, cinder blocks; stack them, throw them, lift them, twist with them... move. work.

Eat protein.

Do work.

Get strong.

I'll let you expand.

Above is my recipe. Below is the work. :)

IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1384.JPG

• mycowarrier, TurkeyRanch, Phineas_Carmichael and 2 others like this

#8 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

Zen be careful with the chainsaw bro.

There's a big hole in the crotch of your pants  :blush:

• Zen_, TurkeyRanch, Phineas_Carmichael and 2 others like this

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

I like to mix in a little digging with a shovel, and moving the dirt around with a wheelbarrow, good outside fun.

Limited by weather, and having some ground that you can move.

Pilot here, then pilot there..........who said you need an airplane.

Like the log benches, what kind of wood are you working out with there Zen?

I think he know about the hole, it was intentional, pre posting for the BNM thread!!

Edited by happy4nic8r, 17 April 2015 - 06:07 PM.

• Zen_, mycowarrier and niemandgeist like this

#10 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Zen_,

Again, basically you're right. You're speaking generally, though. That's not wrong. Just saying... For people who may not know how to work out to get stronger or build muscle they may need to know more about the basics than just "do work consume protein/healthy food".

Not saying you're wrong.

Just saying...

Some people need to be introduced from the very basics with lots of explanation.

TO BE FIT GENERALLY though....

Zen_ is right.

Just do a lot of physical activity and eat healthily. Rest well. Listen to your body. Over time you'll get stronger and better at what you're doing and maybe you'll venture out and do more difficult stuff.

What I'm talking about here in this thread is:

Progressive overload.

Progressive overload?

OK. Let's say you wanna get stronger and fitter. You start doing push ups. Good. You're doing something. Well, once you can do like 3 sets of 20 push ups you ain't gettin' no stronger... You're just building muscular endurance.

Many people reading just that might be like... "WTF?! DA FUCK THAT MEAN!?"

So there we got a problem.

You may be able to do 100 push ups, but the dude who can do many MORE DIFFICULT TYPES OF PUSH UPS, even if he can't do 100... is WAY stronger than you are and probably has more muscle.

A lot about fitness in general seems pretty simple, but NOT EVERYBODY KNOWS THE ABSOLUTE BASICS!

So here I am wanting to talk to the people who may know jack shizzle and link them to sources and books and give them information to read and use to build themselves up with.

Just saying...

Fitness at its heart IS PRETTY SIMPLE but a LOT of people just don't know this stuff so...

They might want to understand BASICALLY WHY they want to do some basic things and HOW AND WHY they should make things more difficult over time, etc. etc.

I'm trying to present information like:

IF YOU DO NOT WANT to get trapped into an expensive gym membership/don't want to get locked into/dependent upon equipment/one location/want to be truly FREE in your quest to build muscle and strength a "different way" that most people don't seem to know about, well, I will tell you some shit that you gonna find VERY interesting and useful!

Shit... I didn't know this stuff until a few years ago myself.

If you want to be generally fit just move around. Do hard work. Eat well and healthily. Get rest. What Zen_ says is truth.

If you want to build some muscular size, endurance... without weights or a gym/contract... or you've done weights and it ain't for you (It gets boring after a few years! I KNOW!) and you want to learn about alternatives.... Then my future posts might be cool to your interest.

There are MANY routes to being "fit" healthy and strong. I know most people probably don't know about anything other than "BUY A HOME GYM/Sign up and go to the gym with weights". There are so many ways.

Just trying to spread what I know and what's worked for me. Trying to over time get into the specifics of it though for people who may not know jack shizzle.

I still got 15 or 20 pounds to lose.... But I can do me different kinds of pull ups/chin ups, dips/etc. We gotta do what we can with what we have! I hope to present a "How to do a LOT" what what you have even if you think you have jack shizznat!

• Zen_ and mycowarrier like this

#11 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

My son was recently telling me that my winter weight and depression could be solved with simple exercise each day.

I told him that I have not done "simple exercise" in my entire life.

Like Zen, I work for my exercise, and other than swimming, I don't do routine workout type stuff.

It might be that the reduction in available work, or the incentive of getting paid to do it, and not get paid if I don't, could change my outlook or my needs.

I think for me at least it's a mental thing, as much as a physical thing. 

If you feel good, you will do more, and get in better shape.

Same holds for the reverse, do less, feel worse etc.

If there were only a simple answer, other than take drugs, *(my favorite).

So how do I talk myself into getting into better shape?

A new girlfriend might work? My wife thinks maybe that would work for her, she could be single again too...........

• mycowarrier likes this

#12 roadtripper

roadtripper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

I'd be pretty interesting. Trying to lose a little weight from all the Taco Bell I've been eating lately. That stuff goes to your gut really quick, gained 30lbs in a matter of a year. Right now I'm just running to try to start to get in shape. Started out 3 weeks ago and went from barely being able to run half a mile to now being able to complete a mile, although its still a little bit hard. I definitely would be interested in any thread on this topic that you'd start.

#13 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

I'm just posting this to see if there's any interest here in the community about learning how to get stronger, build muscle, and just getting fitter in general without the need for much money or a gym.

If there's some interest I'll go ahead and start a thread dedicated to this. I'll share everything I've learned since 2010 by reading books, doing internet research, and through my own personal trial and error.

I used to lift weights and, for a long time, I thought that was the only way men or women could get legitimately stronger, fitter, build strength and put on some muscle. Then I started to learn about calisthenics/bodyweight exercises where you use your own bodyweight with decreasing leverage to build strength and muscle.

I like calisthenics better because you don't need a gym membership (don't need to get caught up in shady contracts), don't need much equipment (the stuff you need is cheap or you can build it yourself), you can do it anywhere any time (home or parks outdoors) and you're always doing something new, different, and fun. With weights, all you do is the same old thing, all the time, just trying to add more weight. I don't know about YOU, but for ME that stuff sure got old at around 2 years into my training and I just couldn't be half-assed or bothered to do it anymore.

Not only that, but if you look at the most bad-ass military people (USA) like the Marines or the Navy SEALs, even THEY depend highly on calisthenics/bodyweight exercises. If it's good enough for those guys it sure as hell is probably good enough for me, too!

This is for people who want to put on some muscle, gain strength, and be healthy and happy. It is NOT for people who want to look like body builders or be the strongest dudes in a gym. This is about real-life practical strength, looking and feeling better, being healthy, being strong, and just being happier.

I was sort of planning on doing this on my own as a mini pet project anyway. I bet I'll do it soon either way, but if people have an interest I'd love to know so I know how much work I plan to put into it.

Basically I'll be linking to book recommendations (even posting the actual books for download to Topia), Youtube recommendations, and sharing links I feel are invaluable that I've bookmarked over the years. I'd also love to see this become a collaborative effort where all Topians can chime in to learn from and teach one another where all ideas are welcome.

Topians seem to like the idea of going against "the man" or "the system". I can easily see the fitness industry as "the man" or "the system" in a big way with selling expensive (usually bunk) fitness equipment, diets, supplements (usually bunk), and over-charging for gym memberships and locking you into nearly impossible-to-get-out-of contracts. I bet that Topians are also keen to the idea of self-reliance when it comes to keeping their own bodies healthy.

So please chime in and let me know what you think and what YOU would like to see out of a dedicated thread to fitness for free/practically no $.

Hell yeah I am!

#14 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

How so? Do WORK. Learn proper forms so you don't hurt yourself, be reasonable, but do WORK. If you eat enough protein and do enough work, you WILL get stronger.

I don't want to get into the politics of the Crossfit movement, but it's essentially based upon those two things: 1) Proper form, 2) Functional work.

If you can do things that you have fun doing and call it "work" then all is well and good. Mountain bike, road bike, rock climb, hike, swim, lift heavy things (like logs), throw heavy things (like logs); you don't have to go crazy, but the stronger you get the crazier things you'll be lifting - onlookers be like wha??!

If you don't have natural shit then go get a medicine ball, bricks, cinder blocks; stack them, throw them, lift them, twist with them... move. work.

Eat protein.

Do work.

Get strong.

I'll let you expand.

Above is my recipe. Below is the work. :)

attachicon.gifIMG_1415.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1385.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1384.JPG

Looks like some mighty fine work from here.  You wouldn't believe what i can accomplish on nothing but passion and desire!   ;)

#15 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

I like to mix in a little digging with a shovel, and moving the dirt around with a wheelbarrow, good outside fun.

Limited by weather, and having some ground that you can move.

Pilot here, then pilot there..........who said you need an airplane.

I think he know about the hole, it was intentional, pre posting for the BNM thread!!

We all play beautiful music, once we find our true instrument!  

#16 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

I'd be pretty interesting. Trying to lose a little weight from all the Taco Bell I've been eating lately. That stuff goes to your gut really quick, gained 30lbs in a matter of a year. Right now I'm just running to try to start to get in shape. Started out 3 weeks ago and went from barely being able to run half a mile to now being able to complete a mile, although its still a little bit hard. I definitely would be interested in any thread on this topic that you'd start.

As wouldv I, excellent post!

#17 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

Will be starting a new thread dedicated to the basics of calisthenics some time today. Hopefully people dig it and learn from it. Nothing beats being able to stay healthy and strong for free (or at least for very little money for building or buying equipment.)

• Zen_ likes this

#18 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,028 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

This is mostly all Green Ash. We do have some fallen Hickory and Apple as well. 

#19 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

^^ heh zen I own a similar workout machine. Sometimes I slack, but then it gets really cold in my house, so I get my ass out there and do a few sets of "chop the log or freeze to death".

Last year I moved 90 yards of dirt with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, that is six full dump trucks full of soil. It got me back in shape, but only for a month lol.

Today I am strapping on my tree climbing gear, and cutting a few trees, and 100% guarantee that tomorrow I will be so sore I will have a hard time moving because I don't do any climbing regularly anymore (thank god!).

Work!

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 21 April 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#20 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hard work, good rest, and decent nutrition will take you far.

Taking the time to exercise based on sound structure and balance (training the entire body in the basic planes of mobility against resistance) will help you to do even harder work and keep you even more healthy. If you like hard work in general though you probably don't need to change anything. The most important thing is that you use your body as it was intended to be used regularly!

"Fitness" can mean so many different things. There are gymnasts, people who love parkour, those who love long-distance running or sprinting, swimmers, people who play sports, body builders, power lifters, climbers, practitioners of many types of martial arts, combinations of this and everything in between, and all sorts of other stuff. There are so many ways to be "fit".

Unfortunately, in the Western world at least, people think of the body builders and think that's the sole way to be 'fit' and look good. That's a mistake.

What's important is finding what you enjoy and will stick with over time as CONSISTENCY over a long period of time is what will yield results.

Edited by niemandgeist, 21 April 2015 - 11:58 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!