Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Any interest in a "how to" guide to getting fitter, stronger for little or no $?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 .Radium.

.Radium.

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:19 AM

I can actively help in such a thread as well.

I'm an old-school physical culture enthusiast myself, and been training with my own bodyweight, barbells and dumbbells for 8 years.

And also, a HARDCORE FAN OF CONVICT CONDITIONING.

• niemandgeist likes this

#22 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:30 AM

I've tried a lot of stuff over the past 10 years ... built stone walls - I heat my house with firewood I cut and split (by hand) and stack .. log cabins, roadbeds, man-tractor ... all that shit, but no matter what, I always end up back in the weight room, picking up heavy objects and putting them down again without achieving any actual work.

Unfortunately, nothing hits all those muscle groups quite like hitting all of those muscle groups.

And Branch-Chain-Amino-Acids, bought in bulk online, really make the body do the most with that exercise.

I know it's not natural, and all that, but I don't want to eat 5 pounds of raw steak everytime I work out either ... 

Each to their own.  We were watching "The A Team" on netflix the other day - it's super funny to see how "BA Baracus" was thought of as a strong, intimidating muthafucka back in the day.  He wouldn't even be hired on as a bouncer at an Applebee's today ...

:)

soliver

#23 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

I did start a thread that I feel has a lot of good introductory information here:

https://mycotopia.ne...ext-to-nothing/

It's mainly about calisthenics/bodyweight exercises. I've also posted/attached a few PDF books there, too.

If people want to contribute anything else, even if it's about free weight/barbell/dumbbell training feel free to post there or to start your own thread.

If people want to just update/bump the thread I linked to with general fitness information maybe we can ask a mod to change the title to something more generic rather than calisthenics.

I've tried a lot of stuff over the past 10 years ... built stone walls - I heat my house with firewood I cut and split (by hand) and stack .. log cabins, roadbeds, man-tractor ... all that shit, but no matter what, I always end up back in the weight room, picking up heavy objects and putting them down again without achieving any actual work.

Unfortunately, nothing hits all those muscle groups quite like hitting all of those muscle groups.

And Branch-Chain-Amino-Acids, bought in bulk online, really make the body do the most with that exercise.

I know it's not natural, and all that, but I don't want to eat 5 pounds of raw steak everytime I work out either ... 

Each to their own.  We were watching "The A Team" on netflix the other day - it's super funny to see how "BA Baracus" was thought of as a strong, intimidating muthafucka back in the day.  He wouldn't even be hired on as a bouncer at an Applebee's today ...

soliver

Depending on which supplements you decide to take they aren't completely unnatural.

Casein or whey protein is basically just the protein from milk condensed and put into a powder that you can use to make shakes.

http://examine.com/s...ein Supplement/

Creatine can be found naturally in red meat and it's supposed to be good.

http://examine.com/s...ments/Creatine/

If you want to learn more about supplements and get the skinny run-down on which ones work and don't work as far as scientific evidence goes this is a great website:

http://www.examine.com

I've never signed up for their free course. Instead I use Google and search like this:

site:examine.com supplement keywords

I personally don't use any supplements. I just exercise to be healthy. I'm not trying to be a huge bodybuilder so I get most of my nutrition from whole foods. To my knowledge the two supplements that are best-studied and have been shown to work well are the two I mentioned earlier. I'd rather spend what little money I have on actual food. I also generally avoid supplements because the FDA doesn't have oversight on them. There have been news stories about supplements not containing what they say, sometimes containing stuff people may be allergic to, and even some protein powders containing less protein than advertised.

If you want/need to take a lot of protein though protein powder/shakes can really help you get it in. Easier to drink it than to eat another chicken breast or two.

Chopping wood is an amazing upper-body exercise. Moving bricks/stone around is also great for the upper-body. Then you've got chin ups/pull ups, push ups, and a bunch of other stuff I mentioned in the thread I linked to with even more information in the PDF books I linked from there.

Also, it's crazy to look back just to the 1950s through to the modern day to see how the supposed "ideal male physique" has changed so much. Even look at Arnold Schwarzenegger from his beginnings doing bodybuilding and compare that with today. It's SO different. Lots of the champs from back then would be considered tiny now. Seems like as those competitions keep going the guys have to do what they can to get monstrously huge just to win. I'm just happy if I am being healthy and have some muscle. Never wanted to get "huge".

These days I've been doing a combination of bodyweight stuff along with weights, and have mainly gone back to mostly weights since I have them on hand. There are so many ways to be fit. There's not necessarily one size fits all apart from making sure you're training your whole body and you're getting some kind of aerobic/cardiovascular exercise in there to keep your heart and lungs healthy, too.

• Soliver likes this

#24 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

I tried creatine for about a year.  It's really interesting stuff - I saw definite muscle gains, etc., but I'm not sure how it affects the body long-term.  It makes you crazy thirsty, which is OK, I guess, if you're not prone to quenching your thirst with a 12 pack of cheap domestic swill (I am).

soliver

#25 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Creatine will also kind of bloat you up, supposedly, so you'll be holding onto excess water weight. There are also rumors that it may cause hair loss or speed up hair loss. I've never personally looked into that as I don't choose to use creatine. The only other thing I know about it is that it will supposedly let you do more work when you work out, so you will be able to get more volume in. My hair is going and, although I'm cool with that (Can't fight it as there's no 100% sure way to stop it), I don't want to hasten it so I stay away from creatine.

As far as protein supplements... I have enough muscle on me that I am trying to 'cut' or lose excess weight. I don't need the extra protein or calories really as I eat a very high protein diet already.

Only other thing 'new' I'm doing really is jogging 3x a week or more for just a mile at a comfortable, but challenging pace. I've been doing a mile in around 11 to 12 minutes. If I go faster I feel miserable. So I just go at a pace I enjoy because I think I won't stick with something unless I find it enjoyable. I just started so I know I'll get faster naturally by sticking with it. No need to feel miserable while doing cardio I say. If I don't jog I just walk really fast.

With the sweltering humid summers here I'd rather jog and get it done faster than walk 17 to 20 minutes doing a mile.

Here's hoping that by the end of the month I can do 2 miles at a time. If not, hey, I'll keep doing what I can. Everybody is at different fitness levels. The only thing that matters is that you try to do more than you could do before and realize that changes take time.

Even if you're out there going slower than everyone else, even if you can't lift as much or do as much calisthenics as other people, you are still out there doing the work and that's what's most important.

Compare yourself to your earlier self and try to improve.... It's probably not good to compare yourself to other people, particularly if those other people are fitter than you are.

Drinking domestic swill is what's adding extra empty calories to my diet and I have to admit: I'm having trouble cutting down!

Edited by niemandgeist, 10 June 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#26 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

I have enough muscle on me that I am trying to 'cut' or lose excess weight. I don't need the extra protein or calories really as I eat a very high protein diet already...

So I just go at a pace I enjoy because I think I won't stick with something unless I find it enjoyable.

Drinking domestic swill is what's adding extra empty calories to my diet and I have to admit: I'm having trouble cutting down!

We're exercise doppelgangers!  I could have written this myself, although, to be honest, I'm not actually trying to 'cut down.'  I switched to light beer, which I've always railed against, but when you do the math, it's an easy sell ...

My biggest issue these days is my age - sometimes instead of getting stronger, I get hurt.  Whichever asshole coined the phrase "pain is weakness leaving your body" should be tortured for six months straight, then drawn & quartered by clowns riding ponies and singing "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" out of tune ...

It's a lot harder not going hard than I thought it would be - instead of 'feeling it' for a few days, I feel it for months in the form of apparent nerve damage, torn ligaments, other weird shit. ..  ah well. 

As my old man is fond of saying, "it beats the alternative - at least for now."  

soliver

#27 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

I'm in my early thirties so I need to take things a bit slower these days. I notice that I do hold onto fat more than I did when I was, say, even 5 years younger.

My drinking beer hasn't slowed me down when I jog, walk, or lift/workout, but I know beer is SO carbohydrate heavy and filled with EMPTY CALORIES.

That's the problem when you drink your calories... The body doesn't know how to process them because our bodies were designed to drink water which has no calories, which we NEED to survive.

Think about drinking soda... You can easily gulp down TONS of calories (and enough calories = excess fat that doesn't fill us up!), but when you EAT those solid calories it fills you up.

Ah well. I'm overweight by 20'ish pounds and when I calculated my BMI I'm "overweight" by just a bit, but even so...

It's something I have to work on!

I've been about the same weight for over a year now so I KNOW if I cut out the beer I'll thin up.

Thing is... I LIKE MY BEER! :(

Edited by niemandgeist, 10 June 2015 - 03:10 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#28 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,212 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

.... our bodies were designed to drink water which has no calories, which we NEED to survive...

Speak for yourself - I'm Irish.  When I drink a glass of water, my body says, "this beer is flat."

Soda is evil.  I average one 12 oz can every six months ... a single coke is like a 12 pack of brews - just not worth it.  When I dump empty carbs into my body, it's gonna be in the form of ethanol or very very dark chocolate ...

soliver

• mushfun and niemandgeist like this

#29 oneeye1

oneeye1

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 315 posts

Donator

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:56 AM

charles atlas was big intothis back in the day

#30 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,535 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

Get a job in construction, especially block laying. You'll be in shape in no time and get paid for it too. In the 1970s my father had a masonry company in the Tampa, FL area and a lot of the guys that worked for him went on to become professional wrestlers. It will either make you or break you.

Edited by dead_diver, 01 September 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#31 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

Worked construction setting forms and pouring concrete a couple years ago.
That is a fucking work out.
The forms we used weighed 100 lbs a piece 8ft by 3ft and had to be mauled into place basically.
Setting up hundreds a day to make foundation and walls of industrial style warehouses.

I try to do pushups everyday but I also take breaks for a couple weeks every once in a while.

Start off by doing wide pushups then gradually move your arms in until they are even side by side with your body when your doing pushups(military style).
I can do sets of 20 pushups all night if I do em half ass but I'm not about that.

The key is to do as many pushups in proper form slowly in as few sets as you can.
Try keeping your head up back straight and arms parallel to your body while doing pushups and I bet you can feel a difference.
Also switch it up do military pushups for a week then a week of wide push ups or decline pushups and then a week of diamond pushups.

I'm too skinny(6'2 150) to work out much, if I do I loose weight.
I end up having to eat 5 meals a day just to supply the calories for my workouts.

I need to buy whey protein is what my buddy that is a body builder said.
Once you burn up all the fats and calories in your body it starts burning off muscle mass supposedly.
Makes sense.

#32 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,535 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

I believe that the best all around exercise is swimming. It's low impact and works the entire body.

#33 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

I haven't posted much fitness stuff in a while now, but since I've posted a bunch in the past here I've come to realize that fitness can be very, very simple and fun, too.

What seems to matter the most are, based upon my own experiences over the last decade or so, as well as based upon what I've read/learned in this time:

• Hard work. Don't do what's easy. Once something is easy, try to make it harder somehow.
  • Get enough rest. Listen to your body. Know when to back off to heal so you become stronger for the next time.
  • Consistency over time. Just keep doing what you can, and make it count, even if it isn't a "full workout". All of those little somethings DO add up over time.
  • Be sure to eat a sensible, nutritious diet for the most part.
  • Ensure that your exercise routine is well-balanced (see the rest of what I've written below)

The other thing I now realize is that ANY fitness routine you stick to over time consistently WILL yield results. It doesn't have to be perfect or best.

The only thing everyone needs to ensure is that their fitness routine is well-balanced, but that's easy enough:

Make sure you include all of these:

• A vertical pull (chin ups/pull ups - weighted or unweighted of any sort)
  • A vertical push to balance out the vertical pull -- Can be parallel bar or ring dips and/or headstand/handstand push ups) *
  • A horizontal pull (Rows of some kind)
  • A horizontal push to balance out the horizontal pull (push ups, bench press)
  • An overhead press (dumbbells, barbells, bodyweight pike press or handstand/headstand push up progression.) *
  • 1 or 2 exercises for your legs/posterior chain (some type of deadlift movement or squat/lunge movement)

* Take note that many consider handstand or headstand push ups to be an "overhead press" as well as a "vertical push". I've always considered headstand/handstand push ups or a weighted dumbbell/barbell overhead press to be my overhead press, and my dips (parallel bars or rings, weighted or unweighted) to be my vertical push. This is kind of a moot point. You could just do one or both. I do both. Dips and headstand/handstand push ups or weighted military/overhead press (dumbbells or barbells) are somewhat similar, after all.

You don't have to believe me. You can read about this highly educated gymnastics coach person who wrote a book titled "Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength" at the following link:

http://www.eatmoveim...rbell-training/

If you want to go specifically where he talks about constructing a solid workout routine:

http://www.eatmoveim...l-training/#bw1

This is a good basic guideline.

I also strongly recommend that everyone do something for aerobic exercise/cardio. There are so many options for this, among them:

• Swimming
  • Jumping rope
  • Running, jogging, sprinting, power/speed walking, hiking
  • Step aerobics
  • Martial arts or circus arts (particularly training with weapons such as staves or doing baton twirling). Possibilities are kind of endless. Dancing is also great. Anything that makes you move around a lot, even if you stand mostly in one place. Juggling can also be great.

Fitness should be enjoyable. It should still be a challenge, but it should be something you want to do and look forward to doing for fun and for a challenge. There are SO MANY ways to be fit and strong and healthy. Explore and find what you enjoy!

Edited by niemandgeist, 02 September 2015 - 03:36 PM.

• morfin-56 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!