#1 RioP

RioP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

Hello.

The "States of Consciousness" Research Team at the John Hopkins University is carrying out an anonymus on-line survey you may be interested to take (or, at least, I was).

It's about your experience(s) in encountering something some of us may call an "ultimate reality", a "higher power" or simply "God", whilst on psychedelics.

There are some caveats:

1. you must have taken a "classic" entheogen, such as LSD, psilocybin, DMT, mescaline or similar. No weird research chemicals and no entactogens like MDMA.
  2. you must complete the on-line questionnaire in one go. You cannot close it and return to it later. And be aware that it's a 30 minutes long questionnaire.
  3. you cannot review your answers, so think about them well. Once you click the button at the end of a section of the survey to move to the next one, you cannot go back. However, at the end of the questionnaire, you can decide to dump the whole questionnaire and start over, if you like; or you can submit it, of course. :)
  4. I am not entirely sure about this last thing, but I believe you have time to take the survey untill Sunday, April 19th (included). But, I repeat, I might be wrong about this one.

I just took the anonymous survey and it's made of rather interesting multiple choice questions, plus a few open answers (with a limited number of characters).

Details can be found here:

http://flyer.psyched...gthedivine.org/

Edited by RioP, 10 April 2015 - 02:06 PM.

• Sidestreet, TastyBeverage, shiitakegrower and 1 other like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

I have a treasured videotape of what I believe was the first MAPS conference around the time of its founding in 1986.  The panels included Tim Leary, Ram Dass, Laura Huxley, Terence McKenna, Andy Weil, and many others.  It is about three hours of panels and some Q&A and interviews at the end.  There is a reading of a transcription of Aldus Huxley's last hours with Ram Dass reading Aldus' part and Laura reading her own.  The title on the tape is simply, MAPS.  I got a copy and it was not anything like a professional production.  I wanted to strangle the cameraman at times during the panels, as I think he had just recently discovered the zoom. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 April 2015 - 01:15 PM.

• Sidestreet, -=Zeus=-, TurkeyRanch and 2 others like this

#3 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

I have a treasured videotape of what I believe was the first MAPS conference around the time of its founding in 1986.  The panels included Tim Leary, Ram Dass, Laura Huxley, Terence McKenna, Andy Weil, and many others.  It is about three hours of panels and some Q&A and interviews at the end.  There is a reading of a transcription of Aldus Huxley's last hours with Ram Dass reading Aldus' part and Laura reading her own.  The title on the tape is simply, MAPS.  I got a copy and it was not anything like a professional production.  I wanted to strangle the cameraman at times during the panels, as I think he had just recently discovered the zoom. 

Logs, if you've got any way to copy that (Sure there are old VHS and BETA decks available on the cheap that can copy from one to another easily --- if that's the format) and send it to MAPS they could probably get that footage up online. Keep the original, but if you can try to copy it to get it "out there". Or maybe get a guy who has a digital camcorder to film the output from a tape deck when you play the original on a TV set. I bet that'll be even easier. It's freaking BETA or VHS from the late 80's... people will expect the audio and video to be sub-par anyway. Would be interesting to watch and spread around.

I've only had "contact with the divine" and entities while on them strange things so I don't qualify for the survey.

• Sidestreet, TurkeyRanch and RioP like this

#4 RioP

RioP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Look, niemandgeist,

I am not MAPS or anything, and I do not want this to sound like an ad for their survey, but I guess you can try page one of the survey and see if your weird substance qualifies. :-)

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

I was just thinking that the next time I play it I should recopy it, though it means another loss of quality. But the tape is so old it could fall apart at any time.  Tape doesn't last forever. 

The guy who gave this to me was the same person who passed that "shamanic dose" of cubes to me and didn't tell me until long after I did it that the person who handed it to him, describing it that way, was Terence McKenna (I've told that story here several times in various contexts).

There are McKenna parts on that tape that I have searched the internet for hours and come up blank.  The part where he describes the world as being a sinking submarine in an out of control power dive really gets to me, as I have been on that very submarine in real life.

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 April 2015 - 02:17 PM.

• niemandgeist likes this

#6 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Ya alder, you need to somehow make a digital copy, or take it to a shop that can do that for you, for the sake of preserving history.

And everyone, please take a few minuets to fill out the survey, supporting legitimate research like this is one of the most important things we can do as members of the psychedelic community.

Thanks for posting this RioP!
  • Sidestreet, RioP and happy4nic8r like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

Someone would have to come here with the digital equipment. 

I would gladly donate the copy data to Mycotopia. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 April 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#8 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:30 PM

Alder,

At this point, if the original is as old as you estimate/state... ANY VIABLE COPY would be amazing to preserve.

I guess it depends if it's VHS or Beta. Once we can establish which one that is then maybe people can volunteer suggestions on what to do... and with those suggestions you can personally e-mail MAPS and say "MAPS I got this (shibbity diggity blah blah) and it's on VHS/Beta how can I send this for future preservation/conversion to be shared on the internet?"

Just a thought.

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

there are video restoration vendors in most big cities or their suburbs. If you could find a trustworthy one it might be better to have this done yourself rather than trust the post office, MAPS, post office, and whoever MAPS would pay to preserve it. The less hands something fragile encounters the better.

My uncle just busted out his reel to reel tapes from the 70's and they're getting almost brittle enough to break and there's some funkiness in the fidelity. I'd guess the VHS is in only slightly better condition.

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

I wouldn't trust the PO to not run magnets around it. 

I'm out in the sticks and a long way from big cities.  If I could plug a VHS VCR's AV cables into a card in the computer and make a file, that should be all it would take, yes? 

#11 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,461 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

I used to have a VHS to cd recorder, if I can find it I'll give it to you Alder.

I haven't seen it for years, and got rid of all tape years ago. They were popular, like changing your 8 tracks to cassettes, then to cd's.

Nobody saves stuff that long any more, but I bet you could more easily play the VHS and upload to youtube. that seems to be a really strong format for large files transfer.

I was sort of lucky to lose everything in a fire in 2001. I never trusted anything to last after that. I truly feel like I am 14 years old now, like my life started AF, (after fire).

I still can't program my cell phone or tablet, but at least my parents let me have them.

survey needs to be filled out by anyone who has ever taken psychedelics, not just if you "think" you had a religious experience, and not just the standard psychedelics, they aren't going to verify.

My experience was when I was 18, half a century ago. I still remember like it was yesterday.

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

I'm still waiting to play that tape in a way to make it digital. 

One of the things on that tape is Ram Dass talking about a survey done years later of the subjects of the Good Friday Experiment where the Harvard boys  gave undergrads psilocybin.   That was the act that got them all fired.

• Heirloom and happy4nic8r like this

#13 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,461 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

Wife says that the photo developing places all make digital copies of tape, film, slides, anything you can play they have good equipment to play with.

It's cheap and you can always vet the pimply faced dork that handles your vhs in an unhealthy manner, and take it back and go on.

Since cameras with film became obsolete, they had to join in with the 2010's and provide something or lose their leases.

Costco has done slides for me, very cheap, very decent quality, onto dvd's and cheaper than you can do it yourself, unless your time is worth nothing and you have the equipment.

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

Maybe this"

http://www.wikihow.c...Digital-Formats

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

So, it looks like I just get one of them thingies that has RCA and S-video in and USB out.  I just installed some open source software that is supposed to do the number.  No computer stores close to me, so I guess I will have to find that piece of hardware somewhere.

#16 entheonaut

entheonaut

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

So is there any way to view stats from this survey? Has anyone analysed this data and reached any conclusions? Now that I've taken it, I'm interested to know what they've come up with thus far.

#17 RioP

RioP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Donator

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hello.

As far as I know, they haven't disclosed anything, also because they extended the deadline for taking the survey several times, already.

I am afraid they were hoping for a larger response.
  • Juthro likes this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

So, it looks like I just get one of them thingies that has RCA and S-video in and USB out.  I just installed some open source software that is supposed to do the number.  No computer stores close to me, so I guess I will have to find that piece of hardware somewhere.

I think this is what your looking for Alder.

http://www.amazon.co...s=video capture

#19 entheonaut

entheonaut

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

I am afraid they were hoping for a larger response. 

Psychedelics need to make a mass societal comeback. So many people all over the world could benefit.

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

I have at last located a two hour, shorter, edited, version of the 1990 MAPS conference: Psychedelics in the 1990’s: Plants & Native Cultures.  The producers of this video have a four VHS cassette version of what they call the complete conference for sale for $120.  I guess they aren't interested in going to DVD, as that would probably land it on YouTube pretty quickly.   As I said, my tape is a copy of a copy and not the greatest quality.   Hopefully the better version makes its way online eventually. I don't imagine their video cassettes are flying off the shelves at $120.

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!