10 replies to this topic

#1 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

It a few months off yet but I was wondering if any of you'll are going this year.

Too pricey for me at 390$ admission and parking costs to boot!

For those that are'nt familiar with the event This site gives all the info you should need Burning Man

Edited by mycowarrier, 14 April 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#2 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

If I ever make it out that way, HELL YES!    ;)

• mycowarrier likes this

#3 shiitakegrower

shiitakegrower

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 454 posts

Donator

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:50 AM

I have never been but have wanted to go for many years... maybe I need to find a similar event that is a little more approachable... 

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

maybe I need to find a similar event that is a little more approachable...

Regional Burning Man events:

http://regionals.bur...man.org/events/

#5 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

when they stop asking for an arm and a leg for admission, is when I might consider going......

#6 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

Yea i agree. In 2014 they charged 380$ and 66,000 showed up! Is my math right? 25,000,000$

hell of a take that year! They got greedy IMOI

It was free for the first 4 years. then went to 30$. and up from there.

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

The regionals are still cheap afaik... actually I only peeked at one but it was under 100.

#8 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Yea i agree. In 2014 they charged 380$ and 66,000 showed up! Is my math right? 25,000,000$
hell of a take that year! They got greedy IMOI

It was free for the first 4 years. then went to 30$. and up from there.

The BLM Special Use Permit costs about 10 million dollars now, they raise it yearly. If anyone is getting greedy, it's Uncle Sam.

From Burning Man Org, referencing 2013:

On that note, we’d like to shed some light on what it costs us to build this incredible city every year. The Black Rock Desert is public land, but we don’t get to use it for free. It also takes a lot of equipment and hours of labor to put things together out there. The following are just a few highlights of costs we incurred in 2013:

The space we use is managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and our 2013 fees to them totaled $4,522,952.
Our 2013 cost for Rental Equipment (heavy machinery, portable buildings, staff radio gear, cars and trucks) came to $1,166,307.
Port-o-potties are crucial for our fair city and those related costs alone racked up to $970,836.
To offset the impact that our temporary population has on emergency services in the local area, we pay $301,660 to local agencies such as county law enforcement, Paiute Nation, and Nevada Highway Patrol.
We still take care of our own though, and our on-playa medical services costs came to $455,024.
Getting tickets printed and shipped is also a nice chunk of change, coming in at $479,741 last year.
Building our iconic center piece, The Man, isn’t cheap either. Last year we spent $407,055 to bring it to life and share the ritual of burning it down.
The other “Man” — the government — likes his cut as well and we paid $1,021,851 last year in taxes and other licensing fees.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 25 April 2015 - 09:44 AM.

• Sidestreet and TastyBeverage like this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,830 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

What if they build a FEMA camp there and just lock the gates once you're all in there?

#10 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

I used to do a yearly Bman thread on here, think my last one was for 2010. Some good pics, if you go looking for them. And i don't say that just cause i'm nekkid.  :cool:

Edit: Found it.

https://mycotopia.ne...aya#entry675798

Edited by TastyBeverage, 25 April 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#11 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:51 AM

Paying that much money, and then having to transport yourself way out there (Which is basically on the other side of the country for me), having to pay for and bring all of your own food/water/gear, to sit through dust storms and extremely hot weather.... eh. Not for me. Besides that it wouldn't be good for me to go anyway because my medications make me way, way more prone to heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

I'd love to be able to go to see all of the cool art, but it doesn't look like it'll ever happen. Fortunately there are some kind people out there who go to the burn with very high quality video cameras to put the footage up online for people like me.

If I were to go to a burn I'd do one of those more local mini burns.

Maybe I'll build a toothpick wooden man and burn him outside in the back yard. We can make it a communal Mycotopian cheapass burn.

First Mycotopian Cheapass Burn! Build your own wooden man, bring your own drugs, and burn him on the privacy of your own property!

Edited by niemandgeist, 26 April 2015 - 05:53 AM.

• Phineas_Carmichael likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!