14 replies to this topic

#1 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

Anyone know what this is, and how to kill it?

I found them in the root clusters of some bean starts I was transplanting just now. Any experience? It is about two millimeters long, maybe 1.5. They were right up against the stem amongst the roots.

image.jpg

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,853 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

It may be a young cutworm, but is a grub. The feed on roots and are a pest problem. You can use milkyspore or nematodes as natural control, but results are long term. For a quick fix, you can make your own non toxic grub killer.

According to the Home and Environment Resource Center, you can make an alternative grub control mixture with 1 cup each of mouthwash, liquid dish soap and water. Add 2 cups of lemon juice and pour the mixture into a spray bottle then spritz it all over your yard to deter grubs. To increase the potency of this treatment, pour 1 cup of boiling water over a teaspoon of chewing tobacco. Strain the mixture and add it to the mouthwash solution before spraying it over your lawn. The nicotine in chewing tobacco is highly effective as an insecticide.

I have also used a combination of dish soap, water , and ciggy butts and deep soaked the area with good results.

Edited by Skywatcher, 17 April 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#3 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thanks sky, I appreciate the response. I will be doing a soil drench tonight for all the starts, prolly tobacco, neem, comfrey leaf and horsetail tea, some soap, and maybe a splash of mouthwash, although that seems like something to use sparingly.

I will probably end up getting a package of nematodes too, possibly some milky spore. I can't lose my garden before I plant it!
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

I've had really good luck with nicotene from butts in water. It was all I had at once upon a time-ville and was totally amazed how well it worked on numerous pests.

Now I would have a hard time finding a butt, (with both hands), but I would buy a pack of cigarettes before spending money on any commercial pesticide.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,853 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

I figured you might prefer a more "natural control" than picking from the off the shelf available eco poisons................

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#6 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

Yep, I can't sell food with a sign that says "organically grown" if I use nasty poisons. . .

I guess I technically could, but that isn't nice.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 17 April 2015 - 04:02 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Milky spore has worked for me in the past, back when I was a lower 48'er. It also helps keep moles away from your garden by eliminating their food supply.
  • TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#8 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

I am going to order some milky spore, and inoculate my compost pile, along with all my starts.

Did a soil drench of a handful each of fresh horsetail shoots and comfrey leaves pulverized in a blender and strained in a sock, two oz of neem oil, a capful (prob an oz) of mouthwash, a pinch of chewing tobacco, and 2 T of Dr. Bronners soap. Made two gallons of solution, used half tonight and am waiting to see if the plants take it ok. If they do, the day after tomorrow I will put the other gallon on.
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:57 PM

Make a list, that's an awful lot of ingredients, maybe a patent is in order if it really works good!!!

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

Let us know how it works for you TR. Back before I was a better man I have used "Seven" (methyl isocyanate, or MIC) in a soil drench for quick results. We all know that it works, you just have to look back to Bhopal India to see that. I would not advise using it today, to toxic for my current tastes. And it certainly can not be called organic with a straight face or a clear conscious.

I personally have never used tobacco for the nicotine, but I have heard good things about its effectiveness from people I trust. Though you might want to not use it around your tomato crop (if you are growing one), due to the chance for tobacco mosaic virus.

#11 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

beneficial Nematodes and Predatory Wasps will take care of about 90% of your bug problems.  

All the bugs that can handle the Neem/Soap/Garlic/Hot Pepper sprayer... cant handle PREDATORS!!! lol 

If nights are a steady 55-60'F  You can apply both NOW, id HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOTH OF THEM. 

I used them together first time last year, I will be using them EVERY SINGLE YEAR for the rest of my life.

After seeing how effective they BOTH where when applied together, I even went ahead and started

doing some research on beneficial insects.  I have ZERO SLUGS, ZERO CUT WORMS,  The two most

destructive bugs IMO...

Being a gardener, this is  VERY VERY prolific industry to get into... Biological Pest Control.

So i went ahead and ordered this book.

I know its expensive... but noone ever said Knowledge was "FREE" or "CHEAP" .... Most books I buy now

are well over $100 a piece... BUT even If i bought al of them at once... its around 10-15k but thats still

a HELLUVA lot cheaper then going to college lol...:P 

http://www.amazon.co...icial organisms

Pretty nifty :) 

predatory Wasps...  They are AIR PATROL (scatter the egg cards evenly around your garden protected from rain)

Beneficial nematodes, They are GROUND PATROL. (apply via Sprayer or backpack sprayer)

^^^WIN WIN ^^^

Side note.

If you wanna help bring in NATURAL predators.

Look up how to attract and what kind of habitat predatory insects like and designate a section of your garden as

a Predatory hang out :)

Dill

Cilantro  

and anything with TINY MICRO flowers will attract the Predatory wasps.

I forgot off top of my head, but look up what Lightening bugs like,   They lay their eggs on the backs

of slugs and then the hatching larvea will eat the slug host.   :D

maybe a patent is in order if it really works good!!!

Thats a horrible thing to suggest.... How abot just spread what works and receive all the GREAT energy youll

get in return from everyone being so grateful that you shared such a successful recipe...

Patents are for capitilists opportunists.

Natural gardening will cure all issues.

Look up the Chicago Botanical Garden...

I believe its the biggest Botanical Garden in the USA, 300 some acres, 

It has ZERO Pest management system.

ZERO Weed Management

ZERO Pathogen management.

^^^^ Says something ;)  lol

Balance is KEY,  pest bugs is how Mother Nature TALKS,  she is saying your stuff is out of

balance ;)  

Just saying, not trying to be a dick... but most people know me well enough :-P

Milky Spore

^^^  is only affective against JAPANESE BEETLE GRUBS, and NOTHING ELSE.   

Edit-  Im sorry, I was mistaken, I mess up shit a lot but I tend to go back and check resources,

as I did here, Milky Spore is affective against a few other insects besides Jap Bettles. 

^^ Why everyone must do their own research and check what others say, mistakes are common ;) 

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 10 May 2015 - 01:15 PM.

• Mycomaniac2007 and Skywatcher like this

#12 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

I am going to order some milky spore, and inoculate my compost pile, along with all my starts.

Did a soil drench of a handful each of fresh horsetail shoots and comfrey leaves pulverized in a blender and strained in a sock, two oz of neem oil, a capful (prob an oz) of mouthwash, a pinch of chewing tobacco, and 2 T of Dr. Bronners soap. Made two gallons of solution, used half tonight and am waiting to see if the plants take it ok. If they do, the day after tomorrow I will put the other gallon on.

This looks great right here.

Only thing id change PERSONALLY, just talking here remmeber... not trying to tell you what to do.. you can make up your own mind brother ;)

Id ditch the mouth wash... alcohol isnt helping anything and IMO... its just breaking down the NEEM OIL and SOAP to far

The predatory wasps and nemetodes are AFFECTIVE QUICKLY...

Some say they are LONG TERM control... but that is not my experience,  ive used nematodes for a number of years, 3 now i believe.

After application VIA WATER, DONT JUST SPREAD THE VERM THEY COME IN, dilute them in water and spray, I noticed a decline

in pest bugs and a lot of DEAD BUGs within a week....

Thats pretty quick if you ask me...

you want QUICK RESULTS.... just stick with a NEEM SOAK with some Potassium Silicate to emulse the oil then add

a few drops of Bronners, add to 1 gallon and soak soil.   Youll have great results,  DONT REPEAT 2 equal drenches in a row,

change up your main ingredient, NEEM in this case, with something like Basil or Cilantro,  then do another drench few days

later with Comfrey and Horsetail.    

Drenches and sprays, IMO, should be a weekly treatment, for preventative purposes and increased vigor and overall health of the plants. 

Per Gallon(this is a heavy application rate IMO/E, i use 1/2 this strongth without issues, so you can be conservative)

2tbsp Neem(1 oz)  http://www.amazon.co...em Oil Dyna Gro

2tsp Potassium Silicate  http://www.amazon.co...DynaGro Protekt

1/2 tsp of Bronners

EDIT_

Last note...

TR... did you WITNESS the larve/worms eating the roots???  

I only ask because, I have plenty of root eaters in my indoor pots and they are just part of the biodiversity and aid

in soil decomposition and aeration.

Once stuff gets in line and balanced with the "soil food web"  any plants grown in the soil should grow to fast

and to healthy to be effected by ANY PEST BUG.. literally...

^^True Statement lol

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 10 May 2015 - 10:08 AM.

• Mycomaniac2007 likes this

#13 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

These were baby starts in 2 inch cubes, and ya, I noticed damaged root structure around the grub. They might not be a problem as they get established, but as babies they seemed vulnerable.

Thanks for the advice on the mouthwash, it was an experiment. As for it effecting the neem, I would think it would allow for better miscibility and not damage the structure (I could be totally wrong thou) but it would indeed somewhat counteract the surfactant properties of the soap.

About to neem drench again, will probably add horsetail and mint too.

#14 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

These were baby starts in 2 inch cubes, and ya, I noticed damaged root structure around the grub. They might not be a problem as they get established, but as babies they seemed vulnerable.

Thanks for the advice on the mouthwash, it was an experiment. As for it effecting the neem, I would think it would allow for better miscibility and not damage the structure (I could be totally wrong thou) but it would indeed somewhat counteract the surfactant properties of the soap.

About to neem drench again, will probably add horsetail and mint too.

No problem man, I was just merely joining the conversation.   I dont know any science behind the alcohol affecting the oil either...

just alcohol and microbes dont go hand in hand at all lol well besides yeast of course... but yea lol   exceptions :)

during a quick lil read on oil and alcohol I found a cool short video  :)

[Direct Link]

Mint, Basil and Cilantro are GREAT herbs to use to blend up and add to a soil drench :)  

I just blended up about a cup of fresh comfrey and mixed it with 5 gallons of water to give to my plants.

#15 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

Very cool vid.

I wanted to soil drench a feed/neem mix today, but it's raining. Boo!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!