Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

I love listening to whole albums, anybody else?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Today's music culture seems geared to the single. 99 cents on iTunes, why buy the whole album if you only like one or two songs?

I'll tell you why. Because the artist(s) released an album, not a single. A lot of thought goes into which tracks go on an album and even which order they go in. These musicians want us to listen to their whole album, not just the single that gets all the radio play.

Some of my favorites:

Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion
http://www.youtube.c...03DF298209C24CC
Saccharine sweet bubblegum pop out of Britain, people either love this album or loathe it. A guilty pleasure for me certainly, I'll dance like nobody is watching, as long as nobody is watching...

Air - Talkie Walkie
http://www.youtube.c...C00C085F22EC818
This is an album for sexy-time. French duo Air delivers an album with delicious pacing that gets more exciting track by track, just like good sexy-time. ;)

Rush - 2112
http://www.youtube.c...WmAAprHwcxAJl8T
Love me some concept albums, and Canadian rock band Rush does it better than most. In a post-apocalyptic future where music is outlawed by the religious totalitarian state a man finds an old guitar in a cave, figures out how to play it, & is blown away. When he shows the Priests his discovery Bad Stuff happens.

Dream Theater - Metropolis: Part 2

[Direct Link]

Prog-rock at its finest as only America's Dream Theater can do. This is another concept album featuring past life regression, epic tech-metal riffs, and a twist ending that would make M. Night Shamalamadingdong jealous.

Please give me your favorite albums Topia. I'm not the only one who can commit to 40-80 minutes of music at once, am I?

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 18 April 2015 - 01:27 AM.
Caveman Stylings

• -=Zeus=- and Stoned Angel like this

#2 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

I like listening to whole live shows. It's almost the only thing I listen too, actually. A complete show is like a whole new album in a way, especially with a Grateful Dead music, and it's surrounding bands. The question for us deadheads isn't 'can you commit to 45 min', it's more like 'can you dance for 2 hours 45 min?'

Here is a good one: Grateful Dead @ the Auditorium Theater, Chicago 5/13/1977
https://archive.org/...9393.sbeok.shnf

I listened to this show today, while transplanting veggies. Good stuff.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 18 April 2015 - 01:37 AM.

• coorsmikey, -=Zeus=-, Phineas_Carmichael and 1 other like this

#3 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:08 AM

Another excellent thread by Mr. Phineas Carmichael! Phin, one of my favorite albums of all time, is the example you gave of Rush - 2112. I was a teenager when it came out on album originally lol. It would be fair to say that favorites like this one are timeless, because the music is just as important and true as it was the day it was penned. I come from the era BEFORE even 8-track tapes. Buying an album used to be a wonderful adventure in picking one up, then learning it and learning to love and apply it into my life. I could write for pages and pages about just that one thing! lol I doubt that this old dawg will ever change, Thank God! Phin, I'm jamming on your American Dream Theatre link above. I LOVE IT and it seems like I've heard it all before.

Okay, I'm getting all fired up but I'll just leave you with one most here have never heard of. I personally know the guys (Tim and Adrian) that are responsible for the creation and play of a band called Citadel Besieged. It is hard metal rock band who wrote and performed it some 20-odd years ago, and continues to this day. These guys could really use everyone's help, they truly, truly are original and genuine. I'd bet my life on it, and have ;)

Topia, help these guys out if you can, my recent struggles have even affected them, and it's killing me. They have a lot of links where there music can be listened to for free, or downloaded for a little of nothing. It is all original. Their most recent offerring is called Barnabas Collins... Their first 2 were The Winter of Evermore, and Creation Damnation.

Check out Barnabas Collins at Reverbnation - http://www.reverbnat...citadelbesieged

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

https://www.facebook...137510439658345

http://www.jango.com...el Besieged?l=0

10401434_678233848919332_775632279299579

Give it up for the TrueBloodz!

Edited by MezzMezzrow, 18 April 2015 - 03:54 AM.

• Mycomaniac2007 likes this

#4 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:32 AM

[Direct Link]

• Mycomaniac2007 likes this

#5 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

I like listening to whole live shows.

I knew one of you deadheads would show up & mention live shows. I agree, every live show is like a new album.

That Chicago 1977 show is a good one for sure. It's one of Bev's favorites too IIRC, no?

Phin, I'm jamming on your American Dream Theatre link above. I LOVE IT and it seems like I've heard it all before.

If you liked that one try this:

[Direct Link]

This is Dream Theater's iconic epic. I've seen them live several times & they always play this one as their encore. The crowd absolutely loses their collective shit when Petrucci hits that opening guitar riff. The rest of the album is just cover songs, but I can't find the whole thing on the YouTubes. :(

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 18 April 2015 - 08:37 AM.

• TastyBeverage likes this

#6 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• Expired Member
  • 1,974 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

I like listening to whole live shows. It's almost the only thing I listen too, actually. A complete show is like a whole new album in a way, especially with a Grateful Dead music, and it's surrounding bands. The question for us deadheads isn't 'can you commit to 45 min', it's more like 'can you dance for 2 hours 45 min?'

SS and I always listen to the live shows you post on instagram (what the frig!? That is networking does to a brain) I mean What music are you listening to?

I hear you guys. Honestly I Love it all! Albums, mix's, LIVE for sure. Ah, when the sun is setting, and the sky turns all the beautiful pinks. Stars start to sparkles as night grows in with the sounds, and the people. In the soup. 

I do listen to way less albums as the years have gone by since ol' harmony house has left the stage. Hadn't even givin' it much thought. Flash in the pants mixed tapes use to be my favorite. But yeah, now it is all mix's. I'm gonna take you up on it and listen to the whole damn album.

lmfao the first whole album I go to post I can't find as a album

Soul fly- primitive is the one

not prophecy, which is all good...but definitely primitive

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#7 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

About the Grateful Dead, I've never been to a Dead show although I'm a member of the family of all true deadheads.  With a quick search I find that I can see them at Soldier Field around the 4th of July.  Talk about a procrastinator!  LOL   If I can't get a way to that, there is also a special live show that was made in 1989, never before seen, that is coming to theatres in select areas on May 4th!  "Grateful Dead Meet-Up at the Movies: Alpine Valley 7/19/89" will only be playing on the silver screen for one night! Come out and connect with Dead Heads in your neighborhood on Monday, May 4th at 7:00pm local time.  Also, when you attend that on May 4th, you get a chance for tickets to see this.....  http://www.fathomeve.../fare-thee-well  Can a get a hell yeah out there!?!?    

Love and Respect...Mezz

• TurkeyRanch and Trippy_Toes like this

#8 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

Friends bust my balls cause ill listen to same album 3 times in a row
  • MycoDani and -=Zeus=- like this

#9 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

You will be hard-pressed to find anything from the boys (and Donna) in '77 that wasn't outstanding.  That whole May run is particularly fantastic, with 5-7 and 5-8 being 2 of my favorites.

I am particularly fond of shows from 1976 as well.

As far as albums, yes, I love listening to whole albums!  That practice has been damned near lost in today personalized, digital musical experience.  I am guilty of it as well.

At least you are keeping the faith, Phin.

• TurkeyRanch and Phineas_Carmichael like this

#10 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

It's one of Bev's favorites too IIRC, no?

I just can't get enough. My earplugs are named 'Jerry' and 'Donna'. No joke.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Pink Floyd? Kings of the concept album. I could listen to Animals and Atom Heart Mother all day long.

• -=Zeus=- and Skywatcher like this

#11 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:31 PM

You will be hard-pressed to find anything from the boys (and Donna) in '77 that wasn't outstanding. That whole May run is particularly fantastic, with 5-7 and 5-8 being 2 of my favorites.

I am particularly fond of shows from 1976 as well.

As far as albums, yes, I love listening to whole albums! That practice has been damned near lost in today personalized, digital musical experience. I am guilty of it as well.

At least you are keeping the faith, Phin.

76-81, great years. Funny you mention that May 77 run, I listened to the 5/8 show today, actually have it playing for the second time at this very moment . . . I have that whole run downloaded on my ipad. I have been listening to those shows over and over a lot lately. SuperMusic for the soul.

I wasn't born yet, but my mom made it to some of that May 77 run. :smile:

Like Bev mentioned, Floyd certainly did a good job of making an album comprehensive. Another favorite for me to listen start to finish album wise is anything by Tool. They are pretty out there.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 19 April 2015 - 12:06 AM.

• -=Zeus=- likes this

#12 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

I just can't get enough. My earplugs are named 'Jerry' and 'Donna'. No joke.

Does the Donna earplug occasionally screech jarringly at just the wrong moment?

I can't help but laugh when I see someone in a "Shut up, Donna!" T shirt.

post-114713-0-55978000-1429418252.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 18 April 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#13 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:25 AM

No, just blissful silence. That sounds like a pleasant concert going experience, though.   :thumbs_up:

Can't mention concept albums without 'Tommy'

I suck at pinball. *cries*

• -=Zeus=- likes this

#14 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Come on now, throw my homeboys some damn likez!  LOL

Edited by MezzMezzrow, 19 April 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#15 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

http://www.reverbnat...citadelbesieged

Edited by MezzMezzrow, 19 April 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#16 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

[Direct Link]

#17 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

[Direct Link]

#18 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

[Direct Link]

Edited by MezzMezzrow, 19 April 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#19 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

Friends bust my balls cause ill listen to same album 3 times in a row

I've been known to get stuck on an album for months!

• invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#20 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

This one brings back old memories, and new insights!

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!