• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

It's really annoying that i can't edit that list.

I keep telling you, it's a Taiwanese green target tomato!

***OCD*SPASM****

• wildedibles, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#42 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

***OCD*SPASM****

Forgive him, for he knows not what he does.   :meditate:

And in all fairness, you should know by now he is not trainable. :hug: :wub:

Lots of love to you both, :biggrin:

• TastyBeverage, Coopdog and wildedibles like this

#43 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:05 PM

***OCD*SPASM****

Perhaps Bev, but will you really care what you call it months from now when that sweet tomato juice fills your tastebuds with pleasure, and you have all the effort going into this garden now to thank for that tasty treat?

I love fresh tomatoes myself. I plant red ones...........................................

• TurkeyRanch, Stoned Angel and wildedibles like this

#44 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

Wow an awesome garden thread! That sounds like quite a brew you mixed up for them! Way cool bro and I am impressed with the effort involved. Juthro you are right, he is untrainable, but well oriented so that makes up for the madness! (Love the madness lol) Keep up the good work bro!

Edited by Coopdog, 27 April 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

It ok though, I love TR just the way he is, and I wouldn't want him any other way. He fills his place in this universe perfectly, even if it is not always 100% harmoniously.

Love you brother, and you are rocking the growing world.

Peace to both you and Bev, my lower 48 farming heroes. We try hard up here to help augment our consumption, but our season and environment makes that awful hard. We will never have a farm that can supply the masses, and I have to be a little jealous when I see you making such good use of all that sunshine. But only a little, I love you both, and I am very impressed by your efforts and results.

I'll let you be jealous back when I post how many salmon we catch this season, lol. :)

Peace and love from the cold north,
Juth
  • Coopdog, TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#46 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

Mmm salmon! I will edit that tomato for Bev so she doesn't have a seizure, can't have that.

Started some lactobacillus culture today. I used water from our grain ferment that we feed the birds, it should work just like a rice water solution. Added about a cup of liquid from the bird ferment to a half gallon of milk, now I have to wait a few days for the bacteria to multiply and the sebum to separate from the milk solids.

Poultry ferment
image.jpg

Lactobacillus containing grain water
image.jpg

Milk and culture mixed.
image.jpg

Went into the big city today, and bought my soil amendments for the year.
100 lbs of crustacean meal
100 lbs of alfalfa meal
100 lbs of neem seed meal
50 lbs of fish bone meal
60 lbs of bone meal
50 lbs dolamite lime
50 lbs of ag lime
50 lbs of granite dust
post-114713-0-98843200-1430190995.jpg

Time to make soil, I am spending the next two days with big trucks and a loader to get compost and soil conditioner. The loader is only at the pickup site, it's up to Turkey and a shovel to unload.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 27 April 2015 - 10:46 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#47 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

***OCD*SPASM****

Gotcha! She keeps me in line. . . Sorta. It's a wavy line.

post-114713-0-62011900-1430237789.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 28 April 2015 - 11:17 AM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#48 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:33 AM

Watch using too much bone meal, as it takes a long time to break down and can make your soil way off kilter until it does. I used to use a little of that when I was growing pot but had to learn to moderate it or you could taste it in the end product to bad effect. I know you know what you are doing just thought I would throw that out there. Not sure how it would effect a veggie garden, but I know what it does to my pot :)

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#49 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

Try the turkey tails yet?

I lust after that salmon and cheese! I am gonna try smoking some cheese myself this year, yours was outstanding. We live on a river with a salmon run but it is drastically reduced from drought and bad water use policy, plus I am a shitty fisherman. I have excess of "X", and you have excess of "Y", so it will all work out. With trades everyone wins. I hate buying stuff.

I ran some of the turkey tails through my food processer, and I ended up with hamster bedding, lol. But I capsulized it up and have been trying to remember to take a couple every morning with my coffee. As far as smoking cheese, it is the easiest simplest thing in the world. I just start with good cheese, I prefer Tillamook, I give it two hours of cold smoke and then package it for ageing, that's it. It tastes much better after ageing at least a month, the waiting is the hardest part. That's the part I'm at now, but it's getting close, and I have some ear marked for you and Bev. It only gets better with age.

I think you might have to do yours at night, or possibly add some frozen water bottles to the smoking chamber to keep the temps low enough so the cheese does not melt. Other than that, there are no real tricks to it.

And for the record, Ms. Juthro is the fisherman(woman) of this family. I spend more time netting for her then I do with my own line in the water, lol. But it's kind of like trading, it makes a good symbiotic relationship.

Here is a pic of the last batch I did up for friends and family in the lower 48, it was a good sized order. I trade it to them for all kinds of commodities from the lower 48 that we cant find here, or that are outrageously priced here. It works out well for everybody.
cheese.jpg
  • TurkeyRanch and wildedibles like this

#50 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

TR..

This is something for me to strive for brother.

Truely INSPIRING!!!

I myself LOVE THE BIRDS TOO :) 

I wanna plan a "field zone" in my garden and get some quail or phasants lol

Their eggs go for a decent penny too, but not as much as some goose/LARGE duck eggs. 

$3-5 an egg isnt no lie lol  Asian markets EAT UM UP!!!

Im having a beer for you tonight TR :) 

Cheers.

LnL

• Coopdog, TurkeyRanch, Stoned Angel and 1 other like this

#51 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

Watch using too much bone meal, as it takes a long time to break down and can make your soil way off kilter until it does. I used to use a little of that when I was growing pot but had to learn to moderate it or you could taste it in the end product to bad effect. I know you know what you are doing just thought I would throw that out there. Not sure how it would effect a veggie garden, but I know what it does to my pot :)

Thanks for the tip, this is my first time using bone meal. Last year i used alfalfa, crab, neem, and rock dusts. Expanding my soil recipe, because I can afford the outrageous cost better this year. Not that bone meal is particularly expensive, but adding $100 on top of an already rediculous bill wasn't going to happen last year. I am reading tons of soil recipes, and I think I will be going pretty light on the bone meal. I will probably only use half, and the rest will get fed to my emu compost piles to make them even more awesome.

Juthro (autocorrect always wants your name to be jut hero) - thanks for the tips on the cheese, it will be too hot soon, I should get on it, after I finish all the spring garden setup. I have never cold smoked anything, so I will probably have to experiment a bit. I have an electric heating element that should work well, and I can use my hot smoker as a box. I have been looking online at different setups, I might even just make a temporary smoker out of cardboard.

Alpha- thanks man, I love your pest thread, I think we use a lot of the same methods. Build good soil, feed the microherd and mycelium, and it basically takes care of itself. I like using the system nature designed, it's harder to fuck that up, while using conventional fertilizers is tricky. Plus I yield way better than my conventional friends do, spend way less on stuff from stores, and my product is of superior quality. All it requires is a commitment to educating yourself a bunch, there aren't instructions on my homemade lactobacillus culture, or my bags of guano.

Selling eggs is great, but we end up giving a lot away too, to neighbors and stuff. You should see our duck eggs, they certainly don't fit in the jumbo chicken egg cartons, they won't close heh. I think we will sell the duck eggs for 4-5 bucks a dozen, but right now is nesting season, so they aren't really producing that much, half the females are sitting on nests and not laying.

Quail sound cool, but I have been discouraged by their need for a complete enclosure. Someday probably I will get some quail, not this year though, the bird count is climbing past 150 again, quickly. Must sell some soon.

I will join ya for that beer! **clinks cider bottle against the ipad** Cheers!

I spent all day hauling the free horse compost I found, total score. People up here charge about 50-60 dollars a yard for good compost, I just saved myself a few grand. Tomorrow I get another few loads, and some soil conditioner too (composted bark). Then a rest day (maybe). After that it's time to spread it, mix the amendments and till it in, and then it's planting time.

Man, I am not a kid anymore, I feel like hammered shit (pun intended) from all the shoveling. When I was young, I could sit on my ass and drink beer all winter, and jump right back into physical work. Not so much anymore. . .

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 28 April 2015 - 09:08 PM.

• Il19z8rn4li1, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#52 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

lol all I have planted is potatoes, poppies and some unlabeled seeds I got with my last order of Kratom. Looking forward to seeing whatever pops up from those though as they came from World Seed Supply, and could be anything. In maybe another two weeks I will be comfortable getting some more stuff in the ground.

Edited by Coopdog, 29 April 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#53 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

Alpha- thanks man, I love your pest thread, I think we use a lot of the same methods. Build good soil, feed the microherd and mycelium, and it basically takes care of itself. I like using the system nature designed, it's harder to fuck that up, while using conventional fertilizers is tricky. Plus I yield way better than my conventional friends do, spend way less on stuff from stores, and my product is of superior quality. All it requires is a commitment to educating yourself a bunch, there aren't instructions on my homemade lactobacillus culture, or my bags of guano.

This is the key guys and teaching people how to do it instead of using pre packaged ferts that are should we say not totally natural

• TurkeyRanch, Il19z8rn4li1 and Skywatcher like this

#54 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:51 AM

Yep totally wild, and I learned it all online, from people like you . . .

Lactobacillus coming along nicely!
post-114713-0-58503800-1430372689.jpg

I got this on the recommendation of a very smart guy, it's a mycorrhizal and bacterial inoculate sprayed onto the following meals: fish bone, fish, shrimp, crab, alfalfa, kelp and basalt. He says it's awesome, so why not. This in addition to my other amendments, the lactobacillus, and compost teas should do the trick.

post-114713-0-11624900-1430372774.jpg
image.jpg

My second compost pile hit 150 F at about day two, and has been holding strong at 145-150 since, as soon as it drops I will turn it. I want to see what the inside looks like sooooo bad, I can barely wait.

I successfully got all my soil conditioner and compost over the last two days, as well as about 6 yards of crushed red volcanic rock to use as drainage. I plan on using a lot of the red rock for my cacti mix. I am feeling like someone beat me with a golf club all around my upper body, my shoveling muscles were grossly out of shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 30 April 2015 - 12:58 AM.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#55 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:45 AM

I hear ya my neck and shoulders are very sore I have to make sure I do not over do it .....I love alive nutrients they are the best :) My garden has mushrooms growing in it every year ....dirt that is alive is much better :)

I add poop and compost into my garden first thing in the spring ....then the next feed is fermented fertilizer I add comfrey for strong stems :) and dandelions for lots of nutes and cabbage for the lacto stuff you are talking about :) ....I could learn more about the lactobacillus tho.....and well my compost I think I need more green to get my tempratures up there to get more rotting out of it some of my compost isnt really rotted when I add it but it still works ok .....some people around here just throws veggie scraps into the garden and well it doesnt hurt anything really ......I have a thought on rotting veggies in the garden that pests really go and eat this stuff and leaves the growing stuff alone ;) its not soposed to be the best to do this but it does work......better to put veggie scraps into the garden then into the garbage ;)

• Stoned Angel and Skywatcher like this

#56 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

SO MANY people been talking about their lacto cultures..

I needa get one rolling... I think it will be a dandy addition to the nutritional profile and decomposing factor of

the soil food web :)

Turkey.. or anyone for that matter, make their own yogurt???

I make my own yogurt and well.. when making yogurt all your doing is taking lactobacillus bacteria(from yogurt 

that is almost empty, i just use a tablespoon of what yogurt i have left and add to 1gallon of "pasteurized" milk,

i just heat it to 180, then let cool to 130 then add, people say let cool to 110-120.. but i never had issues with 130)

and letting it ferment for 12 hours at 100-110 degrees... kinda close temp to our bellies...

turns into yogurt REAL QUICK...

this had me thinking...

Im in process of getting bamboo... and ive read a lot of GREAT things about bamboo, using the shoots

to make a lactoB culture, since I guess bamboo concentrates like 200 different species of lactobacillus bacteria

on its leaves and SHOOTS, I think its the SHOOTS that are important... the new growth.

What is your thought on that TR?  Or anyone else that can chime in and share a lil bit and just

haev a conversation with me :)   

Thats all i like doing... is conversing with people :)   Some peopel think i argue... but i assure you... those people

are creating that energy and are THINKING that i do those negative things... lol they are NOT my intent, i promise :) 

I mentioned this over at ICMAG... but noone wanted to talk about yogurt and they all just blew me off and most likely

think im crazy, but thats ok :) 

I like crazy :) 

• Coopdog likes this

#57 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

An easy way to make a healthy drink full of lactobacillus is to soak sprouted wheat berries for 48 hours... its called Rejuvelac. Was pioneered by Dr. Anne Wigmore. http://therawspirit....oodest-Gatorade
  • TurkeyRanch, Alder Logs and wharfrat like this

#58 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:51 PM

This garden is going to be awesome ! 

(and I am learning good stuff following the progress)

This is of course assuming you don't burn up every muscle in yourself getting it ready and planted..........................

:thumbs_up:      :laugh:        :thumbs_up2:

#59 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:28 AM

Thanks sky! This should be the best one yet, I learned a lot the last few years.

After I quit growing fungi, I took some time off of topia, and I needed something to read and study besides organic chemistry. I got heavy into reading about organic gardening, and read various gardening forums, and weed forums (some really cutting edge science gardening on some of the weed forums). I have done ok in the last two years with my garden, but this is the first year I think I might be able to pay the rent selling food or birds for part of the year.

We are going to join a local food club that meets once a week, basically a farmers market, and there is another local official farmers market too, so we can sell food two days a week potentially, and there is a CSA that will take any excess. It will just be a lot of work, but farming isn't supposed to be easy. At least it's fun!

A lot of this succeeding has to do with planning and timing, and making sure I start enough starts, and get prepped better. Last year I fucked off all winter going to Mexico and Belize, then spent the spring going to shows in the states and basically didn't get back to work until it was absolutely necessary. This year I stayed home and made sure to plan well. I am kinda still cutting it close, but it will work out.
  • wildedibles and Juthro like this

#60 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

I think you are doing an amazing job, and I thank you for making the effort to show the rest of us.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!