74 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:15 AM

Snow is gone for now :) and I am able to dig a foot into the gardens some deeper ...anyway I found some goodies today in my garden :)

Some red onions are big enough to eat and some Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus)

http://en.wikipedia....salem_artichoke

tubers that I plan on trying a few different ways this year to preserve them for eating later as well (more info and pictures when I try a few things;)

Radicchio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radicchio

http://en.wikipedia....chorium_intybus

This type of lettuce I really like and it is growing now the heads are really small but I let them self seed cause I couldnt find the seeds till they broke open and seeded themselves so I left it alone in the garden and waited till spring :) I did good cause I have these little heads starting all over the veggie garden :) I had a nice garden snack this afternoon :)

also found some parsnips that I couldnt find in the fall if you pull them before the flower stalk comes up you can still eat them ...when they sprout a flower stalk they become too tuff to eat but i save these in the garden for the next years seed ;) which should be planted soon

I have to work a bit at a time as my neck and shoulders are in severe pain all the time so I have to do a little work but not too much at once finding a ballance in the garden this year is gonna be hard but just try and stop me from growing ;)

I planted some more red onion I like this sweet kind :)

I also planted some poppy seeds as these did very well in the veggie gardens last year :)

and some garlic seeds and cloves I forgot to plant in the fall

and a forever onion they are more of a green onion than a bulb onion

I will add some pictures later ....... I help a few people and their gardens and will add pictures of these as well I just finished planting yellow onions and red onions in a friends garden more roots to be planted soon enough :)

I have some tomatoes started inside and some cauliflower and cabbage and broccoli also started inside hoping to have some nice stir frys this summer :)

Edited by wildedibles, 20 April 2015 - 01:19 AM.

• Sidestreet, TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

It has gotten cold here again we just had some snow so I went inside and cursed the sky ;)

anyway wild is throwing snowballs still ;)

I am still doing a little everyday cause I can see the ground and work it a bit but need the structures done before the black fly's come ...they swarm bad here in the spring making garden work annoying

IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1811.JPG IMG_1814.JPG

A friends garden I help with he made it a bit bigger this year

this guy likes all the rows straight where my garden is only about 5-6feet wide so I cultivate from the outside no need for rows to step in I find it wastes space and creates an easy spot for weeds to grow if you do not use a mulch....

We have garlic and onion in this garden already ...have the steaks almost in well less than half I think but I am getting there and the names are wrote on the poles with a sharpie

the posts came from a garage tent that blew away into the bush and broke some of the poles and such so u cannot use it anymore ...so I suggested that his peas weighed over 100lbs last year we are useing strong posts this year ;) maybe the peas will not fall over cuase they are impossible to get back up if they fall over lol....

This is my garden Radicchio a yummy treat right now :) I am moving some around and keeping some where it is but when the leaves grow long they become bitter right now they are yummy

IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1829.JPG IMG_1830.JPG IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG IMG_1842.JPG

here is the link to the mushroom that grows in this garden

https://mycotopia.ne...rocybe-molesta/

Edited by wildedibles, 22 April 2015 - 09:50 PM.

• Sidestreet, TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#3 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing your garden. I am not a rows person myself either. I like designing my garden to be both efficient and visually pleasing. I try to do stuff like using sourgum, sunflowers, and corn as trellis for my squash, peas, melons and cucumbers, planting herbs between plants as ground cover, etc. Traditional rows waste space and are boring.

I am going to move this thread to the "Back to the Land" forum. Keep us updated!
  • wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

love it! we got toms going this last weekend, and a few greens.. have peppers going in also, it's been warm enough that i think they will be fine going in this early.. a ton of herb starts for the farmers market.. loving spring time!!! bring on summer

following..

• wildedibles likes this

#5 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

No summer yet, I am not ready! Hold off on the summer for a week or two until I finish building the garden!

I can't wait till next year when I don't have to make beds, just plant stuff. And my soil will be in it's prime next year too. I wanna see pics of your garden too wharf!
  • wildedibles, wharfrat and CatsAndBats like this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

Yes I wanna see pictures guys :) share ideas :)

I just found a few willow sticks to use either in the garden or to make something to keep the bugs of the cacti so I can have them outside like a greenhouse simple maybe just a lid nothing to walk into ....depends how many willow sticks I can find :)

Using corn or other tall plants for others to climb up naturally is great old ideas once started is less work really companion planting makes it easier on the veggies having a buddy to help you grow or mixing herbals in to keep the bugs confused is the way to go :)

It is hard getting the garden started but once started it just gets better and better every year :)

My garden eventually is gonna be an above ground garden with seating around it so as I get older I can sit on the sides and do work instead of bending etc... :) So I have been adding compost every year and poop to enrich the soil ..... I dug a pond and the sand went into making the garden longer I put the old compost pile on top of that and below it all lol is a bunch of leaves and tiny branches and yard waste stuff :) making the garden a bit above ground already ...which makes for a warmer ...earlier garden ;)

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Spooner and 1 other like this

#7 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

Thought you might enjoy this living willow fence..

http://www.inspirati...low-hedges.html

Also, willow twigs steeped in water is supposed to make a good rooting water for other plants.

• Skywatcher and Alder Logs like this

#8 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

The tips of willow species are very high in auxins, the plant hormone that stimulates plant tip growth.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin

Picking a handful of new growth tips and blending them up in water makes an amazing plant tonic, either by foliar or soil drench.

Top dressing with compost is a great idea Wilde, it seems your almost practicing no till gardening.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 24 April 2015 - 11:55 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

My garden has never seen a tiller just my little hand rake sometimes a shovel not very often tho I didnt have to dig this summer in there yet ....

my buddy's garden he uses a tiller on his ....

I have some old branches and yard debri on the bottom that I wouldnt want to be tilled this garden is more of an above ground garden but the part I am working in at the moment you can dig with a shovel or tiller if you wanted to just the new part has debri under it trying to prevent the grass coming threw without using some type of plastic a barrier making it totally above ground.....I think I need to explain this more later ;)

lol I have a planter type garden on the other side of my doggy fence tho that is lined with plastic and all wooden above ground it has been going for a few years now and all full of grass :( ...hubby is gonna have to help me get rid of the grass so I can put some morning glory's in they are so beautiful growing up the ugly fence :) and they feed the humming birds :) I plant dagga in my veggie garden cause it is close to brush cherry trees provides shelter for the garden but :) the humming birds love it ...humming birds I think are the only thing that can pollinate dagga it has long tube flowers coming out of a spiky flower ball ....

The mushrooms I have growing in my garden eat both wood and grass I think I have 2 different kinds or maybe they are the same one ?? maybe I can put some of the mushrooms in the fence garden that is full of grass ??

Today I filled empty pots of cabbage broccoli and cauliflower the ones that didnt sprout got a new seed put in them I have been planting a few once a week so I have some to eat early and have some to process in the fall :)

I should list the dates here I am trying to keep better track every year instead of trying to remember

next weekend I am going to straighten out my tomato plants ...I put 2 to a 4 inch pot but some grew 4 ?? I think some seeds were stuck together and it is sooo hard sometimes to get one seed out wheres my tweezers??  but anyway I am going to have 1 per pot separate them all ...haha I gave some tomatoes away too but I promiced some of them I will repot them when needed cause I have the dirt mix already :) ...just bring them more full of dirt pots be the best until they need a size bigger ....I cannot put tomatoes out till 1st of June really cause of frost warnings but getting covered with plastic works when they get too big for the house windows :)

A good friend is not gonna have a garden this year cause he cannot take care of it ...the woman that usually does it cannot .... he was discussing this with me and last year I found it too much another big garden that I have to drive to not just walk to to tend taking care of gardens can be full time work ....need to recrute more help ...anyway my friend said I need a green house with all these babies sprouting lol we were talking about if you sprout your own seeds a garden can be cheaper than the store produce but if you plant plants like he does it can actually cost more but it is really nice to pull a carrot out and brush it off and eat it ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 25 April 2015 - 12:36 AM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:57 AM

:) LOve that link Spooner :) nice shapes you can see them well making it easier to do thank you :) xoxoxoxox

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1943.JPG

Some tomato sprouts :)

IMG_1938.JPG

My hanging system to create more room works very well but I still need more room its too cold yet to put anything outside

Cauliflower babies :)

IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

cabbage babies :)

IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1936.JPG

I still have to bring all the planting dates in here I have some wrote down at my house and some at a buddys house man I am not organized what so ever ;) oh well work is getting done

I staggered the planting of the cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli plantings so we will have some ready at different times :)

• Sidestreet and Juthro like this

#12 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:50 AM

Ha!  That hanging system is awesome.

Sorry you have to deal with black flies.  We caught the tail end of black fly season only twice, when we went to Maine for two summers.  I can't imagine what it's like at its peak. 

You gardeners are making me miss veggies.  :)

• wildedibles likes this

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

ya black flys are bad for a month or so in the spring they swarm and make you itchy all over ....they peek at planing time lol so your all dirty planting and cannot bat them away from your face without getting covered in mud open your mouth for a min to say hi to someone lol yeck just swallowed one shake my head got to get some of this gardening like the rows straight before I plant them ;)

April 1st I planted tomatoes

post-121976-0-71973500-1430107585.jpg

post-121976-0-34415000-1430107566.jpg

post-121976-0-33737900-1430107712.jpg

and 3 cabbage

post-121976-0-90552300-1430107518.jpg

post-121976-0-11765500-1430107532.jpg

and some cauliflower

post-121976-0-89950000-1430107803.jpg

April 15th planted some 6 broccoli, 3 cauliflower, 3 cabbage and 3 dagga flowers

April 20th 3 dagga, 3 cabbage, 3 cauliflower, and 3 broccoli.

April 23rd put extra seeds in the pots that didnt sprout yet.....

I have more to plant this weekend and some to move into bigger pots I wanna put some plastic in my garden there to help the lettuce get a little bigger I should check on it today see how its looking / tasting :) it tastes better than black flys :)

Edited by wildedibles, 27 April 2015 - 11:51 AM.

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#14 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

A tip if you're planning on doing the three sisters planting method of beans/peas with squash and corn-- not all varieties have growing habits that lend to this method. Remember that even if you're only using heirloom varieties and not newer hybrids, we've got seeds coming from all over the world now and varieties that would never see each other in nature. So do a little research into the plants you've chosen, first. I learned this the hard way.

• TurkeyRanch, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:46 PM

A tip if you're planning on doing the three sisters planting method of beans/peas with squash and corn-- not all varieties have growing habits that lend to this method. Remember that even if you're only using heirloom varieties and not newer hybrids, we've got seeds coming from all over the world now and varieties that would never see each other in nature. So do a little research into the plants you've chosen, first. I learned this the hard way.

I am very interested in this type of gardening but I canot grow corn here I have tried enough to know my gardens are too small for corn and they have earwigs that love to eat any small cobs before I get a chance too .....from what I hear they are heavy feeders??

squash grows well here but my garden is too small and my buddy's garden well he doesnt eat them so why grow them?? Cucumbers tho are going in my buddy's garden is perfect for the long cucumbers and I plant the small pickling cucumbers ///I never seen to have enough to pickle tho at one time and the first ones rot waiting for the other ones to be big enough...maybe plant more of them ...sneak some in my buddy's garden too?? lol I am thinking about planting the mini cucumbers on string this year I did this with a couple of plants last year it makes them easier to see ;)

...that reminds me lol I had one mini cucumber grow huge last year lol left it too long actually found it pulling the plants at the end of the season it was 4-5" long and fat .....lots of compost boosts the yields with cucumbers but I still am having yellowing issues where they touch the ground .......I have rotting wood in my garden and lots of feed compost and poop I also pull weeds and leave them in there as mulch cause it adds nutes too but I think there is still a nitrogen imbalance ??

Peas I plant snow peas and they do better than the other sweet peas in my garden (My fav thing about my veggie garden is picking food and bringing it into the kitchen or eating it on the spot ;))

I go out and pick my herbs and pick snow peas for the summer stir frys :) some greens some parsnips (carrots do not grow well in my garden either)

I find what doesnt grow well in my garden grows well in my friends garden so we share :) He grows reg sweet peas sooo well and beans too that I do not waste the space in my garden anymore same with carrots

the snow peas I grow a few everywhere and I mix them with thoes pole beans that grow huge long beans and throw  a morning glory in there for more color :) and the humming birds love it :) 

• Skywatcher likes this

#16 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

Morning glory is great, I love growing lots of it. I bet I have 60 starts at least, planted with last years saved seed. I am going to plant it at the base of sunflowers so it climbs and adds additional foliage, as the sunflowers here are for shade for the birds, and privacy. It should look epic.

If your having issues with yellowing on your cucumbers, maybe throw tomato cages or circle of fence around them so they climb. I am going vertical as much as possible this year. First preference is to use corn, sunflowers and sourgum as trellis, but I might end up doing part of the garden with field fencing trellis, or plastic trellis. Obviously it would be better to use plants, because it is free, looks cooler, and is more productive.

I love the hanging plant system wild, good system, and ascetic too!
  • wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Thanks :) I am going to make another one hanging system with the kids I will share how to do it better now that I know how to do it :)

Maybe the cucumbers can climb up the dagga :) or morning glorys climb up it you got me thinking now :) ....

I was going to use willow sticks and string to get them off the ground this year ....I tried to use the Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) to help things grow up but it grows so thick nothing wants to grow with it really ...well I plant onion and garlic and lettuce around it but the way it spreads I might have to rethink it and make another garden else where lol it tends to take over easily ...

IMG_9324.JPG IMG_9326.JPG

The chickory holds its own with them and the garlic and onion but it is difficult for other stuff to grow with it

Here is the dagga I have more pictures of the garden last year that I will add later ...

IMG_9329.JPG IMG_9334.JPG IMG_4298.JPG this garden looks more like a jungle most of the summer lol and sometimes it is hard to get the weeds out but I use the weeds as much as the veggies sometimes so its all good :)

Edited by wildedibles, 28 April 2015 - 01:01 AM.

• TurkeyRanch, Spooner and wharfrat like this

#18 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:59 AM

The beans and climbing peas will do well with corn or sunfowers, but for the cucumbers, zucchini, melons and heavier climbers I will probably use metal fence. All will be decided in the next few weeks, as soon as I build my beds I am planting.

That is some impressive growth for so far north, looks awesome. Can't wait to see pics of this year.
  • wildedibles likes this

#19 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:24 AM

Living that far north is a mixed blessing.  

The seasons are shorter but the summer days are longer than further south.

Keep us posted Wilde I love watching your garden grow.

:wub:  :tinfoil:  :wub:

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

row row row your boat...ah no....?? nice sturdy poles to hold the peas up I put 5 in and am stringing the whole height they grew a meter tall last year just over a yard tall ....My friend over planted it and it got too heavy last year and they all floped over onto the potatoes ...no big deal but my friend likes a straight garden ...clean...rows string everything to be straight lol I dont do this with mine I find it will grow either way ;) ...Im not as straight lol

gallery_121976_1456_44999.jpg

I have found space for everything and will be planting root veggies this weekend ;) parsnips carrots ...not sure about beets and turnip I think they would be fine .....

gallery_121976_1456_15301.jpg

My little boy ...ok friends dog but its my dog I am just not aloud to keep him at my place ;) lol

gallery_121976_1456_48764.jpg

rows not so straight but close ;) lol I ran out of string and decided I did enough for the day ....

gallery_121976_1456_42455.jpg

This is the pea row all strung up already finished this today
My buddy told me that the people behind him want to take some trees down.... well they might have to bring them down on the garden which is a NOOOO!!! well the one tree they can wait till fall and the other ones they might be able to bring down beside the garden ....my friend is gona tell them that he has paid someone to put the garden in so if they mess it up with falling trees they will have to pay for it to be done again.... I cannot do all this work again ...we have only planted onion and :) poppies but the rest of the garden is strung and roots are going in this weekend ....I do not want to do any of this work over again ....

gallery_121976_1456_13581.jpg

These ones are kinda straight.... this is the shady part to the garden for cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli then beans and peas get more sun there ....onion and poppies are on the outside edge shady part

gallery_121976_1456_72223.jpg

needs a little straightening realized after it got strung up :) lol roots parsnips, carrots turnip, and beets

gallery_121976_1456_28720.jpg

at the sunny side will be tomatoes 2 rows and cucumber about 3 wide and 8 long ..buddy wants to plant 2 kinds so it will be 3 x 4 x 2 ;)

these need to be straightened out lmao even hubby asked if I was drunk on this side ....I wasnt but I see what he means ;)

gallery_121976_1456_48577.jpg

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!