#21 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

wild, always forward not straight :biggrin:  your rows are perfectly forward.. gonna be a bumper crop this year

• wildedibles likes this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:09 AM

my dog fence garden where the morning glorys go climbing beans and snow peas :) lettuce grows well in the shaded corner nice and cool there ;)....it will be frost protected when I add some thick plastic here to the fence

gallery_121976_1456_103817.jpg

Lots of grass in here way too much hubby pulled the loose stuff off and helped me to dig and pull the rest of it too :)

gallery_121976_1456_43944.jpg

so half of my fence garden is weed / grass free :)

gallery_121976_1456_42848.jpg

I planted lettuce seed and was going to cover it to keep the frost away but we are having really warm weather and too hot and lettuce = it going to seed too quick so I am going to leave it alone maybe sprinkle some poppy seeds in here too :)

I was thinking I can use this plastic to keep the frost off the morning glory side with the beans and snow peas that would give them a head start :)

gallery_121976_1456_13425.jpg

I moved some of the chicory lettuce / Radicchio Cichorium intybus into this garden to space it out a bit....I went shopping today with my mom I showed her this lettuce in the store it is $2.99/lb :) and they are not much bigger than mine.......I wanna try and get bigger heads before they fully grow out cause it is too bitter when the leaves grow out ......hoping spacing it out they grow a bit bigger .....I topped the garden up with compost and mixed it in a bit then seeded it and then added a layer of poop to the top just a thin layer

gallery_121976_1456_43249.jpg

where the Comfrey Symphytum is planted it hasnt come up yet...and my Girl :) she has a peep hole so she can see what is going on ;)

gallery_121976_1456_23018.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 01 May 2015 - 03:14 AM.

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Spooner and 1 other like this

#23 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

The gardens are kicking my ass but I have taken a bite out of the mountain of work that needs to be done :) and my boys promised to keep helping me :)

I got a deal on my soil mix this time :) I am using peat moss instead of the planting mix ....they are the same thing but a little per lite is added to the planters mix rest is peat moss so I got peat moss 70L for the same price of 30L

and if I got the smaller bag I would need 2 so even better score :) ....only thing I started thinking is this sterile enough for the seedlings? Seeds? well I add poo from the bag too ? so I tried it on a couple yesterday to make sure they all wouldnt die on me or something....

tomaotes I seperated them some had 3 in one pot some had none so I fixed them up 1 in each pot and I took 3 cabbage that were too big and gave them a pot that is wider at the top :) A gift from my Momy :) thanks mom for all your flower pots :)

checking today non are dead or wilted all the tomato plants look good I buried them a little deeper in their new pots and all is well

the cabbage I took them all outside 2 have bigger pots and they are fine no signs of stress :) little ones liked that sun today and they did not wilt in the hot part of the day they are in a more shaded part of the garden but they had some sun today with a nice breeze they look like they are a darker green :) I was worried that leaving them out all night they will get eaten by bugs I worried but I put them under the plastic tent I made in the garden and they are in pots and in a flat to carry them all so a bug has to get threw all that hassle and its the cut worms  I am worried about these stems are bigger and they would have to be in the garden dirt ...any way .....fingers crossed the biggest cabbage seedlings like their spot in the garden and bugs don't like them....It was cloudy for the morning sun out about noon too 7 and that time its warm there for about 2-3 hours then the suns heat isnt as strong in that part of the garden so it wasnt stressful on the cabbage .....sorry all this work watching them grow for weeks I dont wanna loose them all in one night ;)

anyway I started making my hut :) maybe not a mushroom hut but  a building out of many different trees what I could find that grew straight :) and I am using the vine that is everywhere here ah...Virginia Creeper vine to weave all the sticks together like a big basket :)  It is gonna be big enough for a few uses more on this later :) My one friend and kids both think I am crazy building this but wait till it is a little more done instead of a few sticks in the ground ......using different trees I found I have a few different colors so I was spreading them out a little and making sure there is big ones all the way around then ones that arnt as tall etc... I can make the smaller ones longer by putting another stick there overlaping them making them one

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#24 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:13 AM

loving your thread :wub:

wild wrote "and if I got the smaller bag I would need 2 so even better score :) ....only thing I started thinking is this sterile enough for the seedlings? Seeds? well I add poo from the bag too ? so I tried it on a couple yesterday to make sure they all wouldnt die on me or something...."

i wouldn't worry about peat being sterile but it is very acidic, some garden lime and or gypsum should help with the ph. most peat is 4.0ph you will want to change it depending on the type of plant you are growing.. neutral is more 6ish range

I'm looking forward to seeing your hut.. post pics

• wildedibles, Juthro and happy4nic8r like this

#25 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

I would recommend one plant that will blow you away, if it works for you.

scrape the side of the tomato and potato plants, tomato in pot potato in ground.

use parafilm to stick them together where you scraped them.

cut off potato top when tomato shows sign of life, then cut off tomato where it goes into pot, keep growing pot if it will.

it will go limp at first.

how cool would that be, garden person, to have tomatoes growing on top and potatoes later when you dig them up????

I will start a posting, I have probably violated a rule posting this twice, but I just can't help it.

DSC00001.JPG                                                         DSC00002.JPG

I did one of each, in the pot, and in the ground. Extra branches, very small plants, immature, young?        

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks buddy  I forgot to mention what I added to  the peat moss ;)

I added egg shells about an 18 pack all crushed up and

2 parts vermiculite and

2 parts perlite to

10 parts peat moss

I think I put 3 parts bagged cow poop

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

I would recommend one plant that will blow you away, if it works for you.

scrape the side of the tomato and potato plants, tomato in pot potato in ground.

use parafilm to stick them together where you scraped them.

cut off potato top when tomato shows sign of life, then cut off tomato where it goes into pot, keep growing pot if it will.

it will go limp at first.

how cool would that be, garden person, to have tomatoes growing on top and potatoes later when you dig them up????

I will start a posting, I have probably violated a rule posting this twice, but I just can't help it.

attachicon.gifDSC00001.JPG                                                         attachicon.gifDSC00002.JPG

I did one of each, in the pot, and in the ground. Extra branches, very small plants, immature, young?        

:) There I reposted it cause it is sooo cool of an idea ;) but ya make your own thread and explain it really well send me a link if I dont see it on my own I forget sometimes ;)

I guess its a way to practice my cloning eh? I didnt plant potatoes this year but if any come up in my garden I will practice and put a tomato plant on the top :) try it out the kids would think it was neat too :)

Edited by wildedibles, 02 May 2015 - 05:03 PM.

• TurkeyRanch and Juthro like this

#28 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

Thaks, I just saw it, did it and had to find the garden threads to nudge the idea along, thanks for letting me jump your thread a bit.

On subject;

Have you tested the pH of your soil?

Unless you have pretty alkaline water, the peat will be acidic. Egg shells are slow release.

I think?

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

I saw Territorial Seeds was selling a grafted tomato/potato plant this year. They were calling it catsup and fries or something like that, I cant remember for sure. It sounds kind of cool in a novelty kind of way, but I doubt it is all that practical.

Nice work WildE, the weather is changing enough here that I'm going to have to start working outside soon myself, least I be put to shame by you and TR. :)
  • wildedibles likes this

#30 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

Wow.. really nice Wild :)

Im not even close to planting my stuff outside yet,

got another month till i throw my veggies in the ground.  

I dont trust the frosts here... damn weather lol

• wildedibles likes this

#31 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:31 AM

Nice work WildE, the weather is changing enough here that I'm going to have to start working outside soon myself, least I be put to shame by you and TR. :)

Indeed nice work. I will be starting my fermented plant nutes soon, horsetail first.

Juthro, I hope you post a thread for your garden when it gets up and running, it would be awesome to see what you do way up north. Do you put up netting so penguins don't eat you starts?
  • wildedibles, Juthro and wharfrat like this

#32 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

Ya the frost here can still come in mid May so only the roots have gone in they will not be harmed other tender plants are still inside ...well I have the cabbage outside but they will go back in if I hear frost is coming they are still in pots

and I have planted lettuce but lettuce likes it cold anyway

catsup and fries lol good name ;) I think this plant can save room especially if it can be grown in a big container with wheels so you can take it in if frost threatens the potatoes are ok after a frost but the tomatoes are a goner when frost comes.....

I noticed yesterday when I was picking up all my buckets that some had grass growing better under the bucket than the open ground ....I lifted a few upside down buckets all the same thing long green grass growing under the bucket compared to the brown grass that I see all over the lawn ....maybe its warmer under the buckets speeding up the growth and maybe enough light gets threw so its all still green .....so I had an idea to put some buckets over my chickory lettuce to see if it grow a bit bigger quicker we will see in a few days if it works :)

Yes Juthro I wanna see :) too .....

Horsetail wow thats a great idea that add lots of strength to plants like the comfrey does :) thanks for the idea I will be collecting this plant soon ....I use it in the tub for sore lower backs especially if the kidney areas hurt .....lots of silica content in this plant

Edited by wildedibles, 03 May 2015 - 12:46 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:22 AM

I would be honored to share our meager attempts to grow out own fresh food here. And no, penguins aren't all that much trouble, but if the moose find out you have planted any kale, look out. :)
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

We had a moose walk right threw town here one morning :) I dont live as far north as you do now buddy but still far enough north to know what you are talking about :) ....cool season veggies if you do not wanna fight with your seasons I am thinking about making a cold frame plant lettuce and other greens in it keep them warm and the snow off them it might work to grow in there ???

• Juthro likes this

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

This is the bucket I was talking about the grass growing better under the bucket ...so I put a bucket over some of the lettuce and it is growing taller and better now :) I had to take it off today so it could get a little bit of rain :) finally its not gona be so dry

gallery_121976_1456_31913.jpg

And here is my little hut started :)

gallery_121976_1456_15500.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_23770.jpg

Its about 5 feet wide and I have a tent top flap for the roof :)

gallery_121976_1456_36971.jpg

Its next to  the pond and the veggie garden and near the fire area but far enough away :)

Here is some Tomato babies

gallery_121976_1456_54789.jpg

some of them need to be separated

gallery_121976_1456_71184.jpg

the 2 to the right have been separated already and growing nicely

gallery_121976_1456_44104.jpg

This one has been separated too into its own pot

gallery_121976_1456_41337.jpg

and baby cabbage :)

gallery_121976_1456_86671.jpg

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:41 AM

repoted tomatoes the other day 05/07/15

gallery_121976_1456_6832.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_12389.jpg

The pot is only a little larger and taller

gallery_121976_1456_46744.jpg

nice roots :)

gallery_121976_1456_65692.jpg

a few more to go some were too small to move yet I think they just germinated so wait a few weeks
the one there is all dried out I keept missing it watering it and I was going to leave it there instead of repotting it and putting it outside cause it I couldnt see it I guess good hubby for seeing it for me ;)

gallery_121976_1456_76835.jpg

Everyone is outside and under plastic at nights but it hasnt frosted since I put them out

gallery_121976_1456_71409.jpg

The cabbage beside their plastic cover

gallery_121976_1456_20464.jpg

it has gotten cold not frezing yet but close when its like this and the plants have already had a drink I get lazy and just leave the plastic on looking at them making sure they are not too hot either but cold rain makes me hard to move so it can stay out and protected...

gallery_121976_1456_72300.jpg

this is one I made right in the garden getting the cabbage ready for their spot in the garden I dont think the cabbage really need it but oh well give it a try anyway

gallery_121976_1456_78662.jpg

sprouted onions :) they do not need to be covered frost will not bother them they went in as soon as I can get into the garden they can also go in in the fall and survive all winter in the garden potatoes and carrots same thing survive all winter

gallery_121976_1456_80413.jpg

Strawberry blooms in the rain :)

gallery_121976_1456_23968.jpg

and there is the garden up till now I have more pictures of the lettuce I need to eat it soon cause it is getting bigger and the bigger it gets the more bitter it gets ;)

• TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#37 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

nice strawberries ;) 

I just planted 136 strawberry plants the other day :D 

I wanna get those "pineberries".. heard they taste like pineapple...

• TurkeyRanch and wildedibles like this

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

neat I havent heard of thoes before ..... 136 thats a lot of strawberry's

These strawberry's are wild ones they are growing very well in this spot better then the tame ones in the garden lol

I need to get a garden going in this spot for my buddy South facing basement wall collects lots of heat for things to grow quicker and it is a hard spot to mow the grass in he usually takes a weed eater to these strawberries waiting for his to come up in the garden I think it is funny how people fight their weeds to grow harder things to grow way up north here ;)

• Il19z8rn4li1 and Juthro like this

#39 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:19 AM

Here is my chicory lettuce now :) yummy too :)

gallery_121976_1456_165672.jpg

I moved these into this garden to separate them a bit they were clumped way too close in the original spot

This big one had a pot over the top u can tell it is larger than the others around it

gallery_121976_1456_89797.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_126698.jpg

This is the original spot growing with the onion and garlic :)

gallery_121976_1456_195533.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_115070.jpg

Some parsnips are comming up too :) I think I am going to leave the mullien in the garden let it grow :) I can harvest the flowers :)

man oh man I have to weed this garden soon :( lots of work....

gallery_121976_1456_73143.jpg

I should be able to harvest and dry some of the (grill all over the ground) (Yellow dock) dandelion root ;)

• TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#40 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Awesome progress wild.

Love the dog peeking thru the fence!
  • wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!