74 replies to this topic

#41 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:33 AM

Here is a short fence I made to go around the strawberry garden ;) they are amazed that it is growing leaves lol this one is not willow it is an elm I think anyway it worked well :)

gallery_121976_1456_161654.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_68644.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_57663.jpg

The strawberries are growing better in the other spot tho I have to weed this garden out

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#42 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:30 AM

I started my fermented fertilizer today it is great when you transplant plants it helps with healing of the roots and even if you break a stem in the transplanting it will help heal it up in one day ;)

what I have in the fermented fertilizer

Comfrey leaves (new ones that are coming now freshly sprouted)

Burdock leaves (weeded out of the veggie garden for the minerals)

cabbage (to help with the fermentation)

molasses (for the minerals and the sugar to help the brew ferment :) )

Burdock weeded out of the garden

gallery_121976_1456_26080.jpg

I cut the tops off and am going to used these in my fermented fertilizer because Burdock has a long tap root that draws up deep minerals from the ground up to the top into the leaves :) = lots of nutes in the fertilizer :)

gallery_121976_1456_8074.jpg

I am going to wash and dry the roots (they are drying on a paper bag to help draw the water from washing them off) if they are still wet tomrow I will dry them a bit in the oven ....burdock root is very healthy and it tastes yummy has a sweet taste but it is good for people with diabetes too its not like sugar its different .....

https://mycotopia.ne...food/?p=1100985

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#43 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

some of the babies :) We had a storm the other morning and the sky was pink before the storm this is why the plants are a funny color ;) These get covered on frosty nights still

gallery_121976_1456_141574.jpg

Onions they can go threw frost no prob

gallery_121976_1456_62800.jpg

Tomatoes the bigger of the bunch :) These need to stay covered on frosty nights

gallery_121976_1456_128384.jpg

Cucumbers just starting to pop up :) cover these in plastic for an early start....

gallery_121976_1456_161218.jpg

carrots tiny tiny :) they can go threw frost no prob

gallery_121976_1456_14964.jpg

turnip and beets tiny tiny :) they can go threw frost no prob

gallery_121976_1456_163416.jpg

Cabbage I think the leaves either touched the sides of the plastic when it frosted the other night or they got bleached by the hot sun the other day while they were under the plastic....??

gallery_121976_1456_22749.jpg

some grass is gone and I have something sprouting dont know if its a weed or a ????

gallery_121976_1456_21590.jpg

Still need to tackel this one gggrrrrr.... i need help???

gallery_121976_1456_253772.jpg

Onion Garlic parsnips chickory lettuce ....... this one is comming nicely :)

gallery_121976_1456_265360.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_20283.jpg

gallery_121976_1456_100197.jpg

I think the Mullien in there can stay :)

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

#44 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

Love the stick fence! Too bad the weeds won't stay that small all year, the overgrown garden looks pretty. Need help? Isn't that the main purpose to having children? Tell them no dinner until they weed that patch!
  • wildedibles, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#45 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Love the stick fence! Too bad the weeds won't stay that small all year, the overgrown garden looks pretty. Need help? Isn't that the main purpose to having children? Tell them no dinner until they weed that patch!

Thanks I have another person that wants one after seeing the one I made lol

I thought that only worked for doing the dishes ; ) I will try that and see how it goes ;) lol

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#46 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

Weeded half the straight garden and it started to snow so I quit ;) plants will be ready to plant in a few days summer temperatures are coming our way one more cold day and night and we should be all good .....

#47 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

Finished the straight garden weeding / turning today planting tomorrow I will take some pictures .......

#48 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

Snow, frost and weeds. 

The first year I was here we got snowed in twice, the water lines froze and blew out the well pump, and the power went out so I didn't have any water or power, or phone, or internet.

It's amazing what you have that you don't need.

Only the first one surprised me, by the second there was no problem, generator backup and the heat tape on the pipes.

I thought about putting a refrigerator outside since it wouldn't need power during the winter.

The second year it never even got below freezing even once.

We didn't even know our well pump was bad, at least the 200 feet of steel pipe that looked like swiss cheese was.

It looks like you have some experience with plastic frost covers, and even leaving weeds to absorb some of the frosty nights.

Do you can stuff? Make mostly dried botanicals?

• wildedibles likes this

#49 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

Yes we pickle some beets and cucumbers and can tomatoes .......dry the weeds ;) and freeze some stuff but usually we eat it up in mid / late summer cuts the cost a bit for summer veggies ...lol the peas just get eaten right away never have enough to freeze them no matter how many we plant we like them raw :)

I finished planting the straight garden but forgot my camra I will get some pictures tomorrow

• Juthro and Spooner like this

#50 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:48 AM

Tomato row

gallery_121976_1456_3555.jpg

a nice looking tomato

gallery_121976_1456_23591.jpg

another one that is ok

gallery_121976_1456_31140.jpg

some of them got a tuch of frost threw the holes in the plastic the top layer covering up the holes didnt stay on durring the last frosty night yesterday I added a few more tomatoes that looked better off then these ones but I know these frosted ones will come back the stems are still strong the leaves dont look all that great tho

gallery_121976_1456_24765.jpg

cucumber beds we have 4 beds and way too many cucumbers planted in them :)
I started some off early in pots but some of them got frosted cause they were in a plastic bin with a plastic cover with too much water I think it let some cold air in but I had some from my house I put in
we planted 8 cucumbers x 4 beds way too many cucumbers but we give many away from my friends garden here :) share the nutrition is the best thing I like doing :)

gallery_121976_1456_106271.jpg

root veggie rows I pulled the weeds in here but i didnt dig I do not wanna disturb the little ones here when they get a little bigger I will scratch up the row get the weeds out and add some poop to thee top around he seedlings so they can grow me some nice root veggies :)

gallery_121976_1456_191385.jpg

#51 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Looking good WildE. :)

Keep it coming....
  • TurkeyRanch and wildedibles like this

#52 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

my biggest cabbage :) I staggered the planting so some will be ready while the others are catching up :) all should be ready in the fall if I take care of them right I might be able to get a spring small crop from them too
when I planted them in the garden I planted one small one one big one so when we take the first big ones out the small one will have more room to grow :)

gallery_121976_1456_103387.jpg

cabbage and cauliflower / broccoli row

gallery_121976_1456_73933.jpg

my lettuce, onion, garlic, and parsnip :) ....lettuce is starting to become more bitter but I like it that way ....my other lettuce has sprouted tiny tiny yet but when this one is really done the babys will be bigger :) I have done more staggered planting this year taking advantage of the early spring for cold loving plants :)

gallery_121976_1456_140265.jpg

more parsnips down there and sun chokes that mullein :) some weeds attract beneficial insects mullein will not hurt anything in the garden

gallery_121976_1456_140263.jpg

#53 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:08 AM

Do you have a lot of problems with slugs WildE?

Last season the slimy little things almost completely destroyed all of the cabbage I had planted.
  • TurkeyRanch and wildedibles like this

#54 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:18 AM

Get em drunk Juthro. It's a ton of work, but beer traps woke pretty well if you keep them full and have enough of them.

Wilde, looks awesome. You are sure to be flush with good eats soon!

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 28 May 2015 - 01:19 AM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#55 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

We miss you, Wilde.  Hope you are doing okay.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#56 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

I have missed you all thanks for checkin in
I having computer issues cant wait till i can share some pictures
Snails drunk traPs work well if you water in the mornings it can be good too snails dont move well when everythings dry
  • Skywatcher, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#57 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

Relieved to know it was just computers once again making life easier.

• wildedibles likes this

#58 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:49 AM

Maybe the computer knew that i was working too much in the garden needed to have a break somehow but i dint ask for the computer to have a break ;)

Lolanyway if cucumbers were curency i would be rich lol ok not rich but we have taken 100 cucumbers out of the garden and we r picking lots of tomatoes and ripening them in the window so the rest of the tomatoe on the plants can get bigger before frost

We didnt get an early frost so we should have tons of tomatoes i do like how we have some green some orange and some red so we do not have to use them up all at once
The tomatoes that have a little hole or if they have a spot that doesnt ripen all the ones not perfect will be cut in half with spots removed and freeze them to make sauce and stuff later

I had to take many leaves off the tomatoe plants so the tomatoes can be seen better and get some sun on them next year as they grow i will remove the succers as the plant grows

We had roast chicken and veggies from the garden the other night and hubby said it was the best meal of the year :)
We put small veggies in the roasting pan onion potato beets carrots and turnip the turnip will not be grown next year it was full of buga same as cabbage cauliflower and broccoli

I wasnt gonna start any tomatoes next year but a friend got me my soil to do it with so i guess come march or so i will be starting them again out of 64 plants i got rid of them all but 16 and friends still wanted more after i got rid of them all lol

So next year tomato Cucumber Peas. Beets carrots. Onion and garlic i think thats all so there be lots of room for that

We are gonna throw away the tomato cages as they do not work to hold up tgese monster tomato plants we are gonna use these metal poles for steaks and tie them up with a thin rope and twine instead maybe making a green house in the garden by using plastic to wrap them up first thing in the spring maybe putting the cucumbers under plastic too i think it work but its hard to explain
  • Skywatcher likes this

#59 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

glad garden did well for ya Wild.  

I ran out of water about half way thru my garden season this year...

we had a nice 6-7 weeks of no rain and 80-90'f days with 70'f nights, it

dried up my ground till i had 2-3 inch cracks forming... it was pretty crumby. 

Always next year

turnip will not be grown next year it was full of buga same as cabbage cauliflower and broccoli

if you dont grow these crops next year and you had bugs on them this year... where do you think those

bugs are going to look for food next year?? Your other crops...

Id highly recommend continued planting of crops that become riddled with bugs.  Some times

its a nice way to GATHER a large mass of pest bugs because then one can GENTLY cut the plant and

toss that baby into a barrel fire that is raging, WITH all the bugs on it still of course.  :) 

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 17 September 2015 - 07:30 AM.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and happy4nic8r like this

#60 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

My garden at my house dried up too ran out of rain water but carring it didnt work so well and keeping up with weeds was impossible so i have a plan nexr year :)
Use pots and bins next to my rain barrel and next to the pond so if the kids are not into carring water my gardes will not burn out all i could keep wet and shaded was swiss chard it grew perfect this year compared to other years

My friends garden is where all the veggies are at cause he waters every night and i can do all the bending in the garden which he cannot do and he does the tilling and me and him do the steaking and stringing
Combined effort is where its at :)

The soil i got for free was alot so it fill my bins and containers with compost and poop it fill them up nicely
The herbs in my garden loved this heat dry weather reminds me to pick more chocolate mint ;)
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!