happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

Nice work Wild!!

A garden is a process, not just a hobby. It teaches you about so many other things besides how veggies grow. 

I am always in awe of how we have made it this far as just one more living thing on this planet, the only one that domesticates animals for food, and grows veggies for food.

We also grow lots of other pests that come along with that, and like ?!#%$^ says, it's all part of the deception and having expendable growing plants are part of the game.

I remember growing sunflowers and they attracted among other pests, squirrels who would work in teams to pull them over and eat the seeds.

The rest of my veggies thrived that year.

something to that?//for suretain.

Have you tried artichokes? I have grown them two years in a row now and am starting to get the hang of the two varieties I bought at the local Rite Aids market in town. they grow back now every year (so far) and now I have tons of future seeds. they are so good fresh, and even though not as large, they take less time to cook and are just as good.

popgrow.JPG  whooooops that's the poppies, here's the chokes'

sept14 (5).JPG                    going to seed for next year.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#62 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

:)
My poppies did ok this year they got crouded out by other plants /weeds this year but i had a few bigger flowers :) i have white with the purple inside and my mom got me some red seeds this year

Artichoke eh will they take my 40below winters? Me and hubby were just talking about trying these we like the taste of them.
Thanks buddy for your input
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#63 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

I'm collecting seeds from these heads, and will send you some if you want to try them out.

Some of them survived the first year snow here, didn't stay below freezing more than a week,

The second year I cut them back and buried them in straw. Got them all to grow back.

The plants cost $4 each at the nursery and you get a half dozen chokes out of a plant, so they are not much cheaper than in the store!

Easy to grow though, and don't attract any bugs or mold, at least here.

• wildedibles likes this

#64 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

Thats cool thanks love sharing garden stuff :)

I am going to be making some sliced pickels this weekend like the sandwich pickels

I ate too many beets out of the garden there is none left to pickel so my buddy picked up some cheap ones to pickel maybe this weekend too?

Wheres my jars ;)

My aunt said she is buying a pressure cooker next year to do tomatoes down i told her i would go halfs with her so i can grow mushrooms :) im excited about that now :)
  • Juthro likes this

#65 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Our beet crop got mostly destroyed by root maggots this year, and the few that survived got ate right out of the garden as well :)

But they were good.

Got canning going on here as well, we did up a six pack of sweet pepper relish just last night. One more batch like that, and I'll be good for one jar a month, until this time next year :)
  • wildedibles likes this

#66 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

I got chokes going this year,  first year with them.

They are MONSTERS.. il have to snap a few pics.   maybe not monsters.. but they are large to me

because they are all spiky looking.

Maybe.. 3ft tall... no flower though or choke grew.., its just leaves out of the ground.  

• wildedibles likes this

#67 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

Numbered one will artichokes grow more northern than u im up north of you by about six hours i think fortey below zone come mid winter?

Jethro relish eh cool i was thinkinh to do some reg relish with all this cucumber lol

I just gave a truck driver friend some cukes and tomatoes in a few stages so he can ripen the rest in the dash of tge truck ;)
He was visiting with hubby when i came home he told me right away that he had a cuke and it was good he wished he could eat better in the big truck so i gave him a few cukes that were too big for pickels but small enogh for one person to eat it all at one time hecould not believe that we had such a bounty this year

I love sharing :)

Me and my oldest boy (the pickel lover) made 12 small jars well one big one out of that now i know that the sliced sanwich size fits well in the wide mouth small jars
Whole baby pickels do better the bigger jar the better fit ;)

Beets and still more pickels to go without the early frost we got a big bumper crop :) good year

Oh my morning glorys are lovin the extra long summer too as well as the kilp dagga is lovin it too
Some mint sprouts are being collected as well :)
  • Juthro likes this

#68 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Numbered one will artichokes grow more northern than u im up north of you by about six hours i think fortey below zone come mid winter?

Just did a lil reading on artichokes, as I did not this spring at all before I planted them.. I just knew I wanted them

and I know that just about everything grows in my climate with a minor tweaks here and there.

So far, from a quick read and a few youtube videos later maybe 10-15mins.   I come to realize

that artichokes are mild summer mild winter kinda crops.

I also discovered that they are a perennial... kinda of a "HELLS YEA" moment when I read that, because

I have a row of them about ... 40-50 ft long with .. 15ish plants.  They are planted quiet close though... and my

soil needs some major work to keep up with the congestion of plants I have roll... The row of tomatoes that run along

side of the 'chokes are only .. 1 ft away... then the other row of toms are 2 ft away... 3 foot walk ways, I plant

a "walk way crop" in all my walk ways, just not done the center but off centered so I can still use a wheel burrow

in between the rows. 

BUT.  I read this blog thingy from some lady in Zone 5 with -27'F temperature dips in the winter with few week

spans of barely reaching over 0'F

Thats pretty much MY WEATHER lol... but more like -20'F dips at times, but the single digits for weeks

on end are not uncommon considering are last pattern of years.

So what this lady did was buy as many "hard 'chokes" she could find. 

She planted them all in the spring, then let them thrive all year long, (i dont think she did but Id recommend over wintering 

them with some chopped leaves for insulation) then let them over winter, the ones that survived the winter she 

made sure to cure for those that next season and pulling seeds from those. 

(If you plant them early enough in the spring so that the seedling experiences a few COLD TEMPS then

they will go to flower that first year, mine did not experience the cold temps as I started them inside so mine

will not go to flower this season, which is a + and - in my book, more of a + though because they have really

nice developed root systems now going into summer surely preparing for flower production next year :P)

In this lady's case, her plants experienced a cold period in the spring so they went to flower for her, so she

was able to collect those seeds that year to start up the pheno hunting regime. 

She kept her seeds labeled so she knew what plant they came from.

After that first winter... the plants that survived where used to determine WHAT set of seeds to plant.

She just tossed the seeds from the plants that didnt survive that winter...

see where she is going with this???

She just repeated the process over a few years, 2-3 roughly id say, and was able to evolve and assist natural selection

and find the phenotype of 'choke that was more cold hardy.

She did this in Zone 5 though... your probably Zone 4-3 right? 

To add to what she has done... I'd wager that if you planted these in a strategic manner I bet you can get some success.

They ARE perennials after all.. which im totally stoked about :) 

BUT with strategic planting, id say... Keep them on the SOUTH side of EVERYTHING and ANYTHING.

Have a HEAT SINK THERMAL MASS object on the NORTH side of the plants.

So say your house is BRICK or you have HUGE STONES in your yard, plant the 'choke on the south

sides of those in the sunniest area.

Id bet youll have some good luck with these babies...

This being my first year growing them, they are an amazingly intriguing plant.

Heres a good video of a lady that doesnt tend to her 'chokes at all... but i have no idea her location.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 20 September 2015 - 11:41 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

#69 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

I am in a more temperate zone, but I think when I bought the choke starters they had something about how they would work in  a variety of zones, mine included.

What I found was that you let them grow, cut them when they are like the pic in the video, and then at the end if you want seeds, leave the last few go to flower. Then I cut mine back to a stump (about 5 foot tall and 2" diameter).

After the weather starts changing they have little leaves starting out of the ground all around the stump, that's next years crop I found out. Where I had one, I now have 5 or so new ones, and each of them will produce 5 more next year.

I have two different varieties, but they seem to share the cycle. I cover the babies with straw for the winter in case of frost, and cut the stump in the spring so I know where they are.

Going to try the seeds this year to see if I can relocate them to a better spot than where the previous owner planted them, they take up my whole garden including pathway when they are in full bloom. Each year the fruits get bigger and bigger, they were like one to a pot last year.

You can also microwave them in a short wide drink glass with water in it, and another glass on top for about 10 mins. Found that out by accident.

• wildedibles likes this

#70 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Just pulled in all the cucumbers and tomatoes now i need to get more pickels done

Juthro would u mind posting that relish web site again that was a post we lost i will post how i do my relish but using one of thoes relish recipes to get me started off :)
  • Juthro likes this

#71 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

My pleasure WildE. :)

It is the National Center for Home Food Preservation's web site. They have all kinds of good info on there.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/relish.html

I look forward to hearing how you do yours.
  • wildedibles likes this

#72 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:01 AM

:) i had a deal with myself just veggie plants to spend money on this year well that was until i seen these succlents lol :)
Well they do not need to be watered but to fill in my new rock garden i di water them a few times when we had like two weeks no rain so it fill out not stunted :) worked well the plants grew into thier sandy rich soil hole between the rocks ;)
Little or no water nessary
Need to bring them in i think but they are like my cacti nice winter friends too :)
So maybe they can lastt longer than one year
So the couple bucks for three of them made cents to me :)
But buy a plant with no name not sure if to bring them in or not so i looked for a name and found the three ofthem

Hairy succlent is kalanchoe tomentosa (panda plant, pussy ears)

Blue stick succlent is senecio mandraliscae blue (blue ice plant)

Purple rossette succlent is Echeveria gibbiflora var.metallica :)sweet name metallica cool
Lol anyway they all grew well in mostly afternoon hot sun butshady mornings so wasnt all day but hotest part of the day inbetween rocks dirt was new mixed and placed between rocks
Compost ;)
Poop sgeep and cow
Peat moss?? Cannot remember
Sand
Think it was compost no peat moss causr its not good for cacti didnt wanna use it but the compost was rich rotted well held water a bit dried hard was a good fit with sand to drain better and pooop
Pictures this winter i hope to get something up
Will be busy till tge snow flys now ;)
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#73 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

I hear you about the snow WildE. We are forecast for our season opener today as a nasty cold front is moving in from the arctic.

It has come a little early this year, and it has me scrambling to get the rest of my fire wood stacked up under the shed. I only have about one cord left to process, but I hate to be rushed. I should know better and have had it all done already.

Ow well, no rest for the wicked, :)
  • wildedibles likes this

#74 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

A few days ago i showed a new friend my veggie garden the one at my house cause the one at my friends got tilled up for the spring already but anyway......

.....my friend reminded me he is diabetic he loves potatoes but cannot eat them
I told him i had potatoes for him the sunchokes have died back so there should be good tubers in there now usually i just fi d them in the spring but they r good now :) dug some up for my friend and explained to him that my garden seeds itself i found him some rideco ok cannot remember the spelling lol chickory ;) i let it go to seed too
I explained its more of a wild garden i like it this way weeds that make good food i cannot believe snow is on the ground and some stuff in the garden is ready for next year :) so im gonna dig some sunchokes out for me and some chickory too i plan on putting a pail over the chickory see if they get a little bigger protected by the bucket no need for light the whiye bucket lets enough light in but not too much so they r a little less bitter ;)

#75 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

Juthro with your weather up there u should have some chickory it sure is yummy outa the garden :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!