#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,214 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

hello friends, spring is here i have a new home. I am finding more and more in my yard that is both edible and medicinal. which is really cool because my property is not that big.

I don't know if there is a wild edible medicinal plant thread out there, if so can a mod transfer this post, if not then i would like for everyone who would like to contribute to post freely in this Thread.. maybe the Admin can add its own forum if popular enough..

Happy foraging!

Galium aperine (cleavers/clivers) too many uses for me to list

20150418_144211.jpg

Urtica dioica (stinging nettle) again, a miracle drug IMO

20150420_181544.jpg

Fallopia japonica (japanese knotweed) Although an invasive species knotweed is an excellent source of vitamin A, along with vitamin C and its cofactor, the antioxidant flavonoid rutin, Japanese knotweed also provides potassium, phosphorus, zinc, and manganese. It is also an excellent source of resveratrol, the same substance in the skin of grapes and in red wine that lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart attacks

20150420_181457.jpg

Lamium purpureum (dead nettle) Dead-nettle's reported to be highly nutritious, abundant in iron, vitamins, and fiber. The oil in the seeds is high in antioxidants. And the bruised leaves can be applied to external cuts and wounds to stop bleeding and aid in healing.

20150420_181535.jpg

• the_chosen_one, -=Zeus=-, wildedibles and 3 others like this

#2 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Good stuff my friend, if I ever get some wheels I'll get out there and contribute to this!  I know where I can pick  literally 100's of lbs of fresh wild reishi every year, along with turkey tail, and all kinds of herbs and other plants.  

• mycowarrier, wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#3 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

right up my ally too. good post. lots of good stuff coming up around here.
  • wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:52 AM

post-146391-0-32800600-1429582471.jpg

The round oval leaf there is Plantain :) another wild edible or medicinal plant ;)

https://mycotopia.ne...tago-plantains/

I have several wild plant threads some the pictures are still missing in and its hard to find everything I have some that are mixed like yours and some that are a single plant :) If using the names in the tags for one plant per thread googling it becomes easy using "mycotopia Plantago ( plantains )" for example

I love the fact that we can share info like this around the world really :) learning plants that are edible and medicinal is very important info sometimes and sharing it and making sure someone has the right one is very important :) many many people here are knowledgeable about plants and mushrooms that this shared info from multiple sources is excellent :)

Edited by wildedibles, 21 April 2015 - 02:16 AM.

• wharfrat likes this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:18 AM

Good stuff my friend, if I ever get some wheels I'll get out there and contribute to this!  I know where I can pick  literally 100's of lbs of fresh wild reishi every year, along with turkey tail, and all kinds of herbs and other plants.  

Sometime all you have to look at is the nearest lawn ;) or even the crack in the side walk our wild weeds always surprize me growing in some weird places

#6 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:18 AM

right up my ally too. good post. lots of good stuff coming up around here.

I reckon so friend ;)

• wildedibles likes this

#7 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:22 AM

post-146391-0-32800600-1429582471.jpg

The round oval leaf there is Plantain :) another wild edible or medicinal plant ;)

https://mycotopia.ne...tago-plantains/

I have several wild plant threads some the pictures are still missing in and its hard to find everything I have some that are mixed like yours and some that are a single plant :) If using the names in the tags for one plant per thread googling it becomes easy using "mycotopia Plantago ( plantains )" for example

I love the fact that we can share info like this around the world really :) learning plants that are edible and medicinal is very important info sometimes and sharing it and making sure someone has the right one is very important :) many many people here are knowledgeable about plants and mushrooms that this shared info from multiple sources is excellent :)

Not sure why I just get a few Likes to give a day, maybe more than once, but if I had another to give it would go your way wildedibles.  I really appreciate your honesty in all of your posts, and the helpful and caring way you put something you love out there for all of us to share!  Love you girl!

Edited by MezzMezzrow, 21 April 2015 - 02:22 AM.

• wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#8 GLP

GLP

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 141 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

Eating to Heal

Since my childhood days walking around my Grandfathers farm in PA, I remember clearly the afternoon walks that my Great Grandfather and I would take along the side of the concord grape vineyards, with an occasional car passing by that would break the concentration of my Grandfather as he expounded on the virtues of using nature’s own remedies in his heavy Italian accent and whole foods that could we could gather easily in our afternoon walks.  

I never realized how powerful his words were until a few short years ago I heard a Canadian speaker suggesting that everything I needed to live a healthy life could be gathered within one square mile of my home, in fact the speaker emphasized this by stating a second time, that people will starve with enough food to feed their entire families within one square mile of their homes.  As I listened to the latest speaker, I thought about the words that my Great Grandfather spoke like it was yesterday. This has become a quest of mine to understand what is around me that I can take advantage of, foraging, wild crafting, and uses for what I grow in my garden.

My yard is a mixture of edible landscaping, fruit and nuts, herbs, flowers for my lovely wife, and medicinal plants which some would call herbs and others would call weeds. I look at everything as having a purpose, whether the purpose is small or large depends on our knowledge and acceptability of the usage. In many of my presentations you have heard me state the powerful nutrients in Dandelions, Plantain, Dock, and other “weeds”. Today I want to let you know about a recent paper presented in the Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention Vol 15 2014.

The paper made headlines in several natural health groups and national magazines, the formal title is, “Cytotoxicity Assessments of Portulaca oleracea and Petroselinum sativum Seed Extracts on Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells (HepG2)”. I must confess I really hate this type of reading, it is a lot more chemistry that I ever studied or ever wanted to. But I muddle through what I need and ask for help when I cannot comprehend the basis of the paper. This paper presents the ability of an extract of Purslane seeds (Portulaca oleracea ) to eliminate 83% of the human cancer cells in vitro within 24 hours. The Parsley (Petroselinum sativum) seed extract also demonstrated anti-cancer fighting abilities in this paper and in previous studies.  But the liver cancer cells were more sensitive to the Purslane seed extract than the Parsley seed extract.

You remember Purslane, the pesky little weed that sprouts up in between the sidewalk cracks and the patio blocks? I knew that Purslane was the major plant based source for Omega 3 fatty acids along with beta-carotene and vitamin C. But I had no idea that the seeds of the plant could be such a powerhouse of the plant world. Chinese medicine describes purslane as "cold", meaning that it is a cure for a "burning" heart and liver. Greeks call it a blood-cleansing herb. In Mexico, purslane is considered good for diabetics.

Many of the studies listed in the references have shown that plant based remedies contain bioactive components which directly address Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Liver Cancer, Breast Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Melanomas, and Lymphoma’s. While our genetics play an important part in development of illnesses, the chemicals and lifestyle we surround ourselves with, and the food we eat every day play an equally important part of our ability to stave off an illness. We should work to create nature based supplements which support our immune system and enhance its ability to fight cancers and many other illnesses which would rob us of a long and happy life gardening.

Seed pods Of The common purslane plant (Portulaca oleracea)
Immature seed pods Of The Parsley plant

• wildedibles, Skywatcher, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

:) I share your views here......people do starve with plenty of food within a mile or so of where they rest thier heads I see it all the time

I also see people go without herbal remedies because they cannot afford that processed pill at the store that says its ........ but who knows if it is or not??

I do believe that the medicine we need is growing in our path that we walk every day even if it is all concrete it will be under your feet coming up threw the cracks with a will to survive that cannot be beat ;)
  • Skywatcher, mjroom, GLP and 1 other like this

#10 TheHunkHogan

TheHunkHogan

Pencils

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:37 AM

It’s funny how people are so much more frightened of foraging wild edible fungi than plants, when finding five plants that can kill someone would take a matter of minutes... finding a deadly fungus (in Colorado at least)... could take days.

So many medicines and stories are often walked on without reverence. I had to put my cents into this neglected thread.

Favorite Wild Medicinal Plant: Yarrow and mullein (prepared together)..
Favorite edible plant (for the moment): wild plum.
  • wildedibles likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

my fav medicinal plant for the moment is wild lettuce
my fav wild food always is berries :)
fav wild mushroom chants or black trumpets cannot forget shaggy manes :)
I do find just as many poisonous plants as mushrooms when I go hunting ....I think the prob is reconition with some people cannot tell the diffeence between mushrooms or plants for that matter
  • TheHunkHogan likes this

#12 TheHunkHogan

TheHunkHogan

Pencils

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Wow! Lactuca (sorry...spelling)? I never know what to do with that. I usually opt for the lambs Quarters... which is often nearby. How do you use wild lettuce? The sedative use or for food?
  • wildedibles likes this

#13 TheHunkHogan

TheHunkHogan

Pencils

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Err... how do you use it for medicine?

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:08 AM

I nibble on it when out in the yard or in the woods both I use are too bitter to use alot of but it works for mild pain or to take the edge off
I like the stuff that grows taller then me ;) look for young rosette plants near the taller ones from the year before
  • TheHunkHogan likes this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Here is a couple more favorite plants
Shepards purse :) fond childhood memories alone while the boys were playing without me looking at these little plants with hearts on the stem ....pull the heart apart and a few seeds come out :)
ater used this for crampy diarhea before I stoped eating wheat I had painful digestive cramps a few heart shaped purses and the cramps were gone "what!! nothing worked like this"

Plantain is a good one for cuts and scrapes it will stop the bleeding and help with pain as long as you keep the leaf on take it off the pain comes back....chew up the leafor rub it up in warm water place it on the sore good for new cuts or make a salve for old injuries or scares

Mallow is a great edible leaves stems (starch) root and the seed pods look like wheels of cheese and very tasty :) soe pricey restaurants are using them in salads now :) this is my youngest sons favv that and chives lol :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!