27 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

Sometime it can be trouble :( A fox is being seen way too often and people are scared of it ...I seen it today and its not too healthy looking and it is not afraid of me walking toward me while I was taking its picture ....I was being careful cause we are not sure if it is sick or not it being not afraid is not a good sign

I am going to call our natural resources to see what can be done with this one see if it is sick or not maybe get it moved or??

I wanted to share some pictures of it

IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1906.JPG IMG_1918.JPG

This time of year I think it should have more hair than that ...I have an outside dog and she still has her winter coat starting to shed ....this fox might have mange could have rabies or distemper we have to keep a look out on it and warn others in the area that have cats or little dogs ...little pup tied outside is an easy meal if your really hungry little fox...??

• -=Zeus=-, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

It doesn't look well. 

I've had a red fox come right through my camp, not expecting anyone to be where I was.  It was pretty bold and said, "WTF you doing in my morning run?"  It did something like air barks.  I was surprised by the sound of whispered barking and turned to see it only a few feet away.  It didn't let me being there stop it.   It's a favorite memory.

• wildedibles, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:20 PM

WildE, that poor little guy looks in bad shape. I think something is wrong with him. Be careful, and give him a wide birth.
  • wildedibles likes this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

Yes he doesnt look well this picture was taken across the road from a friends house that has a little dog there is a few around this spot so we warned everyone around ...many people have seen him and are talking about him ....but the him might be a her she kept going under some shed buildings across the road that are owned by the rail road we need to let them guys know too cause it was walking close to me I know enough to stay back and my friend had a shovel just encase we went inside the whole time his little dog was barking at it and it didnt care one bit just kept scratching his face on the rail road tie

when it was walking toward me it was walking down the tracks digging in the sand it seen me and didnt care walked toward me into the junk by the buildings ...there is a park for kids close to this area too and this was all about noon mid day out and about in town not very good signs for this little one ....

#5 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

Contact the department of wildlife, they may pick up said fox, nurture it to health and re-introduce it elsewhere. If it is too sick and beyond help, they will have it put down humanely.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#6 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

Contact the department of wildlife, they may pick up said fox, nurture it to health and re-introduce it elsewhere. If it is too sick and beyond help, they will have it put down humanely.

That's not the case in some places, several yrs ago, when married to wife #3 (lol), her son went to the bus stop which was at the corner of our own yard, and came upon a wounded oppossum.  It had apparently been hit by a car during the night, and was laying there wounded until bothered.  It started making a horrible hissing, moaning weird sound, so my ex called the police.  They came out and said nope, call the humane society.  The humane society came out and said nope.  Finally, she paid some old man with a pickup truck and a big leather glove $5 to get it gone.  Moral to this story?  lol

• wildedibles likes this

#7 SoCalR1Rider

SoCalR1Rider

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

So the quick brown fox DIDN'T jump over the dog?!?! My entire childhood has been a LIE
  • wildedibles likes this

#8 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

If it's not intimidated by humans, I would say rabies, and with it's tail looking like that, I would say mange......good luck with that.

• wildedibles likes this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

I called today .... they said that there hasnt been a case of rabies in 10 years so its probably not that ...she said defiantly mange if it has no fur

she also said that they do not come and get animals it is up to the municipality to do something about it....

...she said if it is not afraid of people to scare it by making loud noises so eventually it will become scared of people

...talked to the town people that would be responsible (as of yet we still have no dog catcher in the area no bylaw officer either) so they said they do not have to do anything about it either

so they are just passing the buck back and forth ...but I live in an area that has no natural resources we have to call the nearest one and there is 3 nearest ones so I will call the other 2 tomrow

last night this fox came nose to nose with a little dog in the area and the owner managed to scare it away but she also told me that a few cats are missing in the area as well ....its hard keeping my cats inside but thats what we have to do

we were told that maybe a trapper in the area can come and trap it ....?? now how do we find one of those cause it is against the law to fire a gun in town ..??

There is also a group of ladies that trap ferial cats and get them fixed and release them get their shots and such as well I was thinking about calling them cause they have the traps but they might not wanna deal with a fox but you never know they are cat lovers and they might not want any more cats going missing ??? all worth the effort to find out that is for sure

thanks all for your help dealing with sick wild animals is hard I can use all the ideas I can get :)

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

I would think that any full grown cat would hold its own in a gato a zorro confrontation with that one. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#11 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

I am extrememly sorry for saying this, but I have to do it.

Yall that know me know I am an outdoorsman.

There is something wrong with that fox for sure, and if nobody is going to come and get it.

Well I think you know where I'm going with this... right?

If cats are missing and it is not scared of people, than it is only a matter of time before something worse happens.

Is it worth it to wait for that time before something is done?

Again I'm sorry that is just my .22 bits

Edited by dice, 23 April 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• coorsmikey, mycowarrier, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Catch it in a salmon landing net and take it to a good vet's.  We have a great animal rescue lady in our area.  I have taken injured birds, from robins to red tails, to her.  She is up to save any that can be saved, and put down humanely, any that can't. 

Too bad there's not one like her everywhere.

Anyone within 100 miles of Astoria, OR, if you have a situation like this, PM me and I'll tell you where to call.

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 April 2015 - 08:42 PM.

• mycowarrier, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#13 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

Looks like mange to me. Plus even a perfectly healthy fox wants an easier meal than a full grown cat (wow, pun NOT intended).

I think it needs a lot of love or a quick end.

Edited by catattack, 23 April 2015 - 08:05 PM.

• mycowarrier and wildedibles like this

#14 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

Well i had a long post then lost my connection,

But it had to do with how this government is more interested in giving

billions to NASA (for space exploration) when people and fellow mammals are suffering

from diseases like mange not to mention the ones effecting man like the ones in Africa

river blindness (the suicide disease) malaria, etc.

No let's see if there's life on other planets! 

Edited by mycowarrier, 23 April 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

The original source for this appears at the link at the end (cat pun intended this time)

"CAT Scans

A space program needs a pretty good digital image analysis to locate and measure objects. Digital imaging is the computer processed numerical representation of physical images. The JPL played a lead role in developing this technology. This has proven incredibly useful in a variety of medical technologies, like CAT scanners, radiography and microscopy."

http://www.care2.com/causes/5-things-we-have-thanks-to-space-exploration.html#ixzz3YBWdExyf

or:

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinoff/database/

PS sorry for the hijack @wildedibles

Edited by catattack, 23 April 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#16 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

well that is fine and well pasted info.

All i am saying is we should be more concerned with the health of man and animals on 

this planet.

The wasted time and money by NASA could have gone to end pain and suffering on

this planet.

• wildedibles likes this

#17 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

The original source for this appears at the link at the end (cat pun intended this time)

"CAT Scans

A space program needs a pretty good digital image analysis to locate and measure objects. Digital imaging is the computer processed numerical representation of physical images. The JPL played a lead role in developing this technology. This has proven incredibly useful in a variety of medical technologies, like CAT scanners, radiography and microscopy."

http://www.care2.com/causes/5-things-we-have-thanks-to-space-exploration.html#ixzz3YBWdExyf

or:

Not a hijack cat just a discusion about wildlife and how pitiful we handle this suffering.

Let's fix this planet and end suffering here before we satisfy our curiosity about outerspace. 

I did'nt have to read your links to know that NASA is just a money pit and useless waste of tax money.

Edited by mycowarrier, 23 April 2015 - 08:43 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

"CAT Scans

or:

Not a hijack cat just a discusion about wildlife and how pitiful we handle this suffering.

Let's fix this planet and end suffering here before we satisfy our curiosity about outerspace.

I was apologizing on my own behalf, you know that I'm full of only love to give right? I wish I could end all suffering but...

#19 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

Me sorry too  :blush:

I just get worked up about these things.

I have seen so much suffering in man and animals that could 

be avoided if we just cared about our fellow inhabitants of OUR planet.

One more thing and i will not debate it any further.

There is no future in going into outerspace.

NASA knows that but they have a BIG payrole.

They lie and give us fake or enhanced pics of planets.

My words will ring true someday.

Edited by mycowarrier, 23 April 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#20 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

poor fox, if that is one, hard to tell the way it looks and the pic. there are non lethal way to deter the lil guy from coming back i'm sure. M80's ? a pellet in the ass from a pump BB rifle :) rocks.. i dunno, never had a problem living in the city. never been that far out. good luck wild, i hope no human or animal gets hurt gets.

• mycowarrier and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!