#21 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

That's a good one, I heard of that one too but it's a tough one if you don't live in the area.

I miss the :lol: smiley!

#22 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,682 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

Some folks bury their stash ahead of time where the festival parking lot is going to be (few days before the fences go up), at least if they're planning on selling balloons of nitrous since big tanks are real hard to smuggle in. [where the hell did our beloved ":reb:" (rebel) smiley go?!? I've missed that one the most...]

Just make sure you get there as soon as the gates open so you can grab the right parking spot!

Good idea I suppose, but I have never had my vehicle search while entering any festival. I usually keep a tank in and empty cover for a EasyUp canopy that is usualy quite visible. Even have had the cops come up to us looking for the tank cuz of everyone near by were holding balloons, the look in the vehicle and move on to next. But then again there has been a few times where they have caught me and have made me empty the tanks. So depressing to see solid chunks of nitrous bouncing around on the ground as the cops laugh.
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,585 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

I bet you could get creative with some pipe and fittings, routing a line from a dispenser nozzle through your vehicle in such a way that no one could follow it all the way to the tank. Then, install a smaller decoy tank (full of CO2, maybe?). If caught, sacrifice the decoy. Or fill mini-tanks off a "mothership" and fill balloons elsewhere, making sure no one has any balloons anywhere near the big tank.

I LOVE custom-fabricating stuff like this. Cutting a pipe to a certain length is boring, but when you're cutting it for a stealth smuggling project it's all different; even the most mundane steps are a lot more fun. You'd think that flaring a tube is just flaring a tube, but flaring a tube for subversive purposes feels like secret agent/ spy shit. It makes my inner child giddy, and it's not merely superficial amusement since there is a degree of actual risk involved if one gets caught using one's "project" for its intended purpose. So it makes my inner subversive giddy, too.

[apologies for the length, but I'm pretty sure most of you will get a kick out of the rest of this post]

My favorite custom project along these lines was outfitting a guy's pickup truck with a hidden stash space secured by vacuum (well, it was technically secured by atmospheric pressure). There were no latches or locks or visible fasteners of any kind since it was held to the frame entirely by suction (which also made it VERY hard to remove unless you knew how to break the vacuum).

The container was made from 1/8" thick steel formed into an open-ended box designed to look like part of the frame. One person holds the container up to the frame while another opens the solenoid valves, which are plumbed with 3/16 stainless steel tubing to the engine's intake manifold (a vacuum can only be drawn with the engine running, of course).

In a couple of seconds it holds itself up, and a minute or two after that it's under fairly high vacuum and is impossible to remove without extraordinary measures (or breaking the vacuum). The stainless tubing can be routed under the vehicle and made to appear to be a brake line or hidden within existing frame members (covered with plenty of grease and dirt).

With a generic automotive vacuum gauge (not a suspicious accessory in a vehicle if installed properly), two normally-closed 12VDC solenoid valves, and two cutoff switches you're all set! Once the container is held to the frame via the manifold vacuum, the engine will continue to evacuate the container (so long as it's running) and any volatile compounds off-gassed by whatever is in it  (i.e. anything that stinks) will be drawn into the engine's intake air and be destroyed by the heat of combustion.

The gauge is for peace of mind; if the vacuum starts dropping, pull over before it reaches zero! The solenoids are for holding the vacuum when the engine is turned off, so the normally-closed solenoid valves snap shut when power is cut (by turning off engine). That makes them act like check valves, but an actual check valve would prevent breaking the vacuum when you want to remove the container.

Using two solenoids acts as a redundant layer of protection since (from experience) holding a vacuum is tricker than it seems and the stakes are rather high so it's a very low price to pay for the increase in security. They're controlled by switches, which are left "off" when the engine is off. Without the extra switch, the solenoids would pop open when you turned the key to Ignition/On, but for "driving" mode you only want them open when the engine is running so you'd only flip the switch back on after starting it.

For "getting your container back off the truck" mode you turn the key to Ignition/On and flip the solenoid switches on with the engine off. That pops the solenoids open, breaking the vacuum. Installing a separate switch for each solenoid so they operate independently prevents mishaps like bumping one of them accidentally and dropping your load prematurely, which could be REALLY awkward in some contexts (and merely disappointing in others, lol).

This is actually a lot simpler than it seems in text: Start the engine, switch on power to the solenoids, draw a vacuum/secure the container to the frame, watch the gauge for a minute or two to make sure it has a good hold, then go driving with the peace of mind of knowing all of your stinky stuff is being "filtered" through your engine.

If pulled over, no extra steps are necessary; just turn off the engine if asked to do so (but if not, don't!) and the container will be held fast under high-vacuum (which also contains any odors ...for a while). Volatile compounds (odors) would eventually be detectable even with this approach if the container were left sitting with the engine off for an extended period (even if the vacuum did not diminish). BUT thanks to the "active" vacuum created when the engine is running, all such volatile compounds will have been drawn into the engine, providing a few hours of safety after cutting the engine since it takes a while for any volatile stinkiness to work it's way out, which it will do eventually (but not to a degree that a human can detect, just a dog).

Volatile compounds are inscrutably sneaky like that; they WILL find a way out of just about anything (it's only a matter of time). Once this secure container concept was proven in practice (my prototypes work most of the time, fortunately), I heard back that it was expanded by some folks who loved it and had a lot more ambition than I did in this area (fuck THAT stress!). They apparently turned the underside of the entire floor of the back of a small box truck into a vacuum-sealed container (so the inner dimensions of the vacuumed space were roughly 6 feet wide, 9 feet long, and ~6 inches deep).

Opening the back of the truck would reveal nothing at all out of the ordinary, supposedly (I never saw the actual truck and even declined an invitation to check it out). I never heard about any highway 'mishaps,' (that rig was built a few years ago so has likely made a bunch of apparently-uneventful cross-country trips). I imagine it takes a real long time to draw a good vacuum (~18-23") in a space that large, but patience is a virtue.

Then there were the modified BBQ grill propane tanks that a guy who traveled to Mexico a lot showed me how to make back in the late-1990's when I lived in AZ. It provided him with secure stash in the bottom half of the tank. The upper half is outfitted so that it still dispensed propane if checked! Works great at land-crossings of international borders in your motorhome or RV/trailer (where quite often they WILL check your propane tanks to make sure they spew actual propane). He wasn't a drug smuggler (the tank won't do anything for odors against a dog sniff). He just wanted to have an extra secret stash of cash and a pistol for personal defense with him while he was South of the line.

As statutes of limitations on certain events that I had nothing whatsoever to do with (I swear!) continue to expire, my fond recollections of the past will continue to get more interesting (or amusing, or in some cases downright terrifying). As some of you can probably imagine, you ain't heard nothin' yet...  :wink:

Edited by TVCasualty, 14 May 2015 - 12:49 PM.

• Sidestreet, coorsmikey, AGAMA and 1 other like this

#24 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

I wonder if you could sneak some N2O into a festival just by inflating a sex doll with it, dressing it up in a bikini, and insisting that it's your wife. You even bought a ticket for her to come! Get pulled over? "That's my wife, officer."

• Sidestreet and Spooner like this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,832 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

I remember once that the Freak Brothers hid their nitrous in an inflatable couch.  But Norbert the Nark accidently found it with his pocket knife and got him a snoot full. 

• Phineas_Carmichael likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!