79 replies to this topic

#41 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like a good way to grow them :-)

I love russets for baked potato s. Stew I like the small reds and gold.
  • Juthro likes this

#42 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

That's the way I like em too.. :) The red's seem to store the best of all the types I've tried to grow as well.

The fingerling's are a new experiment as of this year, I've never grown them before, though we have bought them often from the farmers market. They are a firmer potato then a russet, more like a Yukon gold, and are great for frying or roasting, and hold their form well in soups, stews, and chowders. I am hoping that they grow well for us.
  • wildedibles likes this

#43 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

Dirty rotten no good, good for nothing moose!!!

No I don't really mean it, but those bastards got ALL of my broccoli and most of my sweet pea's last night... :mad: :bat:

#44 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

It's raccoons getting the hens here.  Fuckin' nature, anyway! 

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

It's hard for me to be hateful of a creature that is only doing what it is programed to do while trying to survive, but still it gets my hackles up. 

Sorry about the chickens BTW, Alder.  Here my neighbor has lost 2 ducks and a chicken to the bald eagle's this month.

• wildedibles likes this

#46 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hey juthro love the garden and the fact that the peppers do so well in doors.
We expanded here this year and actually got some extra pepper plants given by the neighbors making a total of 12. Mostly bell but the donated ones are spicy maybe banna too.

Mother's day is our average planting date due to frost.
Right now the green beans are only thing putting out but tomatoes and a couple peppers are bearing fruit. Along with the squash.
Your potatoes do well how you have them? We went with a trash can plastic with holes and rocks on the bottom for drainage. We started on the bottom and add hay and some soil as they grow up.
I had to use some organic slug repellents egg shells etc cause the can It seems is a harbour for slugs...we shall see how well it does its hard to tell how wet it is in side..
We had to use fence due to rabbits but I'd imagine moose are a bit harder to deter.

Edited by invisibilitysyndrome, 01 July 2015 - 06:40 AM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#47 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Thank you for the kind words Invisibility Syndrome, and please feel free to post any pictures you would like to share in my thread, the more the merrier. Memorial day is historically the time we put our gardens in here, before that the soil is generally still to cold. Though we have been known to get snow in the first weeks June.

When we first moved here, my wife and I joined the local gardening club to try and glean some information on what people grow successfully in this climate. They told us mater of fact that you cant grow peppers indoors, and you don't have a long enough season to grow them outdoors, lol. I have never done well with people telling me what I can't do, so of course I tried it anyway, and as you can see it is doing remarkably better then the dismal failure I was told I would have.

I have never done the garbage can grow with spuds, but we have used the potato boxes where you make the box taller as you go, and keep mulching with straw. But we have had piss poor results the last two years that way. So we are trying something new, but so far the plants above ground are doing much better then our previous attempts. I just hope they are putting on some serious spuds below ground as well. So far the only down side I can see to this method is it takes up more ground space, but that isn't much of a concern with the way our garden is set up, it just means less I have to mow :)

We decided when we put the garden in that we wouldn't fight the moose, (it is a loosing battle). And we would try to grow things that they don't like, but we could still use. So far I can tell you those things are NOT, kale, broccoli, sweet peas, lettuce..... :) They do however leave the rutabaga, potato's, carrots, onions, and fava beans alone.
  • TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and invisibilitysyndrome like this

#48 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

Juthro,

Beautiful peppers!! I am also a lover of peppers. The hotter the better for me. I am growing the Trinidad Scorpions for the first time this year . You ever grown them? If so, are they really that much hotter than Ghost peppers? I like making tons of pepper sauce with mine.
  • Juthro likes this

#49 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thank you Peacefrog, but alas my gut doesn't handle the hot peppers like it once did. So mostly I grow sweet, bell, and mild peppers. If you don't mind sharing, tell us more about your pepper sauce. I generally turn my surplus into chili powder or pepper relish, but I would love some new idea's.
  • PsyBearknot and peacefrog like this

#50 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

I tend to make a few different recipes for my sauce. But my favorite one especially with the hotter peppers is to pour ~ 4 Tabelspoons of olive oil or butter into a pot and put in 1 diced onion (sweet is my favorite) and 3-5 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped to a simmer on medium heat sweating them for about 5 minutes. Then pour in 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 cups of water. Then put in 10 -15 peppers cut up wearing gloves of course, a few carrots sliced up, either a cup of honey or 1/3 cup of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of liquid pectin (optional I just like mine a little thicker). Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Then place all in a blender and blend up until all is liquified.

Then I strain using a very fine colander into a large bowl. This is also optional I just like my sauce to be very smooth, but the more you leave the skins and seeds in there the hotter it will be.

Finally I pour into jars and can. The longer the sauce ages the better the flavor.
  • PsyBearknot, TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#51 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

Very cool, er, I mean very hot! Thanks for sharing brother, I am going to have to add that recipe to my list of things to try, it sounds wonderful.

Please let us know how those Trinidad Scorpions turn out for you. Turkey Rancher, and his better half, Tasty Beverage are into growing really hot stuff, if either of them stop by, they may have some input for you on them. But I think those would eat a hole in my gut if I tried them, lol.

Peace and love from the North,
Juth
  • wildedibles and peacefrog like this

#52 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

You could use a similar recipe for cayenne peppers cutting out the seeds if those aren't too hot for you. I would just leave out the sugar or honey. Tastes pretty darn good IMO. Habaneros are by far my favorite peppers for flavor. Ghost peppers taste quite similar but not as sweet. Thanks, I'm looking forward to the Scorpians. I have many flowers blooming on my 2 plants now and can't wait to see these guys develop and ripen. Nice thread, Juthro thanks.

#53 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

All of this talking about peppers made me decide to harvest a couple to put in my stir fry tonight. :wub:

Don't tell my wife, but I found where she hid her camera... :ph34r:

more indoor peppers.jpg

A single ruby king, a trio of paprika, and a pair of Georgia flame. We also have another batch of ruby kings, and felicity's from the indoor garden that are going to be ready for smoking in a week or two.

The 3 tomato's are destine for the freezer until I get enough to can them. They are from a couple of hanging baskets that we have in the green house.

I think my freezer total is about 5 so far, not counting a few we already ate fresh. But there are a bunch  tom's in our improvised low tunnel that are just starting to get nice and big. A few have even started to ripen. We look like we are going to get a good harvest this year. I am also excited to see that the Siberian Black heirloom's in the green house are starting to change color as well. It is our first time trying these guy's.

Edited by Juthro, 16 July 2015 - 04:04 PM.

• PsyBearknot, TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and 3 others like this

#54 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

I like peppers hot, but I'm not crazy.

• Juthro and peacefrog like this

#55 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

I like peppers hot, but I'm not crazy.

Well I guess that makes me crazy lol. I love the spice!!

Oh almost forgot that's some pretty stuff from the garden. Do you plant from seed or buy seedlings and transplant?

Edited by peacefrog, 16 July 2015 - 08:34 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#56 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for noticing, and asking Peacefrog!

We have gotten into seed saving here to try to be more self-sufficient, and yes those are grown from seed. If you or anyone else would ever like any of the verity that I grow, let me know (PM me) and I'll hook a brother (or sister) up.
  • TurkeyRanch and peacefrog like this

#57 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for noticing, and asking Peacefrog!We have gotten into seed saving here to try to be more self-sufficient, and yes those are grown from seed. If you or anyone else would ever like any of the verity that I grow, let me know (PM me) and I'll hook a brother (or sister) up.

Yea my wife and I do the same thing. We like it that way better as well. We actually get healthier plants and better production from our seed bank verses purchasing a plant from a nursery. Do you mostly grow heirloom plants? My wife is really a believer in growing from heirloom seeds.

And thanks for the offer!! Very kind of you. I might take you up on that and pm you some our seed types if you want to trade.

Happy gardening to all!

Edited by peacefrog, 17 July 2015 - 07:59 AM.

#58 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Very cool, er, I mean very hot! Thanks for sharing brother, I am going to have to add that recipe to my list of things to try, it sounds wonderful.Please let us know how those Trinidad Scorpions turn out for you. Turkey Rancher, and his better half, Tasty Beverage are into growing really hot stuff, if either of them stop by, they may have some input for you on them. But I think those would eat a hole in my gut if I tried them, lol.Peace and love from the North,Juth

Garlic in the hotsause helps protect the gut.
  • wildedibles, Juthro and peacefrog like this

#59 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

Thank you Peacefrog, but alas my gut doesn't handle the hot peppers like it once did. So mostly I grow sweet, bell, and mild peppers. If you don't mind sharing, tell us more about your pepper sauce. I generally turn my surplus into chili powder or pepper relish, but I would love some new idea's.

Tell us about the pepper relish?

I have some mini bells in (hopefully 3 colors) that I want to stuff with cabbage and pickle and then can. I don't have a recipe for it but it was a suggestion off the seed savers product description.

Be fun to make some giardiniera too!

#60 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

I would be happy to share our recipe with you brother, we got it off of the National Center for Home Food Preservation's web site. They are an awesome resource that I trust. We make the sweet pepper verity, and I love to take a half pint of it and mix it into about a lb of some fried up ground beef to spice up some burritos filling.

And because of the PH, you can water bath can these just like other pickles.

Here is the link to their pickling menu. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/relish.html

Edit: On looking, I think maybe it is the pepper-onion relish we make. We have tried them both, and I don't remember which one we prefer, though they both were good. I'll ask the boss, she will remember.

Edited by Juthro, 17 July 2015 - 01:19 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!