#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Jackie Chan:  'supports death penalty' for drug offenses

(http://www.bbc.com/n...-china-32620313 )

Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan has said he supports the use of the death penalty for some drug offenders.

Chan, whose son was jailed for drugs offenses, said that with drugs "you're hurting thousands of young children."

Jaycee Chan spent six months in prison in China after police found marijuana in his home.

Jackie Chan is Singapore's first celebrity anti-drug ambassador. He was named official Narcotics Control Ambassador by Chinese police in 2009.

Both Singapore and China have enforced capital punishment for drug trafficking.

In an interview with journalists conducted in both English and Mandarin, he said drugs were not only hurting young people, they were hurting his family.

"On some issues, I do support the death penalty," he said.

"[Young people say] 'it's okay, it's just like a cigarette'. I say 'it's not okay, not in my family'," he said.

Jaycee, 32, was imprisoned for not just using drugs, but for the additional and more serious crime of "providing a shelter for others to abuse drugs", Beijing police said at the time.

When asked about Jaycee's time in prison, Chan said he felt "ashamed" and "shocked" and that he was now more focused on his son.

"I'm more concentrating on him now, used to be just, 'you are a grown man.' But now I find out, he's still a boy," Chan said.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to rip all that bullshit to shreds right now, and since it's just beating the same old long-dead horse it'd be redundant on this site anyway.

I guess instead of the usual rant I'm going to go harm thousands of children by smoking a bowl cuz I'm an evil, immature man-child and that's how I roll.

Grrrrrr....... 

:deadhorse:

Edited by riseabovethought, 07 May 2015 - 11:27 AM.

• MycoDani, Mycomaniac2007, riseabovethought and 8 others like this

#2 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

The really sad thing is Jackie Chan probably believes all the propaganda he is parroting, making him a victim of the same disinformation system that is using him as a tool.

The darkness is vast, but there have been a lot of lights lit at the end of the tunnel lately, as more and more academic study's on psychedelics are getting funded, but the tunnel still seems really long, especially if you live in China or Singapore.

Edited by riseabovethought, 07 May 2015 - 11:27 AM.

• TVCasualty, Mycomaniac2007, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#3 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

I wonder if it's a cultural thing, feeling so strongly against drugs and feeling that the death penalty is an OK thing to administer to drug users and traffickers? Seems like the Asian countries are generally OK with meting out the death penalty for stuff like this.

I admire Jackie Chan for his films and what he can do, because even though I disagree with his statement and I'm sad to learn that he feels this way, I know enough to be able to separate a man from a man's accomplishments in life.

I also wonder if he really does feel this way or if he's just saying this to stay in line with China as a smart political move.

Of course he could have used his son as an example and stated that people who use drugs aren't evil and don't deserve to be killed for their own choices.

Jackie Chan didn't seem to elaborate on what he meant exactly when he said that he's OK with the death penalty for 'some issues'. I'd like to hear him expand a bit more on that.

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

I admire Jackie Chan for his films and what he can do, because even though I disagree with his statement and I'm sad to learn that he feels this way, I know enough to be able to separate a man from a man's accomplishments in life.

I also wonder if he really does feel this way or if he's just saying this to stay in line with China as a smart political move.

Yeah, that's why I called him a "fucking tool" and not an evil bastard or asshole or whatever.

There's still hope of de-tooling oneself if one is merely a dupe but genuinely-evil intent or arrogant assholiness tend to be more resilient against truth and compassion. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but only just barely since there's really no excuse to be so ignorant when all the info is out there for anyone who cares to look (and Chan has spent a considerable amount of time traveling the world outside China so he should definitely know better).

• niemandgeist and Mongo Seta like this

#5 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Im shocked a father could disown his son for such a thing, and cower to the state when he doesnt really have to.  Shows you what he fears.  Sucks a guy like that... still fears China more than loves his son.  Yeah, Im disowning you Jackie Chan.  It is dishonorable deplorable behavior to turn your back on your son while kissing the ass of the status quo, but we still dont kill ya for it.  What your son did was no big deal, but under an oppressive government, he will be excessively punished beyond reason and his life could be ruined.  By kicking him when he is already down, I second the notion that you are a fucking tool.  

• TVCasualty likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

Just playing devil's advocate, but I've been to Singapore, and it's relationship with crime is fucking weird. It's all tied up with respect and image and guilt. I mean gum?!

#7 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,545 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

If you know enough about it to make a qualified statement, then you know too much to make that one.

JC that is, not the previous posters....in case that wasn't clear.

Edited by happy4nic8r, 07 May 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

OK, Jackie. You want the death penalty. Here's a pistol. Shoot your son.

Oh? What? You're a celebrity? You're special and not a hypocrite?

WTF? Do you think you're in America?

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

Happy4n8 1583 posts
CatAttack 1582 posts

Hmmm, lol
But anyhow

Another thing that bugged me about Chan is he is a mouth-piece for commie China, like an ambassador. In a radio interview he was asked about his friendship with human rights activist/artist Ai Weiwei. Chan replies "I never met him"... then they ask Weiwei and he says "we've been goodfriends for years, weird".

http://www.cbc.ca/m/...-chan-1.1361265

Edited by hyphaenation, 07 May 2015 - 12:31 PM.

• TVCasualty, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

Happy4n8 1583 posts
CatAttack 1582 posts

Hmmm, lol

We started at the same time and have a lot on our minds.

;)

Oh and a side note, I'm literally watching a house cat documentary:

http://channel.natio...ld-cat-2086361/

Edited by catattack, 07 May 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Maybe Topia needs a forum called, "the Checkout Lane?"

#12 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

In China the Chinese thinks about the collective group not the individual as we do in the US. So when his son did that it wasn't just on him. He shamed his whole Chinese family.

It's hard to understand as we have all been mostly raised in a me, me, me society. Whereas in China it's about their group as a whole so if one is shamed it shames them all. It's absurd and very tool like to disown your kid. But that's how they roll in China.

Hence free Tibet!
  • TVCasualty, Alder Logs, Juthro and 4 others like this

#13 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Let's hear a round of applause for the once Great Britain.  It was a really swell idea to grow Opium on Plantations in India to swap for Chinese goods and to get back some of the Silver previously traded to China (which the British originally stole from the natives in America).  This not only spawned the Opium Wars, Boxer Rebellion, and Triads such as the Wo Hop To, but provided century's of business opportunities.  I really can not understand why some Chinese have such a negative reaction to drug trafficking.  Silly Chinese, it is really just about freedom and entrepreneurial spirit.  Remember that in China people come and go, the governments come and go, but the culture survives.

P.S. Good point Dani, in China even the children's slides were designed to be shared experiences not individual experiences.  I saw no individual slides back in 1980. They were all at least two people wide. Your position in the group is more important then your individual identity.

Edited by Spooner, 07 May 2015 - 03:28 PM.

• MycoDani, Alder Logs, illigitimateJester and 1 other like this

#14 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

I always take what I hear with a grain of salt... This sounds horrible but things aren't always what they seem.... Im not saying it isnt true but media turns things into something its not, alot of the time lol
:-\

I really hope someone wouldnt outcast and go as far to say that it would be fitting to kill another human for various drug offenses , including his own son. I hope he or whoever said this was exaggerating but im very fuzzy on the death penalty. Is Doing the very same act as the person commiting the crime make things right ... Is it? Or is the world safer ? Good question..

Things and people will always differ. People will always say outlandish and crazy things and believe ideas that arent acceptable to others. The way it sounds does make him sound insensitive and coarse towards his on very child. Ive learned over the years that judgemental thinking on my part is harmfull, it is almost impossible for me to constantly be open minded but this is a constant battle for me to become a better anf kinder human being :-)

#15 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

We also have to understand that this is a cultural issue. We can say oh yea ppl say crazy shit. But in Eastern society they think as a group.

I'm sure Jackie Chan doesn't want to be a tool but that's how he was raised. In that culture it's totally normal just like honor killings in the Middle East to Far East are part of the norm.

Culturally this is totally normal in China. When I was in college a boy from China was like we have more personal freedoms than you do here. I said tell that to the Dali Lama. We all have our culture and values here that may make no sense to others. It's wild to me how things that may make sense to one group may be totally forign and ridiculous to others.

Like when we bombed the Middle East with freedom bombs we thought oh the people will want democracy they want to be free. Um no it didn't work out that way. So my motto is don't mess with other people's culture. You can totally fuck shit up when you do.
  • Mycomaniac2007, Juthro, Spooner and 1 other like this

#16 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

Last time I checked, Jackie Chan's largest movies in the U.S. were the Rush Hour movies with Chris Tucker, whose best movie was Friday......hmmmm

Singapore eh? well also, last time I checked, Singapore caned you for spitting gum on the sidewalk......

And isn't China communist....?

All in all, fuck jackie chan.....

Edited by illigitimateJester, 07 May 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Actually, Iran was doing great with democracy until Mosadegh (sp?) decided that the oil in their country didn't really belong to British Petroleum.  CIA to the rescue.    And the rest, if we could be told it, would be history.  I forget, what were all those countries called, and where were the borders, before the British took it all over?  What the lines are now are what the Brits decided was best (for their business interests).  With them and US joined at the hip, financially speaking, the brand of democracy might not have the best taste to those folks who aren't like us. 

• MycoDani, Juthro and Spooner like this

#18 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

And isn't China communist....?

Modern China has morphed into a Totalitarian Laissez-faire economy which has roots in the previous century's Communism but it is far removed from a truly managed economy under the control of the state.

P.S. To be honest, I am not sure that there is a term that accurately describes the evolving Chinese economy but I am pretty sure it will eat the lunch of "Western Democracy" in the 21st century. When they had their 9 day traffic jam, locals on bicycles sold (at inflated prices) water, noodles, and cigarettes to the folks in the vehicles.  Never let a true crisis go to waste.  

Edited by Spooner, 07 May 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#19 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

I'm glad you backtracked on the Laissez-Faire thing.

Their economy is controlled the same way ours is, by the banks. Whatever is wrong with our economy right now is 5 times worse over there. They exist on borrowed money and construction projects that were obsolete the day they were built an already duplicated 5 times before that. It's a giant credit bubble and it is going to bust just the same as ours.

I'd guess the best term to describe it is kleptocracy via bank/government cronyism. Which is exactly one of the devils devilling us here. Add in a military industrial complex for each of us and there's hardly any room left in the economy for "clean" business.

• MycoDani and Spooner like this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:17 AM

Don't look to be represented by any creation of separate ego looking to get ahead.  We are all made of love.  The farther we stray from that knowledge, the more like the power seekers we will be.  They are us, believing they are not us.

• MycoDani, Mycomaniac2007 and Spooner like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!