Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Carpenter Bees -- HOW do you deal with them/deter them?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

Figured this would be an OK place to ask.

So...

Carpenter bees...

HOW do you deter them or, if deterring doesn't work at all, get rid of them?

I'm talking about the big-ass giant bumblebee kind of carpenter bees.

It IS the season, at least on the East Coast of the USA... Them carpenter bees are doing more work than my old man and I are doing building decks and whatnot! They're beating us out because we've got electric drills and they have only mandibles. (Don't underestimate mandibles!) We drill and drill, but them carpenter bees are always one step ahead of us!

We know at least not to be alarmed with them buzzing around and bumping into us, but they sure do cause us headaches when building things out of wood!

Anybody dealt with them and have some good solutions?

Ideally we'd like to do something that would help us while NOT killing the bees themselves.

• Stoned Angel, Juthro and Amanita Versicula like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

I've been thinking the same thing lately, this is the simplest one that I've found that's non lethal:

http://www.myfrugalh...enter-bee-trap/

• fritshrooms and niemandgeist like this

#3 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

I cant believe how well and how far those bees can drill into a piece od 2x12 or 4x4.. when I was young I was fascinated by them and hornets.

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

I have a pair living in the handrail of my deck. If it weren't already close to time to replace the rail I'd be going homicidal. If you can look past the destruction and know they won't hurt me they're actually cool to have around. Couldn't tell you what their purpose is on this planet other than to make us think :)

My brother in law is a professional bug killer. I'll see what he has to offer in non-lethal treatment.

He says half the phone calls he gets about pests (from lake turtles to coons in the attic) end with "but I don't want you to kill it"

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#5 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

I've been thinking the same thing lately, this is the simplest one that I've found that's non lethal:

http://www.myfrugalh...enter-bee-trap/

Haha! I got a kick out of that. :)

We've just been plugging the holes up as we see them, but then the bees just drill somewhere else. There are a lot of them this year for some reason. Minimal damage, but still somewhat of an annoyance.

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#6 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

hmmm .... love bees

• CatsAndBats and Amanita Versicula like this

#7 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

The deck we're finishing up now, we had to cut off some old iron rails on the patio and there are some holes that go into the aluminum siding on the house from where the railing went. I saw some kind of bee going in and out of there. Too small to be a carpenter bee. Definitely not a mason bee (unless it's a lazy mason bee) because there's nothing to excavate there. Doesn't look like a honey bee, but it's about the same size. I couldn't get a good look at it.

Bees are neat! Even the solitary ones. We don't get a lot of honey bees around here anymore unfortunately. When I was a kid I used to go outside and catch a bunch of them in jars, watch them for a while, and set them free. Now I'm hard-pressed to see more than 5 or so on all of the flowers outside. Honey bees sure love the hell out of spearmint and peppermint flowers, though! Whenever those are blooming we always get a ton (Well, if you can call a dozen a ton.)

• Stoned Angel likes this

#8 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:53 AM

I usually see hornets, wasps and yelow jackets when scraping old shingles off a barn or old wooden siding. Yellow jackets sting like CRAZY! So do wasps but I dont think ive ever been bothered by bumble bees .. huge little buggers and very loud when they go zipping by your ear or drilling.

I never seen what they do with the holes they drill. Just inch deep empty divits

#9 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

I usually see hornets, wasps and yelow jackets when scraping old shingles off a barn or old wooden siding. Yellow jackets sting like CRAZY! So do wasps but I dont think ive ever been bothered by bumble bees .. huge little buggers and very loud when they go zipping by your ear or drilling.

I never seen what they do with the holes they drill. Just inch deep empty divits

And this is why I'm glad we don't do roofing as much any more. Still tear off old siding and whatnot. Man, those old wooden shingles are like a beacon, welcoming all hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps to take up residence inside so that I can get attacked when I rip the old stuff down!

#10 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

I used to see those mud nests behind the clap boards and obviously had to play around knocking them down as a kid lol . They were everywhere and for sure the wood siding attracts them like you said

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

The mud dauber wasps are quite the pacifists.  Stings are not common.  I know I have never felt threatened as an adult.  I feared them when I was a kid, because they were a wasp, and wasp meant hornet.  I never bother their little mud tubes if I can help it.

Stings to humans are very rare, bordering on non-existent.

• Skywatcher and CatsAndBats like this

#12 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,384 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

OK - here's what you have to do ....

1) Get a badmitten racket.  I'm not joking - it's the best weapon for killing the ones you see flying around.  If they're flying too high, hold the racket up, and a lot of times you can lure them to the kill.

2) The females do the boring in the wood and have stingers.  The males buzz around the spot she's doing all the work and scare away other bugs, etc.  If you see 'em buzzing about one spot, kill the flier and stand very still - you will generally be able to hear her chewing your house to shit.

3) Find the entrance hole - a perfectly drilled 1/2 inch hole, usually facing the ground, but not always.  If she's finished her work, there will also be an exit hole - anywhere from three to 24 inches from the first hole, depending on how many seasons that bitch has had to eat your damn house.

4) Buy some carpenter bee poison.  Dilute it and put it in a sprayer.  Spray the shit out of the hole (preferably after killing the old man) - sometimes you'll find the exit hole when you see the spray dripping out ...

5)  DON'T STOP THERE!   The eggs that wood-whore laid in her tunnel are still viable - trust me.  You have to block both entrance and exit with rolled balls of aluminum foil, otherwise the newly hatched fuckers will come right back.  I generally stuff foil in the holes and top that off with some silicone.

6) In the spring, right about now, walk around the house every afternoon - especially if it's sunny - with that racket and stalk those fucking bugs.  They're evil.  I know. 

Hope that helps - I've battled 'em for 8 years ...

:)

soliver

• Calaquendi, TurkeyRanch, Stoned Angel and 2 others like this

#13 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

Would they subside if you hosed them down? I know I've done that, and can't remember if it worked or just pissed them off. It wouldn't be premanent but it maybe would have them buzz of for a while.

#14 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

A long, long time ago we showed my uncle the carpenter bee holes...

He was absolutely CONVINCED that we were fucking with him, because, to him, the carpenter bee borings looked like holes drilled into the awning/decking by a power drill. He couldn't comprehend how an organism that has existed for hundreds of thousands of years or more, far longer than humans, who only recently invented the electric drill (or hell, the push drill!) could do what humans can do.

Funny times.

• Soliver and TurkeyRanch like this

#15 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,384 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

The first time I saw the holes, I thought "why the hell did someone drill a hole here, and why are there bees in there now?"

Crazy.  Hence 'carpenter' bees.

Too bad they can't do something more productive, like furniture. 

Nature.  Go figure.

soliver

• TurkeyRanch and niemandgeist like this

#16 Calaquendi

Calaquendi

Reflection

• OG VIP
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:56 AM

Funny - I was just scoping out possible solutions to this entomofucking invasion...these  bastards must have been planning this assault all winter because they've launched their offensive in a simultaneous pincer-assault that was really quite an impressive maneuver... daily tasks on these quiet spring mornings have become dangerous  operations where I must now reconfigure my forces and make hasty adjustments regarding all logistical procedures. They got the jump on us early...we lost several good men to PTSD - some poor fellows, young and fresh faced recruits, have even gone AWOL. 

The heaviest assault came even this morning, after a squad armed with light brooms and miscellaneous toxic aerosols took first patrol the commander reported back that things were quiet with no enemy movement detected. Forward scouts from a special forces outfit trained specifically in counter-bee ops occupied key positions around the perimeter and were tasked with overnight surveillance. These reports also came back negative. Morale was high among most but me and a few seasoned  vetrans of previous campaigns where bloody chaotic bug-man combat ensued...we were not cozened by the bright quiet ante-meridian calm...something didn't feel quite right. It was TOO damned calm. Intelligence reports from the previous days patrols indicated heavy enemy troop movement, but could not provide headquarters with accurate data on exactly where these unholy creatures were massing their strength... they've burrowed intricate labyrinthine tunnels all through the goddamned deck and the fucking new deck by the pool. Insolent bastards! What in the name of my smelly crotch were they doing? One thing for sure...they didn't acquiesce - our demands for their honorable surrender has repeatedly gone unanswered. Some crap-dick junior officer actually tried to tell me I was incorrect after overhearing my report to Bee-command that our attempts at diplomacy have gone completely ignored...and we must preemptively strike soon. The eavesdropper had the audacity to tell me that since these were BUGS - that there'd be no possible way our communications would ever be apprehended or understood by them, because they are INSECTS. Smartass kid...I put him in the point squad for his insubordination...let him think his way through an engagement the fucker...this is serious business people. Our very yard has been wantonly invaded by an enemy with highly sophisticated shit like wings, stingers, and god knows what other high technology -we've yet to capture a specimen in an uncrushed state to reverse engineer them, nor have any prisoners talked...beyond that incessant bzzzzbzzzbzzz babble they speak among themselves. 

REPORT: God...forgive me...I sent that cocky kid out on point to teach him a lesson...well...a lesson he got. At 0933 he and his squad were en route to base camp when the god damned sky opened up - they'd just passed the newly build pool deck...fresh scented lumber sweetened the air, but right there was the ambuscade...these clever wood-boring demon flyers came out in force like it was fucking pearl harbor - my guys were sitting ducks...musta been an entire regiment of these buzzing yellow black heathens zipping and diving and lord, they tore us to ribbons. Guys in their terror ran smack into each other, two were knocked out cold, another stubbed his toe real bad and still more dispersed in all directions panic stricken and leaderless...

An envoy from Pest Control sent his liaison to my office lawnchair with some of the latest intelligence our deep cover operatives had managed to smuggle out - 'carpenter bees -also known as wood-bees' read the title page...the scientific names of the rare species my outfit engaged is, " Max-pestis aggressiva/ insectus non-provokum" - lotta mumbo jumbo to me, what the fuck does that even mean? Our boys just call em cocksuckers, but, "Harrassorus stingums" are also said to be among their cadre and these are the feared elite motherfuckers, some of you civilians might call em wasps/yellowjackets/hornets - all the same to we who fight these enigmatic entities...they refuse to talk, no negotiations have ever borne fruit, all out communications go unanswered, you'd think the damned things illiterate!

My orders just came down from the Top last night. My mom said I better get rid of the damned things before her pool opens. Half my detail is wounded, awol or shell shocked but I'm fit..and I have carte blanche to do whatever it takes to correcxt this issue stat. I'm breaking out the big guns kiddies. Good ole fashioned fire never fails. Low tech, high intensity and lots of fun too...I'll pick two of my least injured and least chickenshit bros to helo me smoke a few joints then we'll make old-school homemade napalm just like in high school...I got this, I got their number. Not a goddamned egg will be left by the time this letter is posted online - if you're reading this now, be sure of one thing: every damned leg and multifaceted eye of these fuzzy flying alien fucks is at this moment no more than a heap of incinerated bug-guts smouldering on what used to be my moms wooden deck encircling her pool. We may have overdone the napalm thing a bit but burnt lumber is an apt grave for seven hundred enemy corpses and I pray thet they sent out emergency sos pheromone signals to their little bitchass friends cause now I got this dialed in.

Freinds, crazy ass psychonautical pimptas, hot chicks, and even weird lurkers...learn from this encounter, you never have to be held hostage in your own yard or porch or deck, and do not ever try to negotiate with these freaks, they act like they can't even understand the simplest terms you offer them. They're insolent   and arrogant motherfuckers who'll take up residence in your summertime groove and then dive-bomb you and your old lady for no reason -they like the sport of it. But you CAN win, FIRE is the amswer, fucking motherfucking fire fixes many problems.

Sorry so long but this needed to be put out there, you don't have to loose a handful of ten year old soldiers like we did...be decisive be ruthless but above all be handy with a zippo...

God bless you and God bless naked ladies. ~Cal

• Mycomaniac2007, Soliver, TurkeyRanch and 3 others like this

#17 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

The first time I saw the holes, I thought "why the hell did someone drill a hole here, and why are there bees in there now?"

Nature.  Go figure.

soliver

I blame it on the lack of a reliable and stable family structure when they're growing up. Carpenter bees are solitary. They don't live in colonies like honey bees or wasps do. Without having caring parents and a large extended family to properly guide them they just don't have anyone pushing them to go into trade school to make the most of their talents, so they go around fucking shit up.

I mean, look at what Calaquendi has to deal with. Many good men lost, all because these little bees grew up in a shitty non-supervised environment. And now they're forming gangs!

Edited by niemandgeist, 15 May 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• Calaquendi and Soliver like this

#18 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,384 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

Nature.  Go figure.

soliver

I blame it on the lack of a reliable and stable family structure when they're growing up. Carpenter bees are solitary. They don't live in colonies like honey bees or wasps do. Without having caring parents and a large extended family to properly guide them they just don't have anyone pushing them to go into trade school to make the most of their talents, so they go around fucking shit up.

I mean, look at what Calaquendi has to deal with. Many good men lost, all because these little bees grew up in a shitty non-supervised environment. And now they're forming gangs!

It takes a village to kill a carpenter bee infestation.  Or raise a child.  I forget which one.  Or maybe I got 'em confused. 

That would explain why I can't find my kids and I'm surrounded by wood bores?

Shit - I gotta go...

soliver

• Calaquendi likes this

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,183 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

I may be the odd man out but I HATE carpenter bees. They drill and drill and ruin my deck and swings.... I have a tennis racket that I keep on the porch I nickned "Mjolnir" or "hammer of the bees". Don't get me wrong I usually love bees, especially honey bees, but these flying drills drive me nuts. Another thing I do is have a can of " great stuff" foam insulation. I see the hole, wait till night, spay in some raid followed by the insulation. Cutt off the excess the next day and paint over. Done.
  • Soliver likes this

#20 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,384 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

I may be the odd man out but I HATE carpenter bees. They drill and drill and ruin my deck and swings.... I have a tennis racket that I keep on the porch I nickned "Mjolnir" or "hammer of the bees". Don't get me wrong I usually love bees, especially honey bees, but these flying drills drive me nuts. Another thing I do is have a can of " great stuff" foam insulation. I see the hole, wait till night, spay in some raid followed by the insulation. Cutt off the excess the next day and paint over. Done.

The last time (it's been several years) I used 'great stuff,' it was a single use deal - once you popped the can, ya had to use the whole fucking thing in 10 minutes or it'd brick in the container ... if they've changed the formula I'm buying some tonight - it truly was great stuff, but I had to plan my projects accordingly .. 

cool idea  :)

soliver

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!