Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Carpenter Bees -- HOW do you deal with them/deter them?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,180 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, that stuff will brick the can unless you pull the entire sprayer out. Then you gotta clean the tube and thing with solvent. You can get maybe 2 to 3 uses if your lucky.

#22 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,047 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

I may be the odd man out but I HATE carpenter bees. They drill and drill and ruin my deck and swings.... I have a tennis racket that I keep on the porch I nickned "Mjolnir" or "hammer of the bees". Don't get me wrong I usually love bees, especially honey bees, but these flying drills drive me nuts. Another thing I do is have a can of " great stuff" foam insulation. I see the hole, wait till night, spay in some raid followed by the insulation. Cutt off the excess the next day and paint over. Done.

The last time (it's been several years) I used 'great stuff,' it was a single use deal - once you popped the can, ya had to use the whole fucking thing in 10 minutes or it'd brick in the container ... if they've changed the formula I'm buying some tonight - it truly was great stuff, but I had to plan my projects accordingly .. 

cool idea  :)

soliver
You just have to get extra straws/dispensers or whatever you call the tip that directs the Great Stuff if you want to get multiple uses out of a can. The stuff sets up in the straw and it's no good after that.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#23 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

22 with rat shot

• Soliver likes this

#24 fritshrooms

fritshrooms

Fungus Amongus

• Expired Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

http://www.myfrugalh...enter-bee-trap/

This.

Another way to deter them is to paint the underside of any wooden overhangs a sky blue color. The bees/hornets will think it's the sky and not nest there.

Edited by fritshrooms, 17 May 2015 - 07:47 PM.

• niemandgeist and CatsAndBats like this

#25 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,360 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

I've been seeing a ton of them this year. Starting to wonder if we're at the peak of the Carpenter Bee fertility cycle or something.

Also, got fishing last week and all the bass we caught were VERY heavy for their size which leads me to believe they'll be putting on length and girth real soon. We've seen it before, every xxx number of years they get very big in our favorite fishing hole - like 17 3/4 inches is the average fish. The following year there are quite a few less of the bigger fish. Then a series of 3ish years with only small fish and not too many of them.

So, got cycles on my brain.

• fritshrooms and CatsAndBats like this

#26 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

22 with rat shot

I have several .22's - and a lot of rat shot ... I've considered this option A LOT in the past, but have always deferred to reason, although the idea of popping those damn things with my long-barreled Ruger .22 single-action revolver is pretty damn amusing ...

:)

soliver

#27 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

its fun

#28 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

So here is a naive question..................

I am in S,Cali, and we have the big shiny all black carpenter bees. The only thing I have ever seen them go for is the Willow tree, and rotten wood. They have never bored into eaves or solid wood on the house, so I am actually kind of fond of them.

Are there different varieties that are more destructive as you have all described? Some of you have described a real problem and I am wondering why they would be so destructive in some places, yet be mellow and non destructive here?

(Serious question, no laid back California jokes please..............)

#29 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,360 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

I can't tell by looking the difference between a carpenter bee and the other pollen collector. Maybe the one's you're seeing in the willow are OTHER?

#30 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

This is what we have here.

Carpenter bee.jpg

They feast on wisteria when in bloom, and also the Somniferum Poppy pollen. They do bore into the soft willow, and I have found their holes in termite and dry rot wood in the trash pile on the side of the house. 

Never however in the wood on the house or any Ceder or redwood decking.

#31 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

So here is a naive question..................

I am in S,Cali, and we have the big shiny all black carpenter bees. The only thing I have ever seen them go for is the Willow tree, and rotten wood. They have never bored into eaves or solid wood on the house, so I am actually kind of fond of them.

Are there different varieties that are more destructive as you have all described? Some of you have described a real problem and I am wondering why they would be so destructive in some places, yet be mellow and non destructive here?

(Serious question, no laid back California jokes please..............)

Must be a different insect with similar appearance ... the ones we have drill (literally) 3/8 inch holes into siding or whatever wood is around and off the ground, spawn, wash, rinse, repeat.

The first time I saw the holes, I figured the previous owner had installed some siding that had ... randomly drilled ends?  But no - it was #$%^&*(  carpenter bees, a.k.a wood-bores.  The holes are really quite impressive - you'd be hard put to make a neater hole with a drill bit - don't ask me HOW they do it - I've yet to see one operate somehow - maybe they work at night (?) but then again, when was the last time you sat in a lawn chair and studied your siding for 80 hours straight on a spring day?

Then again - don't answer that.  I don't wanna know.

soliver

• Skywatcher likes this

#32 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:09 AM

These little guys ? They make alot of noise when you have a bunch drilling away at your deck...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130518bumblebeedamage.JPG
  • 3-25-13 023.jpg
  • Carpenter-Bee.png

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 11 June 2015 - 12:12 AM.

• Soliver and niemandgeist like this

#33 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

Egads, how I despise those bastards.  The only good thing about 'em is the sound they make when you hit 'em dead center with a badmitten racquet, especially if half of their fuzzy body gets stuck in the strings, and the other half hits a bystander ...

soliver

#34 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

I just noticed I have some it these burrowing into the soffit by my porch. Good thing this is a rental!

Moving thread from General Discussions ~~~~~~~> Back to the Land.

#35 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

I had a bunch of them in an overhang outside my office and besides the many holes they made, they are aggressive and whether they can sting or not, (I believe they can), I don't like bees that don't make honey or pollenate flowers. 

I was doing some body work and had some mixed Bondo and figured I'd seal up their holes and at least make them drill new ones.

They were inside and the smell made them go nuts.  It set up so fast they couldn't do anything but buzz and buzz for hours. I guess they couldn't drill their way out with the time they had left.

No new ones came after that, at least until I moved.

#36 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

$(KGrHqVHJ!0FGnF(4q-pBRz,k7wWJg~~60_35.J

no pesticide

this also can repair the holes as it is sandable AND paint/stainable I believe.

@happy, they don't sting, plus I find that most stinging bugs will leave you alone if you leave them alone..

* I would like to go on the record stating that I prefer the non-lethal options, as we need all pollinators (especially native), that we can get, considering the indirect war being waged on honey bees in hopes of killing other pests on a large scale.

Edited by catattack, 12 June 2015 - 01:53 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!