#1 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Im going to share how i prep my Whole Oats. Many that i witness using oats typicaly follow some sort of a no prep tek and although i have had success, it is my least favorite way of preparing them. Oats or any similar grains or seed such as wbs, rye, corn (cracked or whole) and even grass seed can be prepared via a steep method. Sorry popcorn lovers but steeping corn doesnt work, or at least not for me within a 2 hour time window.

I did not create this method of hydrating grains i just execute the process microbe style.

You need some oats. I use Whole Oats that come complemented with whole corn, twigs, straw/hay and on occassion a few dried up mouse remains (i think) and none of which ever posed a problem for me just like sunflower seeds in my wbs never did. Needless to say these oats are not Race Horse grade but work fine and there is no need in paying a premium price IMO.

Get enough water on a heat source that you will need, you want to bring to a rolling boil.

While waiting on the water i measure out my grains by pouring into a 10 quart measuring tub that i fill to the rim. I then add the 10 quarts of dry oats into a 5 gallon nylon mesh bag. Oats will expand 1.5 times its volume during a 2 hour steep thus leaving me with 45 quarts of hydrated grains.

20150511_122845.jpg

Once in the bags i twist the top and apply a releasable cable tie to secure the bag tightly keeping grains from floating out during the steep. It also adds a handle that makes handling the bag throughout the process.

20150511_123545.jpg

Once the bags are secured closed its time to rinse some of the dirt and other impurities off of the grain. Today i will be outdoors using a garden hose but a sink sprayer will work also. I spray down the bags for a few minutes each. I do not rinse until the water runs clear but instead i consider my grains rinsed well enough when i pick the bag up off of the ground and the water draining is slightly murky versus the brown when i first start.

20150511_123657.jpg

I toss my bag into a 5 gallon bucket.

20150511_124306.jpg

This is optional but i then take a few scoops (by hand) of gypsum and toss down in top of the bags and pour 1 quart of house hold bleach into the bucket.

20150511_124526.jpg

When the water is boiling carefully remove the vessel from the heat source and pour in enough water so that there is at least 2 inches of water above the sack. I wear thermal gloves that i used to wear when i was a Fire Fighter.

20150511_141601.jpg
20150511_125729.jpg

I then carefully grab the cable tie handle and pick the bag up out of the water and then lower it back in as if i were dipping a tea bag. This helps agitate the solution and the water should look like coffee with a creamer.

20150511_125740.jpg

I place a lid on the bucket and wait 2 hours.

After 2 hours is up i open the lids the steep water now looks like tea. Assuming you didnt add bleach you can make a lc and or nutrient rich agar using just the steep water or it can be supplemented with dextrose to your liking or current need. Give it a try!

20150511_145052.jpg

I rinse the grain again to remove the bleach, starch and excess gypsum.

20150511_145158_HDR.jpg 20150511_145447.jpg

I toss it up on the central air unit and let drip for 30 minutes.

20150511_151839.jpg

After 30 minutes i load the grain into bags. This project i am making up several 5 quart bags for working spawn, a few 2 quart bags for secondary master spawn and a few pint jars for primary masters. I will inoculate the masters with agar plugs and expand via glc to secondaries that also are used for GLC purposes.

20150511_153323.jpg 20150511_160809.jpg 20150511_160818.jpg 20150511_160813.jpg

Once the bags are loaded i roll the bag to push all the air out. I use .5 micron filter patch bags and they say you cant impulse seal these bags before you PC them but you can as long as you get all the air out. Once the air is out i impulse seal them.

20150511_181603.jpg 20150511_181909.jpg
20150511_183805.jpg

Once sealed i place them in tyvek envelope, this isnt necessary with the .5 filters but im using them until they are gone. Once in the envelope i place a releasable cable ties and load into the pc.

20150511_184804.jpg
20150511_184348.jpg

I pack hand towels around the bags to prevent the bags from touching the side walls of the pc and melting. I learned this the hard way!

20150511_185916.jpg

I lay another bag on top and pack towels around it and then place a ceramic plate on top and close the lid. I PC for 2 hours because of the volume of the bags.

20150511_190347.jpg

Finished bag of oats. Place somewhere for 24 hours so that the bags can self inflate making them easier to work with.

20150511_190845.jpg 20150512_090941.jpg

I will share how i use bags as glc once the secondaries are ready. For now all of the oats will receive myc water from masters.

I like to thank my buddy ToRn2bits for turning me onto bags. It sure beats washing all them dang jars. This would have been 55+ quart size jars assuming they were filled to 75%.

Hope this helps someone.

Ok there is the photo down there ⬇, the handful of gypsum that is supposed to be up there ⬆.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150511_124408.jpg
  • 20150512_091004.jpg

Edited by wharfrat, 28 April 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• whitethumb, Hash_Man, Gloid and 13 others like this

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

I've been using the steep tek for years for my WBS.

I know it worked good when I added some left over oats to my WBS and steeped it, but I have yet to try oats all by themselves.

• Microbe and Heirloom like this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

excellent write up.. i will have to try it. i have never used oats,  i can't see the grains being fully hydrated if i used wheat berries. those oats seem thinner. whats your take on wheat berries turning out?

• Microbe likes this

#4 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

Marked, archive material.

Good job microbe! Well presented.
  • Sidestreet and Microbe like this

#5 papa_legba

papa_legba

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 365 posts

Donator

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

sweet write up. love the tyvek and cable ties. with the tyvek it will keep it clean for transportation to clean area.

which filter patch bags are you using from unicorn as there many types of 5 filters?

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 12 May 2015 - 11:29 PM.
Merged posts

• Microbe likes this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

sweet write up. love the tyvek and cable ties. with the tyvek it will keep it clean for transportation to clean area.

which filter patch bags are you using from unicorn as there many types of 5 filters?

Type 14A .5 micron bags. They offer a 5 micron bag also that is designed for optimal FAE for fruiting. You can fruit in the .5 micron bags also but evaporation is almost nonexistent taking forever to pin.
  • shiitakegrower likes this

#7 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

excellent write up.. i will have to try it. i have never used oats, i can't see the grains being fully hydrated if i used wheat berries. those oats seem thinner. whats your take on wheat berries turning out?

Wheat berries should turn out fine. You may need to increase your steep time accordingly to your preference. I like my grains a tad bit dry for quicker spawn runs.

#8 torn2bits

torn2bits

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

Microbe cool pictorial man....

Cue deserves credit here as this is as close to his steep tek as anything else although you made it Micro's, good job man keep on trucking..ToRn
  • Cue and Microbe like this

#9 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

Type 14A .5 micron bags. They offer a 5 micron bag also that is designed for optimal FAE for fruiting. You can fruit in the .5 micron bags also but evaporation is almost nonexistent taking forever to pin.

You can speed up the pinning by manually scooshing the air out of the bag slowly to exchange the air with the .5's, but it is work, and probably messes up the filter patch to some degree.
  • Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Love oats... to eat, for agar and spawn! The first no soak/simmer grain tek I remember is Fahsters "Quick step rye" tek. Good stuff. Excellent writeup 77! https://mycotopia.ne...-step-rye-prep/.
  • MLBjammer, TurkeyRanch, shiitakegrower and 3 others like this

#11 papa_legba

papa_legba

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 365 posts

Donator

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

what's the apparatus on your jar lid?

Attached Thumbnails

• post-143326-0-98697500-1431469847.jpg

#12 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:55 AM

what's the apparatus on your jar lid?

Another no tilt glc lid design. It works great but sure is ugly.

#13 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:59 AM

Microbe cool pictorial man....

Cue deserves credit here as this is as close to his steep tek as anything else although you made it Micro's, good job man keep on trucking..ToRn

I mentioned in another post somewhere that CUE turned me on to the steep tek. I just add bleach and gypsum while CUE uses pickling lime, a lot of it.
  • shiitakegrower and Heirloom like this

#14 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

You can speed up the pinning by manually scooshing the air out of the bag slowly to exchange the air with the .5's, but it is work, and probably messes up the filter patch to some degree.

Im actually going to use my air pump. I have some luer lock hose barb fittings that i will will attach a 12 gauge needle tip to and poke it in the side of the bag. I will probably end up adding another filter patch to the bag also. I will share once i get it set up. I wont be doing a whole lot right now and for sure wont be setting up this supplemental FAE at this time as im about to move, hopefully. I put i bid in on a house and if the bank accepts then its go time and will be moving. Once i get settled in i will get it up and running and will share.
  • TurkeyRanch, shiitakegrower and CatsAndBats like this

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

Good luck brotherman! 

• Microbe likes this

#16 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

6 days after inoculation and bags are ready for the shake.IMG_20150519_183944019.jpg
  • papa_legba likes this

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

I just researched the shit out of straw.. your thread came up. Anything new with that?

Edited by hyphaenation, 19 May 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#18 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

I just researched the shit out of straw.. your thread came up. Anything new with that?

My easy straw tub thread? That project is long complete. It was a straw tub prep and not a grow log. Im do for a actual grow log. Maybe i will turn this thread into a grow log. Im super busy right now with work and buying a house im not sure i could create a quality, detailed grow log right now though.

If you have any questions or want my opinions, advice and etc just let me no. You might have to @microbe77 me so that i get an alert.

Edited by Microbe77, 19 May 2015 - 09:52 PM.

• shiitakegrower likes this

#19 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

@catattack

If you have any questions or want my opinions, advice and etc just let me no. You might have to @microbe77 me so that i get an alert.

#20 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

I was running a little low on WBS so I bought a bag of Oats to add to it so I would have enough for a large jar run.

50# bag of racing horse whole (they also had cracked) oats cost $14.95.

Better than paying almost $20.00 for a 40# bag of WBS, especially since the oats expand more.

I currently have 42 quarts of 50/50 wbs/oats inocculated with Texas Yellow Cap Cubensis, and I still have grain left over (ran out of jars) destined for the freezer. Where as, usually I would have not gotten more than 35 jars out of what seems to be the same amount of pure WBS.

I didn't use any pickling lime or even rinse the grain and I still didn't have any clumping issues even when I left one run to cool over night in the PC.

Next Cubensis jar run will be 100% Oats done with Cue's steep tek.

Hopefully everything will work out good, so I will be able to try the oats with Pans later this summer.

• Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!