#1 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

I am under siege by bears.

They have been back two nights in a row (see page 7 of my farm thread). So far they have eaten a bag of crab meal I use for soil amendments, gotten into my tools and trash, created a huge mess, and chewed on Bev's car. They stole the cheese out of the car that I was planning on eating for breakfast. . .

If I just had ducks and chickens still, I would tolerate stuff like this, but the emu are a major concern, they are my friends and pets, it is not acceptable to lose them. I love bears, but I don't want my lady to get surprised in the dark by one, or have them mess with my bird family. Time to take action.

I have some jugs of my urine that I keep as a scent deterrent for predators, and I sprayed a ton of it around last night, but they still came by, didn't seem to phase them.

Aside from locking up all my trash and leaving no food outside, does anyone have any ideas? I would like to have some non lethal options. If you have ideas, post them quick, I may be waiting up with a gun tonight (last thing I want to do, but it may be necessary).
  • wildedibles likes this

#2 illigitimateJester

illigitimateJester

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

you could go crazy and spray capsaicin all over everything outside....puree some hot peppers(hottest you can find), mix with water, filter, then spray.

Or you could go goonies on them and set up some type of boobie traps that include fireworks and trip wires.....

Edited by illigitimateJester, 24 May 2015 - 01:24 PM.

• TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

post a life sized photo of Hillary Clinton

• coorsmikey, TurkeyRanch, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

Remember, when people remind you that bears "are more scared of you than you are of them," those people are full of shit. I unloaded three 12 ga. shotgun blasts into the air about 15 feet from a full-grown black bear who was eating moldy blackberry preserves out of our compost pile and all she did was look up at me (while still smacking her lips; it was tasty stuff!) then go right back to eating. Once the cubs started coming with her I just stayed the hell away.

Unfortunately, the most dangerous bears are the ones habituated to raiding trashcans or accessible sources of people-food; those have been shown to be more aggressive/less fearful of people if disturbed.

Our problem went away when our neighbors shot them, unfortunately (the neighbors my gf and I waged a years-long guerrilla war against since they had a problem respecting property lines, laws, and common decency).

However, before that happened I'd been working on a tripwire-actuated can of bear-strength pepper spray. I don't know if it would work since we never got a chance to test it, but I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't. After getting hit with that a few times (got to move it around or make several) I imagine a bear would look for an easier/less-spicy meal.

Or get a cat, though I can't tell if chasing off bears requires a super-badass cat or merely a stupid one. Decide for yourself:

[Direct Link]

Edited by TVCasualty, 24 May 2015 - 02:15 PM.

• Sidestreet, Mycomaniac2007, Coopdog and 5 others like this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Almost forgot: To deter cougars, just post a sign that says "There are no boxes of wine on these premises" and they won't come near it.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, TurkeyRanch and 5 others like this

#6 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

I once tried hooking up an electric pressure washer to a security light motion detector to get some really pesky squirrels.

I had it going, but the stupid light detector part kept going off when they would come an put an acorn over the electric eye...lol

Seriously try a pressure washer right at them, I bet before they charge and eat you, it will get their attention.

If you weren't there, what are they going to do?

• wildedibles likes this

#7 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

In this instance... A firearm might be the easiest and most effective without your livestock or anybody else getting hurt, besides the culprits. You could try something like rocksalt .... I dont know how effective this is. I dont like that things come to this level with their habitat being wiped away or just having available food but if it has to be done then so be it. I have never been threatened by a bear but know someone mauled by a wild cat. If this is your area, protect what you have . Good luck and try not to get hurt. Head shot , a bear wont go down if angry unless its a dead center heart or head shot. Dont mean to be graphic.

Im assuming they will keep coming back if theres food, animals to eat... Otherwise I would try any other means. This wont deter other animals from coming and I have no idea how you would do so... Hopefully someone else has a surefire way of keeping them away without shooting them but I dont see it. Eat the bear if you do shoot it, they are great table fare or give it to someone who will. It would also be difficult for me to shoot an animal if I didnt intend on eating it.. if it has a cub, I dont think I could. The cat... They usually will stay away but bears will keep coming back. Do youhave a dog?

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 24 May 2015 - 04:13 PM.

• TurkeyRanch and wildedibles like this

#8 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

Chain some dogs out there.

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

I have seen dogs chase bears away that be my suggestion and it would work for a cougar too or any animals like raccoons skunks etc.... check out the pound tho cause you could find an older dog that can already protect livestock sometimes city folk get dogs that should be on a farm and have to give them up cause they are not meant to be stuck inside all day bored and you might be able to find one that is fixed already

• Mycomaniac2007 and TurkeyRanch like this

#10 Trippy_Toes

Trippy_Toes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 217 posts

Donator

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Sorry you're having to deal with that TR. I believe flame throwers are legal in all 50 states. Check that out just as a deterrent.

But seriously: maybe subterfuge, it may cost you more than you are willing to spend but may save your emu's, also there is a sustainability issue for this idea. Elsewhere, close by, give them what they want until maybe you can have a park services unit remove them idk...good luck

Edited by Trippy_Toes, 24 May 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,065 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

I just dance with them!!!! I love dancing Bears! If you're all sweaty while dancing try burning some patchouli. Then feed them some raspberries. Oh and put the birds away! If all that don't work, then play some dead from 66, the Bears seem to to prefer Midland and Welnick over Pigpen.
  • Mycomaniac2007, TurkeyRanch and wildedibles like this

#12 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

I have seen dogs chase bears away that be my suggestion and it would work for a cougar too or any animals like raccoons skunks etc.... check out the pound tho cause you could find an older dog that can already protect livestock sometimes city folk get dogs that should be on a farm and have to give them up cause they are not meant to be stuck inside all day bored and you might be able to find one that is fixed already

Would need to find a dog that wouldn't kill chickens, hard to do. 2/3 of my neighbors who own dogs have lost one or had their dogs attacked in the last few years by cougar, apparently they are easy prey for the big cats, but I know they work well to keep bear away sometimes.

My elderly neighbor was watering her garden two springs ago mid day, and a cougar jumped out of a tree and tackled her dog, 20 feet from her. She sprayed it with the hose, and it let the dog go. The dog took off to the house, cougar and woman in pursuit. The dog went in the back door, and the cougar followed. So did my neighbor. The dog hid under the bed in their bedroom, and the cougar couldn't get it, and ran into the closet.

My apparently very brave neighbor went into the room too, and got her .45 out of the bedside table like 10 feet from this cat, and unloaded into the closet. True story.

I don't feel like I am encroaching on their habitat, I am surrounded by literally millions of acres of empty forest. Plenty of other places for Mr Bear and Mr Cougar to chill besides my 3-4 acres.
  • Mycomaniac2007, Coopdog, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:51 AM

Ya hun but when they start breeding the new or weaker bears and such get pushed further into society for an easy meal

ya dogs seem to like chickens too but you ....I have a hearding dog and she would have been great on a farm we had guinney pigs and she would heard them with her nose in the cage lol just saying some dogs wouldnt hurt the birds but it is as much of a gamble

How about a couple of geese thoes suckers are mean mean mean ;) very protective ;)

a few years ago my brother had his house broken into twice by a bear trashed the place and riped the door off the fridge to get the food wait a min my brother has more beer in his fridge than food ;) lol but just saying if you put the emu's away in a pen or something the bear could still get inside ..........I hate killing anything but there is a reason there is laws about protecting the animals on a farm with a gun bud hoping that someone could trap the bear and the cougar instead but you gotta do what you gotta do sounds lie you have enough of the bears  and cougars around that it wouldnt hurt the population of them one bit

If I lived closer I would let you borrow my doggy that was peeking out of the fence there ;) she likes birds and tiny animals but she has this weird thing with cats if the cat doesnt like dogs she will hurt them if they try and hurt her we had to break her and my one cat up a few times

original idea u had in your first post keep all easy food away locked up in a way they cannot get into it ....you compost but where does your meat and wheat scraps go into the garbage i bet if you have them gettting into your garbage too take these scraps and put them far into the woods around you take it far enough away might be annoying walking it this far away but if they want an easy meal they would go to this spot instead of near the farm maybe??

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#14 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

In case anybody was wondering what an emu is....a very large bird, about the size of an ostrich

Attached Thumbnails

• Blue Emu.JPG

#15 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:35 AM

That is very sweet of you wilde, I could use a good guardian dog right now! I need one, but dogs are such a commitment! I don't know why it seems like such a big deal, I already have two emu that can live to be over 30, and I am not planning on getting rid of them any time soon . . .

Even out here where there is tons of space and ample forage, deer, and fish, the mothers with cubs or weaker bears can be expected to go after the easy meal, which is most often a trash can. This is especially true during cub season. I am nowhere near any real human development, me and my neighbors are the only several trash cans for miles in any direction.

I rinse my food containers before tossing them, but after looking at the trash today and seeing what they chewed on the most, apparently I forgot about stuff like styrofoam meat packages. They also chewed on tissues, Bev has had allergies and the bears ate lots of her used tissues, and chewed them and spit them out. I will be composting all tissues from now on. I need a worm box, worms love tissues.

My meat scraps get fed to the chickens, remaining bones tossed in the river. The chickens get the veggie waste and coffee grounds, and promptly dispose of it. Waste they can't eat like onion ends and skins, avocado peels, garlic skins or things I know they don't like I put in my bird compost piles, which quickly turn them to mush.

I will be super careful of my garbage from now on, much more so than before. I was an idiot to leave the crab meal out, and for not being diligent enough about my trash. Lesson learned.

I am getting sleepy, but positioned so I can hear the birds mad the beer bottle alarms, so hopefully if they come I will wake up.
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan :) ya tissues eh ....at the dump hubby seen a bear eating a baby diaper man oh man what they would try and eat!! yeck ...but ya they be after the salt or something in the tissues composting them sounds good

My mom is good at rinsing her cans too but she has a coyote that is coming around to lick them out or to go after her compost so she had to take it far away from the house :) the momma has a baby now cute but now there is more coyotes around my moms then there was last year....

My dog is super cute I live in town and we have deer that come in and check out peoples gardens anyway the momma deer leaves the baby in my yard beside my dog fence cause if anyone is coming down the road my dog will bark warning momma that someone is coming (I have never herd of a deer using a dog as a baby sitter b4 lmao)

Edited by wildedibles, 25 May 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#17 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

We had some really aggressive raccoons  that the previous owners apparently fed, or at least they fed their animals and the raccoons got the  schedule.

They are the same family as bears and though they are a lot smaller, they do not back down and give the same attitude.

Easiest thing was to stop feeding them.

They eventually left and no sign of them at all this year.

When we got our new trash containers they had bungees all over them for ??some animal.

I hear that some places they charge you extra if they have to get out and unlock them, they don't here.

I'm glad they take it away, we used to just bury the garbage every so often. 

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,416 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

If you can get your hands on a good bear resistant garbage can, they work well, but they are not cheap (over $300 last time I looked). rock salt and other types of "non lethal" defense are most likely not legal in your area. I would advice using pepper spray around places it (the bear) likes to hang out (near garbage sheds, around garbage cans, etc.). I would also advice talking to your local fish and game guys, they may well have good advice and insight for your area and situation.

The sad thing is, often when a bear get programed as to where to find an easy meal there is no going back. I hope that you can discourage it, and that it doesn't escalate.

Good luck, and stay safe.

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

For clarification, bears and raccoons do not belong to the same "family."   They do belong to the same suborder of Carnivora, that of Caniformia, or doglike, which extends mostly to having non-retractable claws.  This simply meaning they are closer to dogs than to cats (Feliformia). 

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Procyonidae

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear(Ursidae)

• Coopdog likes this

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,364 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

You know, I can conceive of a way to make a Roomba-like roving robot (a true ground-based "drone") that takes care of running off predators as well as trespassers.

I've been reading a lot about microcontrollers and electronics in general lately in hopes of making something similar (except passive and not autonomous, e.g. a wireless night vision camera mounted on a FPV* remote-controlled car chassis). It'd be for checking around my property late at night without having to get out of bed. Outfitting it to use active methods for repelling critters instead of just being able to spot them and making it able to "patrol" autonomously would probably be great selling points for a retail version that I'd really enjoy building a crowd-funded prototype of. 

And as far as I can tell, every single component necessary to make it is readily available from multiple sources and most if not all are dropping in price quickly as the technology develops, improves, and shrinks (like thermal imagers, for example). 

So all I need now is a crowd with funds! [I'll keep y'all posted, but don't anybody hold yer breath since turning blue is only cool if you're a mushroom]

*"First-Person View," so the idea is to use a TV or smartphone to drive it.

Edited by TVCasualty, 25 May 2015 - 02:32 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!