#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,416 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Here is pic from the local paper that shows a family of trouble makers in Anchorage area about a month ago. They were all condemned to death, but got a reprieve from the governor. I am not even making that shit up....

They have since been relocated to bother a place much further from the news outlets....

I don't know the right answers, but I do know its a tough call to make.
BlackBears-150412-16.jpg
  • wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#22 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

I am contacting my local wildlife agency today, maybe they will help. I installed a few motion lights and motion alarms, they at least make me feel better, so that is good. Two nights bear free!

Juthro, glad the governor is nice, or at least wants to catch some public sympathy and support by appearing merciful, it worked out for the bears. Apparently the agency near me can and will track, trap and relocate problem bears. I hope they view this one as a menace enough to make the effort.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 26 May 2015 - 10:39 AM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

After 43 years here and never seeing a bear on the property myself (the pic shot out of my neighbor's window was seen and photoed by that neighbor on this property), today I walked into the woods a few hundred feet from here and heard something in the brush.  I kept walking the way I was headed and saw a fully grown black bear ambling away 150 feet ahead of me.

• TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

Shit!  Neighbor just called to say a raccoon just took another hen in broad daylight.  I don't have time for doing stakeouts with the .22.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#25 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

My neighbors a few miles down the way stopped by, and said they have had bear issues too. They live in an RV on a property they are rebuilding, so lots of their stuff is stored outside. It got pretty destructive, they fired warning shots until it left. There was a fire here last fall, it burned up a lot of the high country removing the forage and cover. This is probably a big part of why everyone is having issues with them this year.

I took down the screw boards, as I realized they could be considered man-traps (even thou they are for bears), and thus are illegal. But if anyone gets hurt on them, it means they were sneaking onto my property, which means they are up to no good and deserve to get poked. But it's not worth the risk. Hopefully the bears get the message and stay away.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 28 May 2015 - 09:24 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#26 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,033 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Good call on the boards, though you could probably label them prominently so that any human with one working eyeball would see them and avoid them.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#27 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

Good call on the boards, though you could probably label them prominently so that any human with one working eyeball would see them and avoid them.

Hmm, would that make them legal? If so, I will post big signs and put them back.
  • Mycomaniac2007 likes this

#28 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,207 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

Man I feel you on this one! We have lived here for 15 years and until last year never seen anything bigger than bobcats and coyotes. In the last two years we have had several visits by bears including a momma bear and 3 cubs. Also even though I had a decent size dog outside, a 5-6 ft long Cougar was seen 3 on three different occasions walking right past my dogs area and the dog did not so much as bark, but just laid on the ground and calmly watched it go as if they had been neighbors for a long time. My neighbor said he would shoot that dog for being worthless, but I think the dog was smart, but he became an indoor dog anyhow after that.

Just got into a sort of argument with my same neighbor who was hassling me to get my woods taken down and pushed back another couple of hundred feet due to the scary animal visits. So far here they have done nothing more harmful than sleeping in the sunshine in the grassy part of my back yard. Found Cougar scat and bear scat in my yard, but so far not bothered with the trash containers or anything.

I told my neighbor it is because there is homes being built all over the place and they are knocking their territory down. I told him I ain't shooting anything unless it becomes a problem, he thinks they are a pproblem already, but they have not bothered us other than being there. I am not real comfortable with it, but if they were tearing my shit up I might be more inclined to take harsher measures. Short of that if we can peacefully live in the same area, I am cool with that. My neighbor sort of pissed me off trying to push me around. (Or so it felt)

Hope this all sort of fades away for you bro and you don't have to do anything your soul will have a problem with. Peace brother...

• Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#29 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,033 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hmm, would that make them legal? If so, I will post big signs and put them back.

Well, it would mean that they aren't booby traps.  In your state (and probably most others) a booby trap is a "concealed or camoflaged" device.

#30 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

Awesome! I think I am gonna paint them day glow orange, post a sign, and back up they go! Read a bit about it, seems I should be ok with a sign.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#31 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Awesome! I think I am gonna paint them day glow orange, post a sign, and back up they go! Read a bit about it, seems I should be ok with a sign.

And if it's a blind person, they will get it in Braille.

• Sidestreet, Juthro and Kryptik like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!