130 replies to this topic

#21 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

these grow in my area where a river commonly floods yearly :) Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures wildedibles :)

Thank you for droping by :) It ts been harder to share pictures as I am still haveing computer issues but I'm doing my best to share my favorites :)
I need to ask a mod to fix my title tho ;) its not just 2015 Its easier to keep my hunting adventures together instead of a ton of different threads :)

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:32 PM

The last couple weeks I hve been busy in the garden and in the woods :) I love being in the woods .........I have been pretty lucky I think I have found 2 actives this year inthe woods but need to confirm this and have found sevral edibles :) Morel and chanterel's .........and deer mushroom

the last few weeks have been interesting tho I have been waiting for Amanita flavoconia or A. frostiana to pop up I think I have found the rare Amanita frostiana but I will need to confirm this for sure I managed to collect two nice specimens and have them dried now.....if interested in the many pictures I have on this mushroom check out this link to my album I will bring a few into this thread later when I got time to use the other computer ;)
https://mycotopia.ne...aug-4-2016-020/

check these links out for comparison

http://www.amanitace...nita flavoconia

http://www.amanitace...anita frostiana

#23 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

I have found some lobster mushrooms but havent been able to confirm what mushrooms they are growing on but yesterday I found a fairy ring of a lactarius mushroom and in the same ring is lobster mushrooms :) I am not positive if they are noted to grow on this lactarius I found or if I have the wrong name for this one here is a few links to what I am talking about :)

http://www.mushroome...deceptivus.html

I havent uploaded pictures but I will later..... I think the mushroom I found fits this one cause it grows in low woods with balsalm and hemlock ...oak is around .....the mushroom has white milk when the gills are cut ....the cut discolors brown........there is brown scales on the top of some mushrooms but not all some are smoother......5-15 cm thick meaty mushroom ...the cap or edge is not hairy

so the lobster mushroom will make this lactarius better tasting less hot making the mushroom I have edible I have tried them before and I love them it does look like lobster and I would cook this for someone that wants lobster meal but dosnt wana eat the lobstter meat maybe a vegatarian or shellfish free meal flavor it with soy sauce or tamari , garlic, etc.......
http://botit.botany....gi/aug2001.html

an interesting plant cought my eye thinking it was a different plant I looked for the berries that grow on the top but there was a leaf instead?? so the plant kinda reminded me of a cana lilly.......so I took a picture and looked in my books when I got home one picture at a time since I didnt have a flower to start from?? well turns out to be a large lady slipper orchid?? WOW!! these are so rare in Ontario that I have never seen one I will have to check in the spring may to june see what color it could be here is a site with ontario wild flowers lady slipper orchids.....I seen a small pink variety in B.C. I had to walk 5 hours into the woods to see these rare flowers I am so glad I did see them they are so delicate :)

http://ontariowildfl...ecies.php?id=96

I am soo lucky last night we had steak for supper and we found
https://mycotopia.ne...adow-mushrooms/
to eat with our supper we all loved them

Edited by wildedibles, 21 August 2016 - 04:50 PM.

• Zwapa likes this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

.....today tho was very lucky day for me tho I have been wanting to find a few actives and really wanted them today for some reason it was very strong urge ....well I have been ignoring my hubby last couple weeks hes been pointing out these LBM in our yard well right away I said no they r not any good they mke you sick .......well today he pulled one out and said look LMAO .....blue foot?? What pull another one blue foot white stem ....ok there was a few with a red or orange stem these ones were the ones I was thinking no good but well he found the other variety that I have given up hope looking for

https://mycotopia.ne...32-bog-concybe/

http://www.mushroomj...becyanopus1.htm

my yard has more grass than moss ....they were short ...tiny mushrooms starting with light gills turning orange as the mushroom ages...white stem with a foot that turns blue s soon as you pull it out I went back out to check and sure enough wow right before my eyes turns blue as you pull it out of the ground.......days like today I know the universe is listing :) to make a note I was talking to my hubby about working on some of my past abuse iissues I have been doing well working on it but feel there is a part that I am ignoring that I do not wanna face well all I can say is tht it is good timing :)

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

Amanita frostiana or Amanita flavoconia pictures 

gallery_121976_1524_551998.jpg

close up of cap of #1 mushroom

gallery_121976_1524_288768.jpg

close up of the base of mushroom #1 showing the shape of the bulb showing an edge that separates from the stem

gallery_121976_1524_587509.jpg

size compared to my finger of mushroom #1
gallery_121976_1524_434475.jpg
  •  
size compared to a balsam cone, these grow in a woods dominated in balsam trees

• Skywatcher and skunk like this

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

#2 mushroom compared to the balsam cones
gallery_121976_1524_416255.jpg

#2 showing the bulb and coloration of yellow lines and dots that is where the edge of the bulb separates from the stem
gallery_121976_1524_641901.jpg

• #2 showing the gills and stem and skirt on the stem

gallery_121976_1524_1151453.jpg#2 showing strations on the side of the cap and the stem color and texture and the skirt and volva

gallery_121976_1524_1353055.jpg
    • size compared to balsam cone #2

•  
        •  

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

gallery_121976_1524_784420.jpg#3 was found at the base of a balsam tree

gallery_121976_1524_1106512.jpg#3 top of cap showing the red color of the centre these always have a red center

gallery_121976_1524_694562.jpg#3 showing gills and stem

gallery_121976_1524_942642.jpg#3 side view showing the yellow stem and gills and the striations of the cap edge and next to a balsam cone to show the size

There is more pictures in the link in the first post on these mushrooms up  there a few posts..........check out my mushroom album in my profile page .....I take way too many pictures of the same thing but it is good when you are trying to remember the details :)

•  
  •  

• Skywatcher, Stig7580 and skunk like this

#28 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,398 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

I think I look forward to the annual arrival of these, and your pictures of them as much as you do Wilde.............

Beautiful !

My favorite, just because I love the white speckling on the top of the caps.

gallery_121976_1524_416255.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 28 August 2016 - 03:22 PM.

• wildedibles, skunk, mjroom and 1 other like this

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

.....today tho was very lucky day for me tho I have been wanting to find a few actives and really wanted them today for some reason it was very strong urge ....well I have been ignoring my hubby last couple weeks hes been pointing out these LBM in our yard well right away I said no they r not any good they mke you sick .......well today he pulled one out and said look LMAO .....blue foot?? What pull another one blue foot white stem ....ok there was a few with a red or orange stem these ones were the ones I was thinking no good but well he found the other variety that I have given up hope looking for

https://mycotopia.ne...32-bog-concybe/

http://www.mushroomj...becyanopus1.htm

my yard has more grass than moss ....they were short ...tiny mushrooms starting with light gills turning orange as the mushroom ages...white stem with a foot that turns blue s soon as you pull it out I went back out to check and sure enough wow right before my eyes turns blue as you pull it out of the ground.......days like today I know the universe is listing :) to make a note I was talking to my hubby about working on some of my past abuse iissues I have been doing well working on it but feel there is a part that I am ignoring that I do not wanna face well all I can say is tht it is good timing :)

Conocybe cyanopus or conocybe smithii or.....??

gallery_121976_1524_126641.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_323602.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_588445.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_8177.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_196857.jpgglad I could finally add the pictures :)

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:35 AM

Amanita's gone Wilde :) They are everywhere big one small ones yellow, orange and white ..some common some rare and a white one with a nice volva egg that its peeking out of very beautiul ......me and hubbby had a nice hunt ...........pictures are coomming :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:34 PM

We went on another hunt and if Amanit frostina is a mushroom they are doing very well this year

better than last year. we found that the range of this group is larger than first thought

we have found them further into the woods as long as there is Balsalm trees you will find Amanita frostina here

where spruce trees start to sneak in mixed with the balsalm trees you will see both Amanita frostina and Amanita flavocona ...........same or different mushrooms??

Edited by wildedibles, 03 September 2016 - 11:36 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#32 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:10 AM

Been blessed this weekend :) after a visit with my Dad me and hubby went fishing :) Him and a friend cought me some perch :) Thanks guys :) I cought a few bass :) small mouth ....humm...a few minnoes (shiners, big fatty ones) oh ya a couple tiny blue gill sunfish :) beautiful but a pain in the fingers with thoes gills ;)

We found more yellow Amanitas I love finding them in little groups or fairy rings :)

We found a red pored, blue staining Beolte or what ever the name might be now I will look it up a little later ....the kids loved to see the instant staining blue when you cut this mushroom or just mall it a bit the cap and stem stained with my fingers pulling it out of the ground

We found a orange Lactarius that milks orange but it was kinda dried up by the time we got home so the kids didnt see this too well these have been hard to find this year.....??
  • Skywatcher likes this

#33 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:12 AM

I think Im gonna play hooky today and go fishing and mushroom hunting :) Mushrooms are everywhere whenI feel up to it I will post some pictures ..... I found a red Russulia that was as big as my hand :) and some black chanterells which are not really these but a different name .... cratarelis?? I will post a link here ....

tons of little brown mushrooms sooo many !! some orange ones could be gyms ....some sulfur yellow ones ......need to do more reading and more hunting :) oh some yellow russulia's and lots of corts even the purple ones they are sooo beautiful :)
  • GrumpyGnome likes this

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:44 AM

Went hunting today we went down to the river there is a huge park there ...should have took Alderlogs with us there is disk golf I have read many times that you like having a game of this ;)

There is many differentt mushrooms out now ...seen one shaggy mane found 2 the other day Im hoping the one I put that was too far gone will spore near my garden in the grass :) I think they eat grass but a little poop and compost run off from the garden couldnt hurt?

Found many Yellow Amanita's they would be the more common Amanita muscaria gussowii .....and flavoconia .....spelling sorry?
many pan foes I collected some anyway Im trying them out for my migrines this winter....

We looked along the river and cirrcled around to the edge of the park that borders the woods and still where did the nettle go??? Im getting fustrated !!! ok tiime for a dube break :) we found a spot that has a trail off into the woods it opened up to a small clearing that goes back to the other side of the park we just came from we are almost were we originally started from....anyway quiet spot no people we have seen people walking in the open park being scocially anxious I like to hide in the deeper part of the forests where no one goes

we found a nice spot to sit and have a drink and have a smoke :).....I cannot find what I came for but the day is sooo warm just sitting in the sun with my hubby is showing me that there is sooo much to live for feeling this love :) I know these days are so special I love and cherish every one .....I need to remember these times when its dark and cold ;)
everything is quiet and me and hubby not paying attention to the woods at the moment and WOW!! I let out a little squeel and quickly have two animals almost on top of me I instantly relaxed noticing the big one is a shepard :) oh hi doggy it was weird he calmed me down I think when he heard me scream a little its hard to remember what he did but it was his face I do not think he licked me but his face went into my hand or something there was 2 dogs and they are not protective or mean no growling barking etc if anything as i said he calmed me down ;) Im a dog lover I have lost my doggy for a week now I miss her very much....

Me and hubby stayed there for a bit after the dogs took off again but he couldnt really convince me after the dogs that its not that secluded lol :) we have to keep our marrige alive so we did fool around a little lol feeling like the teenagerss holding hands like we seen earlyer outside in the sun just feels like it should be :)
on the way home I was getting a migraine from the sun tho my head was hot so we walked the trails home to get outa the sun the best seen soo many more mushrooms and seen some perfect hawthorn berries usually around here they get eaten by bugs and we have had one light frost so the berries were just right to pick :)
By the time we got home I was sooo tired its a fair way to walk then to walk the park and we did back track walking it twice to find that nettle with still no luck there so Im still on the hunt for nettle seed.....
  • Zwapa likes this

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

[Direct Link]

I found this one in a poop pile yesterday :) getting closer ;) sorry about the language but the video shows some good points that my mushroom has ......veil around the cap like a scalloped edge.....gills are molted gray or black with age .......stem is like red and dryes black...no blue staining ......long stem.....I have a feeling im forgetting something but the points are already clear its not a magic.....but I think there is other goodies in there like pan foes that can help with headaces I think the foes have ....oh man cannot remember the name of the stuff now its for fibromalgia and migraines ?? anyway they r good for it and the stuff is expensive when you buy it by the bottle of gel caps ;)

5HTP thats the stuff :)

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Psathyrella woot woott thought Id lost the post above that I just posted good that it didnt disapear for ever a refresh saved the day anyway that mushrooms there Psathyrella I found some of them too and they can look like pans but there is a few points to make this one is very thin in the cap and is more pointy cap and they look close to an inky cap they have black spores all ovver the older mushrooms that dried out and I dont remember any pan doing this .....we found some inky caps too .....need to keep checking the pans might be following these mushrooms in the fruiting there is some rain comming soon so maybe the storms will bring them out more :)

here is a link to mushroom expert maybe it help clear some up :)

http://www.mushroome.../panaeolus.html

Edited by wildedibles, 11 June 2017 - 07:57 AM.

• mjroom likes this

#37 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:40 AM

we had to share the poop pile with a snake the other day ....im not afraid of them but i respect a distance between snake and me so i seen the skin first and was aware there was a snake sunning itself close by ;) hubby seen the snake close to me but it as ok a few feet away so i just moved to the other side......my friend came back out and scared the snake away but I know its a good hot spot so I still watched good thing too cuz the snke came back he didnt wanna give up the hot poop pile ....hubby said he ate something too so he was having a good day leave him alone ;) less mice on the farm the better ;)

https://www.ontarion...gartersnake.php

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

http://botit.botany....gi/may2001.html

I found this mushroom today :) nice small ones they will be good I have tried them before frying them works ...or lightly fry and cook rest way in water or soup stock :) yum yum :) there was 2 big ones too and you could eat the edges still but the middle is too tuff whn they get big :)

#39 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

bear with me as I get a couple pictures up ;)

http://www.mushroome...rma_tsugae.html

"
Major Groups > Polypores > Ganoderma tsugae
MushroomExpert.Com

Ganoderma tsugae

[ Basidiomycota > Polyporales > Ganodermataceae > Ganoderma . . . ]

by Michael Kuo

This beautiful mushroom is closely related to Ganoderma lucidum and is virtually indistinguishable from that species on the basis of physical features alone. However, Ganoderma tsugae is partial to conifers--especially hemlocks and firs--while Ganoderma lucidum is found on the wood of hardwoods. Additionally, it has whitish, rather than brownish flesh. Otherwise it is recognized, like Ganoderma lucidum, by its varnished cap and stem.

The similar Ganoderma oregonense, labeled "doubtfully distinct" from Ganoderma tsugae by Gilbertson and Ryvarden (1986), is a conifer lover of the Pacific Northwest and New Mexico; it is reported to have larger spores (10-16 x 7.5-9 µ) and a much larger fruiting body (up to one meter across!) that only rarely develops a stem.

The taxonomy of Ganoderma, especially within the lucidum species complex, is pretty much up for grabs at the moment, and many recent studies have been published (e.g. Cao et al. 2012, Wang et al. 2012, Yang & Feng 2013, Wang et al. 2014, Zhou et al. 2014, Hapuarachchi et al. 2015, Richter et al. 2015). Results among these studies are sometimes contradictory--and some of the GenBank sequences being used in the studies may represent misidentifications--so the wisest course at the moment seems to be to let the dust settle and use the hardwoods-lucidum/conifers-tsugae equation until there is a different mycological consensus.

Description:

Ecology: Parasitic on living conifers (especially eastern hemlock and western hemlocks) and saprobic on the deadwood of conifers; producing a white butt rot of the heartwood; growing alone, scattered, or gregariously; annual; widely distributed in North America where hemlocks occur, and occasionally reported from the Southwest. The illustrated and described collections are from Michigan, Ohio, Québec, and Oregon.

Cap: 4-24 cm; at first irregularly knobby or elongated, but by maturity more or less fan- or kidney-shaped; with a shiny, varnished surface often roughly arranged into lumpy "zones"; bald; dark red to orangish red or reddish brown when mature; when young often with zones of bright yellow and white toward the margin.

Pore Surface: Whitish, becoming dingy reddish brown in age; usually bruising brown; with 4-6 tiny (nearly invisible to the naked eye) circular pores per mm; tubes to 2 cm deep.

Stem: Sometimes absent, but more commonly present; 3-14 cm long; up to 3 cm thick; equal or irregular; varnished and colored like the cap; often distinctively angled away from one side of the cap.

Flesh: Whitish when fresh, becoming brownish with age; fairly soft when young, but soon tough.

Chemical Reactions: KOH instantly black on flesh and tubes.

Spore Print: Brown.

Microscopic Features: Spores 8-13 x 5-7 µ (see note above); more or less ellipsoid, sometimes with a truncated end; under oil immersion appearing double-walled, with a row of "pillars" between the walls. Setae and cystidia absent. Hyphal system dimitic. Terminal cells on cap surface clavate; 7.5-12.5 µ wide; thick-walled; golden in KOH.

REFERENCES: Murrill, 1902. (Saccardo, 1905; Overholts, 1953; Smith, Smith & Weber, 1981; Gilbertson & Ryvarden, 1986; Phillips, 1991/2005; Lincoff, 1992; Roody, 2003; McNeil, 2006; Kuo & Methven, 2014 tsugae.) Herb. Kuo 09110402, 07271201, 09301301.

Thanks to Laurence Boomer for collecting, documenting, and preserving some of the illustrated and described specimens.

Further Online Information:

Ganoderma tsugae at Roger's Mushrooms

This website contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae

Ganoderma tsugae
Spores

Ganoderma tsugae
Cap surface: terminal cells

© MushroomExpert.Com

Cite this page as:

Kuo, M. (2016, August). Ganoderma tsugae. Retrieved from the MushroomExpert.Com Web site: http://www.mushroome...rma_tsugae.html "

Edited by wildedibles, 29 June 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#40 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:18 AM

Here is my pictures of Ganoderma tsugae

Its a climb up a tall hill in the woods then you see these beauty's :) and its all worth the climb

gallery_121976_1524_63340.jpg

The little one above is on the trunk that's laying on the ground

gallery_121976_1524_288848.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_1089438.jpg

The smaller one

gallery_121976_1524_1104480.jpg

The bigger one

gallery_121976_1524_1574195.jpg

This old Birch stump has these mushrooms growing on it every year :)

The massive trunk is still there but decomposing nicely ...

It grows mushrooms too but the bugs get to them and usually they are all eaten by the bugs.....I think because its laying on the ground....

• Arathu and Skywatcher like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!