74 replies to this topic

#61 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

yep but you will fit in right here :) thanks for the help :)

and sorry I forgot I pulled them outa a block of wood earlier and the one in the ground it was pulled off of the wood too .....I get the new pictures up tonight before moving on the next mushrooms .....you will see the tuffness of this mush and how the white scrapes off

Here is today's pictures :)

gallery_121976_1524_27425.jpg

you can see the cream color to the tips....the wood is all hard wood burred here

gallery_121976_1524_23585.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_5111.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_57660.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_42337.jpg

cut in half it is a stiff marshmallow texture inside....both were attached to wood I think the roots are something else??

gallery_121976_1524_49846.jpg

I scraped the white away finding black underneath

gallery_121976_1524_9729.jpg

see the cracking maybe in age it will all be black I will take more pictures as these fungi develop :)

Edited by wildedibles, 11 July 2017 - 08:11 PM.

• Skywatcher and cubesRAbore like this

#62 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Here is a mushroom I havent found the name for and its been like a year these pictures are from last year

gallery_121976_1524_370673.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_318786.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_105744.jpg

They are growing at the base of a popular tree or a few of them I should say

Thank you for any help in advance :)

#63 cubesRAbore

cubesRAbore

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

The jagged gills are a dead giveaway!

That is a Lentinellus spp.

Lentinellus cochleatus I think.

• wildedibles likes this

#64 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Yep thats it thanks very much :) thats been buggin me for a whole year :)

#65 cubesRAbore

cubesRAbore

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Glad I could help.

Nice pics btw.

• wildedibles likes this

#66 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

I forced my body to go for a walk the other day Ive been working too hard and hurt alot but I had to go checking for mushrooms and just found a couple but we didnt walk very far I wanted to share these photos with you all walking up the hill where its all rocky 

gallery_121976_1524_59399.jpg

The rocks look different with everything green the ferns all around .....heres one growing in the cracks :)

gallery_121976_1524_1319289.jpg

....and here is some Indian Pipes they were scattered everywhere :) very beautiful they are soposed to be rare but I find them all the time now ....maybe they have spread ??

gallery_121976_1524_1134320.jpg

2017-07-27 20.34.43.jpg

perfect this last pictures is a thumbnail cuz it was being stubborn ;) It would not load into my album I tried like 5 times so it worked this way 1st ti,e :) hope you enjoy I really did....next month is when all the goodies pop out around here anyway so I will have plenty of time to collect some edibles :)

• Arathu, Skywatcher, Spooner and 1 other like this

#67 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,332 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

I could walk in that cathedral of forest every day, just to drink in the smells and sounds, and touch the living face of Mother Earth.

The hymns of loving worship sung by the birds, accompanied by the chorus of rustling leaves, a breeze through pine needles and aspen, and the percussion of water, dripping and murmuring in small creeklets.The air filled with the incense of damp woods, and living earth.

Altars filled with fern and flower, fleeting fungal fruits, perpetually recycling.

The sky and majestic branches of age old tree entities, forming the pillars and arches of the temple over the stone and moss covered pews, and mounds of centuries of soft leaf cushions.

Thank you for sharing this wilde, I will walk with you some days, a near silent rush of a birds wings you feel rather than see, a peaceful spirit beside you briefly, long enough to smile.......

post-121976-0-34736100-1501323527.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 29 July 2017 - 09:38 AM.

• Arathu and wildedibles like this

#68 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

:) You did a really good job explaining the beauty I seek when I walk there :) Im blessed to be ale to share this place with you all here ....you missed one thing tho the never ending mosquitoes biting ;) hubby waiting on me tofinish with taking pictures its hard to hold still lol ....but ya its the calmness I seek right now
...more mushrooms will sprout in a few days / week but I was able to find a few neat little ones I will share later ...Im due for a nap now .....too much work ready for play soon :) fishing trip in the near future
  • Skywatcher likes this

#69 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:33 AM

Here is the little mushrooms we found the other day....

gallery_121976_1524_42206.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_665706.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_593231.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_541273.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_495032.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_538966.jpg

gallery_121976_1524_57553.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 30 July 2017 - 02:35 AM.

#70 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

I found one or two of these last year I was trying to find the name again I think they are this one link from mushroom expert

http://www.mushroome...sophlebius.html

"Pluteus chrysophlebius

[ Basidiomycota > Agaricales > Pluteaceae > Pluteus . . . ]

by Michael Kuo

For those of us who live in areas where finding a Pluteus usually means finding a boring, brown mushroom, Pluteus chrysophlebius is a welcome sight, quite admirably holding up the not-boring side of the genus. It is recognized as a Pluteus by its pinkish mature gills and spore print, its habitat on rotting wood, and its lack of a volva--and among species of Pluteus, it is distinguished by its bright yellow cap and stem, and its bald cap texture. Although it is widely distributed in North America, it is uncommon from the Rocky Mountains westward.

North American collections of this species have often been labeled "Pluteus admirabilis" or "Pluteus chrysophaeus." But recent studies (Minnis & Sundberg, 2010; Justo and collaborators, 2011) support the idea that Pluteus admirabilis, named from New York in the late 19th Century, is actually the same species as Pluteus chrysophlebius, named from South Carolina in 1859. The Justo study recommends abandoning the name chrysophaeus altogether, since the original, 18th-Century illustration of the species indicates a mushroom with a brown, rather than yellow, cap. However, I have found (very rarely) Pluteus chrysophlebius populations with brown caps and yellow caps arising together (see the illustration), perhaps indicating that the chrysophaeus question may be worth further investigation.

Description:

Ecology: Saprobic on the deadwood of hardwoods or, more rarely, conifers; causing a white rot; growing alone or gregariously on stumps and logs; late spring through early fall; widely distributed in North America, but much more common east of the Rocky Mountains. The illustrated and described collections are from Illinois, Wisconsin, and Colorado.

Cap: 1-2.5 cm; broadly conic when young, becoming broadly convex to flat, sometimes with a central bump; moist; bald; when young sometimes centrally wrinkled or veined; the margin sometimes finely lined; bright yellow when young, dull yellow or brownish yellow in age.

Gills: Free from the stem; close or crowded; short-gills frequent; whitish at first, becoming pinkish.

Stem: 2-5 cm long; 1-3 mm thick; equal; fragile; bald; pale yellow; basal mycelium white.

Flesh: Insubstantial; yellowish.

Odor and Taste: Odor somewhat bleachlike when crushed; taste similar, or not distinctive.

Spore Print: Pink.

Microscopic Features: Spores 5-7 x 4.5-6 µ; subglobose to widely ellipsoid or sublacrymoid; smooth; hyaline in KOH; inamyloid. Pleurocystidia widely lageniform, with or without an extended neck; 30-60 x 10-20 µ; thick-walled; hyaline in KOH. Cheilocystidia similar to pleurocystidia, or more or less clavate. Pileipellis hymeniform; elements hyaline to yellowish in KOH.

REFERENCES: (Berkeley & Curtis, 1859) Saccardo, 1887. (Peck, 1872; Kauffman, 1918; Singer, 1956; Homola, 1972; Smith, Smith & Weber, 1979; Phillips, 1991/2005; Lincoff, 1992; Horn, Kay & Abel, 1993; Barron, 1999; McNeil, 2006; Miller & Miller, 2006; Minnis & Sundberg, 2010; Justo et al., 2011; Kuo & Methven, 2014.) Herb. Kuo 06150304, 07100303, 06040401, 08150709.

Pluteus melleus, Pluteus rugosidiscus, and Pluteus admirabilis are synonyms."

The gills did turn pink color as they dried on my table ....sorry I didnt take a spore print now they r tiny dried up pink gilled mushrooms the top turned more yellow / brown as they dry

I find a few Pluteus at this time of year .....see if I can find any more :) they usually grow on the birch logs well rotted and sometimes the spruce well rotted logs but this one was on a maple log very well rotted it was harder to tell what the tree was but I seen the smooth bark like the young maple around here
  • cubesRAbore likes this

#71 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:26 AM

:) We found some black trumpets yesterday .....We went trout fishing and hubby got me to pan frys :) and we found these trumpets We found them last year and they were good ..... we also found some popular oyster mushrooms a couple were huge with a central stem I thought it was a diff mush but nope they were coming out of the end of the log so they developed a stem (they were full of bugs but I got 2 small ones to spore print ( I wanna grow these as I always have popular wood with nothing to do with it it dosnt burn right so grow on it instead:))

the yellow Amanitas are everywhere :) beautiful little ones that grow in the balsalm woods :)

There was still lots of little trumpets that I left to get bigger if we go fishing again I will check on them I would love to spread the spores for these mushrooms :) they are beautiful ....They were growing in moss ...the two links I posted there say they like hardwood I found ours in soft wood woods on the side of a stream bank (side of the stream bank is where people find them too and Oak trees were mentioned so maybe try and grow them under the Oak in my yard with moss too)

http://www.mushroome...lus_fallax.html

http://botit.botany....ngi/july98.html
  • Arathu likes this

#72 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Awesome stuff Wilde........Mother Earth is too cool...........what a beautiful place you live in...............

I just can't see myself ever leaving these eastern forests again........... I want to move further out into the boonies actually......

The fall mushie season is definitely upon us................nice pictures lady......... :biggrin:

A

• wildedibles likes this

#73 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

I was gonna try and add more pictures of the recent hunts but Hubby informed me when he turned it on it was sparking??
....shake my head it always seems like something when I wanna add pictures something with the computer messes up .....but sparking WHAT!!?? I need a break......

Whne me and hubby go out on a hunt it takes about an hour or a bit more on the way there and far less on the way back unless we loop it ;) takes time to explore and take pictures :)

we have a few diff places we go and they all cover multiple habbitats we are really lucky to have this kind of biodiversity in a town setting

we need to check out the river it should be abundant with the mushrooms now ....we are haveing cooler nights now

a friend of ours just started renting a house on 130acres we are planing on checking that property out with him see what all we can find ...its all wooded but there is multiple farms around as well

we wore the poor dog out walking him to the fishing hole and mushroom hunting :) but we took some breaks and he didnt wine this time at the break spots :) ...... Po was enjoying being a swamp donkey tho lol finding all the cricks and mud puddles he could in the bush ;) its been finnally hot and cold at night ....been way too wet

Edited by wildedibles, 27 August 2017 - 05:26 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#74 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

Still nice and hot for now :) and lots of mushrooms are out all diff kinds :) ....but my computer issues are still driving me crazy ;)
The computer guy took sparkey computer and broughtt it back said its fixed ....kids plugged it in and it wont even turn on now .....ooops not fixed
we got a new to us computer with the computer guys help and well its not wi fi ........ it says to plug in the ethernet cord .....grrrrr ....but it is windows 7 wich is newer and wi fi compatable but it needs the internal wi fi modem or something?? anyway I know this is a plug in that I may be able to get done ....just have to look into it ......still takin pictures but they will not be up any time soon :( ok maybe a week or two??
....I think Im cursed at the moment I maybe looking into a good phone instead of a computer
camra and internet ready and the company has been buggin me to get a more upto date phone instead of my flip phone ....I just dont wanna phone that pocket dile's I think you can lock it ......my last phone pocket diled 91111111111111 oooops I just finished working at the neighbours house and we were having a smoke break and my pocket keept saying hello ...anyone there?? .....ok where is that comming from "oh its my pants takling to me WHAT!"
well I told them it was a pocket dile aand Im very soorry I do not need your help ....but they had to send a cop car out anyway just incase I was saying I didnt need thier help and was afraid of the people I was with
oh man what a mess I told them it was not an emergency so if there is more important stuff deal with that first please
I went home I wasnt waiting and waiting ;) but they did send a cop out a few hours later and I had to tell them that I am not afraid of anyone it was a pocket dile .......said everything again in private with the cop so he kew that these people are not hurting me that we just finihed working in the garden and Im ready to go back home and rest now ....he listened aand left all of our storys were the same WOW!! a Cops are our friends story lol
  • Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#75 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:24 AM

[Direct Link]

I found these 3 video's ....this guy went canoing in Algonquin park ....it shows the area I live in .....I live on the west side of this large park.....good show of the animals including Moose, bullfrogs you see more water then the woods in this type of camping but Algonquin parki is easier to access by canoing :) My parents used to do this type of camping we (me and my bro) went with them when we were little kids My Mom talked about the wolves howling at night but I was too young to remember the canoe trips anyway but I do rember many camping adventures with my family i this park and man others in the area :)

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 14 November 2017 - 03:39 AM.

• skunk and cubesRAbore like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!