2 replies to this topic

#1 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

Greetings guys,

Just a quick poo question. I recently collected a bag of kangaroo/wallaby poo and have had it bagged and out on my back porch.
Within a day of collecting it, its developed a fine furr of fungus/mould of some form. I seriously doubt anybody here has had experience with 'roo poo' as such, bit I'm guessing the same rules should apply to most herbivorous animals.
Buckaroo once told me a small amount of mould on poo will actually be beneficial, but I'm just wondering at what point it becomes a problem.

I've moved the bag inside, and later today I'm going to rebag it in a fabric bag or pillow case to allow better airing.

The part that confuses me is the fact that the bag was in fact out doors when it became 'furry'. Whilst collecting the poo i collected some fresh from that day, too old dry borderline petrified poo. and NONE had any signs of being mouldy in anyway.
I'm wondering what the factor was that would have induced the mould taking hold. It was outdoors, on a porch under shelter. But still very open and aired.
I would have thought those conditions would be almost identical to the environment where i collected it. (petting zoo/farm).

The batterys in my cam died last night so a pic of the poo isn't possible right now. I'll be really disappointed if this poo is no longer good for my substrate. Roo poo is damn small, so collecting even a grocery store sized bag took a long ass time.

Thanks in advance for any tips pointers you guys can offer. I'm really psyched to do a half dozen poo substrates and comparison of the success of each. I'll keep you all informed as the grow progresses.

Thank you :)

Fingers

P.S If anyone would be interested in seeing the roo's and wallabys who's feces we pillaged, this is the link to the post with images. ( I'm thinking its best to not double post the same images).

http://mycotopia.net...2304#post282304

#2 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:34 AM

bump fa me.

anyone? ...anyone at all :greenboun ?

Fingers :)

#3 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:36 AM

Maybe it was because it was in the bag and was too humid? I will be interested to see how this goes, sorry I can't be of much help.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!