• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

Today I was getting a cup of coffee up in the university area. A couple college kids were handing out flyers about communism and how many people it kills ect. What got my attention is after I started reading.

I took a picture of the flyer by the way.. It compares and outright says and compares Communism to the Hippy community, hippies , hipsters and comparing them to pimps, and Nazi's.
I couldn't believe my eyes and the kids got a semi respectful earfull. I was just shocked how close minded, and downright labeling their point of view was.

I feel odd posting the actual photo of the thing but will do if people want to discuss
  • Alder Logs, Juthro, Spooner and 1 other like this

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

Funny, Hippies were considered right up there with Commies, labeled, and thank Cod it was before profiling or the police would have made a dent in it.

Canada nor the Commies wanted anything to do with us "long Hairs", and it was dangerous to travel many places in Texas!!

Oh, did I say "US?"

#3 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

Tennessee was a harsh place in the early 90s for any minority. I was a bit shocked when I lived there. It was a beautiful State but very harsh in some aspects. I really wasn't that observant at that time but I remember seeing alot of things that really troubled me ... But every place has its issues , it wasnt confined to that state but definitely more noticeable in some areas

#4 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

Well,

The hippie movement does kinda represent a communistic theme. Everyone living together, doing their thing they are good at or not, and treating everyone as equals.

I don't see how that applies to "Nazis".  

Overall, and it's sad to say, that yes, the above situation could in fact be construed into being a form of communism. 

Edited by fungi2bwith, 17 June 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#5 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

I dont either, obviously its just a group of kids that are oblivious to the fact that you cant just put people in a lable like that without knowing what you are truly implying.They might have been sheltered in in their lifetime and now things are coming as a shock and they have adopted certain ideas , beliefs that are starting to come forth. It was just very un unnerving to see a group of twenty year olds comparing hippies to drug forcing, women drugging monsters & Nazis.

The actual flyer was contradicting in the end statement kinda putting out there that one should be open minded and kind to others way of thinking. Soi thought it could be some ironic statment. But the words coming out of their mouths were definitely anti expressive. And im not stuck on the fact it was against the hippie culture , it happens alot and I see more stereo typing with the younger generation now than ever before. Maybe its just im more aware of my surroundings now, I dont know but I guess this type of belief system is a learned behavior and as one matures and grows throughout life, they adopt different ideas about whats actually true or fact

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 17 June 2015 - 06:07 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:06 PM

Communism works really well in a small group/team. I consider myself a patriot and a proud American, but I would have no problem living on communal farm. Several of my friends and I are talking about going semi-off grid. My friend Jennifer is a horticulturist, my friend Mike wants a yurt, Mike's girlfriend has farm experience (as do I), my other friend Jen gardens and does leather work, I would be in charge of the cats and dogs and mushrooms and tomatoes etc..

Some goats, some land, some chickens and hard work could be lucrative, peaceful and fulfilling. 

Let's see the flyer please.

Have these kids never watched a fucking WWII documentary or heard of the Holocaust?

Edited by catattack, 17 June 2015 - 07:08 PM.

• fritshrooms, Phineas_Carmichael, fungi2bwith and 2 others like this

#7 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

It sounds contradictory especially at the end.. maybe thats the way ut was meant but if so, they were too thick to understand this . They had a huge stack between them and people were actually attentively reading ... Like I said it was just a a shock seeing some group acting so hatfull. Esp young college students

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 17 June 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

was it posted in here?

free-hugs.jpg

• Sidestreet and fritshrooms like this

#9 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

Lol what the hell is that

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

it's about as legit as that flyer

#11 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was reading let alone actually being approached . People dont usually hand me stuff let alone stuff like this. I just dont understand and probably wont. Kids jump on abandwagon and go along for the ride just for the sake of acceptance. I really hope they dont actually believe something like this and my town isnt known for this type of talk. So I take it as ignorance

"removed it just for sake of respect"

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 17 June 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

yeesh, I hope not

#13 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was reading let alone actually being approached . People dont usually hand me stuff let alone stuff like this. I just dont understand and probably wont. Kids jump on abandwagon and go along for the ride just for the sake of acceptance. I really hope they dont actually believe something like this and my town isnt known for this type of talk. So I take it as ignorance

It's not ignorance, it's group-think......sheeple man, sheeple.... :tinfoil:

Thank goodness for mushrooms and their de-programming qualities, or we might be right there along side the protestors....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 17 June 2015 - 08:51 PM.

• MycoDani, Mycomaniac2007, fritshrooms and 3 others like this

#14 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

I don't get the anti-communist sentiment in this country.  I have no interest in communism but it seems pretty obvious that people hate communism because they were told to hate communism because the state's enemies were communist countries.

Pretty interesting to see something that actually looks hateful directed toward "hippies."  Usually hippies are just a joke.

• MycoDani, Mycomaniac2007 and fritshrooms like this

#15 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

I don't get the anti-communist sentiment in this country.  I have no interest in communism but it seems pretty obvious that people hate communism because they were told to hate communism because the state's enemies were communist countries.

Pretty interesting to see something that actually looks hateful directed toward "hippies."  Usually hippies are just a joke.

Hippies were not a joke to the politicians, the military industrial complex, or the police. 

They were a legitimate, and real problem.

Sheep marching to their own music, in the opposite direction. Really caused some traffic jams where I lived then, in San Francisco.

#16 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

My girlfriend grew up in that era , I was the next generation in the late 70` & 80`s. She said it was a very tense time especially around the Nixon era and especially around college campuses and the one she attended to. She witnessed alot of un necessary violence twards people that were opposed to the war, draft. Which I couldnt even imagine .. being pulled from your daily life to become a trained killer when it is totally against your nature or beliefs. Im not surprised in the least that people rose to protest and fight for their right to be individual and express themselves in whichever way they chose.

Im really not that educated about what in a whole happened then so I really cant comment too much, I wasn't there but it sounds like a very tense time for sure. People making assumptions about people fighting for their rights and labeling to the point of being angry and frightened I guess is what I understand about the whole deal. Young people trying to be heard in a peaceful way, and receiving hate and shunned for it.

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 18 June 2015 - 11:43 AM.

• Alder Logs and happy4nic8r like this

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

Labels just seem naturally to fail.  The labelers label themselves. When you trip, you trip alone.  The group is a total illusion, but one of the strongest to-kill-for illusions. The individual is also an illusion, or did you virgin birth yourself?  Be the change you want to see in the world and don't call it anything. 

• Juthro likes this

#18 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

I know a lot of "real" hippies. . . And I used to live at a commune, heh. There are still plenty of people out there that eat well, grow their own food, typically don't have "jobs" and wear sandals. Call them hippies or not, labels are weird.

As a political idea, communism isn't bad, but like all forms of government it doesn't usually work out that great in practice.

Also, a friendly reminder to mind your manors, I had to hide a few posts.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 18 June 2015 - 11:58 AM.

• Mycomaniac2007, fungi2bwith and Juthro like this

#19 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Also, a friendly reminder to mind your manors, I had to hide a few posts.

You don't want anyone knowing who the people with bad manners are?

#20 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

As a political idea, communism isn't bad, but like all forms of government it doesn't usually work out that great in practice.

It's that damn human emotion that keeps getting in the way......lol

• fritshrooms likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!