48 replies to this topic

#21 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,844 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

I love the worms. I now have them everywhere, and even well established in all the larger potted plants. They work hard at feeding and aerating the soil. Looks like you are doing well.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#22 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

I BELIEVE....

the corn grit and gluten is a weed seed GERMINATION inhibitor.   But, once the stuff gets wet

the hibernation protein is quickly rinsed away and any seeds in proper location will then germinate.

(If you do a search on seed enzymes youll find some interesting stuff)

Weeds "CAN" be a battle... 

One Straw Revolution(book) 

this book and countless others have opened my eyes to more nature approach, "do nothing", style of living.

I find best results with the less i do lol 

weed control in any beds...

key things to do to prevent and CONTROL weeds are... IMO/E... 

#1 thing... NEVER TILL... till once if you have to...

#2 never leave soil BARE and EXPOSED, always cover with a VARIETY of mulches.  

Add a layer of grass clippings one time.. wood chips another... more grass clippings or garden scraps..

etc...etc... dont forget leaf mold and leaves in the fall time...

#3 pulled weeds when following the 2 things aboves will usually results in that weed never comign back up

in that same spot again...  Over time of course birds and bugs and animals will move seeds around and plant

more for you to have to pull or whatever... but thats part of the deal lol... and the best thing is..

you now have more diverse populations of micro-herd and animals :)  both bonuses.

i never recommend the black plastics or fabrics... they heat up the soil to much and "CAN"(not always)

really throw off the microbes in the most important portion of the soil... top 1-6inches.

just my 2cents :)

• Juthro likes this

#23 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Pictures from the community garden plot

Purple basil in flower
image.jpg image.jpg

Basil flowers are SO pretty. To bad when it flowers and goes to seed.

Unless it's African blue
image.jpg

This is supposed to turn purple-ish and have 12-18 inch flower stalks that do not seed or wipe out the plant after it flowers. I'll have to keep an eye on it so I can take cuttings for over wintering and next season.

First two peppers coming in already

image.jpg image.jpg

Can't wait to see what color they turn out. They are a mini bell. I started seeds of chocolate, red and orange. But true to form I either labeled them and lost the labels or was completely stoned when I "thought" I'd remember which ones are which. Which is great till you rotate the seed flat a couple times and forget ! I got the seeds from Seed Savers. I'm hoping I will have one of each color out of the 6 plants that are in the ground so I can save seed from the peppers. The clones/cuttings I took are not doing so well. Look like the indoor peppers will have to be started from seed.

And last a pic of one of my tomatoes. Hieoom varietal called Black Sea Man (don't repeat it too fast or I'll giggle like a kid)

image.jpg

I never really liked tomato plants. Thought they were kinda ugly but I LOVE the potato leaf heirlooms!!

And IF they turn out like the pic below I grabbed of the internet I will TOTALLY be excited!image.jpg

Edited by PsyBearknot, 14 July 2015 - 06:14 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#24 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

26 - 1 gallon polly plAstic grow bags. 4 basil plants per bag

On 2nd cutting - has produced 4 lbs of basil I have sold for $15 a pound to a local market that is buying my wheat grass.

I will let the grow out a 3rd time and sell that but they will no longer need basil since it was for a summer soup and tomato salad they are making. They asked about cilantro and parsley for the winter...looks like I need to buy some more seed!

Their pastry chef was talking about making a lemon basil raw/vegan cheesecake when I was there last time. I HAD a really nice purple basil plant that had a couple dozen nice tops on it. I was pretty fond of the plant, but it's food...he is an adorable bearded pastry chef...I got a thing for chef coats...SO...snip snip...hey there...how u doing?

image.jpg
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#25 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

I LOVE tomatoes :)   Tomatoes are my main crop and I baby the hell out of my tomatoes.

Got 5-6 varieties growing this year, all reds besides the one black krim variety, next year ill through in some of

my yellow boys and a new variety i have that ripens green :)

check out this link i found after googling the black tomato you have there.

http://yougrowgirl.c...-seaman-tomato/

#26 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

WOW.
that's the best/most complete review of the black seaman I have seen. I find it interesting how I have searched for review on this many times even recently. Never found this one.

I love tomatoes as well. But from how I grew up with my parents gardening style I tend towards nice neat rows of compact plants. The sprawling I determinants and cottage garden type planting turn a OCD trigger on in me lol!

I read a couple places the taste was just OK.

I would love to try the Black Krim some time.

I have had the seeds for a couple of years now. I got them specifically for the size of plant / amount of production / and the color figuring it would be good for an indoor space that I was working towards at the time.

I had read several things that said determinants are best for indoors. Now a lot say smaller fruit Indeferments are best lol!
  • Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#27 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

I BELIEVE....

the corn grit and gluten is a weed seed GERMINATION inhibitor.   But, once the stuff gets wet
the hibernation protein is quickly rinsed away and any seeds in proper location will then germinate.
(If you do a search on seed enzymes youll find some interesting stuff)

Weeds "CAN" be a battle... 

One Straw Revolution(book) 

this book and countless others have opened my eyes to more nature approach, "do nothing", style of living.

I find best results with the less i do lol 

weed control in any beds...

key things to do to prevent and CONTROL weeds are... IMO/E... 

#1 thing... NEVER TILL... till once if you have to...
#2 never leave soil BARE and EXPOSED, always cover with a VARIETY of mulches.  
Add a layer of grass clippings one time.. wood chips another... more grass clippings or garden scraps..
etc...etc... dont forget leaf mold and leaves in the fall time...
#3 pulled weeds when following the 2 things aboves will usually results in that weed never comign back up
in that same spot again...  Over time of course birds and bugs and animals will move seeds around and plant
more for you to have to pull or whatever... but thats part of the deal lol... and the best thing is..
you now have more diverse populations of micro-herd and animals :)  both bonuses.

i never recommend the black plastics or fabrics... they heat up the soil to much and "CAN"(not always)
really throw off the microbes in the most important portion of the soil... top 1-6inches.

just my 2cents :)

Good info thanks.

I am seeing the weeds that are coming back are the vine type that you can pull 6 feet of vine out of the ground and they grow back the next day lol. So the effectiveness of the corn would be lost since it's not seeds germinating.

Tiling - I did it the first time when I peeped my bed to break up the soil and get some coffee grounds worked into the bed one of the other gardeners insisted I have. Growing up if we could get out before the rain my dad would have me take a hand hoe and break up the top couple of inches. Said that it was supposed to help the water absorb better and less run off. I have done that the last couple of rains.

Mulching - I'm getting ready to plant some of my fall and winter roots and greens. Will the seed be able to germinate and sprout if I have a layer of mulch down? Or should I wait till I can mulch around them?

#28 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

Any recommendations on books/readings that deal with edible weeds that are in said local area?

#29 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Mulching - I'm getting ready to plant some of my fall and winter roots and greens. Will the seed be able to germinate and sprout if I have a layer of mulch down? Or should I wait till I can mulch around them?

Any recommendations on books/readings that deal with edible weeds that are in said local area?

Mulching- if your planting seeds...  Just prep your soil area.. I personally liek to keep everything mulched with 2-3inches of

a combo of grass clippings and wood chips,  this keeps the weeds down and it helps keep the top soil area nice and loamy

and moist, all you gotta do is rack aside some of the mulch to expose soil, drop your seeds down, then bring back the

mulch you pulled away.

The seeds will sprout right through the mulch layer as long as you dont bury the seeds in the soil layer, just need to throw them down.

Keep watered for the first 3-4 days, this is the MOST IMPORTANT part for starting seeds with good success rate outside,

BUT this doesnt help SLUGS.. so youll have to be on the watch for slugs eating your seedlings, I have ZERO cucumbers this year

becaue of the slugs, cant start seeds outside AT ALL... started over 1000 seeds ... 100% eaten one 1-2 nights... even with my sprays...

damn slugs...  (this is another reason whyh I decided im finished with tilling FOREVER... you can plant your BENEFICIAL crops

all over the place, and sacrificial crops that the bad bugs can eat, leaving your good stuff along...

cant beat the bugs lol gotta work with them. 

as for bene weed plants that are edible... id PM wildedibiles for that info.. she knows a lot about edible weeds.

Or google :)

• PsyBearknot likes this

#30 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

This is "Why"

image.jpg image.jpg

Purple Basil's are my favorite!

Edited by PsyBearknot, 18 July 2015 - 08:41 PM.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,375 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

Looks good brother Bear :)
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#32 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

DIY Hydroponic Buckets - watch your source

I posted a bit ago on this thread about some buckets I got from a pool supply company.  

https://mycotopia.ne...supply-company/

IMG_2441.JPG

I was hoping to be able to wash them good with a scrub and some soap but was unable to get the smell to come out of the plastic.  the smell was very strong.  I even filled them with water and set them out in the sun on the back driveway for a week and the smell still would not leach out of the plastic.  

not a source for free buckets!

That original thread is locked.  If a mod/admin sees it to be helpful could the thread be unlocked and i will paste the above info or can the info be pasted into that thread for me?  I think it would be well worth it to have the info there since it was a result that was not the expected out come. 

Thanks. 

• Juthro likes this

#33 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

LINKS

past thread i started on an attempt at indoor gardening in a small space with CFL Bulbs and micro tomatos in beer cups

https://mycotopia.ne...n-the-start-up/

The beer cup tomato thread

https://mycotopia.ne...icrotom-tomato/

#34 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

DWC / Bubbleponic Indoor Tomatos

seeds started 6/10

IMG_2268.JPG IMG_2269.JPG IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2272.JPG IMG_2273.JPG

first seeds germinating into seedlings 6/13

IMG_2308.JPG

6 days later

IMG_2436.JPG

TBC...

#35 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

Duckweedimage.jpg

#36 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Peppersimage.jpg

#37 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

26 - 1 gallon polly plAstic grow bags. 4 basil plants per bag
On 2nd cutting - has produced 4 lbs of basil I have sold for $15 a pound to a local market that is buying my wheat grass.
I will let the grow out a 3rd time and sell that but they will no longer need basil since it was for a summer soup and tomato salad they are making. They asked about cilantro and parsley for the winter...looks like I need to buy some more seed!
Their pastry chef was talking about making a lemon basil raw/vegan cheesecake when I was there last time. I HAD a really nice purple basil plant that had a couple dozen nice tops on it. I was pretty fond of the plant, but it's food...he is an adorable bearded pastry chef...I got a thing for chef coats...SO...snip snip...hey there...how u doing?
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Add another 3.5 # to that
  • Skywatcher likes this

#38 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,844 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Funny, I never knew how many leather harnesses showed up when you search "Chef Coats"......

• PsyBearknot likes this

#39 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

Malabar spinach
https://en.m.wikiped...Malabar_spinach

image.jpg

#40 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Tree collard harvest

cleaned 3 plants under growth out. Just the leaves that were not really getting much sun.image.jpg

Gonna make a side dish for a gathering this week.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!