48 replies to this topic

#41 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

IVE HEARD GREATNESS ABOUT THSI SPINACH!!!

I need to get that... cant fucking beat a perennial spinach VINE!!!! lol

#42 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Malabar spinachhttps://en.m.wikiped...Malabar_spinachattachicon.gifimage.jpg

IVE HEARD GREATNESS ABOUT THSI SPINACH!!!

I need to get that... cant fucking beat a perennial spinach VINE!!!! lol

That LOVES heat!

What a wonderful green to be able to fill the gap with between spring and fall greens!

I was given a bunch of cuts from a current vine of the red stemmed. Little late in the season but they should root and hold in a sunny window for next year.

Got it from my mom. The vine is going to seed right now. I'm going to try and save some of the seeds but they are notoriously difficult and low germ rate.

When the seed is ready I'll save you some.

I have some tree collard cuts I am going to send to a 'topian friend. Never sent live cuts before. If they survive the travel I have a couple more Tc cuts and some Malabar spinach cuts to offer up as well.
  • Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#43 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

Out for a morning joint and saw this...

Put a humming bird feeder in your miracle tree and 48 hrs later I got a hummer!
image.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#44 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

[quote name="PsyBearknot" post="1237534" timestamp="1438691136"]Duckweedattachicon.gifimage.jpg[/quote

Duckweed part 2

image.jpg

Duckweed and water lettuce

image.jpg

Found this one in one of the duckweed tubs.
2-3 times bigger than the rest. May be a few more. But seperated this one as best I could to see what it would do.

image.jpg

Would like to add Azolla as well.

Need to figure out some lighting.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 05 August 2015 - 02:06 PM.

• Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#45 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

[quote name="PsyBearknot" post="1237534" timestamp="1438691136"]Duckweedattachicon.gifimage.jpg[/quote

Duckweed part 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

damn duckweed... mine is 100% GONE... well.. like 99.5% gone.. i still got some protected in fry traps.

so you know... 44 mature tilapia destroy 250sq ft of duckweed.  lol  :)  random piece of info for ya.

Usually my water res would be 100% COVERED with a nice thick layer of duckweed this time of year.

Now...the surface is perfectly clear...

duckweed uses are almost endless...

I use it for...

1- TREAT feed/snack for animals(ducks and fish mainly) (freeze in ice trays, and you have nice floating snacks for ducks

or fish, you can also use these cubes as nutrient top dressing "packets", the freezing bursts all teh cells and the inside nutes are more

readily available.

2- when I have so much, i harvest it and compost it.

3- even better then #2, I take the duckweed and use it as a top dress... it dries up nicely and makes

the perfect soil surface shelter for moisture, microbes, and bugs, great mulching source.  adding this ontop of comfrey

leaves or alfalfa has shown me enough to explore it further.

:)  Love seeing peopel growing duckweed... its so useful... Im going to probably start growing it in shallow water troughs...

Might give me a good reason to dig a LONG shallow water pond.... HUM!!!!!!! lol   Love projects :)

• PsyBearknot likes this

#46 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

[quote name="Il19z8rn4li1" post="1237782" timestamp="1438872348"][quote name="PsyBearknot" post="1237684" timestamp="1438801293"][quote name="PsyBearknot" post="1237534" timestamp="1438691136"]Duckweedattachicon.gifimage.jpg[/quote

Duckweed part 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
[/quote]  damn duckweed... mine is 100% GONE... well.. like 99.5% gone.. i still got some protected in fry traps. so you know... 44 mature tilapia destroy 250sq ft of duckweed.  lol  :)  random piece of info for ya.Usually my water res would be 100% COVERED with a nice thick layer of duckweed this time of year.Now...the surface is perfectly clear...  duckweed uses are almost endless... I use it for... 1- TREAT feed/snack for animals(ducks and fish mainly) (freeze in ice trays, and you have nice floating snacks for ducksor fish, you can also use these cubes as nutrient top dressing "packets", the freezing bursts all teh cells and the inside nutes are morereadily available.2- when I have so much, i harvest it and compost it.3- even better then #2, I take the duckweed and use it as a top dress... it dries up nicely and makesthe perfect soil surface shelter for moisture, microbes, and bugs, great mulching source.  adding this ontop of comfreyleaves or alfalfa has shown me enough to explore it further.  :)  Love seeing peopel growing duckweed... its so useful... Im going to probably start growing it in shallow water troughs...Might give me a good reason to dig a LONG shallow water pond.... HUM!!!!!!! lol   Love projects :)[/quote]

I hear fish chicken and ducks go mad for it.

There is interesting debate over how much duckweed is good for their diet. Some say it's not as protein packed and some say it's only protein packed when dry concentrated amounts are used.

I'm on the #2 or #3 path.

I read about it
I found some free on Craig's list
I have a pump/air stone/tub for it to grow with
I have a shelf that had a space for it and some lighting too.....

Free sustainable green matter...seems a no brainer to me.

I got water lettuce in the same fashion. Once it gets used to ifs new home I'm gonna float it with the duckweed and the water lettuce is supposed to take care of algee.

I also want to have azolla as well. It supposedly fixes nitrogen from the air into the water.

#47 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:21 PM

Well time to start this thread back up.

Had lots of ideas last season. Ended up working a 2nd job till the first of the year.

But now back on track.

Duckweed died
Water plants died
Think main reason lack of attention and detail.

But this thread is what started it all. Was not sure if get back to it. But a friend gave me a push when I was whining about the mountain of work for what I wanted to do. He said just get out there for an hour and do SOMETHING...it's taken off from there.

#48 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

Found a tree service that is giving away wood chips.

Three trips (so far) with 6 -18 gallon tubs.

Added some to the compost pile
Added some to the future king stropharia bed
Added to main garden - then layer of straw then layer of chips for mulch
Made a mulch path between the bales in my garden and the fence 3-4 ft wide so the dog has her running pathimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Continue to find animal bones.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

#49 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:33 PM

Bales in placeimage.jpeg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!