#1 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

King Stropharius:Planting them in outside beds and persistence pays off!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4216.JPG

• Cindysid and Kryptik like this

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Drying the 6th flush and it looks like there will be a 7th fruiting!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4217.JPG

• Mycomaniac2007, riseabovethought, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,922 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

you are rocking those kings brother.. they must love the heat :biggrin:

Good Job!!

#4 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

Eighth flush in progress!  My first time with them.  I didn't know what to expect.  I have harvested about 2 lbss.   Bed nocked in May!!!

Edited by Seeker2be, 10 July 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#5 mushfun

mushfun

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 39 posts

Donator

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

How are you keeping the bugs away? They seem best me to the kings most times.

#6 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

Mouse traps and beer plates.  There is some nibbling.  You have to expect some competition.

• mushfun likes this

#7 moose71

moose71

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Donator

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

i have some  k stropharia beds i set up last year and nothing yet. i set them up like it says on the website i got the spawn from. what did you use in the beds and where do you have them located? i have mine under some old growth spruces where I've found some wild boletes before so should be a good spot. used hardwood sawdust and chips layered and covered w/ straw. saw dust was fresh too. i used spawn from 2 different sources.  theres some standing water that used to be in this spot in the spring. maybe it was too wet for them there?

Edited by moose71, 12 July 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#8 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

Well I have two sites: One on an island on our drive way under a spreading maple.  That site I have inoculated multiple times since June of last year: Only got one mushroom.  Used cardboard at the bottom, alder chips and spawn with a lasagna pattern then burlap on top.

The other, the  prolific site is in full sun on a raised bed bordered by basalt rocks where I am growing starts of asparagus and, not planted by me, volunteer opium poppies. That is the bed that is giving me the yields though the mice and slugs chew away at some of them.

I took some clones from the larger harvested mushrooms to put on agar in the hopes of making sawdust bags to start other sites.  I also cut off the stem butts and wrapped in corrugated wet cardboard in a baggie in the fridge for 2 weeks.  They are reverting to mycelia, expanding, and I will put them  in totes to expand spawn..  If you would like a proliferating stem butt PM me.

Edited by Seeker2be, 12 July 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• riseabovethought and wharfrat like this

#9 moose71

moose71

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Donator

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

thanks for the info. went to check my beds tonight and the one that had good mycelium produced 3 lbs. of wine caps! nice big ones too! happy as a pig in shit! checked them last night and nada. man do they come out fast! biggest one was 9in. wide and hadn't completely flattened yet!

#10 Vil

Vil

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

I envy you. I've had crap for luck, and I'm trying to farm them. Awesome job! I love the taste of those. They're like almonds, with a hint of apple.

#11 moose71

moose71

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

just got my 4th flush out of this 5' by 5' bed! 6.5 lbs this time. had a 10in cap! i have 5 other beds that are huge compared to this one and they're full of mycelium! gonna have to get a bigger dehydrator! I've been cutting the stems off at soil level then covering the butts w/ fresh sawdust. the first flush spoti had initially , produced this flush under the new sawdust i placed there. staments wasn't kidding when he said the mycielium grows faster when disturbed! learn something new every day! with each flush i covered the butts w/ more sawdust , then replaced the straw.

Edited by moose71, 27 July 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#12 moose71

moose71

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

I envy you. I've had crap for luck, and I'm trying to farm them. Awesome job! I love the taste of those. They're like almonds, with a hint of apple.

i put my beds under a bunch of old norway spurce i have  in the backyard. theres some moss and i get flushes of king boletes under them so i figured  it would be a good spot for my beds.  i guess i figured right. i didn't think they would survive as we had -30f temps many times last winter w/ very little snow to insulate them but a 6in. layer of straw w/ a tarp covering must have done the trick! don't give up man! i have a unlimited supply of hardwood sawdust and chips just down the road at a firewood processing business so i can afford to make and maintain many beds. if you don't have a good supply try getting a small chipper and make your own. that way you can control what type of wood chips you put in your beds. if i can help you w/ any info. give me a yell. good luck!

#13 moose71

moose71

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

i don't know if this made a difference but i supplemented the wood chips w/ some dried skim milk. id dust between layers of chips and spawn. in a 5' by 5' bed i used 2-3 cups w/ a few cups of granulated gypsum also. beds are about 6-8in deep. i water often.

• mushfun likes this

#14 moose71

moose71

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Donator

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

hey guys! I'm back! since i posted last i have mixed my mycelium in the hardwood mulches around all my fruit trees and raspberry bushes. i have them coming up everywhere , even in direct sunlight! i must have harvested 50lbs of them and didn't pick them all. i just harvest the caps and rebury the stems in another mulch somewhere else. threw some in my compost pile and they even grew in there which they shouldn't! i think its our cool summers that they really like! been bartering with some farmers for vegetables and other things. my neighbors all love them and like to see them growing everywhere. put a ring of mycelium last spring around my big rhubarb patch near the driveway. this summer the whole patch fruited at the same time growing a ring 6in. wide around the patch. had some people drive by then come back and ask what kind of mushroom i was growing. also this summer i was driving to work and saw some very large white mushrooms on my neighbors lawn. i immediately identified them as the horse mushrooms I've been searching for around here for a long time! i picked 6 lbs from that patch! they were meaty and delicious! i diced the stems and mixed with a pail of compost. dug a hole on the edge go the lawn near my spruces and made a bed there mulched with duff and composted sawdust. can't wait to see if they take! been a good summer!

• Myc likes this

#15 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

Congrats Moose.  You have a good attitude.  My plan is to have more patches, give away spawn to the local Organic gardening group and sell some spawn locally.  Spread the mycelium!!!

• riseabovethought and GrumpyGnome like this

#16 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

God bless you Seeker.  Love ya bud. :cool:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!