• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Almost 100 years ago my great grandfather was a doctor in London with an innate curiosity that could never be satisfied...

=====

In 1933, either Herbert Woollard or Edward Carmichael had weights stacked on his testicles for the sake of science. It's not possible to say exactly which one of these London-based doctors bore the unusual burden, because while both participated in the experiment, only one of them lay on a table and suffered the scrotal compression. The other one did the stacking. They never revealed who served in which capacity — nor how they chose who was to be the unlucky one.

woollard.jpg carmichael.jpg

(EDIT - That's Gramps on the right - 2nd pic if you're on Tapatalk)

Their motive for this self-experiment was to better understand referred pain — the mysterious phenomenon in which injury to an internal organ causes pain to be felt elsewhere in the body. For instance, a heart attack may cause the sensation of pain in the arm. The two doctors noted that, of all the internal organs, the testicles were the most "accessible to investigation" and therefore seemed ideal for a study of referred pain.

During the experiment, the subject lay spread-eagled on a table, exposing his genitals. His colleague stooped over him and gripped the other man's scrotal sac, drawing it forward and gently cradling it in his hand. He then rested a scale pan on a single testis, and carefully piled weights onto the pan, recording the reaction of the subject with each increase of weight.

testicular.jpg

Their results, which appeared in the journal Brain, were rather spare on colorful details. They described the agony of the victim only in dry, clinical details. For instance, they reported that 300 grams of weight produced slight discomfort in the right groin, while 650 grams caused severe pain on the right side of the body. However, they did confirm that injury to the testicles does cause pain to be referred throughout the body. For instance, as the weight on the testicle increased to over two pounds, the subject reported pain "of a sickening character" not only in his groin but also spreading across his back.

Woollard and Carmichael conducted a number of variations of the experiment, in which they numbed nerves leading to the testes in order to determine how this would alter the sensation. This produced the interesting finding that, even though they eventually numbed what they believed to be every nerve leading to the testes, they couldn't entirely abolish the pain of compression. The testes are highly sensitive organs!

Their results remain the definitive word on this subject since no other scientists have ever repeated the experiment.

From http://www.madscienc...ensitive_testes

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 15 July 2015 - 09:48 PM.

• Sidestreet, mycowarrier, AGAMA and 4 others like this

#2 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,937 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

These days, we call that S & M.   :biggrin:

• Sidestreet, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,195 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

Ahem.........................................................................................

This may explain your genetic pre-disposition towards scientific experimentation Phin. Curiosity seems to run in your family. I won't hold this particular anecdote as a reflection of your character..................

I would however dissuade you from conducting any of your own pain studies to satisfy your inherent curiosity, with the exception of medicinal remedy's.

I am presently going through a series of electro-shock testing to determine which nerves are causing the pain and loss of feeling on my right side. This story, although amusing in a sadistic sort of way, has elevated my anxiety regarding the next series of shock testing I am scheduled for, and I will now forever have this story embedded in my head, any time anyone says "Lets try an experiment".

I will add that my own family is full of ancestors with "unusual" historys, and leave it at that.

• Sidestreet, mycowarrier, AGAMA and 2 others like this

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

LOL, I also come from a strange family , well some of them anyways
but am not feeling like sharing those stories at this time.

I always thought that the religious fanatics who flogged (whipped) their penis were into s&m.

although putting an ad in the local paper looking for guys willing to undergo
testicle pain experiments  might provide a few laughs.

I have a feeling the us gov has already conducted such research on unwilling subjects.

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,537 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Recording the reaction of another man as you incrementally place heavier and heavier weights on his scrotum is odd enough, but it all seems quite tame compared to some of the stuff I've read about, and have unfortunately seen on the internet, that meth/speed freaks get into with their genital mutilation.

I don't know if it's the amphetamines or the amphetamine-induced sleep-deprived psychosis, but man, people stick crazy uncomfortable things into their urethras and get it into their heads that it'd be a good idea to slam nails, needles, and stuff you can't even imagine into their privates. Or maybe it's the government aliens using the implanted testicle computers just controlling people.

The internet: Educating you until you click that one link or that one thumbnail that turns out to be something completely other than advertised... and then it just crushes you. It just crushes you in the way that a scientist might if he incrementally loaded your scrotum with weight.

• Skywatcher likes this

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

both my parents were sex addicts.

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,615 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

I just freakin' knew it! I had you pegged for a ball-weighter all along. 

• Sidestreet, GadgetGuy, AGAMA and 1 other like this

#8 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

Dang Phin!

Age and gravity have made me hung like a bull!

Aint nothing to be bragging about tho :blush:

just saying..

Edited by mycowarrier, 16 July 2015 - 11:50 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,720 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

With ancestors conducting experiments like that, it's amazing that they had any descendants! Then again, if you're a "Carmichael" and not a "Woollard" then it's probably the case that your ancestor did the stacking. 

But in any case, the reported pain response was clearly due to a lack of proper training. After all, as a slogan I've seen on T-shirts worn by people who teach martial arts for a living points out: There is no such thing as "tough," there is only trained... or un-trained.

I'd like to see someone (other than me) recreate the experiment before and then again after undergoing this rigorous and surprisingly-unpopular training program:

post-102948-0-90234600-1437065208.jpeg

As for me, I'm definitely un-trained... yikes...

Attached Thumbnails

• IronCrotch.jpeg

• mycowarrier, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

Well I am glad no real damage was done, and that the appropriate precursors were still able to be mixed up in the proper concentrations to create the Phin we know and love.

But like Skye said, it does explain something's... :)
  • Skywatcher likes this

#11 gorilla

gorilla

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

sign me up! ive always wondered watd be like to have flat testes. would they still be called balls? maybe plates?
  • Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#12 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

that sounds more like torture.

#13 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,682 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

I suggest that the way your grandfather's lips are puffed out in that picture, and the absolute painful expression in his eyes, that he was indeed the test subject.
  • rainbowsmurf likes this

#14 oneeye1

oneeye1

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 304 posts

Donator

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

You sure your ancestor was english
I mean thats just not cricket

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!