25 replies to this topic

#1 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

These Native American Tribes Legalized Weed, But That Didn't Stop Them From Getting Raided By The Feds

In the foggy early morning hours of Wednesday, July 8, special agents from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the Drug Enforcement Administration and state and local law enforcement descended on the Pit River Tribe’s XL Ranch and the Alturas Indian Rancheria in northeastern California, seizing 12,00 marijuana plants and 100 pounds of processed pot from the two large-scale growing facilities....

Edited by MrGumball, 20 July 2015 - 08:32 PM.

• riseabovethought, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,821 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

Damn! 

If anyone wants to read a very good book about the natives of this area, read: Unwritten History: Life Amongst the Modocs, by Joaquin Miller, 1873.

https://archive.org/...istor00millgoog

From the introduction to the 1972 Orion Press edition, by A. H. Rosenus

"We are reminded by Miller's book that the men who lived in the woods were in the presence of a deity, and that the continent in its natural state once completely satisfied the red man. But to the white settlers -- even before they staked their claims -- it symbolized an agreement with evil: we will do no more evil after we have taken the land for ourselves, that will end our questing and murdering and our religious fanaticism for good. But they were subject to a tradition of change and watched while a succession of inventions inevitably replaced them and their equipment with better possessors. The victors never enjoyed the satisfaction known to the Indian."

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 July 2015 - 08:35 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#3 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

I thought the feds decided that natives could grow weed legally on their own land ???  I'd swear I read that a month or so ago ...

Yep - December 2014 -

http://www.foxnews.c...juana-doj-says/

And that's from the D.O.J. ... they must have been doing something pretty screwy to get busted for growing in CA ....  then again, it's the feds - no telling.

• riseabovethought and Heirloom like this

#4 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

I thought the feds decided that natives could grow weed legally on their own land ??? I'd swear I read that a month or so ago ...

Yep - December 2014 -

http://www.foxnews.c...juana-doj-says/

image.jpg

And that's from the D.O.J. ... they must have been doing something pretty screwy to get busted for growing in CA .... then again, it's the feds - no telling.

Well they were kinda going big. 60,000 plants isn't anything to sneeze at. image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 21 July 2015 - 09:30 AM.

• Myc, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,769 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

Regardless of what they said, or what laws they have passed, the Feds are never going to allow ANYONE to compete on that level with out them getting a substantial cut.

It's all about the power and the money, and a 60,000 plant operation would add up to a lot of both. I am not defending the Feds, but to say that at least a large percentage of that pot was destine to land in the black market seems fairly reasonable, to me at least.

IMO that does fall into what the DOJ has said they will actively enforce, as in large black market operations and interstate transport of pot.
  • kcmoxtractor and Heirloom like this

#6 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

yeah 60k plants is still a little over the top at this point in the legalization movement.

if each plant yielded even 1 oz that's 3,750 lbs. don't think there's any argument to

be made about personal consumption with nearly 2 tons.

• Alder Logs, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,821 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

First check in at the How Much Ganga Do You Smoke thread.

• Myc likes this

#8 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

It seems to me like the Jewish folk got their own country after suffering a genocide of only (yes, I mean only) 6-8 million people.  The native american holocaust (I know I'm the only one to call it that ... that I know of) dwarfs any other that I'm aware of - except for maybe Australia's genocide of natives, but I honestly don't know the numbers on that one.

I don't mean to disparage any population, race, religion, or creed, but it seems like letting the natives grow 60,000 plants on their own land isn't too much to ask.  Since the DOJ said it was legal and stuff.  And - really - it's just weed. 

Trail of tears and all that.

Just sayin'

:)

soliver

• Myc, riseabovethought and Heirloom like this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,769 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

I agree with you on your points Soliver, the native American people have been treated horribly for a very long time, and that they deserve more than what they have been given.

I do however still think that this weed was destine to land other places then the Rez, and that DOJ had made itself clear that this was the type of operation that they would be targeting. The eventual outcome was a given IMO. There is no way they grew that amount of pot to supply just their own nation. The logistics needed to move and sell that amount of pot are staggering.

Do I agree with what the feds are doing, or have done, no I do not. But this was no small operation either, even by KC's conservative estimates, and at a wholesale price of $150 an ounce, this would still bring in 9 million dollars a harvest.

Edited by Juthro, 21 July 2015 - 04:24 PM.

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#10 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

60,000. plants might of been used for edible bud / medicine/ rituals for the entire Nation ,,,ect.

how many were male?

ok lets lower the number. how much went to ritual use / medical ? lets use that number to calculate with  
member of all the tribes? can anyone blame them for helping those not of native American descent?

this seems to defy religious freedoms .
personal use is about 1 person,  not a nation as the Native Americans are considered a sovereign nation
in the USA , many tribe united as 1.

talk later

#11 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

see that's where you're missing the point heirloom, they are still not allowed to

traffick over state lines. the doj's response to native legalization seems to basically

say "grow it on reservation, keep it on reservation". you cannot remove the herbs

from where they are grown because to do so you have to leave the reservation and

travel through other states, using united states federal government property (the

interstate roadway system).

trying to calculate how much is going to what is pretty pointless, my estimate was

stupid low, the actual harvest would have been something like 30 tons! to be blunt,

trying to argue it as personal use or ritual use is patronizing.

• Juthro and Heirloom like this

#12 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

It's hard to argue that they're making it for 'reservation consumption,' but ....

If they don't transport the product, what's the beef? 

I can stockpile 100 gallons of homebrew per person over 21 in my house at any given time ... do I NEED 100 gallons of brew?

Fuck yes I do.  Armageddon and stuff. 

For all we know they were gonna bury that shit for future reference.  Probably not, but  ... until the crime has been committed, there's no crime.  As an american I can stockpile all the shit I want (legal shit, that is) ... and from what I can tell, those guys had a legal grow.  The Feds can't assume it's for interstate sale ...

Well, actually, obviously they can - but they shouldn't. 

Stupid government.

soliver

Saw a news article today - a cat in California died in a car and decomposed.  When they got to his house, he had 1,200 firearms and literal tons of ammo.  That's not illegal - unless they're illegal guns, etc.  No law is broken until it is, right?

#13 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

No law is broken until it is, right?

The 'law' is broken whenever the people calling themselves the government say it is. Their guns are bigger and they're not afraid to use them on you.

• Soliver and MConchis like this

#14 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

And, sadly - that is what it is.

What's even more sad is that I honestly believe this is the greatest country on the planet (unless you own your own island) ...

But we have so much work to do, and I'd say that 99% of the population is content to watch the news feeds and do jack schitt - not even vote for the next white male to cornhole ya (politically - usually) ...

It's mind numbing.  Best to stay under the radar until you can't, then .... well ..... then it's time to throw jumbo marshmallows off of tall buildings just out of curiosity and pay your fines with small change in heavy boxes ...

soliver

#15 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

No law is broken until it is, right?

The 'law' is broken whenever the people calling themselves the government say it is. Their guns are bigger and they're not afraid to use them on you.

even then you still get your day in court, which is what will happen with these folks.

#16 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

the other thing this article doesn't touch on is how the feds found out about

this, and what got them their warrant. a judge wouldn't grant a search warrant

just based on the sheer #s, there had to be some intelligence or information

(informant) that indicated to LEO that this herb was destined for somewhere else.

#17 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

even then you still get your day in court, which is what will happen with these folks.

Lucky them.

Wasting their time and money (and tax payer money) for a man in a black dress and a team of bureaucrats to tell them whether it's okay to grow some plants and sell/deliver them to consenting individuals. Maybe to top it off, members of the tribe will be kidnapped and put into a cage. 

Edited by August West, 22 July 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#18 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

lucky them indeed to be a part of the populace who, like myself, have been

brave enough to stand up and fight, to be a part of the drug war. i feel pride

that i contributed to the statistics of arrests for marijuana, because if nobody

was getting arrested and everyone was respecting the law, it would never change.

This quote is from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a letter written to his fellow

clergymen from a Birmingham jail.

One who breaks an unjust law must do so openly, lovingly, and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

• Myc and Alder Logs like this

#19 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

kcmoxtractor as far as interstate transportation goes , their are a very small number of Native Americans who are allowed to pick and transport  peyote from Texas to other tribes in other states and they do it legally.

be nice if 12 of our members served as the jury, we could use jury nullification and legalize it nation wide right away.

#20 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

kcmoxtractor as far as interstate transportation goes , their are a very small number of Native Americans who are allowed to pick and transport  peyote from Texas to other tribes in other states and they do it legally.

you can grow pot anywhere, peyote not so much.

the feds also very clearly defined what was ok and what wasn't in this instance.

• Juthro and Heirloom like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!