grave

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

ok i had a question
when two seperate fungi are in the same proximity
are they inertly hostile to each other
or do they coexist as long as there is enough food for both.
do they live happily next to each other until they run out of food and then they try to take over the other one. and if so..do they eat the other fungus?

im thinking about when a jar gets contamned, and you see myc next to mold. or am i confusing the two. fungus being different than mold entirely.

just something that was picking my brain

#2 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

i think mold usually has power over our mycellium. Thats whay you lose your cakes to green, the mold will take over. However if two strains of mushrooms are colonizing the same substrate, one strain will most likely take over the whole substrate.

(I beleieve) Species of mushrooms can be mixed within agar by using the eventual dikaryotic formations (which have what look like little hooks at the ends)........if 2 strains were started on opposite sides of a plate and the "dikaryotic hooks" are carefully manipulated and allowed to hook then you would have a mix......

#3 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:42 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

when two seperate fungi are in the same proximity
are they inertly hostile to each other
or do they coexist as long as there is enough food for both.
do they live happily next to each other until they run out of food and then they try to take over the other one. and if so..do they eat the other fungus?
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
depends on species,
any of those possibilities might occur
but in general the disappearance of one fungus,
apparently eaten by another,
is just superficial,
the other fungus is still lurking at microscopic level, biding its' time until more favorable conditions allow it to re-emerge.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!