SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Introduction:

Ok, I've been hinting at a new "Mad Science" grow, and here it begins!

For those of you new to the forum, or who did not see my first grow log, here's the link: coffee-quinoa-peroxide-cake

The spore prints for this new log came from that grow, and started out as a single syringe of Golden Teachers.

So I shall start by first building my LC tools and Glove box step by step and see how this progresses.

From there, assuming a good amount of LC, we shall innoculate a set of Q-BRF cakes, that is using part brown rice flour, and part quinoa flour ( you did not know they make quinoa flour?)...

Why all this obsession with quinoa? Because it is a super food that contains all of the needed raw ingredients for potent actives. My previous grow proved this out using the whole grain, but it was slow to colonize. With LC and flour quinoa, colonization should be much faster!

Stay tuned!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 08 August 2015 - 09:35 PM.

• AndyBaLLz likes this

#2 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

IMG_20150808_205447980.jpg
Here we have our work items laid out on the table...and yes, the pickle jar next to my beer is all that remains of my earlier harvest... :(

But that's why we're here!

IMG_20150808_214229674.jpg
This next pic shows our canning lid tops with 2 holes drilled with a drill press. These LC jars are standard 2 cup jelly jars with the small lids.

IMG_20150808_215931673_HDR.jpg
This pic shows what are commonly called "lances"

Those into S&M may have a different name for them, nipple peircers or some such...

Anyway, these will provide the gas port for the LC jar.

IMG_20150808_215942279.jpg
Here is the lance removed from its little package.
  • MLBjammer and AndyBaLLz like this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

IMG_20150808_220227401.jpg
Adding the silicon to mold in the gas port and the self healing injection port.

I used Dap waterproof rtv silicone with mold resistance to keep the contams at bay.

IMG_20150808_220234707.jpg
Bottom view of ports.

IMG_20150808_220917420.jpg
The finished LC jars.

IMG_20150808_221602966.jpg
Time to work on the glove box!

The plan, because I am using prints I made, is to create 4 jars of LC from spore, then 4 separate agar plates as well which will be made into 4 more jars of LC. If we get 50% success rate we will hopefully have at least 4 jars to begin inoculation with.

Gotta find me some marbles to break up the mycelium in the jars as well...
  • MLBjammer, peacefrog, happy4nic8r and 4 others like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,808 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:35 AM

Pulling up a chair, and wish you a good project Steampunk.

Peace and luck,
Juth

#5 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Thank-you Juthrow! This being my first LC attempt, and having read through numerous teks, I found Hippy3's simplifications to be quite inspiring, so this is a hat tip to a man I truly wish I had the fortune to meet....well, perhaps one day on the other side. :)

#6 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

I make my LC lids the same way, but I use the plastic lids.

Carry on.

#7 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Hey Pasta, are those plastic "canning" lids, or are you using different type containers? Always looking for other angles...

#8 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

I don't even use holes in my lids for anything but grain only for the filter to give good clean general gas exchange. I just barely lift the lid off just enough to get the syringe or agar wedge in there for LC and and open up my cake jars the same for the syringe. I'm not saying that holes are not good and not needed, but that's just I have done it for some time now.
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

If you have a working sterile box, you don't need holes, in my opinion, so another vote for quick inoculation in a clean area.

I am just about to try the thick filter discs for the quart jars. I usually just leave the lids cracked a bit when they get close to colonized.

• peacefrog likes this

#10 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

I don't even use holes in my lids for anything but grain only for the filter to give good clean general gas exchange. I just barely lift the lid off just enough to get the syringe or agar wedge in there for LC and and open up my cake jars the same for the syringe. I'm not saying that holes are not good and not needed, but that's just I have done it for some time now.

I have read that, but want to try to be super clean here. Trouble is I am not certain how contam free my prints are. Overkill in cleanliness can't hurt. Once I got me some good LCs, then I will go back to my simpler peroxide clean routine, but for now I am doing it by the book...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 09 August 2015 - 03:10 PM.

• peacefrog likes this

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

Absolutely I agree, you should. I wasn't trying to convince you not to utilize holes. I was just throwing out there that's my preferred style. Good vibes! Keep us posted.

#12 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hey Pasta, are those plastic "canning" lids, or are you using different type containers? Always looking for other angles...

Plastic canning lids.

lclid001.jpg

#13 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:59 PM

Very cool Pasta - I may have to look into those...

Anyway - I have been scrounging around for "Cuffs" for my glovebox.  I am using Luan panalling to make a glove faceplate for my box because I dont want to cut up the clear plastic top that goes with it (see earlier pix).

Also, I am going to use a version of MusroomJoes "Cheap Ass Agar" formula found on this thread: karo potato flakes agar as I am not going to pay exorbident amounts of money for "Dextrose" when Karo works just fine.  I am thinking of using potato water instead of the flakes however.

I just need to find my damn petri dishes! I know I have them stashed somewhere....

Stay tined, more pics soon I promise!

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,808 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

I like those plastic canning lids as well, though I generally make my own self healing ports and use a air port syringe or a wad of pollyfill for gas exchange.

@ Pasta, Have you had good luck with those store purchased self healing ports and air filters? I have looked at them before, but never got around to trying them.

#15 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Well, I'm a cheap ass, so if I can make it, I usually do... But I have to admit those do look nice.

#16 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

TBH I just made the switch over to plastic last December and I've yet to test the LCs that I've made.

But, with the grain jar lids I'm using pieces of SFDs over the GE hole instead of the syringe filters, and those lids are working just fine.

• Juthro likes this

#17 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

I have tried so many styles of glove boxes over the years and this VERY low tek one works great for me no cuffs, holes etc. only a clear tote, clean towel all sprayed generously with bleach water:
image.jpg

Again let me say I'm not trying to say that by going the extra mile for cleanliness is wrong or a bad thing, just sharing what works for me.

Edited by peacefrog, 12 August 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#18 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

I appreciate that Frog, I will post up my pics tonight as I am completing the glove box (finally!) I need to get those LCs and agar plates going!

#19 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Good luck on your grow!

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Okay hybrid glove box is done. Here are the steps.

IMG_20150812_192857552.jpg
So I'm using 2 Rubbermaid disposable containers as the cuffs, you will see why in a moment...

IMG_20150812_201635494.jpg

I need to cut the holes in the luan in a place that makes sense for this rather small glovebox. So I set my arms in a working position.

IMG_20150812_201849407_HDR.jpg
I don't know, do you think I could enter this in the BNL contest?

Anyway, this is the position of the holes...

IMG_20150812_204421797.jpg
Here is the reason for the containers... You see my hands are very large (that's right ladies, and they don't make hand gloves in "maxim" size)...

So I have to force them in, which would end up destroying the glove box. Also, having those gloves flopping around in there and taking up space is a pain.

So.... I will just cap the containers when not using the gloves. I then can alcohol the gloves and cuffs and slio them inbwhile working. When done take the swabbed cap and snap in place. I saw this suggestion from someone on the forum last year and thought it brilliant!
IMG_20150812_205349478.jpg

As you can see the little tabs provide a place for screws, and I used rtv to seal it all up.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!